Talk and rant about manga! 

Tags: manga, anime 

Reply Manga Maniacs Forum
Manga - Story, Art, or Both? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you choose which manga your into?
  Story only
  Art only
  Story and Art
  I'll give any manga a shot
View Results

Mini Cake Monster

Obsessive Hoarder

8,600 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:17 pm
I say both though I do lean more towards art.
I just can't seem to read ugly manga.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:32 pm
Yes, I think everyone here can agree that both story and art are IMPORTANT. But in my opinion it's more of a matter of which one is more important. For me, even if the art is the most spectacular ive ever seen, but the story is plotless and pointless or otherwise pathetic, i wont give it another glance. But if the story is great, but the art, not so much, i'll still read because i have a deep love for a good story. Also, we should also condsider the point that some art is not 'bad' but rather reflects and fits the story.  

DreamHalo

orange soda drink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:27 pm
a unique story is important, but unfortunately the first thing i look at is the art and if the characters are good looking  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:34 pm
NNYAnime
My boyfriend recently expressed an interest in getting into reading so of course I'm going through my vast and growing collection of manga to find some stories he may be interested in.

I found a few stories he'd be interested in BUT we have discovered that he has a pet peeve concerning a certain style of art.

As we all know there are certain manga while drawn beautifully, have men who are drawn effeminately, girlishly, or more commonly know as bishonen.

My boyfriend finds this irritating because sometimes it is difficult for him to tell just by the look which is female and which is male.

There are different ways to tell with different artist and it is simpler once you get into the story, but this bothers him so much he has a hard time even getting into the story.

For example, he loved GTO but he doesn't seem like he could even try Les Bijoux.
I personally will give any manga, from any genre a try if the story at least interests me.

So, I'm curious as to how the people of this guild choose there manga.

-Which is more important, Story, Art, or Both?
-Do you ever not read a certain genre do to a pet peeve or irritation?

Well let me tell you manga is about a feeling of art. Like romantic ones are heartful manga. Adventure mangas are about living life the way you want and exploring. So what your talking about is REAL life. So I dont want to hear about your boyfriend  

Amaka18

5,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Amaka18

5,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:35 pm
Mini Cake Monster
I say both though I do lean more towards art.
I just can't seem to read ugly manga.

And you got a little bit out of topic in the middle of it. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:50 pm
i think its more than that  

cPutIE

Miss Sawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 am
The thing I look at in first place is the art. Because what's the point in a good story if I can't stand looking at the pictures sweatdrop
But I personally think that most of the Mangas with good art also have a nice story. At least that's what I think when I look at those standing in my bookshelf 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:36 am
to me its the story tat gets the priority....a good artwork is only worth while if the story line is good....no fun in jst the art u know  

Fazilest

Killer War Face

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:37 am
I say for me its the story. I love Brad Neely's Baby cakes and that s**t is the hilarious.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:26 am
When I first started reading manga, I read anything, but now I kind of hunt manga with good story and art even thou I will read a manga that has a good story in favor of a manga with good art and awful plot. 3nodding  

mariska13

Liberal Vampire

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Manga Maniacs Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers