Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What happened to the English Language? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:25 am
Oh, I remember Kingdom of Loathing!
It was fun.
I think I'll make a new account.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:52 pm
People are lazy.  

haligonian

Questionable Conversationalist

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:20 pm
Grammar is your best friend. It truly is, but everyone is just too ignorant to see and too lazy to use.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:35 pm
I think its cause they're lazy.

But what gets me is when someone takes so much time to just type with symbols and such. I mean, i get it when like its one or two your using for something but like all the time is just plain annoying.  

Monster of Cookies Rawr

mitsuki5561

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:40 pm
Lus-cloud
Text talk/speak really shouldn't be tolerated. It's not a language, they do not offer a course on how to speak and spell using Text Language.

I know for a fact that a few years go, not mentioning where, they let *ENGLISH* students used text shortening techniques in the Exam drafts. When your writing an essay in an exam draft: One should not need text talk as a shortening technique. It should in theory be a no more than a few sentences on what you are going to say in a paragraph, with maybe a quote depending on the topic.

It is by far the worse thing ever. This place how ever did bar it the year after, seeing as it was not a language.

There may not be a class but there is a book. smile hehe xd  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:27 am
well truthfully, this "txt tlk", which we imply is for cell phone texting, did not really start out on cell phones. it started on forums like these. cell phones and texting have only been commonplace within the last decade. forums are older than that, and that is where it started out, so then yeah of course it is in forums now.  

Master Azrael Reaper

Deppfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 pm
Laziness, and because people think it's cool to tlk liek dis. lololomgwtf?!?!!21324e23eleven

RAGE!!!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:57 pm
Deppfan Teague
Laziness, and because people think it's cool to tlk liek dis. lololomgwtf?!?!!21324e23eleven

RAGE!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^ XD
To the post above mine...
I love you. XD

Well, yes, text talk can be attributed to laziness, ignorance, habit, etc.
But, there are other things, too.
For example, I know a lot of people, usually kids under the age of 14, mind you, that are not very good with spelling and grammar. I know this because I am a student tutor in English.
They tell me how embarassed they are about it, and how they end up using text talk, so they won't look 'dumb'. Although, I think the text talk is worse, personally. >.>

But, then there are people like me. I have a very old computer, and many of the keys on the keyboard don't work unless I mash them about ten times. I have to reread through my post, just so I can make sure there are no errors. But, some people don't want to bother editing the typos, s thre psts trn ut lik tis, which is understandable.

But, what I can't stand, cannot TOLERATE, is when you're talking to someone and they verbally say 'OMG LOL THAT IS SO FUNNY ROFL'.
It's perfectly fine, if they're trying to be funny, but, when they're totally serious! It's NOT that difficult to say 'Oh my God'. And the 'LOL' doesn't even fit into an actual, spoken scentence!
'Wow, you're so funny, laugh out loud!'
IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!! AAAAAAAUUUGHHH!!!!!!!!!  

CrypticCat

Familiar Informer

Deppfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:19 pm
SpinelSama
Deppfan Teague

RAGE!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^ XD
To the post above mine...
I love you. XD

Well, yes, text talk can be attributed to laziness, ignorance, habit, etc.
But, there are other things, too.
For example, I know a lot of people, usually kids under the age of 14, mind you, that are not very good with spelling and grammar. I know this because I am a student tutor in English.
They tell me how embarassed they are about it, and how they end up using text talk, so they won't look 'dumb'. Although, I think the text talk is worse, personally. >.>

But, then there are people like me. I have a very old computer, and many of the keys on the keyboard don't work unless I mash them about ten times. I have to reread through my post, just so I can make sure there are no errors. But, some people don't want to bother editing the typos, s thre psts trn ut lik tis, which is understandable.

But, what I can't stand, cannot TOLERATE, is when you're talking to someone and they verbally say 'OMG LOL THAT IS SO FUNNY ROFL'.
It's perfectly fine, if they're trying to be funny, but, when they're totally serious! It's NOT that difficult to say 'Oh my God'. And the 'LOL' doesn't even fit into an actual, spoken scentence!
'Wow, you're so funny, laugh out loud!'
IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!! AAAAAAAUUUGHHH!!!!!!!!!

That reminds me of the episode of Monk, where he finally got a computer and the internet. "That made me LOL...out loud."

rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:48 am
Txt-tlk is a virus, really. People discover the internet, or start texting, and everyone uses this shortened version of everything, so they figure they aren't cool unless they tlk liek dis. That's one more person to the virus. They help pass it on to anyone else who newly gets on the internet or starts texting, and it just keeps going forever.

paranoidNegotiator

General Lea

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 pm
Honestly, I loathe text talk. I usually don't use it unless I'm in a rush to reply to a message of real importance (because I have a regular cell, not a texting phone, I have to slowly type one...damn..letter...at....a....time).

I blame this new addiction the the horrible spelling kids are gaining now. That, and schools aren't correcting their mistakes, they're just ignoring them. It's proven by science that kids learn by repetition, and I don't think kids are getting that as well as they should b.

What really bugs me is when someone is using for example, an apple. Then they add another. That would be two apples right? NOPE. It's become two "apple's" with a damned apostrophe. Even businesses and such are using this improper plural on signs. It makes me think they're a bad company, because they can't even spell. Now, it would be right if the apple owned something kinda like "Applebee's" which is a restaurant, owned by a person who has that as their last name. But the simple plural is not right. Same with dog's, cat's, etc. [Fawful-speak] THEY'RE PLURAL, THEY ARE NOT OWNING ANYTHING! I have anger followed by chortles at such stupidity. [/Fawful] This atrocity angers me, bugs me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:12 pm
here's a helpful hint:

texting is easier with long fingernails!

otherwise, meh, just try to make sense

and good luck with that

and i do so hate the demise of the word "said"...

"and she was like...so i went like... but then she was like...so then i went all over like...but then she went like..."

huh?

did anybody SAY anything there?  

beaulolais

Breaking The Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:50 am
Well it could be because of texting but it could also be because the english language is starting to use shorter words. It's not just the forums and stuff like that, a few of my friends actually use abriviations like "idk" or "brb" when they are talking face to face with someone.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 am
-People believe it takes less time to type like that then with correct grammer.

-It makes an "Instant Conversation" a bit more "Instant."

-Saves energry / key strokes.

-It allows the user to not think as highly as before.

-It's easier when using and reading 'txt tak' / 'txt tlk' to sound out and read longer words, or longer streams of words then compared to when they are forced to read each individual word or sentance.

-It almost forces the mind to type shorter responces. If someone is trying to cut back on the amount of letters or the time in a responce, then they are less likely to type a lengthy responce, compared to when they don't care how long they take, they just type to explain what they mean.

There're a few ideas for you.

Also,

General Lea: I admit, I am one to over-use the apostraphe key. It may be because I'm too lazy to figure out how to correctly use an apostrophe, or it may be because I was never truly taught the correct way to use it. Either way, please correct me when I do that?

DvnT

User 15282449

Premium Garbage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:04 am
Initially, laze.
Once it settles for a bit, it becomes habit, and becomes natural, or if that isn't quite the right word, instinctive.
To some extent, it may also be a minor way of trying to gain acceptance among peers, assuming that the bulk of people that talk this way are in the general age range of those going to school. If one sets themselves apart, they run the risk of ridicule, and no matter how inconsequential or nonsensical the ridicule is, such things are wont to be avoided by these people.
One way that I see this happening is that the person who makes out their full words then typing on the computer or keying things in on their phones is seen as a nerd- who else, of course, would care about such trivial things as correct spelling and grammar and so on?

Compacting longer messages is questionable for the most part; though I'm sure it happens, it isn't the main cause for the stuff by any stretch.

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff