RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:22 pm
--Anorexic beauty queen, with painted eyes so toxic...--

Frankly, my skin starts crawling everytime I see someone text talk.
I'm entirely tempted to make a lesson on English and Grammar and post it.

I think I should.

--...Flowers painted on her back, centerfold erotic--

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:30 pm
RosesFallingLikeRain
--Anorexic beauty queen, with painted eyes so toxic...--

Frankly, my skin starts crawling everytime I see someone text talk.
I'm entirely tempted to make a lesson on English and Grammar and post it.

I think I should.

--...Flowers painted on her back, centerfold erotic--

User ImageUser Image

Yesh, I have something to say.

Dooo eet! It's really needed.

I guess we'll never know, because I forgot.

iDorkosaurous_Rex

Link_to_Your_Destiny

Romantic Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:34 pm
My school completely forbids it. I'm glad it does. To be honest, why write without proper grammar and sentence structure. If I'm texting I usually end up writing like I normally do.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm
I definitely don't think it should be allowed. I don't even text talk when I text. I do little things like "lol" a lot, but I pretty much use proper grammar, spelling, etc.

English class is meant to teach students how to properly write an essay, as well as teach classic works of literature.

I haven't decided my major yet, but if I become a teacher, I will give zeroes to any student who attempts it as well.  

Aliareana

Frozen Bunny

16,650 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200

BannedAccount8623822

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:39 pm
Holy crap text talk in school? Ok I know i text talk but that's only on the internet >.> but at skool i write in proper sentences. My skool hasn't started with all the text talk stuff you'll get a 0 on it if you do >.>

They shouldn't allow text talk in school or else the whole proper english will vanish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm
Heh. Well if kids today don't like typing/writing out full and proper words/sentences, then I say we should cut off their thumbs and fingers one by one every time they do this. That should teach them not to defile the English language like their fathers do to prostitutes while their mother isn't looking.  

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:57 pm
This new makes my good mood fall and crash and burn.

Now I feel the need to call all my text talking friends and force them to start using proper English! Of course, they'll just call me a Grammar Nazi, like they always do...

This is slightly off-topic, but sort of related: Did you know they're no longer teaching cursive writing in schools? They've decided that with the world of computers, it is no longer necessary to have good handwriting.

These two facts only show that the education standards are declining. Personally, I think today's generation (including my own peers) is becoming lazy. It's not mental capacity, it's merely the lack of motivation!

Maybe we can make a petition and send it to the Senate...
Just a mini suggestion, but I'm sure with Gaia we could get quite a few names.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 pm
*shudder* that is just revolting. I am guilty of doing it sometimes, when I am in a hurry and trying to text someone, but almost all the time I will use proper grammar. I just hate it when people run sentences together or don't use punctuation marks.  

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:16 pm
Schools need to prepare children to communicate with potential employers. The generation that employs us does not use text talk. It would more than likely be seen as unprofessional. Creativity should be encouraged, but students should not be consistently allowed to turn in unprofessional work. It will not teach them the right set of skills.

Maybe in 40 years when our generation is both employing people and teaching, text talk will be appropriate.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:48 am
anticupid16
This new makes my good mood fall and crash and burn.

Now I feel the need to call all my text talking friends and force them to start using proper English! Of course, they'll just call me a Grammar Nazi, like they always do...

This is slightly off-topic, but sort of related: Did you know they're no longer teaching cursive writing in schools? They've decided that with the world of computers, it is no longer necessary to have good handwriting.

These two facts only show that the education standards are declining. Personally, I think today's generation (including my own peers) is becoming lazy. It's not mental capacity, it's merely the lack of motivation!

Maybe we can make a petition and send it to the Senate...
Just a mini suggestion, but I'm sure with Gaia we could get quite a few names.
User Image

D: No more cursive writing? I don't use it much, but it's still a good thing to know how to do.

This is disgusting. Text talk just makes you sound stupid. Why we are now encouraging stupidity in our schools is beyond me.

Ω

Letter-W

Shy Star

A Bloody Band Aid

Ruthless Businesswoman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 am

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Peace.....
I only use mild text talk like 'lol' and simple slangs but not in school it kinda aggravates me when someone does that so please do it. x:
And Tranquilty..... .icons by mockingbirds99.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 am
It warmed my heart to log on and see that all of you concur with the idea that text talk should not be allowed in schools. Honestly, I think it's digusting. I never use text talk unless I am joking or mocking someone. I do make grammatical and typographical errors, as do most that I know, but I try my best to correct them. And am mortified when I do make them.

I am well aware that schools have ceased teaching cursive and that really disgusts me. I adore writing in cursive. It's quick, efficient, and it looks damn pretty. Now, grant it, I did horrible at curive when I was taught it in school, but had it's importance not been impressed upon me in school, I would not have pursued it after they stopped having lessons specifically geared towards it. Also, how is one supposed to sign their signature to something if they don't know cursive? You cannot print your signature. At least I was taught you couldn't. Maybe things have changed...

The greatest things happened a few days ago, a student tried to turn in an essay to my mother with text talk. A typed and printed essay at that. My mother asked him what programme he had used to type his essay and he rudely responded with 'Word'. My mother then said: "Okay, so you either ignored the squiggly red line that signifies that you're too stupid to spell out a word correctly, or you went to the dictionary function and added all this bull so Word wouldn't remind you of what an idiot you are. May I ask which you did?" The student became indignant that my mother would 'dare' to 'imply' he was stupid, and threatened to tell his mother. "Well, I rather hope it isn't in a letter, because your mother might be hard pressed to comprehend it. Please sit down." And while he was sitting down, she tore it up and threw it away, "I didn't take 'Illiteracy 101' while I was in college, so that's going to be an automatic zero". Later that night my mother got an e-mail from the boy's mother, stating she had no idea where he got the nerve to turn in something like that, and that she was behind my mother if my mother wanted to write him up for it, and asking if her son could turn in a corrected paper for a 70. My mother agreed on the grounds that the boy stay after school and hand write it. The mother agreed it was best.
I was just so happy to see a parent side with my mother. My mother tore up another child's 'essay' and the mother of child threatened 'to sue' for 'discrimination'.

As far as college professors not accepting text talk, they just might yet. While I was attending private school, we watched Channel One daily. Which is a news show geared for teens to keep them in the global loop. Anyways, on this show the people stated that many colleges were considering accepting text talk, and converting Shakepeare's plays to text talk...ot at least modern English. I was appalled, particularly when my Biology teacher lauded them for the concept.
Now tell me, which is easier to understand?

Julius Caesar
O conspiracy!
Sham'st thou to show thy dangerous brow by night,
When evils are most free?

Julius Caesar, TXT TLK edition*
O conspiracy!
shAm on U shON yor
fAc by nyt,
wen }-)z iz frE?

Personally, I find the first easier to read. But, that's just me.

* Big thanks to Transl8it.com for converting it to text talk after I converted it to modern English.  

[Lacrimosa]

The_Brightest_Moon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 am
It was last year I think but I made a post in a frenzy (most likely in the forums, can't remember where), in fear for what the English language was becoming. No one listened to me.

I told you so.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 am
User Image
@[Lacrimosa]: Props to your mother for standing up for the English language!
And that part with the translation is rather horrifying.

Ω

Letter-W

Shy Star

[Lacrimosa]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 pm
Thanks, I luaghed my a** off when she told she ripped up the paper. She said the kids face was priceless. I wish I'd been able to see it.

Yeah, I know. I honestly can't see how it is even the same. I don't understand why it has brakcets and stuff. But that's what the translator said...  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff