13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 37

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:28 pm
I was also a former fast food supervisor. Laws vary by state - whether or not they are upheld varies by owner. biggrin

I have actually seen earrings fall into food - as well as removable finger nails (which as far as I know aren't allowed anywhere, but my particular owner didn't really care).  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:48 am
Wow! At our Subway the owner's wife sports a big diamond on the side of her nose, & if I recall correctly, her ears are pierced at least double in each ear!

As to whether or not I'd remove my piercings for a minimum wage job, I guess it would depend on how badly I needed the job. Piercings aren't 'banned' where I work, however we are asked to consider safety. I work in juvenile detention where the possibility (however slight) exists that you could be involved in something physical---either trying to break it up, or being attacked. That said, I keep my earrings (only pierced once, each ear) to very short dangle or posts, & since I have long hair, it's clipped up most of the time.

Ruby2zday

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:13 pm
The funny thing is - they're revamping the policy at the telcom company that I work for.

Probably all non-standard piercings will be disallowed. sweatdrop

I think I would do it for $10/hour. And benefits. That would be acceptable.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm
Never had the same problem with piercings but I did have a similer problem when I worked at burger king when it came to my hair. (Is male and has long hair).
A) I didn't cut my hair
B) As long as the peircing dosn't actually have a direct law or company policy (not single manager policy) prohibiting it, I wouldn't remove it. Unless the job prospects are horrible and being fired seems the most likely result for my actions or the lack of. But, that's just me.  

Kamui_kusinagi

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 pm
I happen to adore guys with long hair, so I do notice when jobs have a policy with long haired guys.

Actually, I cry a little inside when each guy complies. ^_^

Most of the places I've worked have had hair length policies. I've worked everything from food service to field work to production to office jobs.

Thanks for reminding me about this sad, sad thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:16 am
The only way my hair will be cut is for the initial interview...afterwards I normally grow it back out. I never saw a problem with it, or piercing or tattoos unless some kind of saftey or health problem was extremely evident. (Ruby's job per say, where things could get violent, never had an earring pulled out before, but can imagine it would really hurt).

Anyway, Most people don't bother with me with these issues anymore, 'cause the moment they try to say something, I bring up the idea of discrimination. I never act on it, but it shuts them up pretty quickly. (Is very observant, and will use what others in the same work place are doing to my advantage).  

Kamui_kusinagi

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:13 pm
That is an entirely valid point.

And so many people do cry discrimination for things that aren't necessarily discrimination - but that works for them.

I say if the shoe fits, wear it. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:11 pm
I work in a call center right now and my bosses don't care. I asked my manager if there will be any problems if I get my lip pierced and she said as long as I can talk it's fine, so I got my lip pierced in the middle. At first it was kind of hard talking cause my lip swelled a little (and I was mercilessly teased about that by a co-worker) but then it went back down and it was all good.

... until I kept getting hit in the lip either playfully or by mistake and it was constantly scrapped against my gums, making it bleed constantly. It got to the point where I couldn't take all the blood I spit out on the sink and my receding gum line in my front lower teeth, that I had it removed, and I was so damn sad... I loved the darn thing.

Now I'm gonna get the sides of my lips pierced. The side piercings won't reach my gums, so no scraping. Yay!  

dantesdemise

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:42 pm
I personally enjoyed having the side of my lip pierced. I also worked a call center job when I got it done. I didn't have much of a problem talking while it was healing, so that was good. I did have some issues kissing for awhile - it was just awkward.

But I really liked that one. I had something to chew on when I was nervous.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:23 pm
Personally I dont think that thats really all that fair , and no esspecially not for subway. But I do work in another sanwich shop and I think I can understand part of the managers veiwpoint. Theres a guy I work with who has the stretched ears , and is still stretching them . So one day after stretching them , he cant take them out so the manager says ok , just cover it witha band aid. He didnt take them out untill the owner got on him, and then he was fired a short time latter for haing been found the be making food with no hair covering and with his boxers viable to the public.
They might be thinking that one thing lead to another , but still I wounldt do it for subway. They arent that great.  

I-onishi

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:32 am
I have 00g's in my ears and I also have my monroe done. I got it done for my twenty-first birthday, when I was in Chicago. I came back to work and found that they were being more strick about peircings, which ment no facial piercings. They said I had to take it out and I told them I couldn't. I haven't taken it out once since that time, no retainer, no noting and they've just gone along with it. They know that me being there is more important than firing me over one silly peircing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 pm
When it comes to piercings, it depends on a two things.

One is professionalism. For example, if you're working as staff at a really classy restaurant, having more piercings than the usual ear piercing probably isn't going to fit with the image the restaurant wants to portray. So where image is a concern, it's understandable that they would want you to take out piercings. But then again, if you wanted the piercing bad enough to get it, would you really want to work at the type of place that makes you remove them?

Second is safety. While simple small stud earrings shouldn't be a problem in most work places, any earrings or other jewelry that dangles CAN be a hazard, and hook style earrings do fall out. So, it's understandable why a manager wouldn't want someone to wear those things.

As for the hair thing, I think guys should be able to have long hair just like girls, with the same rules applied to both sexes (usually involves keeping it clean and tying it back/wearing a hairnet). Done properly, a guy with long hair CAN look professional (and very attractive wink ).  

oO Momma T Oo

Aged Explorer

5,400 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Voter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

dahliarose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:01 pm
i work at a resturant and at our establishment, facial piercings are a no-no.
so are excessive earrings, bracelets, rings, and beards.

that's just the way it is. my coworkers comply and people are told when they are hired.

it's not a problem for me; i don't have any facial piercings.
personally, i find them a turn off. i'm not trying to offend anyone, i just don't like them.
in fact, my husband wanted to pierce his eyebrow for the longest time, and i wouldn't let him. he got even with me though.
he won't let me get anymore tattoos. crying  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 am
ive had to take my piercings out when i went to work and it didnt bother me a lot. i just felt naked w/o my labret in. so yea even if its minimum wage moneys is moneys and i needed the moneys  

freakymaggotchick

saxygal41

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 pm
Truly a rant about piercings:
I don't have a problem with anyone piercing themselves.
Here is the scenario: My brother was married and they had 3 children then they got a divorce. My ex-sil calls me at times to complain that she can't get a job because "who can afford childcare for 2 of the 3 kiddos"( oldest was already in school). My brother at the time could afford less than the minimum for child support but payed every month on time, none the less. I was working the childcare field at the time and knew that some childcare facilities would give employees a discount on their personal children's fees. Sil lives with her mother and pays no bills out every month. My answer from sil, " I don't want to work there, I would have to take all my piercings." What's a couple of hundred bucks compared to taking true resposibility for your childen? Thanks needed to vent/rant.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff