Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
Jade Legacy [L5R 3eR] - Act 1: Atsumari/Gathering Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... 170 171 172 173 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:22 pm
The courtier wasn't sure if this was just coincidence or if he had been caught watching, but he was being approached by a fairly positive Kojiro.

So much for subtlety.

At any rate, he would bow politely as the Scorpion came up to him. "Indeed. My Mantis brethren has been doing quite well, but I would be lying if I said I was surprised. For as much well deserved grief he receives, he is quite skilled at what he does."

He would look over his in the direction that Doji Kita had run off to, then back to Kojiro. "I wonder what's gotten Kita-sama so upset,"he would say casually. I've never seen her lose composure like that before. It doesn't seem to be a common thing for her either... it must have been something serious."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:43 pm
@The Artisan Competition

Kojiro nodded absentmindedly. "I worry for her. If you remember she declared she had a love during the archery contest. I wonder if something happened to her love? That would nearly break the strongest." Kojiro gave a feeble smile.

"I have a favor to ask of you though. I have heard rumors that Susumu-san keeps a vast treasury of sake with him. We Scorpions have a reason to toast tonight and I wonder if I could ask you to convince Susumu-san to part with a bottle or two?"

OOC:
And kick in Lost Love if you like. ><
Awareness/Courtier (5k3 w/3 dice to handle explosions)
Results: 37

Arghyarg. Headachy rules it seems. It looks like you get to make an Awareness/Etiquette roll to shift topics or something...and you can also say that there is no way in heck (in politer language) that you want Hisashi to come between Susumu and his rice wine.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Plainsfox rolled 8 10-sided dice: 5, 10, 5, 9, 10, 3, 5, 1 Total: 48 (8-80)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:45 pm
Remembering to roll dice ><  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 am
@ Artisan Interruption:

Soshi Maru took the letter, moving to a torch for better light. Upon reading(?) it, she didn't seem particularly moved by the contents. "I did not know your wife was expecting..." was all she would say in response. She turned her head slightly, then back to Kojiro. "Perhaps... now might not be the best time to be celebrating, as much as you might want to. Discretion would be a wiser course of action."

Etiquette of 31 to convince Kojiro that celebration should wait.

"I don't really know him, I confess," she would say as Kojiro brought up the topic of HIsashi, and would follow him, not unlike how a yojimbo would follow a courtier to ensure their safety.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 am
@ Lioness Shenanigans:

Jiro and Omi would be waiting not far away for Kyumi to return. Upon seeing her, and seeing that she looked a bit... perturbed. "Is... everything okay, Kyumi-san? You don't look well."

Hearing her suggestion, he would throw out, "I understand. However, perhaps being surrounded by other familiar faces might do you some good. Perhaps Toyoko-san might be at the Artisan competition, which should be beginning now. Seichiro-san is definitely there, as he is competing. Maybe you'd like to go see them, so you aren't as alone?"

Etiquette of 30 to not offend Kyumi by suggesting something else  
Plainsfox rolled 12 10-sided dice: 10, 1, 9, 2, 7, 1, 6, 10, 4, 6, 6, 4 Total: 66 (12-120)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 am
@Artisan Interruption

"Your point is well taken, Maru-san. I do not intend to drink more than a cup. I'm also not going to force you or Naizen-san to drink anything. A toast, a thanksgiving and prayers to our ancestors, and then sleep. Is that sedate enough for you, Maru-san?" Kojiro would grin back at his companion.

Kojiro would shrug if Maru maintained her stance. "I can do without the toast though. I'm surprised that things haven't been that busy. I guess much is still unsettled."

OOC:
Awareness/ Investigation (To check Maru's mood. 4k3+2 dice to handle explosions.)
Awareness/Etiquette (To make it come off lighthearted 4k3+2 additional to handle explosions)
Results (Investigation): 28
Results: (Etiquette): 28  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:53 pm
@ Artisan Interruption:

"It's not a matter of celebrating. It's more of a matter of planning a celebration in the middle of an ongoing competition when a magistrate just left in tears. Despite the good news for you, I don't think everyone else here shares your enthusiasm, Kojiro-san."

Maru's mood does is not that difficult to decipher, as she seems to sound a bit short with Kojiro, feeling he is making a scene, and is acting rather inappropriate (at least, as far as Scorpion go).  
Plainsfox rolled 6 10-sided dice: 4, 8, 3, 9, 9, 1 Total: 34 (6-60)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:01 pm
@Artisan Interruption

Kojiro would sigh, deflated. "As you wish, Soshi-san. I am sorry for my inappropriate behavior and will conduct myself according to the situation. Please forgive me. Kojiro would bow deeply for about ten seconds. He would then straighten and silently face the stage and wait for further news.

OOC:
Awareness/Etiquette (4k3 +2 Additional for explosion)
Results: 21  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:54 pm
((NOTE: ROLLING VS OTHER PC'S!

Rolling against a fellow PC will, by no means, compel them to do something they would not do otherwise. You are expected to RP out the interactions with your fellow PCs, but the most a social dice roll against you will do is make you consider their wishes more favorably, if you relent or roll to defend against it and fail.

A successfully intimidating PC will make it seem like going up against them is a bad idea. You can still do so, but probably only after some hesitation.

A successfully courtly PC will make their ideas seem like good ones. But the BEST idea is still whatever you decide.

A successfully etiquette-ly PC will seem much less offensive or more cautious than they would be otherwise without the roll.

A successfully deceitful PC will seem more honest and sincere in his/her words than you, as a player, might normally expect. You don't HAVE to believe them, but you should believe that what they might be telling you is a possible truth and you shouldn't discount it either.

Just in case the mechanics make any players uncomfortable, this is how I will enforce things. That is all.
))  
Sutiiven rolled 8 10-sided dice: 6, 1, 5, 8, 8, 5, 1, 1 Total: 35 (8-80)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm
[Deceit (Intimidate) Check: 5k3+2 vs 37][3 additional rolls for explosions]
[Result: 24]

Hisashi was rather taken aback at Kojiro's sudden shift in conversation from the upset nature of Doji Kita to coercing his clansman to giving up his alcohol for some unrelated toast - not that he'd actively try and get Susano to give up his sake anyway.

He wanted to come back and put the Scorpion in his place, but he was so caught off guard he didn't have anything prepared to use to where he had to visibly recompose himself in a very not intimidating manner.

"I - er - ah - well, I'll ask Su if he's interested in coming by, but it's just that I really don't think this is the time to discuss such matters. Can we perhaps discuss this at a later time after the event?"

Ah, the artful skill of panicked improvising - while not a popular skill amongst courtiers, it had its uses. Like trying to not look like a total idiot in front of the members of other clans. xp  

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:09 pm
@Artisan Interruption

Given the fact that Kojiro was badly browbeaten by Maru, he wasn't in much of a position to object. "Yes, of course, You don't need to worry about it. I wouldn't wish to cause undue strain amongst the Yoritomo present. Again, please forgive my boorish behavior. Also, good luck with your performance."  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:30 pm
@ Artisan Competition:

After about 20 minutes, one of the gathered samurai spotted Seppun Benjiro making his way back towards the crowd. A couple of the samurai had departed, figuring this competition (and possibly the competition) to be a lost cause; but for the most part, almost everyone had stayed the course.

"Due to an unforeseen crisis involving Doji Kita directly, she will not be continuing to host this event. The matter is of a personal nature, and I do not want to hear any conjecture on the subject." he explained, a lot more straight-faced than any of you have seen him up until this point. I have received details on how she wishes the contest to be judged, and how she has rated the presentations thus far. I will endeavor to do my best to fill her sandals, and ensure an accurate selection of an appropriate winner."

His left hand rested casually upon the hilt of his sheathed wakizashi, tapping the pommel with his fingers as if in thought of something. "Also, Doji Koan has been occupied by a matter of his own - unrelated to Kita-san's - and will have to drop out of this competition. He sends his apologies to all of you."

A few murmurs would sound from the crowd, and Benjiro's brow would furrow. "We aren't at winter court, and I don't expect all of you, chosen specifically by the leaders of your Clans, to be chirping away like gossiping hens! We are in the middle of a competition, and I expect each of you to compose yourself accordingly!"

Benjiro definitely seemed a lot less pleasant than in prior situations, but considering, he probably had a lot on his plate. Can't read his Sadane face.

"With all the unsavory news out of the way, let us proceed. From my understanding, Shinjo Gemmei and Asako Sumi were up next. Please, by all means, take the center stage so I am not the center of attention." He would gesture for the two young women to step forward into the clearing, to discuss their presentation.

After a somewhat reluctant delay, Gemmei would indeed step forth, with Sumi a step behind, a good foot shorter than the Unicorn woman. "Thank you all for coming - and waiting - tonight. Sumi-san and I have an item that we have produced that... seems somewhat out of place now. However, we still expect that it will meet to your standards, Benjiro-sama." Gemmei would bow her head after her explanation, and Sumi would do so as well, giving Gemmei a 'look' as she did so.

"For our project, we decided to chronicle the contributions Doji Kita-sama has made to benefit Rokugan over the past ten years as a magistrate. Sumi-san, the scroll?" Gemmei turned to Sumi, who was more or less just looking back and forth between Benjiro and her partner, almost as if in a daze. "Sumi-san?"

Snapping out of it, it seemed like, she would shake her head and reach for her large book-laden satchel, revealing a high-quality scroll. "It's... it's right here." Sumi would unravel it, spreading her arms out wide to her sides to reveal the delicately inscribed contents therein.

Gemmei's modified Calligraphy roll: 25. Sumi's modified Calligraphy roll: 22. 2 Raises declared, Excellent Quality earned. Total average: 24 vs TN 20, pass.

"As you can all see," Gemmei continued, gesturing to the far right side. "We've managed to include her service to the Empire from the point of when she passed her gempukku. Coming from a very affluent branch of the Doji family, she was hand picked by Kuni Utagu prior to him becoming the Jade Champion, due to her heightened mental abilities and keen deductive skills. We've recorded her known cases from when she served alone, alongside Asako Shusui shortly before partnering up with Raicho-sama. Shortly thereafter, you joined the two of them and have worked as a group ever since."

Seppun Benjiro would stand before the displayed scroll, reading it thoughtfully, masking the bottom portion of his face with his hand as he studied it. At one point, he let out a "Hmmph," but continued to read it. Finally, he would say, "I don't know about some of these, especially early on, but I know enough of them are accurate enough to know the two of you did your homework. Excellent job, you two."

"Thank you, Benjiro-sama. Truth be told, Sumi-san did most of the digging; I was simply more of a second pair of hands," Gemmei humbly replied, bowing.

Sumi, once more giving Gemmei a look, snapped to and quickly rolled up the scroll, bowing as she handed it off to the magistrate, who took it in one hand, smiling.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"With that, I believe we're already on our final presentation. Yoritomo Hisashi, you have yet to present anything, from my count. I have no inclination as to what you've brought with you this evening, so feel free to cut right to the chase and show us?" The Seppun would smile at the young courtier, giving him a go-ahead nod.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox rolled 3 10-sided dice: 5, 9, 4 Total: 18 (3-30)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm
@ The Artisan Competition

Kojiro's ears perked at the name. Could it be? Kojiro would glance towards his "keeper" as he puzzled the ramifications of the name Asako Shusui. It could be possible that Yogo's curse struck again. Kojiro would at least wait until Hisashi made his performance before starting to investigate this.

OOC:
Intelligence/ Lore/Heraldry (Untrained: Who is Asako Shusui)
Results: 18  
Sutiiven rolled 8 10-sided dice: 4, 6, 1, 4, 6, 1, 2, 1 Total: 25 (8-80)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:15 pm
@ Artisan Competition

Hisashi would walk up in front of his viewers and bow deeply. "The art I have for you is a story - a simple tale like any you might hear thrown around a quiet evening. But I feel that my most artistic gifts come from the word of mouth, and therefore I wish to share it with you."

Taking a deep breath, he would begin: ((Story to Follow Rolling))

Quote:
[Storytelling Check: 5k3+10 vs TN 20]

4 Free Raises for Quality + 2 Raises for Quality
+5 from to roll from Free Raise, +5 to Roll from spending a Void point

(Last 3 dice rolled in case of explosion)

Result: 16+10 = 26

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:21 pm
- Hisashi's Story -

In a far off place not so very different from our own there lived twin brothers – Katsuo, a fearsome warrior and Shinji, a talented diplomat. Together they ruled a vast empire, one so great as to humble our own glorious Rokugan. The two emperors were quite well loved by their people. In times of fierce conflict, Katsuo would strike down all comers with precision and grace – indeed, there were few who wished to face the sword of the man. In times of peace, however, Shinji was the one with greater power – with a single word he could convince opponents to yield to him.

The two ruled honorably for many years until one day a strange traveler came to Katsuo alone in the imperial gardens. “Great warrior”, he said, “Why do you keep that diplomat around? Truly you are strong enough to overcome any threat. He is but a waste of space.” Katsuo would be enraged by such a slander and orderd his guards to strike down the blasphemer, but to his surprise the weapons would break upon contact with the peasants skin. This shocked and impressed Katsuo greatly.

“Great emperor,” said the traveler “you see with your own eyes the very power I command. I offer you the same strength – a power to defy steel of any that touches you! But I must ask in return a sacrifice – your brother must never show his face in this empire again!”

Katsuo's heart was weak and he fell victim to mortal greed. Without hesitation, he agreed to the traveler’s offer. In a flash of fire, Shinji appeared before them in panic, and his face would be covered with a horrific mask and bound in chains. This stranger was no peasant, but in fact a great oni in disguise! With a dark laugh, the oni would shout “Remember your deal, Katsuo - Shinji must never show his face in this empire again!” before disappearing. Shinji would turn to see his betraying brother. Katsuo, feeling guilt for the crime he had committed against his kin, would order Shinji to be locked away forever.

Many centuries would pass, as the oni’s magic would imbue the brothers with the gift of immortality. Shinji’s disappearance would be covered up as an assassination, and people would mourn his loss until he was entirely forgotten. Trapped in his dark cell, Shinji would spend day after day plotting revenge, looking for a way out and seeking to overcome his brother’s treachery. Without a way to speak or escape, he would practice fighting with the various scraps of stone and wood lying about his cell.

Though the brother’s remained as young as the day they parted, the effects of time still took place upon the world. Though powerful, the bonds on the door would eventually rust into ashes. The diplomat would take this as his time to escape.

It was on this night that Katsuo had decided to hold a party in his long lived honor, inviting all the inhabitants of the empire to his palace. The diplomat snuck into the palace and stood amongst the people rejoicing their emperor as he was about to speak.

“I thank you for your years of devotion and honor, and I shall answer the questions of my subjects – please, ask me anything you wish, and I shall bestow upon you the knowledge you seek!”

First, a child would ask: “How did you get so strong?” Katsuo would laugh and say “I gained my strength by sparring with the kami themselves, each teaching me the art of war and giving me almighty power!”

Second, a man would ask: “How have you lived for so long and stayed so healthy?” Katsuo would smile and reply with a wink. “It is a little known fact, fair subject, that I have traveled to the very moon and back, drinking the finest sake of eternity… every day I drink and bathe in this everflowing liquid, for as your emperor I am blessed with such glories!”

And finally, Shinji would speak up: “What ever happened to your brother?” Katsuo would remark with a simple laugh and say “I don’t know what you’re talking about – I’ve never had a brother!”

With the might of a thousand warriors, Shinji would defy his eternal bonds and break the ancient chains holding his mask down, revealing his face to the world. With this act, the spell was broken and their immortality would be gone. Katsuo would fall back in horror and the vengeful Shinji would strike, killing his brother with the very stone and wood he had trained with in his ancient cell.

A hush would befall the kingdom as their leader was struck dead. The diplomat turned killer would face his audience and cry “LEAVE THIS PLACE!” with a roar that would make the mountains tremble and the oceans rise up in anger. The panicked visitors would flee, terrified to disobey the speaker.

Soon after, the empire would collapse into chaos and Shinji would lock himself away in the palace. There is no one answer as to what happened after then. Perhaps the empire was forgotten as a new one took its place. Or maybe it descended into Jigoku as a feast for the treacherous oni. None can say for sure. What is known, however, is that none of this would have happened had Katsuo not betrayed his brother for his own greed.

So let this be a warning to you all – treason and greed are foolish sentiments that will destroy you and everything you seek, for the vengeful spirits of those you have betrayed will not rest until you receive just punishment.

Beware the folly of Katsuo.

[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... 170 171 172 173 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games