In a movie I hate, hate, hate bad acting, lifeless writing, and cliches. I can handle one bad actor, but more than one and I'm out of the theater. When we watched the Great Gatsby in my English class, I wanted to scream. Everyone except Robert Redford was HORRENDOUS, especially Mia Farrow. She has a serious time problem because she would underact when she's supposed to be dramatic and she would overact when she's supposed to be calm. The girl can't act!
Some movies I can handle only because of the strength of the acting. Age of Innocence was very slow and the plot was all right, but the always phenomenal Daniel Day Lewis, Winona Rider, and Michelle Phiffer are so good in it that I was able to get through it.
Other movies have modest acting, but the writing is excellent. A good example is Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (catches breath) The Lives of Others. The story is totally original and brilliantly written. Sebastian Koch and Martina Gedeck are fine, but Ulrich Muhe gives a silent but terrific performance.
To put it simply, if a movie is badly written, sattled with cliches, and terrible acting, I'm out!