Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
Do you cosplay in character? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How in character are you when you cosplay?
Not at all
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
I'm only in character for skits
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes, it's fun :D
67%
 67%  [ 90 ]
Character? I predict a 99% probability that I am L. :|
24%
 24%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 134

SaltyCheerio

Witty Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm
I was a witness to an "in character" person. She was Arieth and her friend was the guy with red hair from FF 7....forgot his name. They encountered a Cloud and they started to act in character with Cloud. But the guy cosplaying as Cloud had no idea what they were talking about because he had never played the game nor done his research. XP  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 pm
Ah, I try my best too. I normally just adopt the Bronx accent for when I cosplay as Harley Quinn from Batman though. She's a light, fun character to portray and I really enjoy acting out as her! I think what makes cosplay so much fun though is the outgoing and bubbly characters.
I try to stay in character 99.999% of the time and my friends will call me Harley at cons so I always am around them. heart I think cosplaying quiet times is a lot more difficult on my part as well though. sweatdrop

Little Roo Girl

IRL Conventioneer

6,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

Demon Horse Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 pm
I try to be in character most of the time..though I'm sorta shy so..eh I try >.< but I'll definately be in character for pictures or w/ another character.. but yeah.. --however if I have a mask on, I like lose any fear & I can be in character fairly well..I'm really weird like that >.> Though I feel I'll do fine when I cosplay as Kyuubi this summer (go fuzzy,toothy masks ^^')
..In all it's fun while it lasts for me..definately give credit to those doing skits...  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:07 pm
Acting in character is really fun! I do it a lot...but not when it gets out of hand CREEPY... there was a guy dressed as Cap'n Jack Sparrow (i know, I know, not really cosplay..but). He sounded exactly like the pirate, looked exactly like the pirate and he acted really ditzy and drunk. He had a spinny toy, and was doing the whole eyebrow-eye movement jack does... he freaked me out so much I *accidently* broke his toy...
So, basically, if you act TOO in character, expect some screams, nervous laughs, stares, etc... and remember not to go too insane or touch people o. o...

:3....everyone there thought I was a boy. Kaito power 8D!  

ghosteroni

Newbie Noob

Bee Movie Suit

Hoarding Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:12 pm
I love acting in character, but I try not to do it overboard.

User ImageBeeMovieSuits 5013/ಠ 3ಠ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 pm
Being in character can be fun when you're with others from your series. KumoriCon '08 yielded some great experiences doing this, haha.
I made friends with a bunch of other kids and we all banded together as the Akatsuki (We had one of each, it was awesome.) and we played 'follow the leader' (AKA stalk Pein everywhere).
Another time we were walking around the Lloyd Center (This huge mall) and there was an Itachi who was ice skating.
"KISAMEKISAMEKISAME-falls-"
Everyone else: ...-brbdieingfromlaughter-"
Me: "...Oh, there you are Itachi~! xD"
It was a blast.
I'm excited for SakuraCon because for M.M., she and I are pretty much one and the same (My initials are also M.M.), so I get to act myself ;D  

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

Mirialiah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:44 pm
I think being in character is so much fun! I come with an acting background like a number of you which might color my thoughts on that but oh well. razz

Basically, I tend to want to cosplay characters that I already have some sort of similarities to. Generally it's a personality similarity so that works out pretty well.

I'm going to Tora-con as Lucy/Nyu from Elfen lied the first day. That one will be rather easy because if I end up being super serious you could say I'm Lucy...OR, if I end up being an air-headed goofball (like if I'm overly excited about something---like someone else mentioned) then you can just say I'm Nyu.

As it is, I already use the word "Nyu" on a daily basis and I have for several years. xD It kind of evolved out of the word "No" a long time ago. Moving from "No" to "Noooo" to "Nuuuu" and then to what it is now, "Nyuuuu." If I drop something at the con---say, my tag or something--- then I'd say, "Nyuuuu" and pick it up. xD I don't even have to try.

I'll be cosplaying Yuki Cross on the second day which I don't think will be hard at all. I just need to be somewhat oversensitive about things, intuitive, sometimes serious, needy, and with a sprinkle of confusion on top. x3 Piece of cake.

I'm already perky like her. xD  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:03 pm
I say that acing is pretty fun at the convention xD

Though I couldn't stop giggling like a Catholic school girl ever single time I saw a Sasuke or my Kabuto xD Mind you I was cosplaying Orochimaru xD

My Kabuto friend and I would look at one another and brust into such an insane laughter that people would be staring at us like we were crazy xD

Maybe we were =]

Besides that, it's interesting to see people's reactions to a well done cosplay/crossplay and well done acting. =]

Conventions are for cos/crossplaying with acting am I right?  

Snake Prodigy

Mirialiah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm
Hikari Tama

Though I couldn't stop giggling like a Catholic school girl ever single time I saw a Sasuke or my Kabuto xD Mind you I was cosplaying Orochimaru xD

My Kabuto friend and I would look at one another and brust into such an insane laughter that people would be staring at us like we were crazy xD

Maybe we were =]

Besides that, it's interesting to see people's reactions to a well done cosplay/crossplay and well done acting. =]

They don't have to be. Where else would people meet up to dress up? I guess you could have group meetings but still. Initially cosplay meant acting was included but it's come to just be a more general term. Hardcore cosplayers act (which I would say is still the majority, but I dunno---guess it depends on where you live) but there's not anything particularly wrong with just dressing up either.

In general though, if someone's going to take the time and effort to actually make their costume accurate (or spend a wad of money on a pre-made one), then that probably means they're hardcore and probably means they love/know their character enough to be able to act like them. x3 Otherwise they wouldn't pour their blood, sweat, tears (and sometimes money) into it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 am
I only ever stay in character for photos or when in the masquerade, the rest of the time I like to enjoy the convention as myself with my husband and friends.

Over here I find it's the younger people (16/17 and under) who are only in character the whole day, the older con goers mostly just go to have a good time with friends and chill out for the weekend.
I don't mind if they want to be in character all day as long as they don't bother me. It's fun to watch sometimes, especially if they're not the kind that insist on doing yaoi-type poses with people and are actually quite good.
It's easy to take it too far though. Last year one girl insisted on trying to take my hat because she was "in character and that's what they do", as you might guess I wasn't too impressed. If you want to play with your friends and be in character that's fine however, you don't start messing about with strangers's costumes without saying anything. It's a quick way to get a good amount of cosplayers here to dislike you.

I would find it extremely annoying if they were my friends or I was trying to talk to them though, I go to conventions to meet up with friends and meet new people, I want to talk to them not the character they're dressed as. I guess because we're friends with the older con goers and most of us didn't start going til we were 18 none of us have ever done it, for us it's more about getting the costume looking good and having a good time as who we are. We all get into character for photos and on stage but that's as far as we take it really.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

ii_Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:49 am
ive cosplayed so many ppl and have been in there character 100% i remember when me,my two brothers and sisters went as zuko,aang,katara,toph and sokka we first did our own version of the episode were zuko first joins them i was zuko my oldest brother was aang my two sisters were katara and toph and my youngest brother was sokka

u remember when zuko left i said " come get me when u r ready to talk serious " aang said " but i am ready to talk serious " and i turned around and said " maybe u need to shut the ******** up "  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:42 am
Mirialiah
Hikari Tama

Maybe we were =]

They don't have to be. Where else would people meet up to dress up? I guess you could have group meetings but still. Initially cosplay meant acting was included but it's come to just be a more general term. Hardcore cosplayers act (which I would say is still the majority, but I dunno---guess it depends on where you live) but there's not anything particularly wrong with just dressing up either.

In general though, if someone's going to take the time and effort to actually make their costume accurate (or spend a wad of money on a pre-made one), then that probably means they're hardcore and probably means they love/know their character enough to be able to act like them. x3 Otherwise they wouldn't pour their blood, sweat, tears (and sometimes money) into it.

I've poured at least 40 hours of handsewing together Edward Elric's coat, let alone the rest of the cosplay, and I'd really... not want to act like him in public.

Especially since I know everyone's going to want to trigger the shrimp-switch, and being obnoxiously loud at a convention is one of my biggest pet peeves.  

Josephine Jo

6,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200

A Blue-Eyed Monster

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm
When I cosplayed as a bubble-head nurse it was easy to stay in character given my face was completely obscured by gauze.

My friend and I went into the stairwell at the hotel the con was being held to take pictures. The elevators were constantly packed full of people so alot of people took the staircases, I can't tell you how many people ran passed us because of our costumes and the place we were in. So many nervous looks; it was hilarious.

I even won a tee-shirt for my stellar impersonation (of a zombie?!). I got all up in a fellow cosplayer's (from Bleach) face, turning my head at wierd angles and dragging my feet making the little moan-y grunting sounds they make. It was definately fun.

Smoking, eating, and drinking was difficult and the heels killed me, so this year I'm going to touch up my costume and buy a pair of white chucks and spatter them with gore to spare myself more blisters.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:44 pm
If I'm going to send money and hours making a cosplay I'm totally acting the part.
I wouldn't make a Gray ((Fairy Tail)) cosplay from my husband because he didn't want to wear a part of swimming trunks under his pants, strip down to the trunks, and run around pretending he didn't know he was only wearing swimming trunks...

No sir... I won't spend my time doing something that can't be finished.
Also, cosplay competitions ^w^
The first cosplay costest, I won second place in the individualist category for my portrayal of my character. I can't put that ribbon to shame T _ T  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

harukokun

4,750 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:07 pm
I'm not really sure cause i plan to cosplay for the first time this year, but since i'm sorta like my character i'm sure it'll seem like i'm being in character when i'm really just myself lol  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff