Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whatagirlwants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:43 am
xLady Tsukiyox
froggymama89
as lovely as it may sound it is a delusional idea. Here's why.

People tend to believe in their faith system whole heartedly and tend to believe that their faith is the truth. most of these faiths teach that all other faiths are wrong. Some of these faiths teach that those who do not believe must be destroyed while others teach that they need to be converted. Religion cannot coexist unless everyone believes in the same thing. Because if you believe something to be true then you are going to try convincing others its true even though they are fully convinced that what you are saying is not true and conflict breaks out. However no religion actually teaches that war is the will of God this is merely misinterpretation or twisting of holy writings for ones own will.
I’ll erase this feeling…
I still have a long life don’t I?
kono omoi wo keshiteshimau ni ha
mada jinsei nagai deshou?
Except not everyone don't see their religion as truth or go based on holy writings. Much of what they believe ranges from UPG to even CPG. To the mysteries the experieince. To the rituals they perform. Even if people believe something to be true it is only true for that person. Not to everyone else. Truth is how we perceive things. However others may perceive truth to be different thus why truth of religion or truth of Pantheons is only a subjective matter. It does not nor should it apply to everyone else. To state such generalizations is intellectually dishonest and also ignorant. neutral
I’m missing the feeling…
so this pain is also welcomed!
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

I think you missed the point. The gross majority of people that practice religion believe that it is THE truth. The concept that truth is relative is even one not everyone grasps. I am a Christian, Christianity teaches that there is only one truth and that is the Bible. I reject all any notion of relative truth. In actuality truth cannot be relative. It is concrete, facts. What is true is true and that doesn't change. To quote one of my favorite artists, Lecrae " If whats true for is true for you and whats true me is true for me, what if my truth says yours is a lie? Is it true?" If 10 people believe 10 different things and all 10 of them think that they are 100% right. There is going to be conflict. You cannot say truth is relative because if you think something is 100% true than anything that contradicts that is not true end of story. If someone walked up to you and said "gravity makes things go up," you would not just accept that is their truth. You would either write them off as loony are try to convince them that gravity makes things go down. Its the same way with religion. I belive 100% that there is one God in three forms the father, Son, and Spirit. That I was born a sinner and through asking the Son for forgiveness and following him I am redemed and will one day enter the gates of heaven. I accept this as fact and know it as confidently as I am sure George Washington was the 1st president of USA under our current constitution. If someone were to walk about to me say "there is no God," I would tell them otherwise.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:07 pm
I’ll erase this feeling…
Okay no. The Bible doesn't teach that it's the only truth. In fact not every Christian believes in Sola Scriptura.

There is no "current constitution".. The Constitution is our only one. And was written in 1781. Current would mean a version was written in 2010.

And again not everyone believes in the same truth. What part of Confimed personal gnosis and unconfirmed personal gnosis don't you understand. Or what part of truth is subjective and changes between person to person don't you get.

And ffs, hit the enter key a couple times! Reading your posts hurt my eyes.
I’m missing the feeling…
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Matron Mord Sith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:59 pm
Its human nature to judge and have our own opinions. Sometimes this causes conflict.

/thread  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:18 pm
xLady Tsukiyox
I’ll erase this feeling…
Okay no. The Bible doesn't teach that it's the only truth. In fact not every Christian believes in Sola Scriptura.

There is no "current constitution".. The Constitution is our only one. And was written in 1781. Current would mean a version was written in 2010.

And again not everyone believes in the same truth. What part of Confimed personal gnosis and unconfirmed personal gnosis don't you understand. Or what part of truth is subjective and changes between person to person don't you get.

I’m missing the feeling…
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

the current constitution as in the one we are currently using. I seriusly doubt you have ever read a bible. I can name verses of the top of my head but I will quote them for you so you don't get your knickers in a wad.
john 14:6 NLT

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

I will gladly give you more if you need it. Also truth is fact. By it's very nature there can only be one truth. However many people believe 100% that their faith is truth and these faiths contradict each other so they cannot all be true. One of them is right we simply don't know what it is. That is the very nature of faith, believing something to be fact without substantial proof even atheism is a faith because it has not been proven that there is no God.

Also Mord I would love for the thread to end but I can't sit by while people spread lies about my God...I think you can understand it's like if someone said your BF wasn't loyal to you without proof. you would defend him because you love him and know him.  

whatagirlwants

Liviania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 pm
xLady Tsukiyox
I’ll erase this feeling…

I’m missing the feeling…
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

*cough* The Articles of Confederation *cough*

Also, you can believe that the Bible is the only truth, agree with another person that the Bible is the only truth, and still have different ideas on what that truth is.

It depends on how you translate the Bible. How you interpret that translation. (Perhaps how other people influence you to interpret the words.) There are a wide variety of sects within the Christian faith alone because people cannot agree on a universal truth.

Religion is based on accepting something as true knowing there will never be concrete proof until after death. Faith is true. It is also a belief in a highly individualized truth.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 pm
Liviania
xLady Tsukiyox
I’ll erase this feeling…

I’m missing the feeling…
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

*cough* The Articles of Confederation *cough*

Also, you can believe that the Bible is the only truth, agree with another person that the Bible is the only truth, and still have different ideas on what that truth is.

It depends on how you translate the Bible. How you interpret that translation. (Perhaps how other people influence you to interpret the words.) There are a wide variety of sects within the Christian faith alone because people cannot agree on a universal truth.

Religion is based on accepting something as true knowing there will never be concrete proof until after death. Faith is true. It is also a belief in a highly individualized truth.

yes there are also groups who claim the bible as truth but are in no way Christians such as Christian scientists who believe in the unreality of material things to include our flesh.  

whatagirlwants

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:48 pm
Okay first ignorant mistake, froggy. Never assume that I or anyone else has not read the Bible. I have read the Bible.

The verse you posted may be true in your eyes. However according to other parts of the Bible, solely believing in YHVH isn't needed. If you don't do good works then you're faith is a worthless dead faith. Check Book of James.

And if you think that people are "spreading" lies about your deity and need a thread closed then it's time for you to reexamine your beliefs. Quite frankly if you don't like people challenging you then it shows just how weak and fragile they are. And such a weak faith can crumble easily.

And what if your truth is false? And say an Asatrur's truth is the right one? Then what? Will you crumble on the spot? What if a Buddhist is right and you aren't? Believing something to be true in your heart is one thing blindly believing that is the absolute truth of all things is another.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:44 pm
xLady Tsukiyox
Okay first ignorant mistake, froggy. Never assume that I or anyone else has not read the Bible. I have read the Bible.

The verse you posted may be true in your eyes. However according to other parts of the Bible, solely believing in YHVH isn't needed. If you don't do good works then you're faith is a worthless dead faith. Check Book of James.

And if you think that people are "spreading" lies about your deity and need a thread closed then it's time for you to reexamine your beliefs. Quite frankly if you don't like people challenging you then it shows just how weak and fragile they are. And such a weak faith can crumble easily.

And what if your truth is false? And say an Asatrur's truth is the right one? Then what? Will you crumble on the spot? What if a Buddhist is right and you aren't? Believing something to be true in your heart is one thing blindly believing that is the absolute truth of all things is another.

I didn't say I wanted the thread closed I said that I needed to defend my Lord. I hate it when someone especially someone who isn't a Christian spread misinformation about my faith.

Being a Christian is all about believing in God and the son of God. If someone is a Christian then they believe that they are are not perfect. That God can't stand sin but God loves us. That one sin is enough to keep us separated from God for eternity. That there is no way to be good enough for heaven. That because of this and because he loved us so much God came down in human form as Jesus also referred to as his son. He lived a perfect life and died a sinners death so that we wouldn't have to. That through believing in him our sins are washed away and we enter into the gates of heaven. That the only way to heaven is through Christ Lord Jesus. That is what a Christian is it is exclusive and it does teach that one cannot get into heaven through works alone but faith.

Also please quote this verse you speak of because I have never heard of it. I did not say that Christianity is THE truth I believe it to be but there is a chance I'm wrong. What I said is not all of us can be right. either 1 of us is right or no one is but there is no way to find out in this lifetime. I'll let you know if I reincarnate as a bee though.  

whatagirlwants

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:56 pm
I think the biggest challenge to coexistence is the fact that so many religious practices (not faiths, practices) are based on right thinking.

You can see this even in this thread. Everyone is convinced that they are thinking about their religion in the correct, most holy way. And there are often disagreements about how to think about religion, and only one way can be the right way to think. All others are heresy, and you must jump in to "defend your Lord" from the heretical ways of thinking that you are seeing in others.

My own faith practice went through many, many disagreements and splits because of disagreements in the right way to think. One of these even stemmed (I'm not making this up) from a disagreement in a community about whether to plant a field or allow it to lie fallow in one growing season. It was a matter of which group had the correct God-given philosophy, and they couldn't come to an agreement. The community split over this disagreement. (I believe the Summerfallower Mennonites still exist.)

This was one small, insular community consisting of one small denomination of one religion. All these people believed the same thing and they couldn't coexist. Not only that, but all these people believed the same thing and were each other's only social network in a strange, new land with strange, new people all around who distrusted them. And they couldn't coexist.

This is even a faith practice that bases itself around pacifism, acceptance and choice. And the church split over these kinds of disagreements in the right thinking.

If we can't get people to coexist within one denomination, how can we try to get them to coexist within one religion, let alone across the faith boundaries?

And that's just looking at religious difference. What happens when we add in the complication of ethnicity in the mix?

How do we build peace? How can we make sure that peace will break out in troubled areas? How do we make sure it stays?

I am open to suggestions.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:22 am
Indy1969
Lady:
You´re totally right, the "I" of this word is somewhat failed.
The Bah´ai is a monotheistic religion, while the Wicca believe in two deities (a Goddess and a God) and Pagans believe in no god at all.
The graphic is somewhat failed in this point...well, I have not made it.
I only wanted to talk about the basic idea of it.

Some forms of Wicca believe in just two, but a lot of forms believe in more. The same for Pagans. Pagans do actually believe in gods and goddesses as well as the elements and the power that is everything around you.

As for coexisting, we as human beings will always have conflict with people different than ourselves. You don't even have to look so far as religion. You can even just look right at home for that. Do you have fights with your mother/father/sister/brother? That's a conflict of interest right there and religion didn't have to partake in it. We will always have this debate as long as there is people around with differing opinions. That is the variety show we call life.  

SorceressJacklyn

Blessed Prophet

12,975 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Why can´t we simply accept anyone´s belief without killing each other?
Because there is too much to lose and so much uncertainty of what you would gain, if there was a gain at all. People just aren't willing to give up their beliefs, their lives as they know it. Would you be willing to give up everything on the spot? Push your doubts and fears away and know you can never turn back to what once was?

What do you think about it?
I think it's an ideal thought that many people over the centuries have had. It would only work though if people were willing to give up everything they know, everything they've been taught, all the years of practising their rituals and habits for the sake of being able to co-exist. But even then that's just asking too much for people to drop everything. For most their "truth", their "faith", their "beliefs" are what keep them going in life. You take that all away from them and what do they have?

Everything is connected. You take away a support beam and it all comes crashing down.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm
SorceressJacklyn
Indy1969
Lady:
You´re totally right, the "I" of this word is somewhat failed.
The Bah´ai is a monotheistic religion, while the Wicca believe in two deities (a Goddess and a God) and Pagans believe in no god at all.
The graphic is somewhat failed in this point...well, I have not made it.
I only wanted to talk about the basic idea of it.

Some forms of Wicca believe in just two, but a lot of forms believe in more. The same for Pagans. Pagans do actually believe in gods and goddesses as well as the elements and the power that is everything around you.

As for coexisting, we as human beings will always have conflict with people different than ourselves. You don't even have to look so far as religion. You can even just look right at home for that. Do you have fights with your mother/father/sister/brother? That's a conflict of interest right there and religion didn't have to partake in it. We will always have this debate as long as there is people around with differing opinions. That is the variety show we call life.
I’ll erase this feeling…
Actually all forms of Wicca being in two deities. It is a ditheistic religion.
I’m missing the feeling…
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

whatagirlwants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 pm
faretheewell
I think the biggest challenge to coexistence is the fact that so many religious practices (not faiths, practices) are based on right thinking.

You can see this even in this thread. Everyone is convinced that they are thinking about their religion in the correct, most holy way. And there are often disagreements about how to think about religion, and only one way can be the right way to think. All others are heresy, and you must jump in to "defend your Lord" from the heretical ways of thinking that you are seeing in others.

My own faith practice went through many, many disagreements and splits because of disagreements in the right way to think. One of these even stemmed (I'm not making this up) from a disagreement in a community about whether to plant a field or allow it to lie fallow in one growing season. It was a matter of which group had the correct God-given philosophy, and they couldn't come to an agreement. The community split over this disagreement. (I believe the Summerfallower Mennonites still exist.)

This was one small, insular community consisting of one small denomination of one religion. All these people believed the same thing and they couldn't coexist. Not only that, but all these people believed the same thing and were each other's only social network in a strange, new land with strange, new people all around who distrusted them. And they couldn't coexist.

This is even a faith practice that bases itself around pacifism, acceptance and choice. And the church split over these kinds of disagreements in the right thinking.

If we can't get people to coexist within one denomination, how can we try to get them to coexist within one religion, let alone across the faith boundaries?

And that's just looking at religious difference. What happens when we add in the complication of ethnicity in the mix?

How do we build peace? How can we make sure that peace will break out in troubled areas? How do we make sure it stays?

you hit the nail on the head hon. One of the things I love about my church is that we preach that its not details that matter its the heart and loving Jesus but there are many churches who disagree with that. my hubbys grandmother thinks it is sin to dance. While i have no problem with people who don't dance or even sing during worship. To say I am sinning because I am just so overflowing with the joy my Lord gives me that I have to move ticks me off. *cough* I will become even more undignified than this...david dancing in his underwear *cough*  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:55 am
froggymama89
faretheewell

you hit the nail on the head hon. One of the things I love about my church is that we preach that its not details that matter its the heart and loving Jesus but there are many churches who disagree with that. my hubbys grandmother thinks it is sin to dance. While i have no problem with people who don't dance or even sing during worship. To say I am sinning because I am just so overflowing with the joy my Lord gives me that I have to move ticks me off. *cough* I will become even more undignified than this...david dancing in his underwear *cough*
Tell her that in many cultures dancing is a way of worshipping a deity. And that she's being ignorant to your culture. razz  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

whatagirlwants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm
xLady Tsukiyox
froggymama89
faretheewell

Tell her that in many cultures dancing is a way of worshipping a deity. And that she's being ignorant to your culture. razz

its not that simple. You see, you are outside the religion so it seems like it would be. Like reason would work. But religion is a profound, deep thing and some people go overboard. SHe thinks that dancing it church is a sin hands down. I pointed the passage in 2 samual (or 1 sam) where david burst out dancing in his undergarments because he was so happy to be carrying the ark of the covenent and she just said that he wasn't perfect. She doesn't care about culture she says whats holy is holy and whats not is not.

But I can be pretty stuborn too. If someone claims to be a Christian but they are judging and telling people how they are going to burn in hell I will jump down their throat and the bible with me. Then I won't back down till they do. It offends me. Like really you worship this diety and claim these things about him but you portaying him opposite of how you holy book does. Judgement is THE LORD'S. but some people just don't get it.

So I can see where she is coming from in that perhaps she is offended at the idea anyone would dance and call it worship.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff