Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
canon or fic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fanfic or canon?
  fanfic ^_^
  canon -.- (can you tell i'm biased? XD)
View Results

Sirius the Moony Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm
The sixth book ruined a lot of couples for me, (Harry/Draco and Remus/Tonks= eew.) but I will always remain a faithful Rowling fan. I believe she's a genius, even if she's sunk my ship more than once.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:43 pm
I read this first Harry Potter book in sixth grade and didn't like it very much. I've read up to the fifth book ( gonk I'm waiting to borrow the sixth from a friend ) and I'm still not totally head over heals for it. Rowling is a great and talented author, but it's not really the way I would have liked the writing to be. neutral

I like fics much better. It's different styles from the fic writers and it's different from the original. Variety~! You have to have variety in what you read. Rowling is slightly repetitive but does a wonderful job with her writing; much like Anne Rice with the Vampire Chronicles. I heart the Vampire Chronicles with a passion and haven't read any fiction yet because I loved the original so much. Maybe I'll try to find a good fic.. 3nodding

Anyways.... Fics are better to me because it so different from the Harry Potter series. w00t. ninja

ami-jou

kimika56

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:58 pm
Gotta love the fics. I mean, how many times a day do you see things based off of straight pairings and hate it so you write your own, make it slash and make it more possible for things of magic to happen. I mean, how often does that happen canon?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:14 pm
Subliminal Effect
Yes but.... it was totally awsome (lyke, rly~!) when Draco smashed Harrys face in.
xD
The one part of her books I liked the best.

When I read that part, I was so embarrassed that I sat the book down for TWO hours before I continued reading, only to put it back down when Harry attempted to get into HOGWARTS using a simple unlocking spell. ;-; That time, I sat it down for at least three hours. It takes me a long time to read embarrassing stories. x_x;

I prefer fanfiction. I've only read the books because it gives me more background so I understand fanfiction, and because it's popular enough for me to be able to discuss it with others.

I don't think Jo honestly earned all of her fame. She's good, but not that good.

Osom

Cluttered Cat

11,350 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500

Roane_Fossegrim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:26 pm
Ok, I love the Cannon books up through the fourth A LOT! MORE THAN IS HEALTHY!
After that I don't really know. Like, I like them but not as much.

But I must say that I Hate ((with a captal H for HORENDOUSLY HIDEOUS MAKING ME HIDE IN A HOLE UNTIL THE TURN OF THE CENTURY OR THE WRITER WALKS BY SO I CAN KILL THEM)) when the characters act out of character.
Slash is only good if you can take the character from how they are and put them in a situation that something could happen.

Just thought I should share.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Although there would be no fanfics without the actual HP books, I would have to say that I prefer reading fanfics. However, it sometimes is hard to find a good one, but when you do, its amazing! ^^
Maybe I get a little too excited about fanfics, but I don't care. Fanfics are definately more fun and interesting than the books. If you ask me, JK really was dissapointing in the sixth book, even though it had things going on through the entire thing, to me it almost dragged. I think she's slacking and getting tired of writing. But that's just me.
Fanfics will live forever, but series eventually stop.
I prefer Fanfics.

Ebony_Evenings

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:47 pm
I like to live in my own little hope bubble that Harry and Draco will one day realize their undying love and obsession for each other and screw like happy little bunnies.

Until that happens, I like fanficton more. Or maybe because that happens in fanfiction, I like it more.

Not to say I don't like the books. I love the first five books. Frankly, when I first read HBP - and a friend agrees with me on this - I thought it was a fanfiction. It certainly seemed that way. It was only after i remembered that it was written by the author that I remembered that it was the actual sixth book.

I was highly disappointed in that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:37 pm
Am I the only one who enjoyed HPB? confused

Personally, as much as I love it, fanfiction will always lose to canon. Some fanfiction is gret, but nothing comapres to teh real deal. It's teh body that everything is absed on, and without it the fanfictions are nothing, unconnected, and lacking in depth. Jo's a pretty good writer, and I love her characters and her world.

I'm jus glad I don't have make the choice between canon and fanfiction though.  

Zaurak

Second Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:12 am
*grins* I love the Harry Potter books because of the storyline, for sure...
But I prefer fanfictions. The books are a great base story for a whole lotta great fanfics. And in answer to what is Shoebox Project?
It's a novel length fic on LJ by lady_jaida, and is basically the story of the Marauders, from Hogwarts, and is aiming at finisheing at the death of Lily and James... But it's a Remus Sirius slashfic! whee
Anyway. Yeah, I like the fics because of the pairings. I don't really like the Harry/Ginny thing at all, and especially not the whole Draco/Pansy thing. I think it's a little predictable, the whole relationship. I like the fics better because of the imagination that goes into them. Heck, I've seen fics that take place after the fifth and sixth book that pair Harry and Draco, and they work! Not only that, they are more interesting.
And I must agree with Transvesticade- HP HBP did feel like a fanfiction to me.
Anyhow. I'm finished talking now. redface  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:30 pm
I loved the first three books, maybe it was because of the age I read it at, that it was at my level at the time, but I absolutely adored them. Then The Goblet of Fire came out; I can't say I didn't like it, because I did, but I was beginning to become weary of the series. HBP and OtP simply drove me mad though; I hated the ending of OtP for more than one reason. It just seemed so ramshackle, with them leaving to the ministry and all and then HBP by popular opinion, read like a fanfiction. JK seems to lost her steam (but can you blame her? That's quite a fair bit of writing she undertook! Nonetheless, I draw my final conclusion; I enjoy the fanfiction more than I do the books. By my siggy you may be able to tell that I'm a Sirius/Remus shipper 3nodding  

myriadborealis

jaded1004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:12 am
=/ yeah rowling's deaths really do feel random... it's like shock effect but that's about it o.o;;;

no depth or meaning at all scream i was about to flame her when she killed off the guy in book 5 *for those who haven't read*  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:50 pm
I love the books n_n;;

But I still love slash <3

bish diIIigaf

Wheezing Smoker

evy_writer

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:33 pm
personally, fanfic is better particularly to older readers. and book four and six are my favorites. now the reason i love book six is that it gives a hint that draco might be good for a time and help harry, but he could die (NO!) anyway, draco is just as strong and harry needs someone worth his strength. i just cant see a woman doing that. anyway i joked around when draco broke his nose (its obviously flirting!) lol. anyway i dont like how she made him whiny but lets look lucius has manipulated him and draco is just now seeing what a biased self p***k his father was and it landed him in jail and hes being blackmailed by the dark lord. i dont think draco wants any of this he's just under so much pressure. my cousin told me that if he wanted to kill dumbly he could have and he wouldnt have let it be so easy to mess up so maybe he wanted to mess up. i dont know but i just know that book seven will surprise us all and that now book six is sorta giving way to new and better fanfiction now that draco might turn good without his father behind him breathing down his neck. mad  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:44 pm
Like I said I loved the first four books. And I'm going to spoil number 5 and 6 if you haven't read them don't read this post.
In book five Harry was a bit angsty for my taste, but I understand because he was a teenager and all that jazz. But when she killed Sirius I shed tears and must say that it seemed like a cop out! It was so random and I didn't like it at all.
In Half Blood Prince I must say that the end, when everyone paired up, was RANDOM! It was like a badly written fan fiction. The Billy/Fleur thing made me happy and had backup but the Remus/Tonks thing was just awkward.
But I must say that I loved the Half Blood Prince, as in the person, in the book. Severus sounded just like a Maurader! It made me think that maybe if Severus had been the last Maurader instead of Peter that things would have been better. Like James and Lilly wouldn't be dead, Sirius not a "murderer" and now dead, and the like.  

Roane_Fossegrim

fourteencarrot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:03 am
Roane_Fossegrim
The Billy/Fleur thing made me happy and had backup but the Remus/Tonks thing was just awkward.

I completely agree about Bill and Fleur. I love Fleur now.

Remus/Tonk and Harry/Ginny both seemed odd. Ron/Lavender seemed more likely to me than either of them, but I still didn't like it.  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff