Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Project DA History
How do you feel about the "anime/manga" style? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about the "anime/manga" style?
  I love it.
  I tolerate it.
  I hate it.
  What the heck are you talking about?
View Results

Kamahi
Captain

Questionable Explorer

8,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 pm
Strawberry Slice
I hate it. It's okay if they have their own little style that is semi-anime or manga, but it just doesn't do it for me.
Anyone can draw anime.

As sad as that is mean, it is kinda true. The anime/manga style has picked up very easily, and nowadays its been ruined by new artists, drawing NOTHING but fanart, and claim to be an anime artist someday. Artists should be known for thier own work and originality, not copying off another's style and passing it off as your own just because its in your piece.

(and this is all coming from an anime artist... ._.;;; )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm
I love the style! My style is a mix of "western" and anime. but I seem to be having trouble.  

x-kiri-kun-x

Shintychou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Kamahi
Strawberry Slice
I hate it. It's okay if they have their own little style that is semi-anime or manga, but it just doesn't do it for me.
Anyone can draw anime.

As sad as that is mean, it is kinda true. The anime/manga style has picked up very easily, and nowadays its been ruined by new artists, drawing NOTHING but fanart, and claim to be an anime artist someday. Artists should be known for thier own work and originality, not copying off another's style and passing it off as your own just because its in your piece.

(and this is all coming from an anime artist... ._.;;; )

I can attempt some less exaggerated forms of it, but the wonky and cliche anatomy always kills me.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 pm
I do like the anime/manga style. I do agree though it is sort of generic, especially these days due to new artists jumping out and drawing fanart and such like that. I've drawn in an "anime/manga" style my whole life to tell the truth, and slowly I'm actually creating my own style of it.

Though basic anime/manga style can be very generic, I like the anime/manga style as a whole for the fact that I like seeing the different styles that good "anime/manga" artists create of their own. That's why I like it. I like seeing the difference, and I also like seeing when an anime artist gains their own style that is realistic, yet reminiscent of an anime style.

I could keep going if I wanted to, but more than likely I'd end up just talking in one huge circle and begin repeating myself.  

Marvealle

k0umori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:42 pm
Now this is a complicated issue for me.

"Anime/Manga"-style has merit, in my opinion, especially the more detailed and "mature" styles used by artists such as Range Murata, Akihiko Yoshida, Ayami Kojima, Hiroaki Samura and others. It can convey a great deal of emotion and meaning in a beautiful, highly stylized way without getting convoluted or messy like some western styles can tend to be after a while.

At the same time, a lot of the more generic "anime/manga" derivative styles, usually those based on mainstream shoujo and shonen series and used by non-japanese artists tends to portray this school of styles as being cheap and full of shortcuts that make the artwork seem uninspired and lazy, if not downright crude, especially since a lot of newer artists who do anime derivative work never bother to develop a basis in life drawing and never build a foundation of realistic proportion, perspective or anatomy, and their work only goes so far before glaring errors begin to bog down the overall quality they can produce.

I, myself, have developed my style with a dichotomy of influences. I grew up in a Japanese-American household and anime and manga were omnipresent throughout my childhood and adolescence, but at the same time I was a huge fan of western comics such as X-Men and had a lot of books with more traditional artworks I drew inspiration from. As I got older and began to use more life drawing and study to progress in my work I felt myself begin to move away from the anime influence and use more detailed, realistic elements in my pieces.

Non-TL;DR version: Overall, I think anime and manga styles have their place, but I feel they're over-saturated and too often do individuals who base their styles on them make it seem cheap, generic and amateurish by taking too many shortcuts and not developing a firm foundation in more traditional artistic disciplines and practices.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:10 am

I really don't like it, it seems to be used in place for creativity.

Especially on dA

It saddens me crying

MissJennaGan

MissJennaGan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:13 am
skogul

"Anime/Manga"-style has merit, in my opinion, especially the more detailed and "mature" styles used by artists such as Range Murata, Akihiko Yoshida, Ayami Kojima, Hiroaki Samura and others. It can convey a great deal of emotion and meaning in a beautiful, highly stylized way without getting convoluted or messy like some western styles can tend to be after a while.

At the same time, a lot of the more generic "anime/manga" derivative styles, usually those based on mainstream shoujo and shonen series and used by non-japanese artists tends to portray this school of styles as being cheap and full of shortcuts that make the artwork seem uninspired and lazy, if not downright crude, especially since a lot of newer artists who do anime derivative work never bother to develop a basis in life drawing and never build a foundation of realistic proportion, perspective or anatomy, and their work only goes so far before glaring errors begin to bog down the overall quality they can produce.

I, myself, have developed my style with a dichotomy of influences. I grew up in a Japanese-American household and anime and manga were omnipresent throughout my childhood and adolescence, but at the same time I was a huge fan of western comics such as X-Men and had a lot of books with more traditional artworks I drew inspiration from. As I got older and began to use more life drawing and study to progress in my work I felt myself begin to move away from the anime influence and use more detailed, realistic elements in my pieces.

Non-TL;DR version: Overall, I think anime and manga styles have their place, but I feel they're over-saturated and too often do individuals who base their styles on them make it seem cheap, generic and amateurish by taking too many shortcuts and not developing a firm foundation in more traditional artistic disciplines and practices.

Well said.

I couldn't agree more with the way you said it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:58 pm
MissJennaGan
skogul

Well said.

I couldn't agree more with the way you said it

Haha, thanks. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gotten the opposite reaction when I've stated my views on the whole anime influence in western art.  

k0umori

Katsu Kumori

Profitable Entrepreneur

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:01 pm
Like anything, it all depends on the artist and the style.
I prefer the really clean and open styles...if that makes any sense. And the more mature, realistic ones.

However, I am NEVER against someone drawing in it.
Discourageing people from it is a terrible idea. Too many young artists have been flamed for pieces for enjoying naruto and drawing it.
If they are so discouraged, then they will have no motivation to ever grow.
People learn by drawing what they enjoy, if people enjoy anime, they they should draw it.

That's where I started, and over time, on my own (and I have noticed this in many other artists) I have slowly expanded my skill set to include other things.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 am
i like it and for those ppl who say they hate it on here gaiaonline is about anime and manga and if u dont like it then y are u on here! confused  

MellonCollie23

AidenRocker18

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:08 pm
I like drawing with the anime style because it's more stylized and expressive... but people shun me as doing fanart...

It's not fanart unless if I draw a character that is someone else's creation!!! I draw my own creations, thank you very much!!! scream

*phew* I'm better now... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:15 pm
Katsu Kumori
Like anything, it all depends on the artist and the style.
I prefer the really clean and open styles...if that makes any sense. And the more mature, realistic ones.

However, I am NEVER against someone drawing in it.
Discourageing people from it is a terrible idea. Too many young artists have been flamed for pieces for enjoying naruto and drawing it.
If they are so discouraged, then they will have no motivation to ever grow.
People learn by drawing what they enjoy, if people enjoy anime, they they should draw it.

That's where I started, and over time, on my own (and I have noticed this in many other artists) I have slowly expanded my skill set to include other things.

yes, I totally agree!
you have a good opinion on the subject, I think.  

AidenRocker18

Gazawraith

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:22 pm
I quite like it, my style of drawing is very close to it but it tends to vary depending on how i feel at the time  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:55 am
I love it ^^ especially because I love to read mangas XD and it's the reason why I began to draw x3

riHim3

JereBear009

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm
I have grown to saverly dislike anime because of fan art. It is SO annoying to browse any art community because anime fans have ruined them. I used to love anime but now it makes me sick to look at. I mean all that potential lost. Elf Wood is one of the only safe places left for at.

Especially Naruto... with that said I like anime style. I use it often.  
Project DA History

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff