Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
The Golden Compass - A let down of EPIC proportions. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was Golden Compass a Good or Bad movie?
  Good
  Bad
  Haven't seen it, but want to.
  Haven't seen it, and no interest to do so.
View Results

WillWintter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:07 am
This is like my favorite book series ever yet this movie was awful. I had the highest hopes for it, yet it disappointed me in every way. I grew up on these books but the movie should be burned from the records of history.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:43 pm
I thought that the movie was just a preview to the book, that's what it seemed like anyways. I watched the movie first then read the book, and the movie felt like it had been preview. I love the books though.  

Midnight Phase

6,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

The Dark Archer
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:19 am
It was a let down crying  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:30 pm
Gwion Vaughn
They removed all the best scenes along with all the stuff about religion and the Church which mostly robbed it of point.

Yeah. Except that then there would've been a lot of controversy with religion. Despite the fact that it makes up most of the plot...
I really wanted to see this when I heard of it. And when I got to... I was incredibly disappointed. I absolutely loved the books. One thing that really annoyed me was when Lyra found out who her mother was. It wasn't nearly as dramatic, and you couldn't really get used to the characters enough for it to really do anything.  

PandaBoi3

Ice Street 7

Aged Vampire

5,275 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:07 pm
I have not read the books but my sister has and said that it was pretty faithful which I believe a book turned movie that is pretty good is great because to be honest most fail in the transformation. I liked it and thought it was a great movie.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 am
OHkay, rant a comin':

This movie was awful. I've never read the novel, and I know I know, 'don't judge a book by its movie' but it was so awful I have NO desire to get anywhere NEAR the book.
I had over 24+ hours to watch this movie. It was showing while I was on a 14 hour flight [and on the 14 hours back], and believe me, I tried to watch it. And everytime I started, I had to turn it off. I must have watched the beginning 30 minutes of the movie about eight times. I was bored, I turned onto the movie channel, put my headphones on and tried to watch it, and it was so bad I just HAD to turn it off. It was a constant repeat of this. The girl that was sitting two seats down from me was also doing the same thing. Attempting to watch Golden Compass, and turning it off. I think they were also playing Jumper, does anyone else think that movie was awful as well? Because I couldn't stand to watch that one either. It was an awful flight.  

JuilianFai

Lunar Kissed

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:08 am
I liked this movie and decided to read the books after seeing it since I had not taken the opportunity to do so. The Amber Spyglass was so boring that I couldn't read through it, so I tracked down a sypnosis to see what it is that Lyra was supposed to do that warrants putting an assassin on her. So lame.

I didn't think that the movie seemed all that different from the book. It wasn't that bad for an adaptation.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:36 pm
Over all i thought it was very hard to understand. I had imagined it to be a childs film but there is too much reasoning involved in the film itself. The story line just doesnt make sense and I thought they could have done a lot better. Nicole Kidman, I feel, had stooped below her abilities for that movie and the role just did not fit her.  

kris X kross

Rosary16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 pm
I didn't see the movie, but I heard it wasn't very good.
Fans of His Dark Materials who feel the movie massacred the story: You have my sympathy  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 pm
I couldn't even finish the first book. it was pretty lame, so I bet the movie was too.  

Oshi the Killer

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm
Ahh yes, and another amazing book bites the dust when bitten by the movie biz. ugh. That movie was an abomination  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:23 pm
I've heard that the movie quite a bit to be desired in the way of faithfulness to the book, but as a movie inspired by the book or standing alone I really enjoyed it. The effects were beautiful, and the world created was sumptuous. they put a lot of detail in it, and while I wasn't to found of the open ending at least it was happy.  

kingsly III

3,950 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Brinioo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:11 am
I haven't read the book yet but I kinda like the movie.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:49 am
If I asses the movie as a replication of the book then I would have to say that it was a major let down on epic proportions. However if I hadn't read the book than I would have thoroughly enjoyed the movie, unfortunately i did read the book(which was really good by the way) so I was disappointing by the movie.  

ToxicGlare

Dapper Fairy

lillee e guana

5,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:39 pm
I thought the movie was good for kids...but then again I have'nt read the books.  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff