Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply RP Retreat
"Pern" / Dragon Riders of Pern RP? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragonriders must fly when Thread is in the sky... (a Pern RP?)
  Clear skies and fair weather (yes)
  Wherry Teeth! (no)
  I'm here for the Gather (poll whore answer)
View Results

Maze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:49 am
What is a Pass, anyway? I'm thinking the football/rugby/geography references my mind is offering aren't what we're talking about here. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:40 pm
A Pass is the term applied to the period of time in which the planet in Pern's system passes closest, dragging the organism Thread from the Oort Cloud its concentric orbit passes through. The Pass, specifically, is the period during which Thread rains from space upon Pern. Thread itself is an organism which feeds on any organic material that is not rock. It drowns in water within 3 seconds, and can be frozen into dust or burnt into ash. An entire cow, struck by one string of Thread, is devoured within 10 seconds? I think...  

Ifailedmywillsave

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:28 pm
Heh, Pern terminology ^^ and I think its about 10 seconds too... and Thread can burrow pretty deep too

Ifa then *shakes hand* Most tend to call me Flaco.

None of the books are set in the seventh pass... most are set in the 9th / 10th (F'lar and Lessa) Moreta is in the 3rd and the new books with Todd as the writer are the 2nd/ 3rd I think. It was the game that was set in the 7th pass... at the end of it. Allthough I could have messed the passes up to... its tricky some times ><

I was just aiming for a pass with few established charcters as I would like to see some orignals turn up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:49 pm
((This is Ifa's mule #1! xd ))

Which is Dragonseye set in? I forget. Dragonsdawn and First Fall I think are set in ... First Fall? Yes. First. I think that makes Dragonseye Second or Third Pass... Seventh would be set between Moreta and Dragonflight era. Eleventh would be after The Skies of Pern, in which they noted that there would be one more Pass due to the trail still pulled by the Star after it was blown off course.

Did that make any sense? xd ;;  

Finculmir

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:35 pm
Makes Perfect sense

*digs of Dragonlovers guide to Pern* yes I'm a nerd...

Ok... states that Mortera was 6th pass
Lessa, F'lar and all them was 9th pass
Making the oldtimers the 8th pass

Yup so the 7th pass is in the middle there *laughs* its the pass used for the game, the main charter a bronze rider called D'kor

Dragonseye... >< ugh American title *goes to look up the English title* AH Red Star Rising *skims prologue* set 250 turns after the first pass (so the second pass I guess)

heh as for no more thread... that remains to be seen, maybe AIVAS’s plan didn't work...?

*applauds* You got really really close I'm impressed ... I cheated... I had to look it up *shame* Still not sure what pass 'Dragon’s Kin' and 'Dragonsblood' are set in ><

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 pm
id be interested. im not familiar with pern, but i love dragons and it looks like a pretty interesting series.  

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:14 pm
Yay Wood ^^ we can make a Pern fan out of you yet... ^^

most of it can be picked up as you go along...

ok... Pern fans will hate me for this... but the dragonrider idea is simliar to what you see in Eragon. Similar, yet a the same time so very different

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:16 am
Less suckily worked out, you mean?

I do have another question. If Thread can be burnt, is that what the dragon riders are for? To burn the Thread before it falls to the ground?

Won't they need a s**t load of dragon riders each Pass, then? Unless it comes in scores, or something..  

Maze

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:27 am
Maze
Less suckily worked out, you mean?

I do have another question. If Thread can be burnt, is that what the dragon riders are for? To burn the Thread before it falls to the ground?

Won't they need a s**t load of dragon riders each Pass, then? Unless it comes in scores, or something..

surprised Very good!

Dragons were biogenetically engineered from a small species native to Pern - firelizards. Firelizards were domesticated (via imprinting) by the first colonists and when the first Pass occurred, which the colonists had no idea was coming, the only reason they survived was because their buildings were heavy plastics that the Thread couldn't get through and the people caught out in the field were partially protected by the firelizards they were keeping as pretty, intelligent pets.

The geneticists, seeing that the firelizards could chew a certain material and then spew flame and had an instinct about when Thread would fall, created the first dragons by manipulating the DNA. Dragons were originally no more than horse-sized at full grown, but their genetics were such that over time they grew to the size of several-story buildings, depending on their color and purpose in the fighting of Thread.

The dragons would drill in fighting units called Wings in order to work out the best tactics for destroying Thread with their fiery breath - maintained by eating a type of phosphorous rock - before it reached the ground and the vulnerable crops and people below.

Edit:
Each of the seven weyrs - "cities" of only dragons and their riders and those families who help the weyr maintain itself while the dragons train and fight (cooks, drudges, healers, harpers, etc.) - contains at least 10 full wings when up to full strength. Each Wing contains 33 riders, which include a Wingleader and two Wingseconds to command the wing and take orders from the Weyrleader.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:32 am
Ifailedmywillsave
surprised Very good!

Dragons were biogenetically engineered from a small species native to Pern - firelizards. Firelizards were domesticated (via imprinting) by the first colonists and when the first Pass occurred, which the colonists had no idea was coming, the only reason they survived was because their buildings were heavy plastics that the Thread couldn't get through and the people caught out in the field were partially protected by the firelizards they were keeping as pretty, intelligent pets.

The geneticists, seeing that the firelizards could chew a certain material and then spew flame and had an instinct about when Thread would fall, created the first dragons by manipulating the DNA. Dragons were originally no more than horse-sized at full grown, but their genetics were such that over time they grew to the size of several-story buildings, depending on their color and purpose in the fighting of Thread.

The dragons would drill in fighting units called Wings in order to work out the best tactics for destroying Thread with their fiery breath - maintained by eating a type of phosphorous rock - before it reached the ground and the vulnerable crops and people below.

I have a brain and I'm not afraid to use it. cool

Sounds interesting. o:  

Maze

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:40 am
I added another paragraph or so onto the end of it discussing the fighting formations and such... ninja heart

And in case you want to look stuff up and we're not online to answer questions...

The Pern Wiki  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:48 am
Ifailedmywillsave
I added another paragraph or so onto the end of it discussing the fighting formations and such... ninja heart

And in case you want to look stuff up and we're not online to answer questions...

The Pern Wiki

Thanks, Ifa! 4laugh heart !  

Maze

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:22 pm
*hugs Ifa*

You is so good at answering all the questions when I is sleeping through the Aussie nighttime

I through it was one wingleader, one wingsecond and a wingthrid through...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:28 pm
So what would this roleplay be about, anyway? I mean, are the people joining going to fight Thread, are they growing up with the hatchlings, or what?  

Maze

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:34 pm
@Maze - The ones I've been in have both, but if that was the case, we'd end up having 2 rps, I suspect - one about the hatchlings and fresh riders learning about their duties and one of adult riders doing their thing and fighting Thread.

Flaco - surprised Australia? No WONDER we're always on at different times! xd heart
According to the wiki, it's two wingseconds. I think it makes more sense to have a third, but thinking back, I don't remember precisely if I've ever heard of a third.  
RP Retreat

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff