Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply The GAIA Complaints Dept
My goodness - the rudeness of kids these days. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

metal gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:13 am
pixiewytch
You see, this is the thing. They are all under the illusion that when they grow up their lives will be so glamorous and exciting with their fancy career or whatever they have decided to aspire to that they would never deign to play an online game. I mean, that is only for underachiever losers who have no life, right?

Don't worry, they will all grow up and realize that adulthood isn't as exciting and romantic as they think it will be, lol. blaugh
yes they will all grow up and realize they have become us someday! aaah I like that! lol ;p  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 am
Devilish Zukin
Madame_Fluffy
Devilish Zukin
It's very insulting, considering that a lot of us "Older People" are the ones that are donating to the site to keep it even running. x__X

But to many of the younger generation, that common fact goes unnoticed by them. Hell, the concept of donations needed to keep the site running is completely foreign to them.

As far as they're concerned - Gaia is for kids only and no one over the age of 17 should be on this site.

You know kids, they'll make fun of anything to make them feel better about the new outcropping of acne on their back. :3
lol nah they are just jealous that we don't have to steal from our parents wallet to buy gaian items from the cash shops. ;p  

metal gypsy

Zukes

Mythical Elder

17,925 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 am
*gigglesnorts* Nice one Gypsy. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 am
pixiewytch
Mrs_Black_Bear
Yes I have come across that anoyance unfortunately

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with such behavior? I think it has to do with a lack of good parenting since now days spanking your child is considered abuse, and it would also seem Christianity is banned in all aspects from schools and the general public which annoys me greatly I mean what about Freedom of religion?

The world has certainly declined and it makes me very sad, Though I hope to have children of my own and raise them to be respectfull of all people and well manored.

I think it has more to do with personal values and morality than a religious preference. I am not Christian but I do have a moral value code I try to pass down to my children which includes very restricted media. We don't even own a tv for that reason alone. I don't buy your "freedom of religion" argument though because in my experience most Christians only want their religion taught in schools. You can't call it freedom of religion unless they are teaching ALL religions in school. It is highly offensive to assume that all students come from a Christian background when that isn't the case. This is why private schools exist for parents to have the option of religion in school. My child goes to a private school with a spiritual component and a value system I can agree with for that very reason. I don't believe it is fair to impose that on public school however.
I was refering to the the fact that Christian children and college kids can't even have after school Group get togethers where they can make friends and get together and talk about how God has influenced them, and we get critizized if they catch us giving thanks for our food before eating it at lunch when we are not imposing on others to do it, yet other relgions such as wica, can have thier groups and thier rituals after and during school and no one critizies them for doing their rituals or what not in public and for having a voice where as if we mention we are christian everyone automatically assumes we are bible thumpers. This is what angers me. I do think that you need to read the rest of what I wrote too, about parenting and the media, the religion thing was just a minority of what I think is draging the world down hill.  

Mrs_Black_Bear

tehrin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 am
pixiewytch
You see, this is the thing. They are all under the illusion that when they grow up their lives will be so glamorous and exciting with their fancy career or whatever they have decided to aspire to that they would never deign to play an online game. I mean, that is only for underachiever losers who have no life, right?

Don't worry, they will all grow up and realize that adulthood isn't as exciting and romantic as they think it will be, lol. blaugh

I used to think that by the time I'm 26, I'd be working as an animator and doing work for all these awesome movies. Well, nope. I'm sitting here doing my own thing, and enjoying every moment of it. Ironically, I'm still very much the same as I was when I was a kid. Just more experienced and just a tad bit wiser. razz But all in all, I haven't really changed that much. I guess people assume that as an adult, you have to take on these boring, mundane, 1950's adult preconceptions-- taking care of kids, vacuuming in high heels and pearls, or reading the newspaper with your pipe... or something. If you haven't achieved that, you're obviously a loser with no life or something.

When in reality, it's not like that at all. You are only as old as you let yourself be. The only two things that you *have* to do in life is pay taxes and die. Nobody's forcing you to do A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G you don't want to do. Nobody's pointing a gun to your head saying that you HAVE to be an adult. Though having a general sense of responsibility is a very good thing. But if I want to sit online and play games or chat on a forum with cute pixel characters, I have every right to. razz  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm
I have never understood why the mere existence of adults online is so threatening to children.

I'm an internet dinosaur, I'm 44 and have been online since I was 20-21 (it's a little fuzzy!). I simply can't comprehend the idea that "ok, now you're over age, the internet isn't for you anymore!". I don't do exactly the same things I did then, and boy, have things changed, but it's still a useful tool. Heck, it's the generation older than I am who invented the darn thing - why do children think they're going to just abandon their creation?

Until his final illness, my father in law was still sending email and reading websites at 79. He said it kept his brain working. In fact, he was the one who noted his old computer wasn't keeping up anymore and wanted a new one.

I am careful about where I participate in Gaia simply because I don't have time to deal with the hassles. But I'm proud to say I've made friends here of widely varying ages, both younger and older than I am, and they're all interesting. For me, it's less about age and more about who you are.  

purplewiz

Mega Nerd

Zahmira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:08 pm
Some kids don't seem to think about the people who created and run this website. All mods have to be over the age of 18. So if they're concerned with "*****" maybe they should look to the people who created and run the "teens only" hang out. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:15 pm
for one thing...in fact older people have more of a life than most the kids who hang out on gaia ALL DAY. For another not every old person is a ***** lol. I love to see older people on the internet (i'm pretty young myself still) and I think it's awesome!

And it's so true, how old do they think the people who create video games, mod/create websites, and draw the GOOD art online are? They're usually not younger than their mid 20's by the time they can get to that point in life (aside from the choice few innovators who started something on the net at a young age, and even now they're all college graduates).

I'm just so glad to have found this guild! It's so awesome to see people who think similar to me and aren't under 12 and begging for items from me. Sometimes I just wonder "where is this logic coming from?"  

RadicalEd

Aged Member

President Kristian Fry

7,950 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm
Madame_Fluffy
So, my fellow geezers, I must ask...

Do you ever come across the younger populace of this site, and upon learning your real age, you hear the following...

'OMG!!1WTF R OLD PPL DOING ON GAIA?!1! F*CKING *****!!! H4VE NO L1FE!!1 DEY SHULD B B@NNED!1!'

I find this incredibly insulting, don't you?

I mean, why is it so appauling to learn that there are adults on Gaia Online? And why do they automatically assume that these same adults have no lives of their own, or that they're *****? (just because some of these whipper snappers are on this site - disobeying the site rules by seeking a cyber sex partner - does not mean the older users are here for that purpose, as well).

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with such behavior?
YES I HAVE!! and I hate it. It made me feel so unsure if I should say my age or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 pm
The AGE is always what they like to ask ru 13......I respond by saying ...
Does it matter and I change the subject.....

Talking to teens is like pulling hair out of your nose ...OUCH! I have two thirteen year olds and I pretty much stay away from them while online at the same time on Gaia. LOL lol although my daughter has me on her friends list....I feel better....the son....not!  

Topaz Citrine

pixiewytch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 pm
tehrin
pixiewytch

I used to think that by the time I'm 26, I'd be working as an animator and doing work for all these awesome movies. Well, nope. I'm sitting here doing my own thing, and enjoying every moment of it. Ironically, I'm still very much the same as I was when I was a kid. Just more experienced and just a tad bit wiser. razz But all in all, I haven't really changed that much. I guess people assume that as an adult, you have to take on these boring, mundane, 1950's adult preconceptions-- taking care of kids, vacuuming in high heels and pearls, or reading the newspaper with your pipe... or something. If you haven't achieved that, you're obviously a loser with no life or something.

When in reality, it's not like that at all. You are only as old as you let yourself be. The only two things that you *have* to do in life is pay taxes and die. Nobody's forcing you to do A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G you don't want to do. Nobody's pointing a gun to your head saying that you HAVE to be an adult. Though having a general sense of responsibility is a very good thing. But if I want to sit online and play games or chat on a forum with cute pixel characters, I have every right to. razz

Amen to that!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 pm
Mrs_Black_Bear
pixiewytch
Mrs_Black_Bear
Yes I have come across that anoyance unfortunately

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with such behavior? I think it has to do with a lack of good parenting since now days spanking your child is considered abuse, and it would also seem Christianity is banned in all aspects from schools and the general public which annoys me greatly I mean what about Freedom of religion?

The world has certainly declined and it makes me very sad, Though I hope to have children of my own and raise them to be respectfull of all people and well manored.

I think it has more to do with personal values and morality than a religious preference. I am not Christian but I do have a moral value code I try to pass down to my children which includes very restricted media. We don't even own a tv for that reason alone. I don't buy your "freedom of religion" argument though because in my experience most Christians only want their religion taught in schools. You can't call it freedom of religion unless they are teaching ALL religions in school. It is highly offensive to assume that all students come from a Christian background when that isn't the case. This is why private schools exist for parents to have the option of religion in school. My child goes to a private school with a spiritual component and a value system I can agree with for that very reason. I don't believe it is fair to impose that on public school however.
I was refering to the the fact that Christian children and college kids can't even have after school Group get togethers where they can make friends and get together and talk about how God has influenced them, and we get critizized if they catch us giving thanks for our food before eating it at lunch when we are not imposing on others to do it, yet other relgions such as wica, can have thier groups and thier rituals after and during school and no one critizies them for doing their rituals or what not in public and for having a voice where as if we mention we are christian everyone automatically assumes we are bible thumpers. This is what angers me. I do think that you need to read the rest of what I wrote too, about parenting and the media, the religion thing was just a minority of what I think is draging the world down hill.

Oh, I know you made some great points I agree with. I wasn't trying to pick on you. I just dislike the bias certain religions tend to have toward so called "freedom of religion". For instance, the only after school religious groups I heard of being banned were ones where on staff teachers were teaching creationism and calling it curriculum based. I just see it as a sneaky way to get around the rules. Then the kids who didn't participate in the program were penalized for it. I have zero problem with groups like FCA or other extracurricular activities where Christians get together and do things that are not rooted in changing school curriculum in their favor. If those are being eliminated then I'm sorry that is happening.

I did spend most of my teenage years in wicca/paganism and I can tell you that I have never seen any groups catered for or around that. If anything I was called horrible names and all but burned at the bloody stake for bringing up such things, lol.

Maybe things have changed or maybe some sort of Christian propaganda speaker/media is making it sound as though suddenly Pagans are running schools and putting Christian followers in torture chambers somewhere while chanting spells. blaugh  

pixiewytch

Qween_Trisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 pm
Devilish Zukin
It's very insulting, considering that a lot of us "Older People" are the ones that are donating to the site to keep it even running. x__X

yea i know the feeling i have had a couple go to my profile and comment to me about my age so i reported them and got an pm back from an admin about it. anther thing that bothers me is now when they find out your age......they begin begging for items and gold bc they know we can get it easier than they can...well at times anyways sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm
President Kristian Fry
Madame_Fluffy
So, my fellow geezers, I must ask...

Do you ever come across the younger populace of this site, and upon learning your real age, you hear the following...

'OMG!!1WTF R OLD PPL DOING ON GAIA?!1! F*CKING *****!!! H4VE NO L1FE!!1 DEY SHULD B B@NNED!1!'

I find this incredibly insulting, don't you?

I mean, why is it so appauling to learn that there are adults on Gaia Online? And why do they automatically assume that these same adults have no lives of their own, or that they're *****? (just because some of these whipper snappers are on this site - disobeying the site rules by seeking a cyber sex partner - does not mean the older users are here for that purpose, as well).

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with such behavior?
YES I HAVE!! and I hate it. It made me feel so unsure if I should say my age or not.

I honestly do not let that stop me. If they b***h and whine about how old I am, I let them.

Just shows how incredibly naive they are to think only teenagers would be on such a populated site.  

Madame_Fluffy

Madame_Fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm
Succubus_Qween
Devilish Zukin

yea i know the feeling i have had a couple go to my profile and comment to me about my age so i reported them and got an pm back from an admin about it. anther thing that bothers me is now when they find out your age......they begin begging for items and gold bc they know we can get it easier than they can...well at times anyways sweatdrop

We can?

If you mean because we older folks are known to donate more and such, not all of us do. (I don't, anyway).

I make my Gaia fortune on creating artwork (when I can spare the time to) or sell some of the old MC/evolving items I have that I either never use or don't hold my interest.  
The GAIA Complaints Dept

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff