Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
I'm a "Con Newbie," Please Help! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:44 pm
I'd like to know how to keep away the creeps?

Approximately how much money should I bring to a con?

Can you list some really fun things to do at a con?

Also, which songs are used the most in karaoke contests?
sweatdrop

I hope I haven't troubled you too much!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:34 pm
Gaymeboy
I'd like to know how to keep away the creeps?

Approximately how much money should I bring to a con?

Can you list some really fun things to do at a con?

Also, which songs are used the most in karaoke contests?
sweatdrop

I hope I haven't troubled you too much!

How to keep away the creeps: Being in a large group of people you know helps. Also, not acting/dressing like a whore helps too (more for women but I've seen men do it too). If one does approach you, can look at the time then tell them politely that you have somewhere to be (photo shoots/meeting up with friends is a good and reasonable excuse).

Approximately how much money should I bring to a con: I put quite a bit in the lower post but generally, a couple hundred is a good amount. Stuff is pretty expensive and people seem to spend a lot more at cons.

List some really fun things to do at a con: Panels can be very fun but I generally just hang out with my friends. Nothing like seeing friends who you barely ever see who can make you laugh. Hell, even shopping can be fun at a con. It's really not too difficult to find fun activities at a con.

Which songs are used the most in karaoke contests: Sorry but I can't help you much with this. I normally don't attend karaoke simply because I just follow my friends around all day and talk with people in the Artist's Alley.

Hope it helps.

ChibiiNoodle
umm how much money do you think i should bring?? oh and how much is the stuff there (like mangas and other stuff because i hear taht they're expencive sweatdrop )

I normally bring about $300 while some of my friends bring less. One of my friends brings about $1000 but that because all she spends money on is cons. I'd say $200 is an alright price if you don't plan on buying a ton. Prices range from dealer to dealer but manga is generally a bit more expensive. If you plan to buy a lot, bring about $300 or a little more. And buy it sooner rather than later. Manga goes out of stock fast.

Hope it helps.

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200

angel_259236102

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:23 am
1. Stay with a friend, so you have someone to walk away with, and be polite. Dont get all I has a pepperspray!! on them but make it clear that you are not staying to talk.

2. Depends on what you are in too, and the size of the convention. There are always manga, so if you LOVE that, they are like 15$ each. Anime dvds are usually there, as long with posters and figurines and food (which can get expensive) and things like bookmarks and clothing is there. So, if you like a lot of these kinds of things then you want a lot. At least 100 I would say. I would bring food instead of buying it there, or if you have to buy some, buy it at someone else, because the food in the place they hold these things is soo pricey..

3. I shop and and hang out with friends, look at what cosplayers are dresses as, take pictures, go to panels, and other stuff like that. You should look at the sceduele rigth when you get there and plan things out. Because if you want to get to a panel at 3, and it takes 30 minutes to get there from the dealers place, you want to make sure that you get going by like 2:20.

4. Never done one, but it would most likely be popular music from anime and popular Asian artists.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 am
User Image
I run an anime club at my high school, and we're planning on attending a convention together, but I've only been to one in my entire life. My co-president and I try to emphasize the idea that we're not just club members attending the same school, but friends. Any tips or ideas as to what we could do together at a con? I was thinking group cosplay, but there are twenty one members and only three of them are guys. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks! heart

Mao-sensei

Magnetic Player

6,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100

Chibi-anime_chan

4,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Informer 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 pm
Omfg~ I still think im a con noob too! my first con was this past year in May. I had a lot of fun with my cousin who had just gone to her first one too.
I didn't have a full cosplay set cause i was brookeee. Would it be better if i made my own outfit or bought one(for next year).  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:56 pm
Well, the anime club in my school did a group cosplay, but I dont know if EVERYONE in there did. Probably not. I am not in it, but I think it was something like who ever wanted to do the group cosplay did it, and some people went on their own with other friends, and some helped the group cosplayers out with their stuff. They did Trinity Blood. I do not think that you should all go together as 1 big group, since as nice as it sounds, people do have different interests, and what not, and a group of 20 is hard to keep together.

Whether you make it or not depends on you. If you are going to make it, I would not want it to be half assed. And you dont want to buy somethign too expensive for your budget. So, it is a personal decision.  

angel_259236102

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:06 pm
Cake Filled Love
User Image
I run an anime club at my high school, and we're planning on attending a convention together, but I've only been to one in my entire life. My co-president and I try to emphasize the idea that we're not just club members attending the same school, but friends. Any tips or ideas as to what we could do together at a con? I was thinking group cosplay, but there are twenty one members and only three of them are guys. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks! heart

Hrm...only do group cosplay if you all can agree which people you want to go as. You don't all have to be from the same anime if you don't want to, and the process of making and getting the costumes can in itself be a good club/friend exercise.

As for things to do together, I might suggest that the main thing I enjoy at the cons are going to the panels. Not just ANY panels. The ones featuring anime execs and Voice Actors will be packed most likely, but if you look over your programs on the day you register, you might find discussions on certain anime shows, anime fandoms, Japanese culture, video games, even internet fan groupings like Gaia.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:27 pm
User Image
Alright, thanks for the advice. 3nodding

We weren't going to force them to walk around in a group the whole day, anyway. That wouldn't be fun. xD
We'll probably only do the group cosplay for people interested. Based on the amount of enthusiasm, I'd say only about less than half of them would. sweatdrop

Mao-sensei

Magnetic Player

6,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:23 pm
I'm going to my first con in May. (Fanime!) So I'm very much a con-n00b.

I was wondering what the artist's alley and dealer's room were?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:51 pm
Cake Filled Love
User Image
Alright, thanks for the advice. 3nodding

We weren't going to force them to walk around in a group the whole day, anyway. That wouldn't be fun. xD
We'll probably only do the group cosplay for people interested. Based on the amount of enthusiasm, I'd say only about less than half of them would. sweatdrop

Well, I've only been to one con myself.
BUT ANYWAYS.
If you do end up doing a group cosplay, pick something that has a lot of girls, and a few boys. :3  

FoxTailAngel

Shameless Businesswoman

5,000 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Hive Mind 200

FoxTailAngel

Shameless Businesswoman

5,000 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:25 pm
Cariella

Lol, HEYY GIRLL.
Artist Alley is where artists sell there own art. There's plenty of variety, and lots of fan art!

Dealer Room is where the "merch" is. Shirts, lolita dresses, plastic swords, plushies, manga, anime, and all that good stuff. :3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:40 pm
Chibi-anime_chan
Omfg~ I still think im a con noob too! my first con was this past year in May. I had a lot of fun with my cousin who had just gone to her first one too.
I didn't have a full cosplay set cause i was brookeee. Would it be better if i made my own outfit or bought one(for next year).

i bought my first cosplay because i don't have the skills to make my own costumes (yet). I think it's alright to by costumes for that reason or if you don't have enough time and want a complete outfit.  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:48 pm
Cariella

As FoxTailAngel said, Artist's Alley is a place where artists sell their work. Be it prints, tote bags, key chains, or hand made plushies, it'll be there. Some artists also take commissions but they tend to be a lot more than regular prints.

Dealer's Room is where the official merch is. It can get a bit pricey but it's normally worth it seeing as a lot of the stuff can't be found in a lot of places.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:03 pm
Thanks! I'll be sure to bring some money. C:  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

Geminis Twitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:42 pm
I've been looking for a cosplay and all of them for me are all wrong. As in I don't have the right hair to I don't have the right body type. So here's my small little forum thing > ...

I need three cosplays...Sadly. :b
I really suck at cosplaying to.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas