Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Star Trek: love it or hate it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How did you like the new Star Trek Movie?
  Live long and prosper baby!
  I can't believe that did that! That's not Star Trek!
  Dude, it's just a movie get over it.
  I've seen better Trek movies
  Did we see the same movie, because I just drooled over the ships, and weapons.
  None of the above.
  Can't decide.
  Gold, gold, just give me gold!
View Results

Black-Ninja01

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:14 am
loved it  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 am
Quixotic Faye
I thought it was entertaining and a great reboot to the franchise. I'm a little confused about how Nero's ship and Spock prime went into the past through a singularity.

I'm not sure about that either, I thought it was more like they went through a black hole, which some scientist believe, if you survive you'd end up in another dimension.

Jadeling

Jadeling

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:44 pm
Anyone else see the tribble in the ice planet or the reference to Enterprise?  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:57 pm
xLongIis4loversx
Black-Ninja01
Damn that movie was great. It is one of those movie that you can watch over and over again. I think that the movie was great. I had great action, mystery and suspense lurking at every corner. I hope that it is one of many more star trek movie (From the Same Director).

yeah J.J. Abrams is a great director! He's the guy behind all those shows like Lost and Fringe. (the ones with the "bad robot" little ad after the show)

I think that this will be another Batman Begins. It revives the series, making it less...(trekkies forgive me) cheesy. It's like how Superman Returns went wrong. Starting from the beginning creates more of a connection and brings in more viewers who didn't have to be fans of the show to begin with. Like, in Batman Begins, it starts from how he became Batman. You get more of a connection instead of just being expected to know everything because he's batman.
I don't know. It makes sense in my head, though.

Hopefully it'll be more like the Batman franchise and less like the Spiderman or X Men ones. By this, I mean get better with every sequel instead of lose momentum.

It felt like to much of a backdoor pilot to me, rather than an actual feature film, which is probably where these ideas of a new series are coming from. However, a remake of Kirk's original mission would be entirely pointless. I mean, you make reference here to the show's being 'cheesy', but consider Deep Space Nine, The Next Generation, even Enterprise. All of these divorced themselves somewhat from the original's cheese factor, and brought in a lot of interest from non-Trekkie markets. I hardly think that Star Trek was languishing in the same place as was the Batman film franchise.
I can't comment on Superman Returns, but I don't have much hope as I'm about to approach it. The only story that needs done in the Superman films is the death of Superman, it is the only brave and decisive way I can see of ressurecting what many see as an overpowered hero.

As for the use of the term 'singularity,' I think it's unclear enough a term to use. I mean, in that time period, their use might very well mean 'temporal singularity,' and it's not as if there isn't a precedent in the Star Trek continuity anyway.  

loIitoads

x--stevee--x

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:53 am
i loved it!!!! it was so amazing! and pretty sure i'm in love with spock now!  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm
I finally got to see the movie last night and it was AWESOME! I loved it! I loved the humor in it, just like the original cast from the show! The pace of the movie was perfect, it didn't seem like 2 hours at all. In fact, I was wanting more! I will definetly go and see it again! Ha! The great thing is my son works at the theater, so I can see it for free over and over! whee  

Atomic Pixie7

Jadeling

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:00 am
x--stevee--x

You've just now realized how awesome Spock is? I think I've been in love with the pointy-ear alien years.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am
Jadeling
x--stevee--x

You've just now realized how awesome Spock is? I think I've been in love with the pointy-ear alien years.

well he was always my favorite when i used to watch the original with my dad and stuff, but i love him even more now!!  

x--stevee--x

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 pm
I liked this film. I think it lacks much of the emotional weight of found in the truly great films, but, as a film working within the Hollywood system, I find that it works. The film rarely makes a misstep, with the acting, cinematography, and direction being top-notch. I've never been a big fan of the time travel concept within films. However, I think Star Trek uses it brilliantly, even if it does feel, at times, to be nothing more than a gimmick to justify the changes to the Trek universe, and to work in a (brilliant) cameo from Leonard Nemoy.

But, like Roger Ebert said (and I'm paraphrasing), while this film is slick and fun, it lacks the emotional gravitas of the great films. However, this film should act as the gateway to the great Star Trek film that we've been waiting for.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:22 am
I particularly loved that the transition between human and vulcan for Spock were as well done as in the old series. There was no hesitancy and the effect was true to the original.

And the science with a dash of poetry was amazing ^^ (I'm a nerd I know it)

...lastly...Simon Pegg was amazing!!  

irishcocoa

Pogs410

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm
I have yet to see it but it looks very well done. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:14 pm
SPOCKS EARS. <3

i liked teh movie. ^^

iMindless Cookie

Dapper Shopper

JInnYenn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:44 am
I liked the movie I thought it was good. To me it seemed more like an alternate universe idea enabling the writers/directors to come up with new and better ideas without messing with the original Star trek universe.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:45 pm
that was an awesome movie and I'm not even that big of a Star Trek Fan. I only watched a few episodes of Voyager and that's about it, it was pretty good from what I saw though  

Metallithrasha

Shameless Heckler

14,225 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Crack Shot 50

General Lea

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 pm
I thought it was quite good although it was quite long, much like The Dark Knight was. But I didn't mind, because it flowed so well. I rarely felt that the Enterprise crew was in imminent danger from start to finish though.  
T3h Movie World

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff