Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Geezerville ~ RP's
GGG Most WANTED ~ CLOSED Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 ... 5973 5974 5975 5976 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New RN's. How bout it?
I desire to serve the Mistress and her ladies unconditionally
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
I just want a drink
35%
 35%  [ 16 ]
Say What?
24%
 24%  [ 11 ]
Oh gawd. How am I going to walk in those heels?
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 45

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 am
-another video- ((LAST less-than 5-minute video, I promise!))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFDWP5JwSM  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:50 am
I think they changed the wulong thing not only to sync the voices with the lip movement, but also to account for the difference in perceptions of currency. In Japan, if they were to compare wulongs to Japanese yen, 100 isn't much. In the US, if we were to compare 100 wulongs to 100 dollars, that seems like a lot for a dog and a suitcase, though probably still not as much as the thief was hoping for.

Roughly, 100 yen would be about 1 dollar here... or at least it was around the time I finished high school... I haven't checked on the exchange rate recently. Hence 100 wulong becoming 1 wulong.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:52 am
Yeah, I know about how Japanese currency works, CD Japan only works in yen.

It's a change, translation changes are always bad because they subtract from the accuracy. They could have put up a footnote subtitle explaining the currency difference. stare  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:02 am
Well, the thing is that people who like dubs often do so because they don't like to read subtitles. So even if it was just one thing on the bottom of the screen to explain one difference, it sort of defeats the purpose of having made it a dub to begin with.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:05 am
Watching something dubbed kind of defeats the purpose of watching something foreign, don't you think? Would you rather watch Doctor Who with the original British voices, or with Americans dubbing the show over?

It's quite obvious that the foreign feel would be lost with the original voices and accents lost.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 am
Moon Rabbit Reisen
{{1,]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFDWP5JwSM
{{1, 2, 9? Baka, baka!}}

Some people don't watch things for the "foreign feel", though. They're just interested in the story and understand it better in their own language. For some people, it's also difficult to watch the screen and read the subtitles at the same time. A lot of my family is that way, actually.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 am
ThisEmptySoul
Moon Rabbit Reisen
{{1,]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFDWP5JwSM
{{1, 2, 9? Baka, baka!}}

Some people don't watch things for the "foreign feel", though. They're just interested in the story and understand it better in their own language. For some people, it's also difficult to watch the screen and read the subtitles at the same time. A lot of my family is that way, actually.
Would you really call the US versions of Thomas the Tank and Friends and the Mad Max movies the same things as the British version of Thomas and the Australian versions of the Mad Max movies when the US teams had the voices dubbed over to make it more American though? I am surprised Doctor Who didn't get American-dubbed. I hear "You Americans are closed-minded simpletons who can't properly appreciate foreign cultures so we'll dumb it down with your silly accents and your silly words.".

That's right, Thomas and Mad Max. They're in English, but they still get dubbed.

You really can't fully appreciate something that's been heavily Americanized.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 am
I like movies, programs, shows etc left in the original. I prefer subtitles on foreign speaking films. I feel it loses some of its flavor when dubbed over.

Pink Fregia

15,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

XxX-Dark-Gothic-Girl-XxX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:27 am
--Walks into the bar and see no one around--

*guess I will make some coffee! Nothing like caffeine in the mid morning smile *  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 am

*Stumbles in with a large napsack and fumbles for coffee. After drink a super-sized cup, refills and stumbles back out the door adding some juice and snacks for later. Decides to start the day trying to get close to the warehouse district, then the Docks. *

((Wow they weren't kidding with this winter storm! Snowball fight!!))

iggies

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 am
*wonders in and sees who's here*  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 am
--After a long walk Angel decided to go back and bake some Peanut butter cookies. The smell fills the bar as she leaves a plate behind with a small note saying "Enjoy and have a great day. signed Angel". Seeing how its still quiet in the bar, she walks over to the fridge and grabs a soda and goes for a walk--  

XxX-Dark-Gothic-Girl-XxX

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm
*seeing no one, Nei decides to leave*  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:40 pm
*FINALLY! After day 2 of going through her closet and cleaning out a dresser…success! She decided to go through some of her more formal attire and ditch some of the ensembles that are more than 2 years old. Chances are, if she needed to go to a formal occasion such as a black tie event, she'd just go out and buy something new anyway. There is NO WAY she would be caught dead at such an event in "last years" collection!

She goes up to the bar to take a break and check up on things. She makes herself a Cosmopolitan, has a seat at the bar, crosses her legs and starts to read the newspaper.*  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:40 pm
*Her iphone rings and she answers.* Yes. … yes this is Psyzapp. … *she listens and becomes highly irritated.* ABSOLUTELY NOT! … I want Italian Leather not some cheap knock off crap! … *listens more*… NO, I want black leather. … *She stands up and starts to pace.* The name of this place is called THE JADE DRAGON. Did you hear that…JADE. I have a very specific pallet in mind for the decor and it better be SPOT ON! I will not tolerate inferior quality…AM I MAKING MYSELF CLEAR?! … I am having a dragon sculpted in Hong Kong with Jade scales. Have them send you a sample of the jade so you get an EXACT match. …Yes. … Thank you. *She hangs up, sits back down, sips her Cosmopolitan and continues to read the paper.*  
Geezerville ~ RP's

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 ... 5973 5974 5975 5976 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games