Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Sign the No Phone Zone Pledge Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sign?
  YES
  No
View Results

Rinoa Hatake

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:00 am
It's illegal here and everyone still does it... My husband keeps wanting to go to the car, punch them, or take the phone and throw it. Stomping on them would help too. I keep telling him he wants to pull cell hijacking Grand Theft Auto style. (You know how in the video game you walk up to the car and punch the people out and then steal the car...? xD)  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:49 am
Rinoa Hatake
It's illegal here and everyone still does it... My husband keeps wanting to go to the car, punch them, or take the phone and throw it. Stomping on them would help too. I keep telling him he wants to pull cell hijacking Grand Theft Auto style. (You know how in the video game you walk up to the car and punch the people out and then steal the car...? xD)
I fully support your husband in wanting to do such. 3nodding  

wo_nyrmo

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:29 pm
GRAND THEFT AUTO: Cell Phone Wars

Hey, I'd play that.  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:28 pm
I won't lie and say I haven't texted short messages a few times (Like three times in total in the last few years) when driving, but I tried to make sure no one was around me at least, so if I ******** up, I was the one that got ******** up instead of someone else. XD;
I don't really do it anymore. I hardly talk on my cell phone in the car. Usually, the only time I do/did is when I am/was lost. XD Kind of needed my mom to tell me where to go.

I never see the point of pledges. Usually, people are just going to do what they want regardless of whatever they signed or didn't. o:  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:01 pm
PainfullyVivid
I never see the point of pledges. Usually, people are just going to do what they want regardless of whatever they signed or didn't. o:

True, but for certain people, having a goal in writing (especially among numbers) really helps to send the message home in their mind that it's important and needs to be remembered. ...then again I'm really absent-minded when it comes to priorities, so I'm always writing down the most menial tasks like taking out the trash sweatdrop So perhaps I just see the whole pledge thing differently.

It's still ultimately up to the person to change, and humans are godawfully habitual in nature, but I do believe pledges have a way of curbing that habit at least for some.  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:16 am
A was in a car with a guy yesterday who could roll a cigarette while driving... I was going to say something but he still had his hands on the wheel and did the entire thing in about 5 seconds, must get a lot of practise as he's a delivery driver.  

scrub
Crew

Jyu

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 am
I text while driving all the time, I'm sorry. Only at red lights, but I do. Talking on the phone is rare, and I have a bluetooth headset for when I need to.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:19 am
Using a hand-held mobile device while driving is against the law in Australia.  

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:34 am
Mezri
Using a hand-held mobile device while driving is against the law in Australia.

Yep.

The guy i have been dating got a fine for it. He is Canadian and apparently it's legal to do it over there.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:29 am
Too bad about the fine, but it should be against the law. In Newzealand it's against the law to use any electronic device.  

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:10 am
Even headsets are too distracting. Hearing what's going on around you is part of being aware.
I don't mean to sound preachy, but I lost several of my family when their car was smashed by a truck driver who was distracted. I was a kid at the time, so it was before cell phones were everywhere, but all I know is that it was ruled the driver's fault, not a mechanical error or anything. He was distracted and killed 4 people. Therefore I cannot forgive anyone driving while distracted by anything. I know some people who can't even drive while talking to the person sitting next to them. I've had to yell at them to keep their eyes on the ******** road. DX  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:22 pm
If my phone rings while I'm driving, I wait until it's safe to pull in somewhere to either answer it, or call back.

I can't understand why anyone would want to kill themselves, fishing around for a phone, when the call may not even be important.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 am
Szen
Even headsets are too distracting. Hearing what's going on around you is part of being aware.
I don't mean to sound preachy, but I lost several of my family when their car was smashed by a truck driver who was distracted. I was a kid at the time, so it was before cell phones were everywhere, but all I know is that it was ruled the driver's fault, not a mechanical error or anything. He was distracted and killed 4 people. Therefore I cannot forgive anyone driving while distracted by anything. I know some people who can't even drive while talking to the person sitting next to them. I've had to yell at them to keep their eyes on the ******** road. DX

In your situation, i can completely understand your reaction <3  
The Suites

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces