Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Less than three?
  <3!
View Results

Evil McBadguy

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 pm
Depending on the website either Prince, or Raven.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:33 pm
A lot of names have Greek roots. Go fig.
I still can't believe my name is getting popular...
I remember a time when it was nigh impossible to find a keychain or pen with my name on it.
Now I can go to ********' WALMART and find s**t with my name on it!
It's disorienting....

Wisdom Chyck

O.G. Codger

breedney

O.G. Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm
english for britain. ;___;  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Mine means Pearl in Welsh.

I've known for a long time. XD

skulI rabbit

Daniclone_23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 pm
English form of Iohannes, the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered saints. The first was John the Baptist, a Jewish ascetic who was considered the forerunner of Jesus Christ. The second was the apostle John, who was also traditionally regarded as the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.

This name was initially more common among Eastern Christians in the Byzantine Empire, but it flourished in Western Europe after the First Crusade. In England it became extremely popular: during the later Middle Ages it was given to approximately a fifth of all English boys.

The name (in various spellings) has been borne by 21 popes and eight Byzantine emperors, as well as rulers of England, France, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Portugal, Bulgaria, Russia and Hungary. It was also borne by the poet John Milton (1608-1674), philosopher John Locke (1632-1704), American founding father and president John Adams (1735-1826), and poet John Keats (1795-1821). Famous bearers of the 20th century include author John Steinbeck (1902-196 cool , assassinated American president John F. Kennedy (1917-1963), and musician John Lennon (1940-1980).  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 pm
Ennica

Mine means Pearl in Welsh.

I've known for a long time. XD
Aaw that's so pretty! :3
So wait... your name is Meghan?
Meghan is "pearl" in Welsh!?
Cool! You learn something new every day! XD

Wisdom Chyck

O.G. Codger

Klempky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm
Oh hey I've done this!

Cade roughly translates to "round" from like old English or something. Which is weird because I'm really scrawny.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 am
I am a flowering shrub!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

4laugh

Morde

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am
Quote:
Usage: Finnish

Means "blue" in Finnish. More specifically, sini is a poetic term for the colour blue.

This exactly.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:36 am
SARAH
Usage: English, French, German, Hebrew, Arabic, Biblical, Biblical Hebrew
Other Scripts: שָׂרָה (Hebrew), سارة (Arabic)
Pronounced: SER-ə (English), SAR-ə (English), ZAH-rah (German) [key]
Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally שָׂרָי (Saray), but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15). In England, Sarah came into use after the Protestant Reformation.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 am
MARIO
Usage: Italian, Spanish
Pronounced: MAH-ryo [key]
Italian and Spanish form of MARIUS

MARIUS
Usage: Ancient Roman, German, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, French, Romanian
Pronounced: MER-ee-əs (English), MAR-ee-əs (English), MAH-ree-uws (German) [key]
Roman family name which was derived either from MARS, the name of the Roman god of War, or else from the Latin root mas, maris meaning "male". Gaius Marius was a famous Roman consul of the 2nd century BC. Since the start of the Christian era, it has occasionally been used as a masculine form of MARIA.

MARIO IS NAMED AFTER THE GOD OF WAR. IT EXPLAINS SO MUCH.

Though I'm sure his parents picked it as a masculine form of Maria for Christian connotations.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:40 am
Caitlin (Irish: /koyt-hleen/ or /Cotch-LEEN/; English: KAYT-lynn) is a female name.
1. Along with the many other variants of Katherine, it is generally believed to mean "pure" because of its long association with the Greek adjective katharos (pure), though the name did not evolve from this word.
2. The name originated in Ireland as Caitlín and is the Gaelic variation of the Old French name Cateline, which was derived from Catherine, which was derived from the Ancient Greek Aikaterine.
3. Catherine is attributed to St. Catherine of Alexandria and the Greek goddess Hecate.

MARY
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: MER-ee (English), MAR-ee (English) [key]
Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) and Μαρια (Maria) - the spellings are interchangeable - which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".

Keito-san

Romantic Nerd

amongoose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:43 am
A whale's v****a  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 am
amongoose
A whale's v****a
Close.

JOSHUA
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAH-shə-wə (English), JAW-shwə (English) [key]
From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. As an English name, Joshua has been in use since the Protestant Reformation.
The name Jesus comes from a Greek translation of the Aramaic short form יֵשׁוּעַ (Yeshu'a), which was the real name of Jesus.

Keito-san

Romantic Nerd

Confectionery Puff Rock

10,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:50 am
JESSICA
Usage: English
Pronounced: JES-i-kə [key]
This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice' (1596), where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH which would have been spelled Jescha in his time. It was not commonly used as a given name until the middle of the 20th century.
|
V

ISCAH
Usage: Biblical
From the Hebrew name יִסְכָּה (Yiskah) which meant "to behold". In the Old Testament this was the name of Abraham's niece, mentioned only briefly.

Games

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff