Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

I Ceymore Ratz
Crew

Revered Prophet

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:25 am
User Image
Just looking in to see if anyone else had something of interest to say. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:21 am
Umberella
"Doctor Whoooooooo-ooo!
Doc-tor Who!
Doctor Whoooooooo-ooo!"

I'm singing the song by the Timelords (aka The Jams).

My two year old loves Doctor who. And he sings that song more times a day than I can begin to tell you. He just sings "Doctor Whooooo-ooo... HEY!" over and over and over...

While my husbadn and I are familliar with the whole of Doctor who, my two year old is only familliar with the new (Eccleston) episodes. Since we are in the US, we had to downolad the episodes from the internet. The bad thing is that I do not think they are comming to PBS. Why give them away for free when they can get money for them? More likely they will come to the BBC cable chanel. The US got screwed on those Doctor Who episodes, and I'm pretty sure that they're getting released here last. The only people in the USA who could get them right away were the ones close enough to the border to be able to tune into Canadian TV chanels.

I liked the newest ones. Eccleston made a great doctor. And while the episodes did have alot to do with Rose, they also had alot to do with The Doctor. He is now the last of the Time Lords. It was very interesting to see the reasons why unfold, and to watch how he dealt with it all. Had to get used to a couple of things, like the way the inside of the tardis looks etc. But none of that really spoiled the episodes. In short, I ended up very happy with the whole thing.  

Velouria Dragoon

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:59 am
Oh MAN. I have got to get these DVD burns WORKING.
Stupid compression program!

And... I forgot that Rowan Atkinson (is that how you spell it? I'm not lookin' it up) played the Doctor alongside Johnathan Price's Master for, what was it... Comedy Releif or Comedy Aide or something, right?

Who'd they have playing the female incarnation in that gag?

PS. One more thing. Anyone know if there was ever an anime or manga Doctor?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:22 pm
I live in WA... and we do get one of the Canadian Channels, though I don't think they show the Doctor on it... sweatdrop  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Velouria Dragoon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:36 am
Lil Brat
I live in WA... and we do get one of the Canadian Channels, though I don't think they show the Doctor on it... sweatdrop
Well, nobody is showing the new episodes right now. the BBC has a much shorter season than we have in the US. But it was my understanding that they aired in canada on whatever chanel that would be... I could have been misinformed on that, I suppose. I never really double checked.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:40 pm
VelouriaDS

I liked the newest ones. Eccleston made a great doctor. And while the episodes did have alot to do with Rose, they also had alot to do with The Doctor. He is now the last of the Time Lords. It was very interesting to see the reasons why unfold, and to watch how he dealt with it all. Had to get used to a couple of things, like the way the inside of the tardis looks etc. But none of that really spoiled the episodes. In short, I ended up very happy with the whole thing.

Yep, my friend keeps dropping hints about how they've made the Dr grow up and be responsible for his actions and "learn hard lessons" she says it gives the show a bit more depth (and I thought it was all about the monsters! rolleyes ). She's really raved about it. Can't wait to see for myself.  

Catira Norr

Nuala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:42 am
Harbone
Oh MAN. I have got to get these DVD burns WORKING.
Stupid compression program!

And... I forgot that Rowan Atkinson (is that how you spell it? I'm not lookin' it up) played the Doctor alongside Johnathan Price's Master for, what was it... Comedy Releif or Comedy Aide or something, right?

Comic Relief. smile

Quote:
Who'd they have playing the female incarnation in that gag?

Joanna Lumley.

Quote:
PS. One more thing. Anyone know if there was ever an anime or manga Doctor?

Not to the best of my knowledge. Like Harry Potter manga, that's the realm of doujinshis.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:19 pm
Well, thanks for the info, Nuala.

I've had a look around the fanfic-type sites I know and haven't found a Dr. Who Doujinshi spread (thank goodness, in a way), but I did find something called Dr. Frog which I don't think is appropriate for this forum.  

Harbone
Crew

Lachesia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:11 am
Ah, Dr. Who. Can't stand it, not because of any logical reason, but because when I was probably around five or six, I saw one episode that really freaked me out. It had huge radioactive looking spiders with red eyes that bit someone and she turned into the Swamp Thing. Of course, that's how I remember the plot. Gave me nightmares for a year PLUS contributed to my arachniphobia. Whee!
Couldn't bring myself to actually watch it after that. Even now, the first strains of the opening song give me the wiggins. It's rather sad, because I have friends who love it, and it's so cheesy it really shouldn't be relegated to the ranks of "stuff I won't watch". But that's how it goes, I guess.

You may all laugh at me now. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:24 pm
Hey, if it makes you feel any better, Sarah Jane Smith (the girl who got bit) was saved by the Doctor. She ended up no worse for the wear.

I didn't discover Doctor Who until I was in the 8 or 9th grade, but if I were to have seen it when I was a little kid, I'm sure it would have frightened me too. (in other words, no laughing here.)  

Velouria Dragoon

Umberella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:04 pm
I like Doctor Who. I have to laugh because sometimes I imagine someone flipping through tv channels and stopping at a scene where Daleks are having a conversation.
I mean, a scene inside a Dalek ship where Daleks are just mechanically talking to other Daleks for a few minutes.
I can't imagine anyone who's never heard of Doctor Who sitting through that!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:22 am
Hey. It's pretty cool to find out that Dr. Who wigs some people out!
I mean, is kind of a monster show, after all.

I grew up thinking of it as a sci fi show, which is kind of like HP Lovecraft thought of his writings. So I guess the two genres dovetail nicely.  

Harbone
Crew

Lachesia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 am
VelouriaDS
Hey, if it makes you feel any better, Sarah Jane Smith (the girl who got bit) was saved by the Doctor. She ended up no worse for the wear.

She did? Dammit! I mean, yay! If only I hadn't covered my eyes for the last bit, I wouldn't have arachniphobia. Well, okay, I probably would. Those spiders were awful. I wonder if it would have changed how I reacted if I'd known she was okay. Huh.

The fact that you could identify the exact episode from my 25 year old skewed nightmare memories is really impressive, however. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:29 am
By the way, Harbone, speaking of obscure old TV shows...how many people have actually picked up on the fact that your sig is from The Prisoner? xd  

Lachesia

Marina_j2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:23 am
I love Dr. Who. I'm lucky to live in Alabama in that they circled the program for years. The Peterson ones are the first ones I saw. It ran through to about half way through Colin Baker and then cycled back to "Unearthy Child." By the time they reached the end of what they had again, there were Sylvester McCoy episodes. I've seen the newest season too. It takes a little time to grow on you, but it's pretty good. It does have a slightly different feel than the older eps though. (Also I suggest watching Shawn of the Dead [or however it's spelled] for the cameos.)

Try using z-player (zoom player?). It has a friendly download system for codex.  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff