Cooking for allergies Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:15 pm
No, not really bad. It's an association thing.

One of my science teachers from junior high would demonstrate the effects of fermentation using yeast in class every year. He can no longer stand the smell of freshly baked bread. Same idea.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:17 pm
Ah...I have the same thing with pickles, and pickling agents...(I live next door to a funeral home if that doesn't give away the aversion).  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

Seawicket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:51 pm
I'm allergic to Lobster.
Now I personally have never tried it.

But what makes it inconvenient is the
fact that if I have to get a CT scan I have
to be medicated before hand.

See, when you get a scan they have to give
you iodine. Well, lobsters have iodine in them.
Yeah... I'm sure you can see the inconvenience there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm
iCrickle
I'm allergic to Lobster.
Now I personally have never tried it.

But what makes it inconvenient is the
fact that if I have to get a CT scan I have
to be medicated before hand.

See, when you get a scan they have to give
you iodine. Well, lobsters have iodine in them.
Yeah... I'm sure you can see the inconvenience there.

So is it the iodine that you are allergic to, or is the problem that the iodine can be manufactured from a lobster-ish source?

Do you have to get a lot of CT scans?  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Seawicket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 am
What's weird is I just found out from my mother that the Iodized salt is different. So I can eat that.
I'm allergic to lobster, so I guess it's just that it's from that. IDK much about it. Lol.
And no, I don't have to get many CT scans, thankfully.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm
The dreaded food allergies. I have so many, but only 2 major ones T-T

*Gluten- diagnosed at least 4 years ago. It was tricky to stay away from it for the first 2 years.. but now I'm used to it. I usually just stay away from all baked goods now, but I miss it >< If I eat some, I'll be sick for.. x.x

*Peanuts/nuts- lifelong allergy. I'm used to staying away from this, but I really hate those "may contain peanuts/nuts" allergy warnings. They are everywhere! I shouldn't but I usually take the risk and eat it. 9/10 times I'm safe from a trip to the hospital, and possibly something worse >.>

I've also got a "moderate" allergy to sesame. Not as serious as those two up there, but can be kinda bad if I ingest sesame oil. Last time it was hidden in some seafood and I scared the crap out of my dad and grandparents at the restaurant. ><''

Got minor allergies to various fruits too..

Scarlet Foxkit

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 pm
Scarlet Foxkit
The dreaded food allergies. I have so many, but only 2 major ones T-T

*Gluten- diagnosed at least 4 years ago. It was tricky to stay away from it for the first 2 years.. but now I'm used to it. I usually just stay away from all baked goods now, but I miss it >< If I eat some, I'll be sick for.. x.x

*Peanuts/nuts- lifelong allergy. I'm used to staying away from this, but I really hate those "may contain peanuts/nuts" allergy warnings. They are everywhere! I shouldn't but I usually take the risk and eat it. 9/10 times I'm safe from a trip to the hospital, and possibly something worse >.>

I've also got a "moderate" allergy to sesame. Not as serious as those two up there, but can be kinda bad if I ingest sesame oil. Last time it was hidden in some seafood and I scared the crap out of my dad and grandparents at the restaurant. ><''

Got minor allergies to various fruits too..

You actually lived through the process of getting diagnosed with Ciliac? I'm impressed. I know six ciliacs quite well, and only one of them has actually been diagnosed. Everyone else knew that going through the testing would kill them.

Actually, one of the Ciliacs I know had a doctor tell her that she was probably also allergic to rice. She started crying in his office. (As it turned out, the doctor was incorrect about that. Fortunately.)

Do you find that processed allergens give you a worse reaction than in its natural state for all of your allergies, or is it just for the sesame?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:19 pm
Sometimes I think my body reaaaally hates me .____.; just for the things it attacks itself over. Food. And stuff. I mean really.. D;

*gluten :: i'm about 96% sure that I have this. Over a couple of years I've been experiencing the symptoms of intolerance. So I decided it was test-time. [facking hate getting them --I'm not afraid of needles or anything, -I love em in fact --but after about the 3rd bottle of blood withdrawn, my skin goes extremely pale, I get the sweats, I get incredibly weak, and I very nearly pass out.] When I got tested, results came back positive for an IVA deficiency [or something..can't remember the precise name right now] but a negative for gluten. So I was facking confussssed. I looked it up online and various websites said your tests can come back faulty [for celiac] if you have that IVA deficiency I just pointed out. .
so....Whatever. I cut out the wheat products anyway, and over time, the symptoms decreased.
It's been about a year now since I've eliminated the 'badd' products for me. It's been frustrating. Annoying. I.can't.eat.anything type of mindset for a while, because the products I'm allowed are usually way overpriced for me to afford. .Nonetheless, I'm gradually becomming used to this, and the fact that my intolerance symptoms are next to nothing now motivates me to stick with it.

*milk products? -I seriously hope not. But I've been drinking it more often lately, since my ma bought me this puffed rice cereal. But over the last couple of days my body seems to be way more intoxicated on the inside than normal. The toxins are like, trying to escape my skin in the most unattractive ways -_____-; I don't think I want to go into detail because it's. . kinda embarassing. All I know is I definitely don't even want to be seen. . .just want to lock myself in my room with medications [whatever treatments will work] until i'm back to my 'normal' self again.[i'm not trying to come off any drugs btw, so it's not that].
My mum wants to get me tested again, but after so many tests done [i'm almost sick of doctors now -it seems i can never find any answers from them] I'm highly reluctant to try again by travelling four hours out of town [for a decent hospital] just to [typically] get a result back that won't answer my questions [being negative].

I've kept food diaries before. A lot. Yet I could never pinpoint symptoms to match the foods that triggered anything. .

The doctors say I'm normal.
I think they're nuts when I think back on the miserable years in highschool
[running for bathroom trips, calling home sick -a lot, with aches, nausea, and embarrassment that forced me to tears].
When I look at my body now, and think about what's going on in the inside to be causing it to react this way, --yeahaha..I realllly think it's normal.. - 3-

. . Good gawlly, miss molly, I had no idea I rambled and ranted on that much. Needed a bit of venting though. .
My apologies.
:c

Convulsive Gummi Bear

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:32 pm
Convulsive Gummi Bear
Sometimes I think my body reaaaally hates me .____.; just for the things it attacks itself over. Food. And stuff. I mean really.. D;

*gluten :: i'm about 96% sure that I have this. Over a couple of years I've been experiencing the symptoms of intolerance. So I decided it was test-time. [facking hate getting them --I'm not afraid of needles or anything, -I love em in fact --but after about the 3rd bottle of blood withdrawn, my skin goes extremely pale, I get the sweats, I get incredibly weak, and I very nearly pass out.] When I got tested, results came back positive for an IVA deficiency [or something..can't remember the precise name right now] but a negative for gluten. So I was facking confussssed. I looked it up online and various websites said your tests can come back faulty [for celiac] if you have that IVA deficiency I just pointed out. .
so....Whatever. I cut out the wheat products anyway, and over time, the symptoms decreased.
It's been about a year now since I've eliminated the 'badd' products for me. It's been frustrating. Annoying. I.can't.eat.anything type of mindset for a while, because the products I'm allowed are usually way overpriced for me to afford. .Nonetheless, I'm gradually becomming used to this, and the fact that my intolerance symptoms are next to nothing now motivates me to stick with it.

*milk products? -I seriously hope not. But I've been drinking it more often lately, since my ma bought me this puffed rice cereal. But over the last couple of days my body seems to be way more intoxicated on the inside than normal. The toxins are like, trying to escape my skin in the most unattractive ways -_____-; I don't think I want to go into detail because it's. . kinda embarassing. All I know is I definitely don't even want to be seen. . .just want to lock myself in my room with medications [whatever treatments will work] until i'm back to my 'normal' self again.[i'm not trying to come off any drugs btw, so it's not that].
My mum wants to get me tested again, but after so many tests done [i'm almost sick of doctors now -it seems i can never find any answers from them] I'm highly reluctant to try again by travelling four hours out of town [for a decent hospital] just to [typically] get a result back that won't answer my questions [being negative].

I've kept food diaries before. A lot. Yet I could never pinpoint symptoms to match the foods that triggered anything. .

The doctors say I'm normal.
I think they're nuts when I think back on the miserable years in highschool
[running for bathroom trips, calling home sick -a lot, with aches, nausea, and embarrassment that forced me to tears].
When I look at my body now, and think about what's going on in the inside to be causing it to react this way, --yeahaha..I realllly think it's normal.. - 3-

. . Good gawlly, miss molly, I had no idea I rambled and ranted on that much. Needed a bit of venting though. .
My apologies.
:c

And yet I understand exactly what you're saying. I have also had the wheat allergy blood test come back negative on me. (Also diabeties and thyroid.) After each one there's the whole "but if that's not it, what the hell is wrong with me, cause something isn't right" reaction. I have decided that doctors are not helpful.

I have ignored the doctors' judgement calls that I know were right, and now I just avoid wheat. That's how I stay normal.

I've started to go see a naturaupath. She thinks she might be able to build up my tolerance enough so I can eat some wheat again. I'm very optimistic.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:01 pm
I am allergic to all medicines related to penicillin so I was advised to not eat blue cheese. I am also allergic to bananas and some sea foods.  

PixeI Dust

Malevolent Businesswoman

CinnaminRollPuppy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:05 pm
I'm allergic to medicines with penicillin, like the poster above.
I think I'm allergic to pop//soda. Cause I go really hyper, and try to break peoples necks >> XD
And sometimes I'm allergic to chicken, depends on hows its cooked. ):

Edit:: So its pretty hard to go to partys and friends house. I always have to make sure I avoid the pop, and chicken sometimes /:  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:02 pm
Wow, a lot of wheat sensitivities in here!

I just avoid most baked goods and eats lots of homemade Asian foods...though I do have to watch the soy sauce.
We have in town a Thai restaurant and I love it 'cause the entire menu is wheat free. Not that they do it on purpose, but wheat isn't used traditionally!

I have found that potato starch and cornstarch can be used with great effect whenever you would have used wheat flour to thicken.
And I make use of Jewish cookbooks 'cause they often have tips on how to make a recipe Passover kosher.
(Passover kosher is wheat-free! The only thing is to watch your matzo...make sure it is a non-wheat matzo.)  

Aachren

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:40 pm
Well, you're so filthy. I'm better off without you and you're better off without me.

I wouldn't say it's an allergy, but a lot of times, I cannot stomach pork well.
My dad thinks it's the fat content, but I can handle beef and that's fattier than pork...User Image

Well, I'm so ugly. You're better off without me and I'm better off alone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:15 pm
Resurrecting this thread because I was thinking of starting a similar one. I would imagine that as the guild has grown, more ladies with food intolerances and allergies have joined. cat_3nodding

I myself am gluten-intolerant as well as having issues with gums, GMO soy, and some corn products. I stay home and rarely eat out. wink I love to cook, so it's not really inconvenient unless we're on the road. Planning for road trips is so involved and can be such a pain.

Just wanted to say hi to all of the other ladies with food issues!  

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

DyraBlack

Misleading Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:45 pm
I have an insane list of food sensitivities. Wheat, dairy, rice, soy, lentils...etc. In total it came up to 14 items I'm supposed to avoid or never eat again.

Wheat is one of the worst offenders for me. Luckily, I looove veggies and my fiance is a chef.

Most of the time I just have quinoa (flour or otherwise) when I need a starch. Having a blender and food processor really help if you're not savvy in the kitchen. Blender for shakes/smoothies and the processor for soups!  
16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff