Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you choose a new book?
  Flashy Cover?
  Catchy Title?
  Gotta love that back cover blurb
  Recommended by friends/family/book club?
  Know the author/series
  Close eyes and randomly pull one from the shelves
View Results

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:09 pm
Well, I pick out books in a lot of different ways...

Usually, I borrow books from friends or I'll pick a book up from the library that they recommended. I also get recommendations from my mom.

Some times I'll go to the book store, read the back and then look it up on Amazon for more information. From there, I'll go get it from the library if it sounds interesting.

Once I've found a good author, I check their websites every once in a while to see if they've come out with any new books.

Every month, I join my library's book club and I get a free book from them that I read...

And then there's garage sale season. I always pick up a bunch of random books for 25 cents a piece... they don't even have to look good, I'll eventually read them.

Oh, and there's this guild. Most of the books you Gaians say are good I already own but haven't read yet. The ones that I don't own, I look for at the library. You guys are really helpful when it comes to picking out books! (:  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 am
Usually I read the back of the book, see if the title interests me, or I know the author. 3nodding  

xdearpanda

6,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Sqweebers

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:02 pm
hope no one minds me bring this back

I choose my books either by knowing the author, getting it recommened to me by my crazy little library worker friend, or the title interest me.
I've had titles interest me plenty of times, but on a few rare ocasions does the book bore me. So far authors and recommendations have been good  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 pm
Well... this could take a while... xD

I generally choose based on recommendations from friends and reading blurbs. The cover is usually what grabs me first off. I also read other stuff by the same authors and so forth.

I sometimes choose books in the most random or stupid ways though. Like recently, I read the first sentence of the third book of a series and promptly ordered the first, with no idea what the books were about.

Another time, I bought something because it had a nice title. Didn't read the blurb or anything. Fortunately both of these have turned out okay. ^^;

mizzshy

Ashley_whitlock

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:34 am
........to me i think its just what type off mood im in, if i feel like a mystery....then ill just go to that section and look for one......that has a good summary on the back. i also will read from the same auther or be recommended by a friend heart  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:19 pm
I look at the cover and read the summary on the copyright page.  

Kasi Karra
Crew

Lynnden_472

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:02 pm
For me it's prolly the title and the cover art that catches my eye, then the deciding factor is what I read when I flip through it as well as the back cover.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:50 pm
I usually pick books by their cover and their first page. You really can judge how the whole book will turn out by that.  

ScaryMissKari

Space Spook

1-8oo-SUiCiDE

5,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:42 pm
For me, it's all about covers and titles.
First off, if the cover doesn't interest me I won't read it, no matter how amazing someone else [respected or not] says it is. I dunno why that is, but I sorta feel like the author 'slacked off' if they let a bad cover be used for their book [even though I *know* that it's not always the author's choice or fault].
I'm picky about other people's titles because I'm picky about mine. I won't title anything of mine something that doesn't catch my interest. The more random the better. Also, I love when titles have nothing to do with what the book is actually about. For some reason, it makes me laugh and smile lots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 am
a mixture of recommedations and if the blurb is good mrgreen  

Polly In My Pixel

Generous Hoarder

Rogue_Silence13

5,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 am
The book has to have a catchy title, or I wont pick it up, but the summary on the back is the deciding factor.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:21 am
The selection process is a combination (but I guess I'm more inclined to pick out something that looks or sounds pretty) and then the blurb is the deciding factor.  

Meiyume

Lore_Maester

3,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:12 am
I live overseas on a military base so my book selection is very, very, very-very......small crying So usually I work my way over to my favorite section of the bookstore, look at all the finally updated books, find a title or flashy cover that appeals to me, and then read the little blurb. If I'm on a mission to find an author/series then I automatically do the library alphabetical thing (chances are though that I won't be there). Other then that I just look online at a book I loved and then look for those "if you liked this book you will like..." Sometimes they are very accurate and I've found many of my favorite books there. It's insane though when I go to a Barnes and Nobles in the States. I buy about twenty books in one sitting. (I'm usually only able to go to bookstores twice in the States because of that)  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:14 pm
Well most of the time I just go by the title and/or cover then look at the back to see if it's any good.  

X_Saikoro_Tenshi_X

6,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Ninja Otaku Gurl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:38 pm
It depends I usually read the back or just pick randomly off the shelf. These books I chose because of the title: UNLUNDUN, The Name Of this Book is secret and its sequel, If your reading this its to late. biggrin ninja  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff