Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Death Penalty Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 pm
Brett Krueger
Think of it this way. I believe that A person should die in the way they murdered a person. An Eye for an Eye, if you will. I mean, REALLY, we're going to give a man that killed four people by torturing them and putting just enough poison in them so that they still live and then finally, when they BEG to be be killed, he kills them by slitting their throats, a little injection that just makes him go nighty-night and never wake up? That's unfair not only to the people who were murdered, but to the families of the people who were killed. Lethal injection, Hangings, The electric chair, any forms of "the death sentence" are just a way for fat, lazy politicians to keep their hands clean and not actually have to dole out justice when it is clearly needed. The senate's vague writings on laws and regulations has almost turned America into an Anarchy ridden, classless society of communists and crack-whores. This is our governments fault, not ours.

Unfortunately, that type of justice does not work, because the people carrying out the justice then have committed crimes themselves. Should they then be killed in that same way, too? And then what about the people who carry out those actions? It's an endless cycle. In theory, it's nice and just... but in reality, it's messy.

And then we come to the issue of what actually happens with death row. I don't know about other states so well, but here in California, it takes decades for someone on death row to go through the appeals process. By the time they get to their last chance, a lot of them are already nearly dead. All those years of paying for them to sit in jail, in private cells. It's nearly as expensive as just putting them in regular prison.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:40 pm
I respect your opinions, but i think the death penalty is wrong for a few reasons:
1.If the person turns out to be not guilty, many years after they have been killed, there is no undoing that mistake. Imagine peing the Judge, or on the jury of the trial, and hearing they were not guilty after all.
2. The death penalty is more based on revenge, then punishment. Although it is fair (if they have murdered somebody) The family of the deceased may initially feel ok, once the person is found guilty, it's just another person dead, it doesn't fix the situation, and doesn't bring the deceased back (then again neither does a life sentence).

Personally, i think sitting in a cell the rest of your life is a better punishment, As you know why your there, and that would occupy your thoughts, along with what your life would be like (family), if you hadn't killed, given up your rights and your life. You have to sit there and get old, while everybody else lives and enjoys life. Somebody being executed makes them sorry/fearful not for the person killed, but the fact that they will die.  

Sarcastic Squirrel

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:51 pm
In some cases, people deserve it, yes.
However, it can be a bit excessive.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:33 am
Unfortunately, I live in Texas, the last person to be hanged in this state was 4 years ago! in every other state they stopped hangings forever ago it seems!

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Texas still sets the record for the highest rate of death penalties on this continent. Other states send their death row inmates here because they don't want to look bad so they just have us "hicks" do it. Way to reinforce that stereotype, Justice system.  

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 am
Freddy.C.Krueger
Brett Krueger
Freddy.C.Krueger
I agree. At times it is fair. For the people that REALLY deserve it.
I don't see why when the police catch a *****, they stay in jail for so many years then get let out, on a "Warning". When they should have be given the death sentence instead.
Sometimes it is unfair, because for some criminals. They do not deserve such treatment.

People have different opinions on different things, I don't think molestation should be an offense punishable by death, or life in prison. But I DO think those convicted should be sent to some sort of special camp where all the other ***** live, without ANY children around. I mean, our tax dollars could be going to putting Serial killers to death. Or to putting people to death that molested AND murdered the child. Emotionally scarring a child for life is not nearly as horrendous a crime, in my opinion, as taking the life of another human.

I understand people have different opinions on different things.
In a way, I agree with some of the things you are saying. Like the tax dollars for putting serial killers to death would be a good thing in these types of cases.
What I do not agree with. Is the fact that "For not putting molesters" to death. Since these people can not be cured. Well, Not ALL but I imagine mostly a vast majority can not be. I believe the best thing would be is too take care of them once and for all.
While I do agree some should be placed in a "Special camp" were there is no children. Like you have said. There would be always the thought of, if they could get out or not, as well.
What I do not agree with is that. When a child is scared like that, From an adult, A "*****". It CAN be horrendous for the child. Though some would not understand, because of them not being in that situation before. It can be horrendous and horrible for them, making them become something they never wanted to be as they grow up.
As I have read in forensics, some majority of killers were molested as children. And it did not turn out well at all.
Though I do respect your opinion in most terms.

As do I, yours. I am not sure how to phrase this without sounding destitute or uncaring.
The first point i'd like to make is that, in some cases, these "*****" are just 18 year olds that had sex with their 17 year old boyfriend/girlfriend. Should they be put to death because of something so petty?
While most cases of molestation are "creepy 40 year old guys having sex with 12 year old girls" it makes you think, what IF, the girl asked for it, and wanted it? Just what IF.
But also, the girl could be lying, saying that he raped her when she really wanted it and asked.
On another note, he could have threatened that if she told he would kill her. You can't trust people's word these days.
What IF, she claimed he raped her, and then by your thinking, he is put to death, then 20 years down the line, she confesses that it was consensual.
What then?

It just doesn't seem fair to have someone put to death for having a problem, I mean, should we kill all the gay people too because they have a different preference? I don't see being gay as problem or a choice. But some people do, would you have a gay man put to death because he was caught with another man? Imagine it this way, if you were a mother, and your 18 year old son had been arrested for having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, would you want to see him die for such a dumb and meaningless reason?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:45 pm
I think my tax dollars could be put to better use than feeding a baby raper for the rest of their life. I've been wondering; if the death penalty was more common, would the crime rate go down at all? If a felon was more likely to die if they repeated an offense, would they continue to repeat it? I'm sure there has to be someone here who knows more about statistics.  

Ablutophobia

Breaking The Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm
It depends on the crime really. It's fair if you give a mass murderer death row but i wouldn't put a drug dealer or a simple thief to death. Plus if u put a murderer in prison theres still a chance that they can escape. I once knew this guy that was an illegal graffitii artist, he kept getting arrested and he busted out like 2 times before he gave up.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 pm
I am for the death penalty in some cases. But used sparingly, because in time, the person might have been proved innocent.

But I do not want tax dollars to give food and shelter to rapists and murderers. At the very least, they should all be put to hard labor, and make some sort of contribution to society.

It also expensive to put people on death row, especially in CA. I say they isolate the creeps in a dark box. Give them some nice, long time to wallow in their own scum.  

Musik des Mondes

Hygienic Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

beaulolais

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:52 am
we do not know who is really guilty

and so we run the great risk of killing innocent people.

"oh but the police! the prosecutor! the judge! the jury!!!"

they condemn innocent people all the time.

check out the DNA work of the Innocence Project, originating out of a college in Illinois; they have proved that hundreds of people condemned to die were really innocent.

it got so embarrassing that the Illinois governor just stopped executing anybody, period.

here are links to many Innocence Projects around the world:

http://forejustice.org/wc/wrongful_conviction_websites.htm  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:39 am
Fact: It is more expensive to put a person through death row than to shelter them in prison for the remainder of their lives.

The way I see it, it is revenge, after a fashion. If a criminal came and killed my mother, or my sister, or just somebody down the street, they deserve to die. Morals do not play into this. It's protecting my own self-interest.

Think of it this way. If I witnessed one person murdering another, and I held a gun in my hand, I would immediately proceed to kill that murderer. That's the essential aspect of it--the death penalty is not about justice, or even revenge. It's about killing. I would personally kill a killer, any day.

I support the death penalty. Murderers are not human(e), even though the term humane in itself is an extremely conceited word for us to have coined. Murderers and rapists do not deserve the chance to escape or even parole. I don't care that justice is served; I care that the remaining innocent are protected further. This is our means to accomplish that.  

zfatal

Toothsome Fairy

Hopeful Bliss

Tipsy Fairy

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 am
The situation is much debated. But if a man is given the death penalty for killing another one man, and you sentence a death penalty onto him. Therefore you are killing him.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 pm
lnvictus
Freddy.C.Krueger
Brett Krueger
Freddy.C.Krueger
I agree. At times it is fair. For the people that REALLY deserve it.
I don't see why when the police catch a *****, they stay in jail for so many years then get let out, on a "Warning". When they should have be given the death sentence instead.
Sometimes it is unfair, because for some criminals. They do not deserve such treatment.

People have different opinions on different things, I don't think molestation should be an offense punishable by death, or life in prison. But I DO think those convicted should be sent to some sort of special camp where all the other ***** live, without ANY children around. I mean, our tax dollars could be going to putting Serial killers to death. Or to putting people to death that molested AND murdered the child. Emotionally scarring a child for life is not nearly as horrendous a crime, in my opinion, as taking the life of another human.

I understand people have different opinions on different things.
In a way, I agree with some of the things you are saying. Like the tax dollars for putting serial killers to death would be a good thing in these types of cases.
What I do not agree with. Is the fact that "For not putting molesters" to death. Since these people can not be cured. Well, Not ALL but I imagine mostly a vast majority can not be. I believe the best thing would be is too take care of them once and for all.
While I do agree some should be placed in a "Special camp" were there is no children. Like you have said. There would be always the thought of, if they could get out or not, as well.
What I do not agree with is that. When a child is scared like that, From an adult, A "*****". It CAN be horrendous for the child. Though some would not understand, because of them not being in that situation before. It can be horrendous and horrible for them, making them become something they never wanted to be as they grow up.
As I have read in forensics, some majority of killers were molested as children. And it did not turn out well at all.
Though I do respect your opinion in most terms.

As do I, yours. I am not sure how to phrase this without sounding destitute or uncaring.
The first point i'd like to make is that, in some cases, these "*****" are just 18 year olds that had sex with their 17 year old boyfriend/girlfriend. Should they be put to death because of something so petty?
While most cases of molestation are "creepy 40 year old guys having sex with 12 year old girls" it makes you think, what IF, the girl asked for it, and wanted it? Just what IF.
But also, the girl could be lying, saying that he raped her when she really wanted it and asked.

On another note, he could have threatened that if she told he would kill her. You can't trust people's word these days.
What IF, she claimed he raped her, and then by your thinking, he is put to death, then 20 years down the line, she confesses that it was consensual.

What then?

It just doesn't seem fair to have someone put to death for having a problem, I mean, should we kill all the gay people too because they have a different preference? I don't see being gay as problem or a choice. But some people do, would you have a gay man put to death because he was caught with another man? Imagine it this way, if you were a mother, and your 18 year old son had been arrested for having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, would you want to see him die for such a dumb and meaningless reason?

It really makes no difference whether you molested a child or whether it's consensual, bottom line is your still looking at 20 years to life. I feel that the problem in society is that people are biased in the court of among certain things which would be child molestation they will NEVER take the word of the ***** as the truth and those children who would try to frame someone for whatever reason they make me sick my hatred and disappointment for them goes deeper than the ***** it's self. However we're straying away from the topic in the case of child molestation I don't think it's worthy of the death penalty alone even though is still think they need to have their testicles in a vice however if kidnapping and murder is involved then it still makes the death penalty a fair punishment.  

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

Lunastar324

Friendly Citizen

5,800 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Personally, I'm against the death penalty. I say let the criminal rot in jail with no chance of getting out and no visitation rights.

Think about it: Hammurabi's Code states "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth", but Gandhi said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 am
We should really stop this life sentencing crap and just use the death penalty. Though we would have to raise the standers for which one should be sentenced to death but end the life sentence because those ******** are taking up space so lets either release them or break out Mr. Gelatin.  

Gravity Sword

DemonicAlistair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:11 pm
轻言细语 孔明

The land is united at last....No, the land was always as one....

In a way the Death Penalty is fair, but think of all the cases where a man or woman was sentenced to death and then proof they were innocent came up after the person has been killed. I personally think it's too risky these days, as even irrefutable proof can be proven wrong.
It was man who has been divided....

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces