Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

lumi aubrylle

Tenacious Waffles

23,390 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 am
I rode my bike 5-6 miles to school a few times just so I didn't have to ride the bus & without worries about being abducted or being hit by a car as a 6th grader, also during summer rode 3 miles to the lake everyday & was there all day. As long as I was home by dinner or at the latest dark. Walked a mile to my best friends house.(man I used to walk/bike alot more then than I do now, could explain the shape I'm in.) Those were the days...

good lord I would never allow my children to do that today. I gotta keep an eye on them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:10 pm
Grumpy Old Woman
I always wanted an Easy Bake Over. Santa never brought me one.
I'm still waiting for that darn pony, too!
mrgreen

Me too!

I still don't wear a helmet when biking, it gives me bad hair days. How about roller skating in the drive way? I always wanted the last dress from Xanadu  

iggies

Dancing Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 pm
lumi aubrylle
I rode my bike 5-6 miles to school a few times just so I didn't have to ride the bus & without worries about being abducted or being hit by a car as a 6th grader, also during summer rode 3 miles to the lake everyday & was there all day. As long as I was home by dinner or at the latest dark. Walked a mile to my best friends house.(man I used to walk/bike alot more then than I do now, could explain the shape I'm in.) Those were the days...

good lord I would never allow my children to do that today. I gotta keep an eye on them.

sad, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:58 pm
I was horrified when I took my elementary age cousins to a playground. There's no fun things anymore - I guess climbing and all the fun stuff was dangerous, so now all there are are barred off plastic slides.

I want old fashioned playgrounds!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Galangal

5,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 am
I am glad that there are still play parks out there but sadden that children do not have the thrill of that climb up a latter twice DADDY's HEIGHT and slide down all that way into the dirty ground below. That 12 foot slide still gets to my heart (I'm too scared now to climb it.) with the memory of the fall and the thump as I created a dirt cloud at the bottom.

Where are the jungle gyms of yesterday? Are tether ball still around anywhere or are they TOO DANGEROUS for children now?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:54 pm
Galangal
I am glad that there are still play parks out there but sadden that children do not have the thrill of that climb up a latter twice DADDY's HEIGHT and slide down all that way into the dirty ground below. That 12 foot slide still gets to my heart (I'm too scared now to climb it.) with the memory of the fall and the thump as I created a dirt cloud at the bottom.

Where are the jungle gyms of yesterday? Are tether ball still around anywhere or are they TOO DANGEROUS for children now?

I loved tether ball!  

Dancing Wheels

mistys meadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:07 pm
tether ball was fun; we had one for our kids for a time. Remember sidewalk games hopskotch, mother may I... Or making up your own tag games; it seemed like we had endless fun. Our mom new to have us get out of the house.. We had a great time with our imaginations..Remember cloud watching.. When was the last time you saw a kid lying on their backs looking at the clouds seeing shapes in the sky..  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 pm
1964. We used to ride bikes all over the neighborhood, go to swimming holes without adults, go exploring in the woods, carry our pocket knives on our belts or at school, and I never saw anyone get into serious fights or get into serious trouble...I gave my kids BB guns when they were 10 just like I got, gave them pocket knives when they were 8, take them for walks to explore in the woods, and we lay in the grass looking at clouds. The sad thing is, it isn't safe now for them to do these things by themselves and feel like they are gypsies or cowboys...  

LucreziaBorgia

Dancing Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:43 pm
Cloud watching was so much fun! Even now, I look to the sky to see if I can spot cloud animals 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:28 pm
1984. Kids today are definitely different than even when I was growing up. I teach Kindergarten and ever Christmas/Winter Holiday time I have my kids write sentences such as "I want a ______ from Santa (or whomever they receive gifts from around the December Holidays)." I remember when I was a kid, just getting a jump rope or bubbles or a doll or a stuffed animal was exquisite! Now all I get (from 5 year olds!) is Game Boy DS, Nintendo Wii, X Box 360, Hannah Montana this and that. It's really sad where the values of children have gone. Playing outside, climbing this HUGE pine tree in my yard ad riding my bike around my neighborhood were my life when I was little.

It makes me sad for my good ol' days.  

SilntAngl5

janyany

3,700 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:13 am
i was born 1960 grew up in the 60's 70's
Yes the doors were closed to all..you were never allowed in to play,,supper was the same time everyday so you knew when to be home,,dad never missed work,,if you broke down you relied on the nearest cop /house or gas station..why because Wtf was a cell phone..when you went shopping there was not hundreds of styles to choose from,,there were Levi's and T-shirts and blouses,,and to dress up there were platinum shoes and for church you always wore dresses..and Easter you got a special outfit w/ a purse, gloves and a hat..and the boys had thier liesure suits..LOL..and you were also allowed to discipline your children (i'm not talking abuse) im talking about plain ole discipline,,there wasn't so much disrespect back then either because of it  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 pm
I agree... respect is a thing that is lost on many today, as if effective/appropriate discipline.  

SilntAngl5

freqgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:18 pm
I survived the 70's and the Regan era. Now with those being the "good old days" what is going to happen in the future? I am afraid...very afraid.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:45 am
mistys meadow
tether ball was fun; we had one for our kids for a time. Remember sidewalk games hopskotch, mother may I... Or making up your own tag games; it seemed like we had endless fun. Our mom new to have us get out of the house.. We had a great time with our imaginations..Remember cloud watching.. When was the last time you saw a kid lying on their backs looking at the clouds seeing shapes in the sky..

I remember doing all of that! My brother and I used to take chalk and draw on our driveway. We'd draw like a small city with roads to stores, gas station, school, homes, etc. and we'd ride our bikes around to those places in our little city! We had so much fun doing that! 3nodding  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Dancing Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:35 pm
I wouldn't want to be a kid growing up today sad  
Introduction Threads

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers