Reply Serious Conversations
Abortion. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RoleOfAQS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:30 pm
To me, this is no longer a matter of Life vs Choice.

As women, we have a choice... TWO, actually. We can choose to have sex, or not. Then we can choose to use protection, or not. Afterward, either way, we must do one thing that has abandoned all of America - TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

As such, I am neither Pro-Life nor Pro-Choice, but am Pro-Responsibility. This is something that goes beyond just the issue of Abortion. Across the board, people are blaming others and trying find ways out of being responsible for things. This is an age where things like Honor, Respect, and Responsibility are terms that have lost their meaning, and that to me is very upsetting.

You don't get second chances in life. Take what you did and accept the responsibility, whether it be a child, or something else. Stop blaming others for your problems. BOYS, THIS GOES FOR YOU TOO. If you do wind up getting a girl pregnant, it is your job to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Don't run, but instead be brave and face it like a man.

Pro-Responsibility applies to all things and and all genders. You have many choices in life, but this is the most important - Are you willing to do the right thing, and take responsibility for your actions?

If not, you are a failure of a human. To abandon something that could be your greatest treasure, or to run away from responsibility and the people you love, in this case. Abortion isn't just an issue that affects the mothers, after all. It affects the fathers, who opt for 'runaway abortions', fleeing from the child they helped to create and the person whom loved them.

So... who are you? Are you a force that focuses on only the women - Life? Are you a force that focuses on the abandonment of responsibility - Choice? Or will you hold both the women and men up to taking responsibility, not just on abortion issues, but other ones as well? Are you a force that stands for responsibility itself?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 pm
I am 100% against abortion... I will not argue my point.

I do like RoleOfAQS views.  

Lil-Jo
Crew

Creator Nan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:35 pm
I am Pro-Life, but in a very few circumstances...such as a woman's life is in danger (if the fetus is viable though, it should be delivered safely), rape, and other such things. There are so many choices for birth control, there is no reason for a woman to use abortion for that reaon; especially now with the morning after pill. The other thing to consider is whether or not the father of the baby wants the baby. I think it is selfish of a woman to abort a baby the man wants. I have experience working in a day surgery clinic where we did abortions and most woman who had them regretted it afterward. This is the reason I became pro-life.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:00 pm
bulmer24
The other thing to consider is whether or not the father of the baby wants the baby. I think it is selfish of a woman to abort a baby the man wants. I have experience working in a day surgery clinic where we did abortions and most woman who had them regretted it afterward. This is the reason I became pro-life.

Maybe a few men out there have actually wanted the baby, I just don't happen to know any of them. neutral

I can respect your conclusion on the matter, though.

Lil-Jo
I am 100% against abortion... I will not argue my point.

I do like RoleOfAQS views.

-shrug- You don't have to argue. I just like hearing about what you guys have to say.

I like how RoleOfAQS stated her view.

Shinigami Unity
Most abortions are performed by D&C - however, it's often a common procedure used when miscarrying. But the difference is - you were having a miscarriage. If you had not had the D&C you would have still lost your baby. The most common reason for miscarriage is genetic error in the first 2 months of pregnancy. In my case - there was no fetus at all (my second pregnancy) - but all of the equipment needed to grow a baby was present.

It still made me very sad, however - fetus or not.

My mother went through a miscarriage two years ago, and I honestly didn't know how to comfort her. I was prepared to care for her during her pregnancy, but not that.

Maester_Leoshin
Wow another one of these.. lol. I'm pro-choice.

Well, thank you for bearing with my bringing up the subject.

kerryness
The ONLY law I would ever approve or vote for regarding abortion would be so many in a certain amount of time, especially in those states where abortion is free.

I think that what you bring up is at least original, I've never considered legislation concerning a procedural cap.

baberlababs
Then your child can grow up in a poor environment and experience how bad life is when you don't have money. Or maybe a mommy's life gets fixed fully on raising that one child..
Not that it's impossible but surely also not easy.

You do bring up a practical point: What happens when an ill-equipped girl/woman tries to be a mother.
All I can say about a child growing up in a poor environment is... you can not hope to shield a child from all of the evils of the world or struggles in life.

Life should be sacred and precious in all of our minds/hearts, as painful as that might sound to you. It's not always the case that life is valued, of course. Also, what you say about life not being sacred to God could lead into a conversation on the Problem of Evil and I have considered opening a thread centered around that.  

Ellemir

hagelwetter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:30 pm
Shinigami Unity
baberlababs
I feel with you and I feel sad for you that that lady could not shut up. It's nothing good when people can't hold back with spreading their opinions out into the world at the worst moment possible.

In the way you tell it it sounds right what you did. At least right for you. And thats the thing that matters. No matter what anyone else thinks.

Lol - but that didn't stop me from feeling like it was the wrong decision. Social stigmata and whatnot. Took me awhile to get it into my head that other people's opinions didn't matter.

Glad you eventually managed though biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 pm
There are only a few ways I would go with abortion

1. if I was raped - but even if I was raped I would go to my doctor and get a morning after pill.

2. if carrying the baby to full term was a risk to either (or both) of mine or the babies lives where endanger.

I do agree with 0Brutal-Beauty0 that birth control should be provided everywhere but that does not help people like me. My doctor will not prescribe birth control to me due to my high risk of cancer. birth control will only up my risk for getting cancer. so me and my husband have to go with spermicide and condoms but even that is not 100% effective nor is birth control. although if I were to get pregnant by my husband I would not abort the child unless I could not carry it safely to full term.  

Lita Kuragari

Wendy Essex

Intergalactic Saint

15,000 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:08 am
I am Pro-choice. I am not married but I'm not single. I have two children (by the same man, the one i live with still). I have also had an abortion and a DNC due to miscarriage. I chose to have an abortion because I got pregnant quickly again after my first child. I was also suffering from pretty bad post partum depression. I made my choice because I did not want to make my depression any worse because I was already suicidal. I do not regret my choice. I made the right decision for me, my family and the baby. Five years later, I had my second child and she's the best thing in the world. I was ready to be a parent again and I'd dealt with my depression and have not had any symptoms of depression.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 am
Quote:
Most abortions are performed by D&C - however, it's often a common procedure used when miscarrying. But the difference is - you were having a miscarriage. If you had not had the D&C you would have still lost your baby. The most common reason for miscarriage is genetic error in the first 2 months of pregnancy. In my case - there was no fetus at all (my second pregnancy) - but all of the equipment needed to grow a baby was present.

It still made me very sad, however - fetus or not.

Ok, I feel kinda silly by asking that but
1. what is a D&C? (I only know D&G...)
2. what is that miscarriage-thing. Is it that your body pretends to be pregnant, which means you gain weight and your hormons will run wild or does it mean that there are organs without body? Both sounds gross to me, but in the first case, I do not understand why it should be sad... I mean this would be more like a "false alarm". Or is it something completely different?

I don't want to sound rude, but I am really confused (maybe it is a matter of language) and I don't value pregnancy as something I want to experience. Actually I feel kinda sorry when I see a pregnant woman. It's the same feeling I have when I see hungry kids in TV.

Personally I am pro-choice. Here in Germany you have to go to a psychologist before you can get an abortion. She/He will talk to you about your situation. With that they hope women might chose the child because they get the feeling "I am not alone. I can manage that".
I think this is a good way, but I would still chose an abortion. I don't think I could raise a child that would be mentally healthy... if my psyche is not in a good state how can that of my child be?  

Shenyu

Lita Kuragari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:56 am
Shenyu
Ok, I feel kinda silly by asking that but
1. what is a D&C? (I only know D&G...)
2. what is that miscarriage-thing. Is it that your body pretends to be pregnant, which means you gain weight and your hormons will run wild or does it mean that there are organs without body? Both sounds gross to me, but in the first case, I do not understand why it should be sad... I mean this would be more like a "false alarm". Or is it something completely different?

1. (correct me if I'm wrong please)D&C - Dilation (dilatation) and curettage literally refers to the dilation (opening) of the cervix and surgical removal of the contents of the uterus. It is a therapeutic gynecological procedure as well as a rarely used method of first trimester abortion. (also used after miscarriage to clean the uterus)

2. a miscarriage is when a woman becomes pregnant, but at some point during the pregnancy she loses the child (baby dies inside the mother before it is born)  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:39 am
The dilation (opening) and curettage (cleaning out) ensures no tissue (fetus, placenta, etc) is left behind to rot.

Miscarriage is usually a very heavy period after a missed period, so a girl might not even realize she had conceived. Before modern medicine, most women died from complications of BEING FEMALE.

My miscarriage was in the 4th month, and I'd been spotting blood the whole term. I wasn't shocked when cramping started... just profoundly sad. I thought I would be told to go home and sit on the toilet for a day and then start over. Instead the medical community tormented me for the rest of the day, and I had to go home and pretend I was fine, when actually I was furious, humiliated, and grieving.

... Wow, I guess I'm still mad about that.  

Taxi Mama

RadicalEd

Aged Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:28 pm
RoleOfAQS
To me, this is no longer a matter of Life vs Choice.

As women, we have a choice... TWO, actually. We can choose to have sex, or not. Then we can choose to use protection, or not. Afterward, either way, we must do one thing that has abandoned all of America - TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

As such, I am neither Pro-Life nor Pro-Choice, but am Pro-Responsibility. This is something that goes beyond just the issue of Abortion. Across the board, people are blaming others and trying find ways out of being responsible for things. This is an age where things like Honor, Respect, and Responsibility are terms that have lost their meaning, and that to me is very upsetting.

You don't get second chances in life. Take what you did and accept the responsibility, whether it be a child, or something else. Stop blaming others for your problems. BOYS, THIS GOES FOR YOU TOO. If you do wind up getting a girl pregnant, it is your job to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Don't run, but instead be brave and face it like a man.

Pro-Responsibility applies to all things and and all genders. You have many choices in life, but this is the most important - Are you willing to do the right thing, and take responsibility for your actions?

If not, you are a failure of a human. To abandon something that could be your greatest treasure, or to run away from responsibility and the people you love, in this case. Abortion isn't just an issue that affects the mothers, after all. It affects the fathers, who opt for 'runaway abortions', fleeing from the child they helped to create and the person whom loved them.

So... who are you? Are you a force that focuses on only the women - Life? Are you a force that focuses on the abandonment of responsibility - Choice? Or will you hold both the women and men up to taking responsibility, not just on abortion issues, but other ones as well? Are you a force that stands for responsibility itself?

I must agree with this. I will say that cases like rape and things should definatley be considered but they are SUCH a rare thing that they should not be taken as the majority.

If you are not ready for a child, don't have sex. That is YOUR choice. I hate how people lately are saying that all these laws are prohibiting their choices. They are NOT. You are choosing a lifestyle, a partner, a political agenda WHATEVER and that is your choice and you have to realize that your choices CAN prevent you from certain options in life.

Everyone is so certain that is only OTHER people's choices that are inhibiting their life decisions when they don't realize that they need to be responsible for their lives and their decisions. They need to face the fact that their choices in life can keep them from making other choices and that it is not always someone else's fault.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:01 pm
As a healthcare provider, we never bring politics or religion in on the topic of abortion. It would be a violation of patient rights under HIPAA.

I believe in a woman's right to choose. There is a fine line drawn though, from a medical perspective that if the woman is using abortion as a method of birth control, they are warned that they may suffer significant and dangerous complications. My youngest patient was 15, on her third abortion, and attempted a fourth... she landed herself in the hospital, for 6 weeks and had no choice but to have a total hysterectomy due to damage brought on from previous abortion procedures.

As a woman... no politician, no religious person, no pro-lifer has the right to tell me that I cant have an abortion. It is not their business to know about my healthcare. Im protected under HIPAA as a patient and so are my patients.

The protesting groups at the one clinic we have in the network who performs abortions are a harassing group who commonly are told to leave when they break the agreement of protest set by the local police department. They have to do a peaceful protest with no graphic pictures. Any violation can warrant removal or an arrest.

I feel strongly about patient rights and no one has the right to take that choice away.

This is just my opinion, and please note that I mean no disrespect to religious or political supporters. But, a patient has a right to privacy and that includes having an abortion procedure performed  

Wixandrettas

Shenyu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:46 pm
Quote:
If you are not ready for a child, don't have sex. That is YOUR choice.

Well, that would be so easy, if sex was just for making babies. But sex is more than this. It's getting close to the person that is (hopefully) the most important one to you. It is giving your body as a personal gift.
But I think you have the possibility to have sex and prevent yourself from becoming pregnant. But what if that does not work because of whatever? Your pill does not have effect and the condom has a hole. I think this would be a kind of complicated thing. On the one hand you do not have a tragic situation like rape or something. On the other hand no one can say that you did not act responsible because you really tried.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:12 pm
All the pro-choice people and laws make me feel odd for noticing that abortion terminates a person's (i.e. the baby's) life without asking the person's permission. ^^;

The woman/couple could always sign the baby up for adoption if she/they really don't want the child, I suppose.

But I was raised religiously. I would prefer not to force my moral values on others.  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:45 pm
Wendy Essex
I am Pro-choice. I am not married but I'm not single. I have two children (by the same man, the one i live with still). I have also had an abortion and a DNC due to miscarriage. I chose to have an abortion because I got pregnant quickly again after my first child. I was also suffering from pretty bad post partum depression. I made my choice because I did not want to make my depression any worse because I was already suicidal. I do not regret my choice. I made the right decision for me, my family and the baby. Five years later, I had my second child and she's the best thing in the world. I was ready to be a parent again and I'd dealt with my depression and have not had any symptoms of depression.

Good for you! I'm glad that you took the time to make a decision that was right for you. I know how difficult postpartum depression is - I was there with mine, too.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff