Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
Pan's Labyrinth: Contains Spoiler Info Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You hate it too?
  Worst movie ever.
  I hate it.
  Have not seen it yet, so I'll hate it later.
  Have not seen it, but I already know I hate it.
View Results

onagakami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 am
xXDragon FoxXx
thing was like so off! First of all, Pan is the Titan God of the Wild, second, the labrinth belongs to the ghost king, it was built by that son of athena, and Pan just lives in it! The only killing involved in that maze is the Minator!

You're incorrectly assuming The Faun is supposed to be the Greek god Pan and that the Labyrinth is the one of specific legend, built for King Menolaus, which held the minotaur. But both terms are being used generically in Del Toro's movie. The term labyrinth today just means "a winding maze," or refers to "a situation that is difficult to escape." Ophelia's story applies in both ways, since she has to traverse the faun's obstacles and her home life is horrible/inescapable. Also, the faun of the movie isn't Pan, he's just a faun, which is the generic term for a half-man, half-goat creature.

The original title of the film is "El Laberinto Del Fauno," translated as "the Labyrinth of the Faun." The word Pan is never once mentioned in it. That change was made by American movie-makers who didn't feel American audiences would know the meaning of "faun," or at least the difference between a baby deer and the classic Greek creature, unless the most well-known faun was referenced.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:39 pm
I love how the OP totally abandons her thread...  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am
I can understand how one would be disappointed by Pans Labyrinth (especially when only looking at the trailers), but what opened up was a fantastical (and yes, very fantasy-oriented) reality that was gruesome, and brutal, yet true-to-life. The trailers, for me, were a kind of wrapping paper that hinted at what was inside -- the present was shaped like a box, so I assumed it was going to be a pair of shoes...tried, tested, and true...but still a pair of shoes. Instead, I got a personalized box filled with trinkets and home-made wonders that really surprised me. I love Pans Labyrinth, and I'm glad that it wasn't just another fairy-tale fantasty. domokun  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:08 pm
onagakami
xXDragon FoxXx
thing was like so off! First of all, Pan is the Titan God of the Wild, second, the labrinth belongs to the ghost king, it was built by that son of athena, and Pan just lives in it! The only killing involved in that maze is the Minator!

You're incorrectly assuming The Faun is supposed to be the Greek god Pan and that the Labyrinth is the one of specific legend, built for King Menolaus, which held the minotaur. But both terms are being used generically in Del Toro's movie. The term labyrinth today just means "a winding maze," or refers to "a situation that is difficult to escape." Ophelia's story applies in both ways, since she has to traverse the faun's obstacles and her home life is horrible/inescapable. Also, the faun of the movie isn't Pan, he's just a faun, which is the generic term for a half-man, half-goat creature.

The original title of the film is "El Laberinto Del Fauno," translated as "the Labyrinth of the Faun." The word Pan is never once mentioned in it. That change was made by American movie-makers who didn't feel American audiences would know the meaning of "faun," or at least the difference between a baby deer and the classic Greek creature, unless the most well-known faun was referenced.

do you even research greek mytholigy? Pan, is not a god, but a Titan (before gods), the king did not make the maze but OWNS it, another guy made it...plus pan is a faun...and he LIVES in the labyrinth  

xXDragon FoxXx

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:42 pm
xXDragon FoxXx
onagakami
xXDragon FoxXx

do you even research greek mytholigy? Pan, is not a god, but a Titan (before gods), the king did not make the maze but OWNS it, another guy made it...plus pan is a faun...and he LIVES in the labyrinth

Either way, both of your arguments are futile, as the myth has absolutely nothing to do with the movie. All that matters is that the name Pan was used so American audiences could understand that the faun was a mythical creature, and not a deer.

Please try and stay on topic. It would be appreciated if you stopped the discussion on the myth in the thread, and continued it either in private, or in the General Chat sub-forum.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:50 pm
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was fairly good. But it was hard for me to understand what was going on cuz it was in Spanish.Which is sad cuz I was raised speaking Spanish as my first language.I found it funny how they made it look like Pan was if he was a bad guy until Ophelia dies.  

Evil Kitty Uzumaki

xXDragon FoxXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 am
Evil Kitty Uzumaki
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was fairly good. But it was hard for me to understand what was going on cuz it was in Spanish.Which is sad cuz I was raised speaking Spanish as my first language.I found it funny how they made it look like Pan was if he was a bad guy until Ophelia dies.

funny? the satyr kills a girl, that is not funny...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm
xXDragon FoxXx
Evil Kitty Uzumaki

funny? the satyr kills a girl, that is not funny...

Pan did not kill Ophelia's step-dad killed her. scream  

Evil Kitty Uzumaki

Tobias Mule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:22 am
O_o

I loved this film. It was definitely a fantasy movie and it was beautiful.
Maybe you need to broaden your view of what makes a film a fantasy film.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 am
Mika Relie
O_o

I have to agree. This film did a beautiful job of weaving the famntasy elements into the modern setting. The two sides of the movie compliment eacch other. Also, it was very cool to see something adressing the spanish experience of WWII  

Nikolai Tesla

Ice-Cold Vegetarian

35,365 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Post Coital Cookie
Captain

Bloblike Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 pm
I thought it was a pretty great movie. I don't usually get into subtitles, but that was a fantastic movie, definitely worth the extra reading.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:52 pm
Nonesuch42
Mika Relie
O_o

I have to agree. This film did a beautiful job of weaving the famntasy elements into the modern setting. The two sides of the movie compliment eacch other. Also, it was very cool to see something adressing the spanish experience of WWII

I agree. One of the better ones I've seen in a while, that wasn't mostly for eyecandy's sake. - And the voice of the faun was freakishly awesome.  

Contra Mundi
Crew

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:10 am
havent seen it but want to but not votin cos ill probably like it lol  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 am
Wow that first page their was pretty intense.

Anyways about the film, I thought it was brilliant, and dark. However I happened to be one of those many viewers who expected a child friendly film, only to watch the step dad punch a guys face in for a small reason. Very surprising and distressing.

But other then that the story I thought was very mystical and fantasy. Yeah its not your typical fantasy like Harry Potter or LOTR with flying brooms, witches and the like but it still had fantasy elements.
Like the giant frog, the fairies, the creature with the eyes in his hands, the faun and the tree root. All of this came from the girls imagination, So that she could escape her reality. Making it, I think, fantasy.  

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 am
Oh, and your poll is ever so slightly biased.  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff