Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convention Attention: HOW ANNOYING! D:< Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm
Godess The Hyper Fangirl
Le Fuwa Kitty
Getting autograph's for 50 million different things, when people behind you wanted only one thing signed.

Seriously, this happened at FanExpo in Toronto, Canada last year.

Since Aaron Dismuke was there, fangirls brought up to 10 volumes of FMA manga that they wanted signed.

Me, on the other hand, wanted him to sign my One Piece wallscroll, I'd shake his hand and go, end of story.

But no. It took over an hour for three people to get through and I almost missed out, and the people behind me missed out as well. It was quite saddening.

Protip: Minimize what you want to get signed, since many people don't abide by the "only one thing signed" rule that's usually in effect at most conventions. Bring a camera if they don't mind pictures, it's usually 100 times better then just a name scrawled on a piece of paper.
Homg I remember that. I didn't even get to the line it was so huge when we got there. It was maddening. Usually they'll put a limit on how many things you can get signed. Usually, because I pack light, I pick the best thing I'd want them to sign and bring that.

That's insane! Did they like, pull up a little wagon with them? I have trouble finding places to put my wallet let along 10 volumes of manga.
(( I don't like bulging pockets ))  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm
Mirialiah
Tsuki Nushi
What about when you're trying to make plans to go to the con, and there's always at least one person who won't make up their mind until it's almost/too late? I'm not talking about the people who live off minimum wage/financial aid; that's understandable.

I'm talking about the people who sit there for months and pull that "I don't know if I'll have the money" or "I wanna wait to see how much spending money I can get" crap. Seriously, if you wanna go, then make the effort to go. Get off of your Facebook and X-box for 10 minutes to count your money and buy your badge.

If money's such an issue, maybe they shouldn't be at the mall, the movies, or game store all the freaking time spending it.

People who aren't the least bit prepared piss me off too. They had months to go online and look stuff up! How can they not know where their hotel is, or what the rules are, or what's going on that day?

I second this. In my case, the person's situation didn't really have to do with money. It had to do with communication (of the email variety).

We asked him if he wanted to go with us and he said he'd think about it. Then he told one of the 6 of us that he would go. We asked if he was sure cause we didn't want to book a hotel room until he said yes for certain (cause the guys would have to split the price of the hotel). We couldn't get a straight answer out of him cause he wouldn't answer his email and apparently nobody had his phone number (we didn't know he had one). We were told that he missed pre-registration so we were all thinking he'd have to pay when he got there and that made us think he might drop out on us.

He did end up coming and we found out once we got there that he had paid indeed paid pre-reg. so he got to wait in line with us instead which was nice. He and one of the other guys split off from the rest of the group and we didn't see them for almost the entire rest of the con (except for the evening when we were back at the hotel rooms.)

We had tried to have multiple con-group meetings before the actual convention so that we could get to know each other and he came to like...one of them (out of 5 or something?) Instead, he went on a date with like...4 different girls (each of the times was conveniently when we were wanting to meet as a group). Eventually he ended up dating one of them (which is cool) but mannnn. >.<

It was just really frustrating.

He didn't cosplay either which is fine but it made it a little weird because 5 of the 7 going did. It made it harder cause so much of the con for us was standing and getting pictures taken and taking pictures of (and for) other people.

So...yeah.

You know, it's kinda nice seeing someone of the same con-preparedness mind frame. Because I do those things too. I try to have monthly meetings to discuss plans, and go to pre-reg, and all that stuff. All my friends think I'm a spaz.

But I digress. Yes, those are all very annoying things that can happen. I mean, if you're gonna go, then you should make it easy on the person planning by giving them a definite answer, sharing your phone number, etc.

The only thing I can kinda understand is him splitting off from the group. Me and my friends always end up splitting up to do our own little things, but we make the effort of meeting up at least once each day. That way we can all see the things we want, without having to deprive someone else of what they wanna do.

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

ghosteroni

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:04 pm
No Idea if i've posted on this already, but, I have a whole LIST of what annoys me xD
1. The guys with the shops... I swear they must have some club against me... it happens in every con! I pay double, sometimes triple for everything! And that guy behind me pays the normal price.
2. People who hate fun or are too serious...and the people in charge could at least try to be nice...
4. Game rooms.
5. Elevators! Those things always end up messing up my costume or result in everyone in my group getting stuck on the top floor.
6. Non-con-goers... Going with #5, I once got stuck in one (this con was in a hotel) and the non-con-goer flipped out at me...
7. Pre-reg people changing the prices in the middle of the year.
8. Large groups! Always, Always, Always, someone gets ditched or insulted or injured.
9. How much money and life I spend on these... I could've bought a house with all this xD.
10. People who don't shower! Or people who are just totally unclean...
11. Not really the most annoying, but, I know we all go through puberty and all...but the acne is sometimes very bothersome o.e
12. People who kick you out of a con for no reason.
13. Shoes.
14. Wigs ratting up or getting itchy/bothersome.
15. Chest Bindings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16. The guys who hog all of the games or take control of everything for long periods of time.
17. Being sat on by my friends....happens every frigg'n time...
18. People grabbing, touching, breaking your cosplay/items.
19. All the stuff we get! And the huge bags get annoying after like an hour.
20. The makeup and the sweating! When you're in 100-degree weather wearing all black with caked-on makeup, wow.
I have so many more...but i think that'll take up this page xD  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:08 am
I got one.

When you meet that one cosplayer who is in a fowl mood, but an amazing costume. I was shooting some footage of Anime Punch, and I just happen to glance at her, watching this guy in cool armor behind her and she stood there and sent me the nastiest look I had ever gotten. Her costume was great, very detailed, very pretty, but apparently I had offended her with my camera pointing in her general direction. It's an anime convention, if your cosplaying, or in some amazingly odd lolly getup, everyones gonna assume you want the attention, and are gonna take pictures and catch you in video footage, whether they mean too or not. Just cause you can see my video camera and it's not concealed in a phone doesn't mean you need to get shitty.

...I feel better. biggrin

nadaniasang

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:20 am
[rant]

One of the things that really bothers me is when assholes decide they're going to make it "Let's make this stranger feel like s**t day." I think you know what I mean. (Or perhaps I'm alone in this one.)

There will be one or two elitist pricks who EVERY TIME they see you they make snide comments about you in voice and volumes where they're pretending you can't hear them, but they obviously want you to.

I'll be honest, I'm not one of those 'sexy cosplay' body types, and I costume accordingly. Corsets, flattering robes and kimonos, things to cover up a 45-35-48, 5'9" figure. I know that someone is going to have a beef with my size; it's a given in today's world, and it's even more evident in American cosplay.

I don't need to hear it from other people (ever been told you're too fat to cosplay by someone FATTER than you?), and I don't appreciate it when I worked my a** off to make sure everything is respectable looking.

I also don't appreciate the rude comments that you get when you do a lesser-known character. I'm sorry you don't know who I am. It doesn't mean that I 'Should do a more well known character'.

[/rant]  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm
^
This

nadaniasang

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:42 pm
Doctor Iris Rowley
[rant]

One of the things that really bothers me is when assholes decide they're going to make it "Let's make this stranger feel like s**t day." I think you know what I mean. (Or perhaps I'm alone in this one.)[/rant]

You aren't dear. I think we've all encountered them.

However if you are (or are around) cosplay/masquerade staff hardly anyone does it. I even got to glare down a couple cosplay snobs last year; there is no better feeling in the world.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:23 pm
Dictator Shuri
new mothers who bring their infants to a convention. i see that all the time and i always think of what could end up happening to the poor kid D:

xD

I brought my one year old to Anime Expo in 2009.
Luckily for me, I gave birth one month after Anime Expo hit, so Arwen wasn't an infant when I brought her for the first time.

As for contributing, I hate it when cosplayers think they are the s**t and think they're superior to everyone else.

Its a costume, so shut up. scream
Also when people think its okay to try to touch my daughter without permission first.
Almost threw down with someone because he touched Arwen and she started crying. (Arwen dislikes men for some reason).

I also agree wholeheartedly with Doctor Iris Rowley.  

Stop Touching My Fetus

Quotable Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Frosted Muffin Cakes

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:43 pm
Ugh, I have some things to rant about...

1 - People who can't communicate. At a convention in Summer 2009, we had a room with 10 people in it, with only four keys. Two among us has no cell phones. One of them hung out with the main group the whole time, so it was fine, but the other one hung out with an entirely separate group of friends, and we could rarely reach him all weekend. Since he was hanging out with other people, he insisted that he get his own key, so we had to figure out how we could spare one. And then! At Anime Detour that same year, one of my sister's friends was getting a ride in/home from us. She gave us all her cell phone number, and we thought it would be fine. She then proceeded to ditch my sister shortly after arriving, and turned off her cell phone. I was that close to leaving her there...
2 - People who refuse to cooperate when I'm being the logistics b***h. I am more than happy to plan everything out in advance (way advance: I'm already planning for ACen 2011), but some of my friends just refuse to cooperate with me. They won't tell me if they're going, or if they're staying in our hotel room, or anything. So annoying.
3 - People who think they're the only ones at the con who matter. While this basically goes for the con all over, it bothers me while I'm behind my table in the artist alley the most. People will regularly stop and hold conversations in front of my table, blocking the entire thing. This past Detour, the girl at the table next to me was really good (and a sweetheart. heart ). Unfortunately, the people stopping to look would occasionally regularly spill over and block my table entirely. I really wanted to put up a "No Loitering" sign.
Also, people who steal from the artist alley. Seriously? What's wrong with them.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:00 pm
Stop Touching My Fetus

Also when people think its okay to try to touch my daughter without permission first.
Almost threw down with someone because he touched Arwen and she started crying. (Arwen dislikes men for some reason).

I can't blame you. I've always been protective of the munchkins in my family; if someone came up and tried to poke at them they'd walk away with less teeth. Though anime cons generally break down alot of normal boundary's with adults, all the normal rules with kids still apply, plus you really could get punched since so many parents are on high alert when in such a crowded area.  

nadaniasang

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 am
Charmful IncarnatE
Godess The Hyper Fangirl
Le Fuwa Kitty
Getting autograph's for 50 million different things, when people behind you wanted only one thing signed.

Seriously, this happened at FanExpo in Toronto, Canada last year.

Since Aaron Dismuke was there, fangirls brought up to 10 volumes of FMA manga that they wanted signed.

Me, on the other hand, wanted him to sign my One Piece wallscroll, I'd shake his hand and go, end of story.

But no. It took over an hour for three people to get through and I almost missed out, and the people behind me missed out as well. It was quite saddening.

Protip: Minimize what you want to get signed, since many people don't abide by the "only one thing signed" rule that's usually in effect at most conventions. Bring a camera if they don't mind pictures, it's usually 100 times better then just a name scrawled on a piece of paper.
Homg I remember that. I didn't even get to the line it was so huge when we got there. It was maddening. Usually they'll put a limit on how many things you can get signed. Usually, because I pack light, I pick the best thing I'd want them to sign and bring that.

That's insane! Did they like, pull up a little wagon with them? I have trouble finding places to put my wallet let along 10 volumes of manga.
(( I don't like bulging pockets ))
I know right?! It's like what the hell, where did you get all this s**t from? They're probably are congoers who stay at a hotel. But still, it's kind of rude to the guest and to the people in line. Like I said, I bring one thing I really want signed the most. I remember that the same day, I went to see Derek Stephen Prince and my friend was in the Brad Swaylie(is that how you spell it?) line and she couldn't get over, so she gave me her keyblade to get signed. Another reason to pack light, emergencies >< I didn't mind because at that point it was only two things. I think he might have had a limit of 3 items though, which is completely reasonable.

I could tell security was getting pissed about Crispin Freeman. I went to ask if I could line up for Derek Stephen Prince and he's like 'Please don't tell me you're asking about the 6 o'clock guy..' I know it's been a long day but don't be pissed at me gonk  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 am
nadaniasang
Stop Touching My Fetus

I can't blame you. I've always been protective of the munchkins in my family; if someone came up and tried to poke at them they'd walk away with less teeth. Though anime cons generally break down alot of normal boundary's with adults, all the normal rules with kids still apply, plus you really could get punched since so many parents are on high alert when in such a crowded area.
3nodding

We parents are SRS BSNS when it comes to crowds of people mixing in with their kids.

Its just how it works. lol
Glad you understand. Not many do. D:  

Stop Touching My Fetus

Quotable Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

nadaniasang

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:03 am
Stop Touching My Fetus
nadaniasang
Stop Touching My Fetus

3nodding

We parents are SRS BSNS when it comes to crowds of people mixing in with their kids.

Its just how it works. lol
Glad you understand. Not many do. D:

I'm always SRS BSNS. > biggrin I think you have to actually be responsible for kids for awhile before you realize why certain lines shouldn't be crossed. Most people at cons don't understand I think because once they have a kid, they stop going until the little one isn't little anymore, partially because of what you pointed out, but mostly because chilins don't handle big activities like running around a con all day well.

I have a question though! Does your toddler cosplay yet? I surmised that when I have my first kid, I'm going to go as Lulu and make them my little mogul. whee  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:24 pm
She does!

Last year she was a Moogle.
This year, she's gonna be a Pikachu.
cool

Also, epic picture was epic. She took a pic with a Lulu Cosplayer.

It was made of win.  

Stop Touching My Fetus

Quotable Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Maruul

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:59 am
Stop Touching My Fetus
She does!

Last year she was a Moogle.
This year, she's gonna be a Pikachu.
cool

Also, epic picture was epic. She took a pic with a Lulu Cosplayer.

It was made of win.
That... is awesome... heart
My boyfriend and I wanna do Espeon and Umbreon and I asked him "Can we steal a baby and dress it up like an Eevee? :3 " He said no...  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff