Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Of course!
View Results

lawtonfogle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:24 pm
Zephyrkitty
Feminism is the radical notion that women deserve rights...

Exactly what feminism is varies from person to person, but the general consensus I see is that feminism is a political position devoted to working for gender equality and getting rid of sexism. Since this is a girl guild, I'm curious what people's thoughts on the subject are. Do you consider yourself a feminist? Are there any feminist issues who feel especially strongly about (or that you completely disagree with)? Do you feel feminism is still needed in this day and age? Anything else you want to discuss regarding the topic?

There is really a scale of feminism. At the moderate end, you just have people who want equal rights more or less, at the extreme in, you have someone who demands society repay women for being back row citizens for millennium. I, and almost any other woman rights supporter I know, fall far closer to the former than the latter.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:47 pm
I like women having right, and getting equal pay and such, but I don't like when people go wayyyyy over board.

Especially when they're like "Oh, the principles are usually men because they're males!" I laugh at that. I have a female principle and have for most of my school life. Notice how MOST teachers are female. (or at least they are here.)

Now, what I can't stand is when they go on and on about dress codes. I plan to wear a tux to my prom. Why? I'm going with a girl, and she doesn't want a tux. Otherwise, I'd get a dress. Likewise, we'll probably switch and I wear a dress to my senior (or junior.)  

Azusanga

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:42 pm
Ezer Tornado
User Image
I've always had mixed feelings about it.
On one hand, I do agree with most of what feminism stands for, like equal treatment and getting rid of sexist ideas/points of view.
But on the other hand I fear what feminism might bring on. I think men should be men and women should be women. What I mean by that is...I think a man should still be able to look at a woman for what she is: a woman; the fairer sex.
I'm not saying feminism wants to get rid of women being women and such, but...
I notice that these days men either don't or don't have a chance to be "chivalrous" to women. A lot of the time, a woman will get angry if a guy tries to defend her or if he tries to help her. I myself have always admired that men (SOME men) want to protect their women, or a woman. Mind you, I'm not saying women are incapable of protecting themselves, I'm just talking about the general idea that a man has toward a woman.

This might not make much sense...? sweatdrop

i'm doing a paper on the women's rights movement throughout time and there was a period of time not too long ago when if a man tried to open a door for a woman, she would get mad. they thought like "i can open my own doors!"

i personally like chivalry, since it's pretty rare these days.
i do think that each gender should be equal in some ways,
but i agree with you that men are men and women are women  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:21 pm
AThousandLullabies
i'm doing a paper on the women's rights movement throughout time and there was a period of time not too long ago when if a man tried to open a door for a woman, she would get mad. they thought like "i can open my own doors!"

i personally like chivalry, since it's pretty rare these days.
i do think that each gender should be equal in some ways,
but i agree with you that men are men and women are women

The thing with chivalry is that a lot of it should just be common courtesy extended toward people in general. You should hold the door for people, regardless of gender, because it's a nice thing to do. If you only hold the door for that hot girl that you want an excuse to talk to, you come across as extremely rude.

As far as chivalry in a relationship, it varies with everyone. If someone likes it when their significant other holds the door for them, then more power to them. If it makes them feel weird, then their significant other should respect that.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:58 pm
Absolutely not a feminist. I don't think it goes far enough.

In the 70's feminism was a new idea. It is no longer a new idea. We no longer need to point out that girls can do anything that boys can. This has been accepted by our society. We no longer need to demand more rights. Legally we have enough rights, maybe even more than men do.

Feminists seem to see the need to point out that women are being oppressed all the time. In the past this was part of the solution, because people didn't realize women were being oppressed. But now, this is part of the problem. Women have been empowered. A women can do anything she wants to now. But instead of doing it, she complains that she is being oppressed. This gains her no respect.

Stop talking about feminism. Start doing something that you love and do it well, so that people will respect you. That is how we are going to stop sexism in this country.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:04 pm
Girls:
IN AMERICA WOMEN HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS

It is illegal to discriminate against a women in just about any way. Women have maternity leave so that their careers will not be jeopardized if they want to become mothers. Women have rights to child custody after a divorce. If they do, the husband must pay them child support.

And, women cannot be drafted. Men can.

WE NO LONGER NEED TO GET WORKED UP ABOUT EQUAL RIGHTS. WE HAVE THEM.  

Kaiyle Brightblade

pidgezero_one

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:08 pm
I consider myself a feminist in that I believe in equal access to opportunity.

I think what I feel the most strongly about (besides hot-button issues like abortion), is how women are often misguided to believe that laws forbidding overt sexism means that sexism and male privilege (and sometimes female privilege) no longer exist. Also I try to set people straight when they outright reject the idea that feminism isn't about female supremacy, but there's only so far you can push a person who just wants to sit on their a**.

I also really don't like when people handle the feminism issue with kiddy gloves by implying things like "women are equal in the western world because they aren't equal in the developing world". The notion of "equal enough" is illogical and unacceptable.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:55 pm
I hate feminists. I'm not saying I agree with sexism, but feminists piss me off. At least, the over-the-top ones. People who are 'well, I guess I'm a feminist' don't bother me. It's those RETARDED ones I want to slap around. I opened to the very back on my math book one day, and saw someone wrote in it.
"A liar only hurts himself."
WELL. He had a response from some feminist.
"Why's it have have to be a he!? Write themself, you sexist!"
SO. I wrote.
"Good job, you have a vag. Get over it."

Personally, I hate any ism. Sexism, feminism, racism, ageism..UGH.

Fatgirl and Robin

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:06 pm
Momo The Strange
I hate feminists. I'm not saying I agree with sexism, but feminists piss me off. At least, the over-the-top ones. People who are 'well, I guess I'm a feminist' don't bother me. It's those RETARDED ones I want to slap around. I opened to the very back on my math book one day, and saw someone wrote in it.
SO. I wrote.

I'm definetly with you.

Proper grammar dictates that only "he' or 'she' is correct for one person. 'They' means more than one person. When you write a sentence like that, you just have to choose if your subject is going to be male or female. Your choice does not make you sexist against the gender you did not choose.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:13 pm
I'm not really a "feminist". I am a humanist.

Honestly I hate feminisim and women always complaining about not being treated as equals when in all honesty a lot of women don't truly want to be treated as equals.

It's like "I want to be treated the same as a man" then something goes wrong and it's like "treat me special because I have boobs!". It becomes a double standard. Because when you don't treat us special after wanting to be equal, men typically get labeled as "sexist".

I'll admit there are sexist men out there, and even sexist women (like myself, I am a misogynist and proud of it).
But, I really think it should be equal pay for equal work--nothing to do with gender. If you work harder, you get more money...if you don't less.

I personally, want to be treated special because I have boobs. Of course this leaves me with incredibly high expectations in men--which often leads to misandry as well.  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

u nd i

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:16 pm
I agree 100% with Kaiyle Brightblade and Momo The Strange.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:05 pm
Kaiyle Brightblade
Momo The Strange
SO. I wrote.

I'm definetly with you.

Proper grammar dictates that only "he' or 'she' is correct for one person. 'They' means more than one person. When you write a sentence like that, you just have to choose if your subject is going to be male or female. Your choice does not make you sexist against the gender you did not choose.

'They' can be used as a singular noun. =/

That said, English really needs gender-neutral pronouns. Talking about someone without identifying their gender (it's a spoiler, their gender is never given, the character doesn't have a gender or is a hermaphrodite, etc.) is possible, but it generally ends up sounding unnatural or cold.
/tangent  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:51 am
Zephyrkitty
Kaiyle Brightblade
Momo The Strange
SO. I wrote.

I'm definetly with you.

'They' can be used as a singular noun. =/

That said, English really needs gender-neutral pronouns. Talking about someone without identifying their gender (it's a spoiler, their gender is never given, the character doesn't have a gender or is a hermaphrodite, etc.) is possible, but it generally ends up sounding unnatural or cold.
/tangent
Is that so? Because I learned that it was not. But I'm no expert. I apologize if what I said was wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:03 pm
I don't get feminism...

I agree with Sojourner Truth. I'm a woman, damn it, drop your coat on a puddle for me.

Though, Truth was a feminist different from the pack. She wanted to be assisted, instead of... treated like a man, basically.

"Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say."

So feminists who are all "eff you, you saved me, stupid man" can suck my tit. (Suck my tit: said by MORD! :3)  

Lieutenant Shotgun

Inamax

Hygienic Bloodsucker

7,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 pm
I'm feminist.. but not over the top.
The only thing I really want is equality in terms of pay and work relationships. Because in clearly professional view I don't think gender should have the last word!
But I do love when men try to defend and do nice things to women.. it makes them so cute <3 I like the whole courting and stuff!  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff