Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind of Gaian are you?
  Greedy Merchant
  Struggling Merchant
  Forum only
  Forum and Merchant
  Noob (can't afford to contend in the market yet.)
View Results

Guardian1239

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm
newtypephynix
Well. I guess I understand Gaia's flaw. The one way in which it will always fail.

Gaia may have a pretty real marketplace, and prices can rise and fall like in reality, But Gaia is run by younger kids, 13-16. I myself only see myself as excluded because of the way I make a living as a small business owner. Any random user on gaia wouldn't know the first thing about business.

Maybe I should just start posting How-to essays in other places. It isn't like good business is hard.

(btw, for the richer players out there, good business is not necessarily selling at top dollar every time. that is why our economy is ruined in this game.)

Guess I'll post my little way of doing it for newbs and unknowing alike.

Buy low, Sell high. Gaia likes that little saying. they are 100 % correct.
The way most try to get you is Buy low, sell higher higher higher higher.
You wanna buy an item to sell it again? use the Bid button, or orange button.

The bid button (orange) is what you want to rely on for making money without having to boost the market prices.

The Buy now (blue) button should be used mostly when buying for YOUR avatar. Trust me.

buy a 14000 item at 7000 through bidding smart, then sell it at 14000 on buy now. you make 7000 gold just like that, without chancing market pricing going up. THAT is good business.

That makes sense to all of you right? I wanna see if I can make a 'how to buy/sell' for newer players.

I think a guide would a very good idea. I understand the basics of business, but I could use a few tips.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:46 pm
Guardian1239
Calypsophia
Guardian1239
Calypsophia
Guardian1239
Greed exists in everything. There is no such thing as a self-less act. When we do something good, we get rewarded by feeling good. It's a basic part of every being, but some people let it consume them. It's really a shame that new members are treated that way, but one has to get used to that kind of a reaction if they wish to participate in any kind of online game.

certainly there are selfless acts. your of thinking only makes it selfish if one is actively looking for self gratification. personally, I like to do nice things for people not because it makes me feel better, but because it might make them feel better.

not to mention I would die for my husband and child.. you cant tell me that wouldnt be a selfless act.. once I'm dead I wont be feeling anything.

I am of course excluding love in what I said. Love and guardians are an exception to this. One reason I think I am a guardian is because I would be willing to sacrifice myself for just about anyone, even a complete stranger. Of course, this may be because I'm not afraid of death like many people are.

However, when not talking about love or guardians, when you make someone else feel better, you usually feel better about yourself. You're proud that you made the right decision.

how can you exclude love? it is love that drives us (at least it does me) to reach out an help someone, even and especially a total stranger. such acts (stopping on the road to help someone who's car wont start, or taking a wounded animal to the nearest vet) are acts of compassion, and compassion is born from love. compassion is not the same as sympathy or empathy. those are just feeling regarding someones situation. the true meaning of compassion goes deeper than that.. it drives us to actually do something... to help.

@bold: so basically what you're saying is that your assessment of helping others goes for everyone but yourself? heh, I somehow doubt that. you could be whatever you want online, but in real life you cannot be the exception to your own rule.

You have defeated me in this arguement. I am sorry for stereotyping everyone. I seem to be unfortunate enough to know a lot of people like I was describing that seem to care about no one but themselves. It's not too often that I say that I am wrong.

As for my online life, I am more myself online than I am in real life. I'm not afraid to express my ideas when the person I'm talking to can't see me. No one in my real life knows about my religion I've started yet. I tend to hide myself around real people and become open when I'm typing.

hey dude, no problem. you seem like a good guy. I know a lot of people who could never admit to being wrong much less say they're sorry for it. you are a bigger person than many. it's easy to stereotype, I even catch myself doing it from time to time. there are many incredibly selfish people out there with the 'survival of the fittest' 'me against the world' mind frame. and I think that's exactly what's wrong with the world. a lot of people, I think, think and care only of themselves because maybe they dont believe anyone else will care about them. they see everyone as out for themselves. who can really blame them with all the media hyped negativity in the world? it will just take more people to wake up and show them that they are wrong.  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:52 pm
Guardian1239
newtypephynix
Well. I guess I understand Gaia's flaw. The one way in which it will always fail.

Gaia may have a pretty real marketplace, and prices can rise and fall like in reality, But Gaia is run by younger kids, 13-16. I myself only see myself as excluded because of the way I make a living as a small business owner. Any random user on gaia wouldn't know the first thing about business.

Maybe I should just start posting How-to essays in other places. It isn't like good business is hard.

(btw, for the richer players out there, good business is not necessarily selling at top dollar every time. that is why our economy is ruined in this game.)

Guess I'll post my little way of doing it for newbs and unknowing alike.

Buy low, Sell high. Gaia likes that little saying. they are 100 % correct.
The way most try to get you is Buy low, sell higher higher higher higher.
You wanna buy an item to sell it again? use the Bid button, or orange button.

The bid button (orange) is what you want to rely on for making money without having to boost the market prices.

The Buy now (blue) button should be used mostly when buying for YOUR avatar. Trust me.

buy a 14000 item at 7000 through bidding smart, then sell it at 14000 on buy now. you make 7000 gold just like that, without chancing market pricing going up. THAT is good business.

That makes sense to all of you right? I wanna see if I can make a 'how to buy/sell' for newer players.

I think a guide would a very good idea. I understand the basics of business, but I could use a few tips.

heh, what I generally do is as I said, collect trash, flowers, and bugs, and sell them, sell whatever freebies I tend to get, convert the bugs to ink to obtain higher priced tattoos and sell those. everything I sell is at or below the average market price, depending on how much of what I have. I was never really interested in getting 'rich' on gaia, and I dont want to devote the time necessary to monitor the auctions for stuff. the only reason I have an excess of gold is because I got really lucky once and got a giftbox with an item worth 102K inside. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:52 am
Ha...I never ever monitor auctions, too time consuming.

nah, see I simply take a good guess as to the next time I have to look at it, if 13 days are left I but it on my little 'watch list' and comeback to keep track when it should be about over.

Just doing this with one item tends not to work, I like being real busy, I usually have about 4 to 5 auctions that all end a little after each other on my list. that way, my chance of getting something slightly improves.

If you know the Basics, the rest is up to you, you just have to remember.

when you purchase with the 'Buy now' button, you risk being part of a price rush. One of the very possible reasons Gaia's price lurches upwards so often is, when you Buy now the item, you get it at a set, exact price. so if you sell it later, in which naturally you wanna make a little gold, you have to raise it's price a bit, these raises can be small, like 1,000, or as large as 50,000

Lol, that and a 'polite shop' never hurts, you get ten items, try setting them up so a few are 'Bid only' at 0 gold with a fair increment that ups your chance of getting about what it is worth (I have never gone over 500 with my increment), a few with both buttons (items that people do sell after buying or items not usually worn) like event items similar to 'Fai's coat' with a small starting bid point and little to no increment.

then place collectibles with either 'buy only' (the ones people tend to keep for their own avatar) or both buttons (if you wanna give it a bid thingy, i suggest 1/2 to 3/4 the price you set for buy now, depends if you are in a good mood) and put the increment at a spot that will get you your buy now price over time.

Remember, if your increment is at 500 and you have thirteen days on the item, you have a chance of making up to 6,500 Gold on other people bidding over each other (actually more if more than one guy bids on it each day)

^^  

newtypephynix

BluePod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:29 pm
Gaia is a place to send messages back and forth with my friends and read all the neat forums and learn intresting stuff and give people advice (I like the LI) and also save up my hard posting gold to have a neat avi. Have fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 am
Heh, I'm here for the forums. I won't pretend to be good at business (I'm not), but I may start a cheap art shop in the future..I hate all of the mediocre art that sells for 50k, it's obnoxious. Especially when it's obvious that the artists don't even put serious effort into it. All of the generic pets that they only have to recolor one part of it to make it "original"..it bothers me. Then again, that's the artist side talking, not the business side (however small that is.)

A thought..Gaia economy is not all that different from real life..how many times do we find the rich getting richer and the poor dying? I don't expect Gaian businesses/economy to be any different than the economy of the world in which the players really live.

Anywho, it's a nice point you've brought up. It's the same point that's brought up in reference to any and all large community game (the "It's just a game, people" point..), but you've also got a really good idea of making a sort of how-to guide. PM me if you do it, I'll link it in my sig.  

Ryoukai

6,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

shani26

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 pm
I am new in gaia and i really don't feel bad about it. Sure it is hard for me to buy expensive stuff, but i don't feel less important cuz i don't have letters or it is hard for me to get animals.
I even got some free stuff just by saying i am looking to buy something in cheap price, and someone who saw my house gave me sunflower for free, just cuz he saw my house need it.
I met a lot of good people who are willing to give me free stuff and gold just cuz they like me. So not everybody are greedy. I think after i will get all the stuff i need for my dream avatar i probably help newb.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff