Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Fight Club... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

word filter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm
Lolicat von Doom
word filter
Great movie I saw it just now they psycho

Are they? I would argue that no, they're not entirely. There's something very instinctive about their actions, or rather, their re-actions to the modern world.

yea...ill give u an example, remember when they crashed the car in the rain? they laughed and stuff and taylor started laughin when the owner of the bar kicked his a** thats what i mean by psychos no fear and laugh at pain  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:45 pm
word filter
Lolicat von Doom
word filter

Are they? I would argue that no, they're not entirely. There's something very instinctive about their actions, or rather, their re-actions to the modern world.

yea...ill give u an example, remember when they crashed the car in the rain? they laughed and stuff and taylor started laughin when the owner of the bar kicked his a** thats what i mean by psychos no fear and laugh at pain

I'm pretty sure those are normal psychological reactions within conditions of extreme stress... Also, the movie is meant to be more than voyeurism on the mentally ill, I'm pretty sure.  

loIitoads

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:32 am
Lolicat von Doom
sankapoo
RedWhiteBlack
Lolicat von Doom
RedWhiteBlack
I thought it was alright. Not the most epic piece of film made in the 90s (that goes to Pulp Fiction), but a good film nonetheless.

I'll back this up, although I'm not sure Pulp Fiction is my favourite '90s movie. I prefered the novel when it came to this film, as its uncompromising claustrophobia within the character's mind(s) really came to the fore, whereas the film felt a little too clear cut and unambiguous for me.

I've never read the novel, but in my experience, it is difficult for any filmmaker to present ambiguity on the screen. Even if the film is slick, and incredibly well made, that doesn't excuse the fact that the revelation near the end of the film is totally obvious, and was from the very beginning.

(Also, I distinguish "favorite" and "best" film of the 90s as two categories. I believe that "Pulp Fiction" was the best, while "American Beauty" is probably my favorite.)

And see I honestly didn't care for Pulp Fiction all that much. I don't know why, there was just something about it that I found off putting. But American Beauty is a different story. That movie was absolutely mind blowing amazing!

I adore Pulp Fiction for the amount of great scenes it has contributed to cinema history, and the non-linear story arcs, but it's by no means Tarantino's best.

Not Tarantino's best, you say? I hope you give that crown to Kill Bill if you're not giving it to Pulp Fiction.

Also, on the topic of Fight Club, I do agree that this is a film that is about more than, as you say, voyeurism on the mentally ill. The evidence of Tyler's psychological instability is just too little to make a substantial argument that they're insane. Maybe a little extreme, but far from insane. Because they laugh at pain, it could be suggested that they gain some sort of pleasure, and could have a sexual fetish for pain (much like Cronenberg's Crash [1996]). I'd feel much more confident arguing that pleasure from pain is more sexual than psychological.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 am
Lolicat von Doom
word filter
Lolicat von Doom
word filter

I'm pretty sure those are normal psychological reactions within conditions of extreme stress... Also, the movie is meant to be more than voyeurism on the mentally ill, I'm pretty sure.

i was just saying... and they know mahyem is kinda psycho and they love it and keep doing it  

word filter

loIitoads

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:39 am
RedWhiteBlack
Lolicat von Doom
sankapoo
RedWhiteBlack
Lolicat von Doom
RedWhiteBlack
I thought it was alright. Not the most epic piece of film made in the 90s (that goes to Pulp Fiction), but a good film nonetheless.

I'll back this up, although I'm not sure Pulp Fiction is my favourite '90s movie. I prefered the novel when it came to this film, as its uncompromising claustrophobia within the character's mind(s) really came to the fore, whereas the film felt a little too clear cut and unambiguous for me.

I've never read the novel, but in my experience, it is difficult for any filmmaker to present ambiguity on the screen. Even if the film is slick, and incredibly well made, that doesn't excuse the fact that the revelation near the end of the film is totally obvious, and was from the very beginning.

(Also, I distinguish "favorite" and "best" film of the 90s as two categories. I believe that "Pulp Fiction" was the best, while "American Beauty" is probably my favorite.)

And see I honestly didn't care for Pulp Fiction all that much. I don't know why, there was just something about it that I found off putting. But American Beauty is a different story. That movie was absolutely mind blowing amazing!

I adore Pulp Fiction for the amount of great scenes it has contributed to cinema history, and the non-linear story arcs, but it's by no means Tarantino's best.

Not Tarantino's best, you say? I hope you give that crown to Kill Bill if you're not giving it to Pulp Fiction.

Also, on the topic of Fight Club, I do agree that this is a film that is about more than, as you say, voyeurism on the mentally ill. The evidence of Tyler's psychological instability is just too little to make a substantial argument that they're insane. Maybe a little extreme, but far from insane. Because they laugh at pain, it could be suggested that they gain some sort of pleasure, and could have a sexual fetish for pain (much like Cronenberg's Crash [1996]). I'd feel much more confident arguing that pleasure from pain is more sexual than psychological.

Actually my personal favourite Tarantino is Jackie Brown because I adore old blaxploitation films, plus I felt the dialogue was better in it, and it didn't rely quite so much on explosive gun shots. Kill Bill I was ok, but the second was totally bogged down feeling.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 pm
absolutezerocel
well guys i must admit that Fight Club is my favorite movie of all time, although the book was really good, i think this is one of the time where i have seen a movie be better than the book...anyways i just want to hear what you guys had to say about it

I agree with you there. I liked the movie better then the book. I'm just hoping they didn't massacre Choke.  

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Thunderous Skies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:28 pm
What's great about Fight Club is that, by design, it can't be a disposable movie. You need to watch it at least twice; once without knowledge of the twist, and again after knowing the twist. Even then you won't have spotted all the clues.

I see new things every time I watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 pm
Thunderous Skies
What's great about Fight Club is that, by design, it can't be a disposable movie. You need to watch it at least twice; once without knowledge of the twist, and again after knowing the twist. Even then you won't have spotted all the clues.

That doesn't work if you have read the novel though. Really, it's not disposable because it is a good film, not because of the strength of the plot alone, but because of the script-writing, the cinematography...  

loIitoads

Thunderous Skies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm
Lolicat von Doom
Thunderous Skies

That doesn't work if you have read the novel though. Really, it's not disposable because it is a good film, not because of the strength of the plot alone, but because of the script-writing, the cinematography...

Well by disposable I didn't mean that one would only ever watch it once anyway - of course it would hold its own based on script, cinematography and so forth. I just meant that it REQUIRES more than one viewing; one viewing only gives you half the movie.

(Of course, if you'd already read the novel there'd be no surprise to wait for. I haven't, unfortunately.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:01 am
Thunderous Skies
Lolicat von Doom
Thunderous Skies

Well by disposable I didn't mean that one would only ever watch it once anyway - of course it would hold its own based on script, cinematography and so forth. I just meant that it REQUIRES more than one viewing; one viewing only gives you half the movie.

(Of course, if you'd already read the novel there'd be no surprise to wait for. I haven't, unfortunately.)

I highly recommend reading the novel, even if you have seen the film. I adore it, the writing is so energetic, frantic.  

loIitoads

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 am
A lot of the dialogue Tyler has in the movie was actually spoken by other space monkeys in the novel. I wish they would have had the original scene were the guy meets Tyler for the first time.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:45 am
I REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE IT NOT WAT I USUAL WATCH BUT T WAS GOOD I LOVED IT  

QUEEN JENJI

JuilianFai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:48 pm
I ********' love this movie!
I saw it the first time when I was 14, and I didn't understand it at all, I just knew it was awesome so I bought the DVD. YEARS LATER I decided to watch it again because all my other movies were tired, I popped it in and remembered why I bought it in the first place. I'm like...the classic damsel in distress type [I always carry unicorn print bandaids with me for christ's sake!!] but everytime I see this movie I just want to go get in a fight with someone and get good and bloody!! Omf this is a brilliant movie! I know its based on a novel and I've never gotten around to picking it up but I know I need to!!
My favorite lines are, "you're like dr jekell and mr jackass" and "you know that sign out front that say's Lou's Tavern? Well I'm ********' Lou" Those lines make me giggle something fierce!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:29 am
its a damn good movie  

JDBReaper

6,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100

MrsLovett30

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:02 pm
I think that Fight Club is amazing. I love movies that have a huge twist (like Memento). I also love the fact that Helena Bonham Carter is in it... heart but anyway! haha I love how metophorical it is, and it is a film I can really appreciate.

I think it is funny because my boyfriend's parents didn't understand the movie at all gonk They say that it is confusing and has no plot. They didn't even get the major twist of the film or what the film's purpose really was. I just think that's funny because everyone else who talks about Fight Club loves it razz  
T3h Movie World

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff