Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What do They Think of You? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shireishou

Newbie Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:05 pm
My sisters mad at me when she knew I use wigs upper my veil on con T_________T
so saaad  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:22 pm
Pretty much all of my close friends go to cons/anime and most of them cosplay. Before he died my Dad teased me about cosplaying, but not in a mean way, and my mom is totally awesome and helps me if I have an issue.

When it comes to my not close friends, most of the time I just tell them that one of my hobbies is costuming, because I actually do more than just anime/video game characters.  

iheartevil

5,150 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • First step to fame 200

exdraghunt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 pm
My dad is always thinking of "cooler" ways I could do something. To which I usually roll my eyes and go "right."

My mom isn't into the whole anime scene, but she does think that some of the costumes are amazing, and always helps me sew my cosplays.

The majority of my freinds are bigger geeks then I am.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:12 pm
my Parnets hate the fact that I cosplay but there is nothing much they can do about and plus I love it when I cosplay in public and I get strange looks because I look at it this way I am doing something I love and it doesn't matter what other people think.  

UkeSebastian

6,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

shireishou

Newbie Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 am
Todaymy drawing student ask me "Miss, I want to see Ur art at DeviantArt." So I ask him to open my site at her mobile phoone. but she change it into my cosplay folder
SHE LAUGH!
She cant stop laughing until my teacher friends ask me what happen.
She always laugh every time see my photo. wahahaha
She said "Miss.... this is so funny, I never thought U gonna be like this!" wahahaha  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 pm
my coworkers think it is awesome that I go to conventions...but it does help that I work at joanne fabric. My fam really thinks it is cool too.  

Dymagox

Dedicated Bibliophile

9,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100

XAngelswingsX

3,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 am
Lucky for me, my mom's side of the family's rather creative. My grandparents used to own their own clothing store, where my grandfather would travel frequently just to get his own handpicked fashion to sell. My grandmother has the amazing sewing skills of godly, she was already making most of her clothes at a young age, and even made her own bridal shoes for her wedding, or so my mother told me. She's also into painting, we have lots of paintings done by her at home (She actually painted me two matching Geisha paintings for my new living space as a surprise). In the last couple of years lots of stress and alike caused her to spend less time painting, since she lost her inspiration, but strangely enough she found it all over again when I once came over wearing a blue lolita dress, and she was all over me with a camera O_o'. A week later, she'd painted me xD. I had to swear I'd take lots of pictures of all my outfits and costumes or better, personally show them to her, because she actually thinks 'regular' clothing is boring, and this is awesome xD. She's a cool grandma ^__^.

My mom learned to sew from my grandmother, and inherited at least the great fascination for art and creative subjects. She's always helping me out with my cosplays, generally likes my odd taste in clothing that I wear daily too, and is very supportive, so that's all good! She even supported my crossplay at Abunai some weeks ago =3.

My dad... well... he's passive and doesn't express much really xD. At Abunai he once said I looked 'very pretty' with short red hair (it was a wig), which is a huge compliment coming from him, he never says anything at all, really. But he's not against it or something, he always helps me out with technical details. He constructed my wooden sword for my Michael cosplay! ^^.

My younger brother's the water to my fire really, he's into the whole social life scene so much, and his reputation's a holy thing. He generally mocks me, but my mom says he's just acting tough (I know he is, I used to dress him up all the time when we were kids xD). I asked him to go to a con with me sometime, and at times it seems like he'd really want to. He's scared out of his mind one of the people he hangs out with and goes out into town with during the nights will find out and think he's silly though =/.

In secondary I had some friends who did like to do such things, although more fantasy based. One considered cosplaying with me before, but she's generally too busy in life to really make time, so I never believe in that one much xD. At university my friends aren't into it much. They're all rather no-nonsense guys yet very very strange in their own way O.o'. They don't judge me or anything though, that's why I like them so much =D. Plus one's into anime/manga/games/japan, just... not enough to actually go to a convention >.>'.

Long story short, my family pretty much loves it, and my friends are either just neutral (I know some think it's childish and silly, but they wouldn't be judgemental towards me because of it) or positive because it makes me happy. The area where I'm originally from was extremely, and I really mean extremely stuck-up (richest part of the Netherlands, pretty much, the rest of the country treats it like some sort of mysterious legendary place while it's really nothing special, just.. people thinking they're better than others =/), they always generally mocked me for it with a lot of venom, but then again, they generally mocked me for anything they could anyway, they're highly judgemental =/. In Delft, where I now live and go to university, people are way, way more accepting. No one's ever avoided a conversation with me or made a nasty remark because my clothing style's a tad odd, in fact, people I don't even know just start talking to you in a very friendly fashion and include you in their conversation group instantly, regardless of age or personality or looks or anything, it's very pleasant ^^.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:12 pm
Idk lol my mom's chill with it. She had my older sister go through the hole OMGANIMECOSPLAYYAY thing before me, so shes used to it by now xD  

Sylvia Griffin

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Serrayas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm
I'm fortunate to come from a large family who accepts this. My brother and sister have/would like to cosplay with me and love anime and manga.

My dad took my family to our first con, and when he found out my sister and me were cosplaying.. he was worried we were a little strange. When we got there, my dad really enjoyed it. He realized there's many people out there who like the things we do (and people who are even more stranger than us XD ), and was extremely relieved we were somewhat normal. He really wanted to take us to the con this year, but he passed away months before sad

My mom didn't understand why we'd want to cosplay in the beginning, but when she went with us this year to Animethon she must have fallen for the "art of cosplay". She always made amazing Halloween costumes for us when my siblings and I were younger, she really wanted to be a fashion designer wink Upon seeing the vast variety of cosplayers and the creativity they had with their costumes, she was hooked. Though now I'm trying to convince her to go for three days next year instead of one.. a perhaps losing battle sweatdrop

As for friends, my oldest friends just found out I cosplay, and they're jealous smile They want to go next year with me... mwahahaha I have recruited minions to the dark side of cosplay twisted

Some coworkers and other friends of mine I'm rather reluctant to share my little cosplaying secret. They might think it a bit strange eek  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 pm
I've always been into anime so my parents were ok when I started goin to anime cons. But now that im in my 3rd year of college, they are starting to get worry that I'll never grow out of "Dressing up as cartoons."
I honestly see my self still going to conventions in the future ._.
I think that I may start a business related to anime things but not sure yet.

As for my friends who are not con goers...to be honest I don't think I have any friend that I have not invited to a con or turned into anime geek lol xD

And so far I don't think Ive had anybody weird out about me going to cons xD  

evilwings4

7,150 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100

GleekSily3_6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm
well my mom is from Brabant (a place in the netherlands) where they all are into the Carneval once a year...so she likes it.

my dad..well he thinks i'm crazy but dont mind it razz

my non friend just like it...they like to see the photo's, at school they call me Pokemon..but in my school are a lot of anime watching/manga reading people and some of them are cosplayers.

my teatcher thinks its a bit weird...but he also like it razz  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 pm
My mom likes to play with my wigs, as does my brother and boyfriend. o_o I'd say that it's fairly accepted that I attend cons. Though, it was kind of hard to get my boyfriend into it at all at first. He had a bad first con, but now he kind of gets excited about going to them.  

AirborneInfection

Air-O-Ookami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:26 am
My mom is some what supportive but she would like me to grow up.
my dad is supportive.

most of my friends are con goers.

though my bf isnt and he kinda doesnt understand but then agian i dont understand his icp obsetion so blah  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:48 pm
My mom loves it when i come up with costume ideas, but is usually too tired or busy to help me with them, so they just kinda sit there for a while...

My dad teases my brother and i RELENTLESSLY about the "ridiculous" and "geeky" costumes we're interested in. He called my brother "Frodo" for a week when he found out he bought an akatsuki cloak -_-'

My sisters don't really care, and my brother likes cosplay.

My friend's don't know i cosplay, though i've gotten most of them addicted to anime and manga and i'm pretty sure they'd consider one day >:3 I do have one friend who i think suspects me of being a cosplayer, because i posed the hypothetical question of "What would say if i dressed like L randomly?" razz

My boyfriend knows i like anime and manga, but he doesn't know i cosplay >_>  

FreakingCosmicKid

Commander Iowa

O.G. Bloodsucker

6,890 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 am
My mom seems okay with it. She doesn't too enthusiatic about it but she doesn't discourage me away from it either so it's good. My friends just kinda accepted it. We're all geeks in our group it's just only me and my other friend cosplay. Everyone else is meh about it.

I really don't feel comfortable telling my relatives about cosplaying and I hate it when my mom brings it up. In a way I feel I need to prove myself to them that "Yes this is real and I'm not the crazy cousin/nephew." sort of thing.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff