Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Second Year Classes
History of Magic II (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 am
User Image
Julius is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // wearing his school robes
CURRENTLY // single
CURRENTLY WITH // No-one at the moment
CURRENTLY FEELING // ready for class.
CURRENTLY THINKING // As typical we all blend together.
spacespac

═════════════════════════════════════════════════

space"Yes Julius, sir," Julius said, opening his book and taking out his notes from last year. "Dorian is in Hufflepuff and Tyson is in Slytherin." With a polite nod he began what was assigned of them, not particularly minding that the class was ending like a study-hall. He'd have to review and do the readings eventually, why not now? And, the fact that the professor had sounded a bit unsure of which of his brothers he was didn't particularly bother him-he was used to it. Professors were just lucky they all were in different houses so they had different color robes and ties for their uniform. If even two of them had end up in the same house he had a feeling they would have to start wearing name-tags for some people's benefit. They were after all identical triplets and all sported blue hair thanks to Dori's accidental use of magic. Got one of the worst nanny's in history to quit, thought. And, here at Hogwarts, the blue hair was glanced over and dismissed without a second thought. It was nice.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:30 pm
We've had one chance
But over and over again
I'll clean your wounds tonight
So we can rewind it all 'til I come inside
I'll tear in two and never lie to you
'Cause you wouldn't take me home
Your eyes are yet to be clear now
You were right and I wasn't listening

User Image
Eleazar Draven Bradley
- Unknown Blood - Ravenclaw - Second Year -
[feeling: embarrassed] [thinking: ...] [with: Second Years] [at: History of Magic]

Eleazar was good at History of Magic, but not as into it as Uriel. He didn't have as much passion for... dates and facts and all that. He didn't mind it, but it wasn't anything of much interest to him. He ended up coming in late, because he got lost... it was embarrassing to admit that as a second year, he'd still managed to get turned around and confused, so he tried his best to just silently slip in and blend in with the blur of black uniforms as he slunk to the back of the room. The professor was saying something about brushing up on notes, so he pilled his out, and started silently going over them.

No one ever told me what I was missing.

I never wanted to hear that
We're the only ones we're running from
How can I make everything just okay?
The sun was two steps too close
We'll make believe that everything's all right
You were always right and I just wouldn't listen
We should stop 'cause there's nothing going on
I never wanted to hear all the things that you told me

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxif you have to ask, you'll never know. if you know, you need only ask.

Second Year | | Twelve | | Ravenclaw | | Single | | Half-Blood | | Reserve Seeker

Lexine fingered the pages of her book. She had hoped that they wouldn't be going over all the information from last year, as well as over some of the stuff for the beginning of this year...after all, she had read quite a bit about the new information and she remembered just about everything from last year. She silently opened her book and started where she had left off.

clothing x ooc :: - - -

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:46 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, eyes already taking in the room. He walked up to the chalkboard and, picking up a piece of chalk, quickly wrote something on the board.

Professor Powell
                                            Ollivander Family

Placing the chalk down, he looked over the class. "Welcome back, class. Last time, we went over what you had previously learned in class last year. Today we're going to be going over the history of the Ollivander family.

"The Ollivander family arrived in England around the time the Romans did about 382 BC, when the first Ollivander arrived. Upon seeing the quality of wands the ancient Britons used, he decided to set up shop and provide a better quality to the people here.

His descendants practiced the art of wandmaking, each successive generation building upon the knowledge of the previous. Each brought a distinctive viewpoint viewpoint to the craft, and even specialized to suit their needs, as well as the needs of the wizarding community. The last Ollivander to own the wandshop, Garrick, even went as far as to ensure that only the finest products would go into each wand, and also had a knack for remembering every wand ever sold in his shop."

He looked about the classroom. "Now, I want everyone to take out your wands and take a god long look at them. I'm sure that you all remember what your wands are made of. I want you to write a short paragraph about your wands, and why you might think it chose you."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Last class wasn't bad.
                                            OOC: ...

Now where did I put that wand?

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 pm
User Image
CURRENTLY // single
CURRENTLY WITH // History of Magic II class
CURRENTLY FEELING // unsure of my answer
CURRENTLY THINKING // Uh, why would a wand pick one person over someone else?
spacespac
                                                          space Julius listened quietly taking notes as Professor Powell spoke about wands and the Ollivander family. Julius usually felt he didn't have much to contribute to the class, because after all he was "muggle-born". He hadn't grown up in the magical world or among witches or wizards-well besides his brothers, but they had been as clueless as he was about the wizarding world, until the Hogwarts governor had shown up and explained about them being wizards.

He glanced up surprised when Professor Powell said to take out their wands-after all, this was a class that they never took out their wands in or really needed them. Of course, it made more sense when the professor asked them to write a short paragraph about their wands and why they thought it chose them. Glancing down at his wand, Julius frowned as he remembered back to getting his wand and what he could recall about the event and what he knew... his wand was Elm with a Raven Feather Core, right? His brothers and him had all end up with very different looking wands with no commonalities-even the wand lengths were different for each of them. His was the shortest. In the end what did his wand say about him, and why would his wand chose him verses someone else? With a small frown he wrote down his answer:

My wand is 9 inches long made of Elm and with a Raven Feather Core. I suppose, that the raven feather might reflect a more quiet personality which I have, especially compared to my brothers. And, I remember it being said that elm wood was said to be for someone who holds himself with dignity and that it was good for transfiguration and complex spellwork... I have found that at least transfiguration is one of the easier subjects for me and perhaps quietness is seen as being 'dignified'? Either way, I'm determined to get good grades and be seen positively.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: History: Thursday 1:00pm to 1:45pm

Alice sat in her usual seat next to Jasper who seemed to be interested in the topic of conversation. It didn't surprise her since one day she found him in the library looking over that topic. Well they got to write about the wands they had. That was something else. Although Alice didn't have a clue what to go about writing accept one thing.

"Alice, don't write that..." Jasper whispered to her. Alice looked at her page and noticed she wrote what Silver Lime wood was known for, Seers. "But Jazz it's the truth." Alice argued before crossing her arms. Why hide it anyways? "I suppose but I don't want people treating you differently because of it." he told her. Alice understood that he was after all only looking out for her.

Scratching it out Alice looked over at Jasper's paper. "What did you write?" she asked. "Just that my wand picked me for my loyalty." he told her. That definitely made sense to her but she still needed to think of something to write that was better than just being a Seer.

Alice
My wand is an 11 inch, Silver Lime wood, with a Fairy Wings core. It's strong with charms which I'm surprisingly good at which I guess is one of the reasons. It's good for another major reason. From what I was told my wand works well for Seers... No surprise why it would pick me there seeing as I am one. One I can't exactly share... Although my wand core is known for Hufflepuff use and since I'm in Hufflepuff that makes sense.

Jasper
The wand that was given to me was an 11 inch, Cedar wood, with a Unicorn Hair core. It's a wand made for loyalty which I happen to value as one of my top character traits. They say that you don't want to cross someone who has a Cedar wand because of how furiously loyal they really are to their friends. I've been known to be like that. Unicorn Hair core is known for being balanced and since I'm the type that doesn't like change I can only guess that's another reason for it choosing me.

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

With: Each other and classmates
OOC: ---  

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxif you have to ask, you'll never know. if you know, you need only ask.

Second Year | | Twelve | | Ravenclaw | | Single | | Half-Blood | | Reserve Seeker

Lexine listened and quietly took notes as she Professor Powell gave his lecture about the Ollivander family. Lexine was a bit surprised when he asked them to take out their wands. She slipped her wand from her boot and looked at the light wood. She sighed and started thinking. Then, setting her wand where she could still see it, Lexine picked up her quill and started working.

My wand is made of ash wood with a fox fur core, 10 inches long, and is very rigid. I believe the reason that my wand wood is ash, as well as my flexibility is rigid is because, like my wand, I'm not easily swayed from my opinions, just as my wand is not easily swayed from its true master. It's also said that those with ash wands are very good with charms, protective spells, and transfiguration. I guess that I am pretty good with protective spells and somewhat with charms, but I'm really not all that good with transfiguration... Maybe it's just because my wand takes a while to get used to it's owner... I'm not exactly sure what the fox fur core's properties are, but I'm assuming it's like what the fox itself stands for. Foxes themselves are known for their cunning, strategy, cleverness, and wisdom. I suppose I can say that it does fit me in some areas, but I'm not quite sure... I've heard that the length of a wand depends on the height and power of the caster My wand is 10 inches, so I guess that means I'm as average height for my age, although I'm actually a bit shorter than most people in my year... The power part, I suppose, means that either my wand is very powerful, or that I'm a powerful witch... I'm not quite sure though...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:11 pm
We've had one chance
But over and over again

User Image
Eleazar Draven Bradley
[feeling: calm] [thinking: ...] [with: Second Years] [at: History of Magic]

Eleazar did think wandmaking was an interesting career, though it wasn't something he could see himself personally going into. But it had to take skill and considerable knowledge and craftsmanship. Shocked by the notion of taking one's wand out in History of Magic, because if that was happening the end must be nigh, he pulled his wand out of his pocket and examined it. Hazel wood, demiguise hair core, brittle; like if you pushed it too much it might just break. He wasn't very surprised they had to write about it, and he reluctantly pulled out his quill.

My wand is a hazel wood, demiguise hair core, twelve and 1/2 inches, brittle. Hazel is supposed to be a quiet wood and neutral, but I've heard that it's also very sensitive to the one wielding its emotions and feelings. I can be very sensitive to minor things, or so I'm told, so I suppose that's something to keep in mind, given my wand. Demiguise hair is supposedly useful for deceit and trickery when it comes to dueling enemies, though I doubt I'll ever really be in need of that- and also the wandmaker told me they're good with Transfiguration. That's handy, I guess. My wand is also very fragile looking and brittle- I don't know if that's supposed to indicate anything or not. The wand probably chose me because it thought I'd make a good match, since I am quiet, usually very neutral, somewhat sensitive, and good at Transfiguration.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:41 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson strode into the classroom, ready to teach. So far, this class had seemed uneventful, however, he had some things in mind for today's class. He wondered about the students' resonses as he wrote the topic for the day on the chalkboard.

Professor Powell
                                            The Deathly Hallows

"Today we're going to talk about the Deathly Hallows. For those from Wizarding failies, you may have heard of them before, usually as a bedtime story. However, it would do to inform your classmates of the topic, since they may not know.

"The Deathly Hallows are three highly powerful magical objects supposedly created by Death and given to each of three brothers in the Peverell family. They consisted of the Elder Wand, an immensely powerful wand that was considered undefeatable; the Resurrection Stone, a stone which could summon the spirits of the dead, and the Cloak of Invisibility, which, as its name suggests, renders the user completely invisible. According to the story, both Antioch Peverell (owner of the Wand) and Cadmus Peverell (owner of the Stone) came to bad ends. However, Ignotus Peverell's wisdom in requesting the Cloak was rewarded.

"According to legend, he who possesses these three artefacts would become the Master of Death. The story of the Deathly Hallows was originally told by Beedle the Bard and subsequently passed from family to family as a wizard fairytale. Few wizards ever realized that the Deathly Hallows were genuine items. Most people thought that there were things that Beedle had made up to entertain young wizards and witches.

"No one but Harry Potter has been known to have been in command of all three at the same time, though he was never in possession of them all at once. Albus Dumbledore had possessed all three, but not all at once, similar to Harry, but he was never the true owner of the Cloak. The Cloak was handed down to Harry Potter from his father through Albus Dumbledore, and the Stone was left to him in Dumbledore's will, hidden inside a Golden Snitch. Harry Potter gained the allegiance, but not physical possession, of the Elder Wand upon overpowering Draco Malfoy at Malfoy Manor. Although Draco had mastery of the Elder wand for a time, having gained its allegiance upon disarming Dumbledore before his death, he never knew of it. Potter never made use of more than two Hallows at once because he never had more than two at once.

"Now, here's the question for each of you. I know it's tempting for anyone, but out of the three, which one Hallow would you posess, and why?"

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Well, third class of the year...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:25 am
User Image
CURRENTLY // single
CURRENTLY WITH // History of Magic II class
CURRENTLY FEELING // ...
CURRENTLY THINKING // ...
spacespac
                                                          space Julius entered the class and as Professor Powell began he quickly started scribbling notes down. He had gotten the gist about the Deathly Hallows but it wasn't like he had grown up with the story so he was sure to take as detailed notes as he could from the lecture-he didn't want to fall behind. That was the problem with History of Magic, he didn't know the basics like any of his peers who had grown up knowing anything about the wizarding world.

When Professor Powell asked the question about what item would the individual most like to posses out of the three Julius paused and knew his answer in seconds: the cloak. Firstly, the cloak didn't seem to have bad luck connected with it nearly as much as the other two items of the Deathly Hallows and being invisible seemed far more useful than having a really powerful wand or being able to summon spirits. With invisibility you could avoid confrontations if need be and think about the places you could get into with that ability. It seemed perfect to him. He didn't answer though, not sure if the question was more of something they just should think on.

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:59 am
x
x
x
x

User Image

x

Sitting silently in the back of the room, Lexine listened to Professor Powell's spiel on the Deathly Hallows. Lexine knew what she needed to know about them, so she simply relaxed. When he was done talking, he asked them what Hallow they would take. Lexine looked down at the book sitting on her desk and knew at once, as she had thought about this many a time. The Cloak of Invisibility... Lexine thought to herself. It didn't have any bad luck connected to it, and it made you invisible. Plus, she wasn't power hungry, she wanted a simple life, and under that cloak who couldn't? They decided who would know of them, and who would not. When they would fall to their deaths as well, as Death could never see them under that cloak. Lexine kept this to herself, then looked up to Professor Powell again. She wasn't exactly sure if they should share it with the class, and no one else seemed to be talking, so she continued with her silence along with everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:51 am
We've had one chance
But over and over again

User Image
Eleazar Draven Bradley
[feeling: calm] [thinking: ...] [with: Second Years] [at: History of Magic]

Eleazar had not grown up with bedtime stories. His mum... well, his mum before his mum now, she'd never been one for stories before bed, or kisses before bed, or anything, really, besides telling him and then later, him and Thea, to go to bed on the mattress they shared and turning off the light and locking the door, leaving them in the dark. He'd always hated that, just being left there with an antsy toddler. When he went to live with the Walshes, with his new mum and da, he had a nightlight and he didn't share a room with Thea anymore.

Anyways, he'd always liked scary stories but he'd never heard this one. It sounded like something out a fairy tale, and maybe that's what it was, with all this Master of Death stuff, but the artifacts were real and presumably worked. How very strange, that this was what seemed most bizarre to him.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:29 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: History: Thursday 1:00pm to 1:45pm

Alice and Jasper came into history with surprising interest on both sides. Usually it was only Jasper who was interested but Alice seemed to walk to go to class today. That was unusual especially for a class like history. Taking a seat in class the two listened intently to the lesson. Of course Alice’s unusual interest began to fade as the class went on, until they were asked a question.

At that moment Alice’s hand shot up. “I guess if I had to pick I’d say the invisibility cloak. Not that I’d really want to have any of them, because well I think everything’s great without them. Though, it would certainly be the most fun; hiding and sneaking around undetected.” Alice answered. She really didn’t need nor really want any of the deathly hallows. She was just fine with things the way they were.

Looking to Jasper Alice wondered what his pick would be. Meeting the small girl’s gaze Jasper took it as a sign to speak up. “I’d pick to Elder Wand so I can protect those I care about.” He said looking back to the professor. It was a simple answer for what Jasper thought was a simple situation. The only thing that mattered to him was protecting Alice, so it was only right for him to make a decision based on that.

With: Each other and classmates
OOC: ---  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:23 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson strode into the classroom, and started placing a copy of a book on each table. Afterward, he walked over to the board and wrote the topic of the day down, then turned around and regarded the class as they walked in. This should be an interesting lesson, he thought.

Professor Powell
                                            Beedle the Bard

"Today we're going to talk about Beedle the Bard, the author of The Deathly Hallows that we talked about last class. For those from Wizarding families, you may have heard his stories before, usually as children's tales. However, it would do to inform your classmates of the topic, since they may not know.

"Beedle the Bard was an author of wizarding fairytales in the fifteenth century. Beedle was born in Yorkshire, England. At some point in his life, he wrote The Tales of Beedle the Bard. The only known image of Beedle is a woodcut that shows him with a "luxuriant" beard. Taking his stories as an indicator of his opinions, he seems to have held Muggles in higher esteem than most of his contemporaries.

"If his stories accurately reflect his opinions, he rather liked Muggles, whom he regarded as ignorant rather than malevolent; he mistrusted Dark Magic, and he believed that the worst excesses of wizardkind sprang from the all-too-human traits of cruelty, apathy or arrogant misapplication of their own talents. The heroes and heroines who triumph in his stories are not those with the most powerful magic, but rather those who demonstrate the most kindness, common sense and ingenuity.

"There has been at least one attempt to make the original stories 'child friendly'. The Toadstool Tales were a series of adaptations of other works, written by Beatrix Bloxam. They contained soppy, "sanitized" versions of other works, including the The Tales of Beedle the Bard , which was Mrs. Bloxam's way of purifying them so as to preserve childrens' innocence. Beatrix Bloxam set out to write The Toadstool Tales because of the "unwholesome characters" and themes found in The Tales of Beedle the Bard that she believed were damaging to children. The Toadstool Tales were universally loathed by children, and were eventually banned, presumably by the Ministry of Magic because they had a tendency to induce uncontrollable retching in the children who read them, as well as an immediate demand to 'have the book taken from them and mashed into pulp'.

"The Tales of Beedle the Bard consist of at least the following tales: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot, The Fountain of Fair Fortune, The Warlock's Hairy Heart, Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump, and The Tale of the Three Brothers, which is also known as the Deathly Hallows.

"Now, to leave this class off on a bit of a light note, I have left on each desk a copy of the original tales. I would like for you to read through them and discuss why each tale is important, and what important morals you can find in them. I hate to stress this, but there should be no arguments, and any that start will be stopped immediately."

════════════════════════
                                            Thinking: This should be a good end to the year's classes.

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:27 am
x
x
x
x

User Image

x

Lexine listened to the lessons about Beedle the Bard and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Lexine took notes but continued to look over to the book that sit next to her; a copy of the book in question. When he was done with the lesson he said that they would discuss the importance of each tale and the morals they taught. Lexine waited silently for someone else to speak first after she finished reading all the stories, as she was scared to speak before someone else...

Second Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games