Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
4e Discussion: Daily Powers Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:12 am
Rain Yupa
Are there that many Reliable powers that aren't martial? I didn't think there was. Any, that is.

According to the Copendium, there are 129 powers with the reliable keyword. Most of these are martial, but there are others for Arcana, Divine, etc.
Quote:

And I can see if you houseruled the extended rest rules, that that would work. Generally though, it's hard for most games that are high combat to recuperate that quickly (12 hours in between each 6 hour rest). Playing through a published adventure, most of it is straight dungeon. Yes, we could hunker down and barricade ourselves in and rest, but then we need to spend the next 12 hours without running out of surges and making our lone daily powers last until that period is up.

Its like I said, daily powers are the cream of the crop. You need to be careful how you use them, because unless you're a wizard, you only get three (not counting utilities).

Quote:
Constant low rolls on non-reliable daily powers is generally a downer. Hence, my concern.

But as I said in my last post, boosts in accuracy has helped the player tremendously.

As I mentioned previously, the difference between dailies and encounters are that most dailies have a miss effect, or rather, something still happens despite not hitting with a daily.

Quote:
Using daily powers "wisely" really is bad advice, however. Saving your daily power for the time you need it most, or the most climatic battle of the encounter, and blowing your roll each time has little to do with wisdom. The whole intention of this discussion is to 1.) Assist players who are a tad unlucky, and 2.) Encourage players to use their daily powers more, knowing that they might have the opportunity to get them back. More the first than the second.

No, no, and NO. You encourage your players to use their encounter powers more often than their dailies, since you get those back much quicker. If your players are blowing one daily per encounter, that's fine, but you don't burn through all three. You won't complete adventures that way.

Quote:
But this is just a discussion thread, to see if anyone had any clever ideas or unique houserules that the rest of us might not have considered.

If you're worried about your players not hitting with their dailies, you could always grant them a reroll at the cost of a healing surge. Might not be the best option to go with, but it worked out well for my group.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:40 am
The other great things about dailies are ones which activate a significant class ability. The multitude of Stance power(which are mainly Utility and don't use rolls at all), The Rage powers of a barbarian, or the Warden's Form powers and Battlemind's Aspect powers enhance your character for the remainder of battle whether you hit or not with the attack.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas