Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Second Year Classes
History of Magic II (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:26 pm
User Image
Gypsy is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Adorkable in Historyspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Classmatesspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Amusedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Learn on your own... no kidding. And she thinks my smart mouth is what got her trouble...' spacespac

ஒ ஒ ஒ Who shot that arrow in your throat?
ஒ ஒ ஒ Who missed the crimson apple? ஒ ஒ ஒ
It hung heavy on the tree above your head ஒ ஒ ஒ
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

Gypsy had actually decided to go to History of Magic, a fact that she was still thoroughly amazed by. History was a total drag, and last year's professor had been a pain in the arse. But, she'd heard that he wasn't the normal professor, that the usual History professor had been one of the coma victims last term. He was awake now, and apparently was supposed to be one of the best teachers in the whole school... so she'd decided to give the guy a chance. Her parchment and quill were already out, and within seconds of the lesson beginning, it was already covered in doodles. Oh, she'd take notes on the lesson, just like everyone else... hers were just going to be much more disorganized. Whatever. People were less likely to cheat off of her that way... as if they'd want to. When Ronna piped up and commented on last year's lessons, she snorted. For once she and blonde were in perfect agreement, although she was pretty certain that 'learn on your own' was the understatement of the century. Still, the fact that the Gryffindor had totally blamed her and Jer for her detention last term was complete bollocks. Ronna didn't need any help getting in trouble; her smart mouth was bound to do it for her. Gypsy felt like the girl should probably just drop the 'good student' act, because it wasn't very convincing.

═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          ஒ ஒ ஒ This chaos, this calamity, this garden once was perfect
                                                          Give your immortality to me; I'll set you up against the stars
                                                          ஒ ஒ ஒ

User Image

(( OOC: ))

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 pm
User Image
Sariwa Harris

| Second year | Hufflepuff | Muggleborn |

Sariwa actually looked forward to this class now that they had a new professor. He seemed a lot nicer and she got a feeling that he would actually teach them something. Reading History of Magic was like reading muggle fantasy books, except for the fact that it was all real. This just made the subject even more interesting.

Sariwa

Shadowy Lunatic

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 pm
I have screamed until my veins collapsed
I've waited as my time's elapsed

Now, all I do is live with so much hate
I've wished for this, I've bitched at that
I've left behind this little fact:

You cannot kill what you did not create
I've gotta say what I've gotta say
And then I swear I'll go away

But I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

User Image

𝔇mitri 𝕲rigori 𝔎amenev
я никому не уступлю
of house Slytherin ___________ Twelve Years Old
Second Year

User Image

Dmitri had been quite fond of the substitute last year, there was no running amuck of the students, the lesson was straight forward and blunt, it was quick, with very little participation needed. Yes, he was quite fond of it. His face was probably the only of the many students he walked into class that day that may have seemed even slightly depressed at the sight of Professor Powell. He’d heard plenty about the professor, and had been told on numerous occasions that he would have won professor of the year if it hadn’t been for that coma. Begrudgingly, he meandered into the classroom and plopped down carefully into a seat, his head now thoroughly lost in the clouds.

We’re never who we say we are.
                          1.5m (5ft) and 45kg (98lbs)

User Image

User Image

I guess I'll save the best for last
My future seems like one big past ________

You're left with me 'cause you left me no choice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 pm
User Image

User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson walked into the classroom, eyes already taking in the room. He walked up to the chalkboard and, picking up a piece of chalk, quickly wrote something on the board.

Professor Powell
Ollivander Family

Placing the chalk down, he looked over the class. "Welcome back, class. Last time, we went over what you had previously learned in class last year. Today we're going to be going over the history of the Ollivander family.

"The Ollivander family arrived in England around the time the Romans did about 382 BC, when the first Ollivander arrived. Upon seeing the quality of wands the ancient Britons used, he decided to set up shop and provide a better quality to the people here.

His descendants practiced the art of wandmaking, each successive generation building upon the knowledge of the previous. Each brought a distinctive viewpoint viewpoint to the craft, and even specialized to suit their needs, as well as the needs of the wizarding community. The last Ollivander to own the wandshop, Garrick, even went as far as to ensure that only the finest products would go into each wand, and also had a knack for remembering every wand ever sold in his shop."

He looked about the classroom. "Now, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I'm pretty sure that there are some floating about in your heads, and I have no problem answering them."

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: ...
----------------------------------

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

x-Phoenix Phyre-x

Obsessive Bibliophile

9,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:33 pm
User Image
Nessarose Joy O'Fehrehy
`•.¸¸.••´´¯``•• .¸¸.•´

Second Year ~ Hufflepuff ~ Single ~ Muggleborn

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

With: No one

Nessa listened in curiously as the professor explained the history of the Ollivanders. Actually, she did have one question, not necessarily about the family but about wands in general. Raising her hand, she started speaking quietly. "Umm, sir? How many different kinds of wands are there? It seems like everybody I meet has a different wand, but... How many different kinds of things can people make wands out of?"

o White-Raven o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:12 pm
User Image

User Image
"The violin plays a soft melody,
as my mind starts to feel ease.
Let the music wash over my soul,
make my mind pure and whole.
Let me be renewed."

Victor walked into the History of Magic classroom, as he sat down his things and took a seat near the middle of class. So they were to learn about the Ollivander family? Weren't they wand-makers or something?

Victor then listened as the professor started to explain the history of the family. He was amazed to learn that wand-making was such serious business, then felt like an idiot.
Of course it was...most wizards used wands. Though he had seen a few that seemed to hold no wand...but still managed to do magic. Were they unique or something?

At the mention of questions he noticed Nessa raise her hand and smiled at the question, it was a good one. He also raised his hand to ask a question, "Adding onto Nessa's question...I've seen some wizards and witches perform spells and such without a wand, how are zey able to perform zis when most use wands?"

I feel curious you know?
My inner thoughts are, "Are they like...wands themselves?"
I'm in the house of Hufflepuff.
I am a proud second year
My puppeteer says "..." Out of character.

Squeeky Luff

1,750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:45 pm
User Image
Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told

User Image

Jer entered the class and blinked at the board. He went to Ollivanders for his wand, but he rarely used it. Something about everything blowing up around him whenever he did use it being a big detractor to using it, to be honest. So when Victor asked about people that didn't use their wands being special, he blinked. He... really wasn't all that special. He just was used to not using a wand. If he used his, well... Maybe he was matched wrong to his or something? He doubted it. Maybe it was because he was too used to casting magic without one. In any case, he had to answer Victor's question himself. "I think i' has ta do wit' focus? I mean, if yer used ta castin' magic through a wand, i' makes i' harder, I think. I mean, I know I don' use one, an' tend ta mess up spells when I use mine, so maybe that's th' answer? And maybe those people tha' use wands tend ta practice withou' 'em to make i' work. I mean, it's really hard a' firs' castin' spells withou' a wand, bu' once ya pass tha' hurdle, it's pretty easy. I' jus', comes easily afterward." That was the best way he could explain it. He'd never cast spells with a wand before Hogwarts, so maybe it was the opposite and he needed work casting with a wand? Not that it was working for him, actually.

-------------------------------------------
State: Trying to explain, maybe?

And I feel something so wrong
By doing the right thing
I could lie, could lie, could lie
Everything that downs me makes me wanna fly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:01 pm

User Image

𝔇mitri 𝕲rigori 𝔎amenev
я никому не уступлю
Second Year

User Image

Dmitri had been less intrigued with this lesson, then he had with the review that still spiraled in his head with the rebounding voices of all of his lovely classmates, and their high pitched voices. He couldn’t fight back the urge to roll his eyes. He leaned forward on his desk as he scribbled the name Ollivander down, just to try and embed its spelling into his memory (what! He wasn’t going to lose grades just because he kept spelling a stupid name wrong!) He sighed irritably, but he wasn’t sure why. Maybe it was because of the stress his mother and aunt had proceeded to drown him under, or maybe it was because he was sick and tired of spying all the time, and, just wanted to have fun! Hell, maybe even be normal! Who knew what he might try, if he had the time to do so…

When the professor prodded for questions, he glanced around the room. Several were wide eyed and brimming with questions, while others, he realized with a bit of snarl, had taken to answering those questions. Tch, as if they knew. It was hard to understand just what his ‘supposed’ fellow Slytherin had to say, but when he did decipher the heavy accent, he tsk’d his tongue sarcastically. ”Hn, it iz probably be-cause of the vands. Ollivander vands are not like Gregorovitch’s, ‘dey are more, hmm, decorated? Gregorovitch vands are natural, easier to transfer the magic.” He stated simply. It was stock opinion, but despite the fact that both Gregorovitch and Ollivander are gone, their wands are still well known and the Eastern Euporean world had high esteem for Gregorovitch, as the Britain’s do for Ollivander.

User Image

User Image

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am
Diamond Wales
User Image

User Image

Jer blinked as he listened to his 'fellow' Slytherin speak up, frowning. Honestly he doubted it had anything to do with the wand, particularly where it was between nicely carved or natural-looking. He just sucked using them. Besides, hadn't the Russian kid used magic before coming to Hogwarts? If that was the case, then why did having a carved or a natural wand make any difference? Though, maybe it had more to do with pride, like the wands of his homeland were superior or something. "I really don' think i' has anythin' ta do wit' tha', either. Like, 'ow does one bein' prettier 'ave anythin' ta do wit' how i' works? Seems kinda shady, if ya ask me. A bi' o' spi' an' polish don't make sonethin' work better, ya know. I' jus' makes 'em look nicer."

State: Trying to explain, maybe?

By doing the right thing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:21 pm
User ImageUser Image
Blood Status: Muggleborn
Wand: Inflexible//13 inches//Laurel//Dragon Heartstring
Current Age: 12
Year at Hogwarts: 2nd year
Height: 5'3"

➳ ➳ ➳

[Wearing:Updated Uniform]
Company: Classmates

➳ ➳ ➳

And I thought it was just the Gryffindors arguing among themselves.

➳ ➳ ➳

Ronna had chosen to sit near the middle of the classroom, which was usually the habit and swiftly noted the notes on the board in her notes and waited for any potential questions to arise, though, she had figured the topic was a pretty cut and dry one. Instead, Nessa diverged the topic to the variety of wands their could be, and Ronna smiled and realized that in theory as long as you knew every potential magical core and every potential magical wood you could with a fairly simple equation figure it out. Was it Einstein or someone else who figured the equation out?

As she wondered Victor spoke up to ask about wandless magic and then Jer spoke up and then Dmitri about wand quality-one maker verses another-and then Jer countering. She set her chin in her left palm as she tapped the feather tip of her quill on her paper and she held back a sigh, by this point the class wasn't even about the Ollivanders family. She considered asking a question just to reroute the question back to the real topic of the class and then she really realized she actually was curious and merely scribbled down her question figuring it wasn't worth trying to fit her question in even though it was more relevant.

The question on her parchment read: What made the first Ollivander think his wand superior to the original Britons' wands?

User Image

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:14 pm

User Image

𝔇mitri 𝕲rigori 𝔎amenev
я никому не уступлю
Second Year

User Image

Dmitri rolled his eyes. ”Typical Briton,” he mocked him. Head tilted back, icy eyes glared down his nose at Jeremy. ”It iz not décor-ing of vand, it iz simplicity. The natural vand iz easy to harness magic, less, eh, ‘jewels and glamor’ to focus through. It iz to be thought as extenzion of arm, much easy to do vid vand natural.” He nodded wisely, obviously implying there was no room for argument. He nodded, too, in a dismissal sort of fashion, like relieving the ‘common help’ from their duties to leave him be, because that’s all he felt Jeremy would ever amount to be. The help. He’d do in much nicely with the house elves, Dimi believe in full. And now, with that thought in mind, had begun to wonder if there wasn’t a way to permanently excommunicate Jeremy Long from the House of Slytherin altogether; the best disappearing act he could ever ask for.

User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:07 pm
User ImageUser Image

➳ ➳ ➳

➳ ➳ ➳

Can we get back to the point of class?

➳ ➳ ➳

"While I am sure this debate would be fascinating for modern wand lore or modern magical studies, Dmitri," Ronna spoke up, "I actually have a question more related to History of Magic and the history of wand lore and Ollivander's. What was it that made the original Ollivander wand so superior to the original Britons' wands? Was it that he merely thought they were superior or was there something in the make that actually surpassed the other, Professor?"

She looked down at her wand at her desk and raised a brow, it was actually fairly simple and straight with merely two simple spiral rings around the otherwise straight laurel shaft. In her opinion she had always thought her wand was fairly simple compared to many but maybe it still wasn't simple enough in the opinion of the Russian-like she cared. She liked her wand. It was loyal to her as she was to it.

User Image

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:36 pm
User Image

User Image

Jer snorted. More natural, right. He could give the Russian kid more natural. "And yew fnk that's natural? I 'ave somethin' mawer natural van tha'. Try castin' wivaaah' a wand. I'll just si' back an' watch yew blow yaaahrself up 'rying. OK?" He may or may not be getting annoyed by this whole dismissal of him because of being 'lesser'. If anything, this was the main reason he refused to even sit with his house. When Ronna spoke up, he looked over at her, annoyed with her, especially since she had never apologized or anything, and seemed to believe he was the root cause of all of her troubles. Nope, that was all her. "And you! Thee fnk yer oh so much be'er van everyone else, decidin' what one simple word is an insul' ter you. I 'ave two sisters wha' would bea' me 'ead in if I even though' they couldn' 'andle as much as I can, if no' mawer. Don' yew even dare go in'er wha' feminis' crap wiv me, I was raised by me sister, an' she's a stronger girl van yew could ever be!"

State: Finally ticked
OOC: mc2, this was a planned fight between Jer and Dmitri, just an fyi.

By doing the right thing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 am
User ImageUser Image

➳ ➳ ➳

➳ ➳ ➳

Okay... not back to class then.

➳ ➳ ➳

Ronna's natural inclination would be to snap back at Jer. She hadn't even mentioned Jeremy only Dmitri and said they were veering off topic. She closed her breath and took a few long deep breaths, debating if it was worth detention over: it wasn't. "Don't pick fights with me because your irritated at Dmitri," She sighed. "Anyways, getting involved isn't my interest. I'm not get detention over this."

She rolled her blue eyes and glanced away, if the two Slytherins wanted to argue modern wand lore in History of Magic class she'd just focus on something else. Slightly irritated she pulled out her potions book to study from figuring she would use their waste of time to her advantage. Eventually the professor was bound to get them back on track.

User Image

{OOC: no wonder it seemed strange the professor hasn't spoken up yet}  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Amadeli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
Eleanora McKenny
Hufflepuff Second Year

Thinking:
Feeling: Slightly irritated
Where: History of Magic
With: Professor, students
Wearing: Uniform
Single

I'd rather waltz that just walk through the forest
The trees keep tempo and sway in time

As Nora slid into class and took an empty seat, an argument seemed to broil up between Ronna and two of the Slytherins. She raised an auburn brow as she retrieved note-taking materials from her bag, setting her wand on top of the desk as well. Instead of spectating the conversation, she jotted down the notes the professor had put on the board, engrossing herself in the scratch of her quill rather than the all-too-familiar sounds of argument. Glancing at her own wand, she lightly traced the grain along the handle fondly, wondering what the connection between wood type and what type of magic was best suited to the user. She knew that her willow wand would be adept at healing and non-verbal magics, but she wondered why that was the case. "If the class ever settles down I might ask..." she thought, gaze sliding across the sea of familiar heads, idly wondering what each students' wand was and what it said about them.

Quartets of crickets chime in for the chorus
If I were to strum on your heartstrings, would you strum on mine?

Second Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games