Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I WANNA READ THIS GODDAMN BOOK SO BAD. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am raging.
  Buy the book.
View Results

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:04 am
I actually prefer a hard copy to an ebook. I think a good book is one of life's pleasures, and I take pride in actually owning a good book.

And then there's the fact that ebooks kill my iPhone's battery...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:30 pm
comfortably_dumb
I am reading Stephen King's On Writing currently.

BEST WRITING BOOK IN THE WORLD RIGHT THERE
I found it by accident, and loved every sentence.
Plus, the little bit how he met his wife is just the sweetest thing.
:3

@topic:
I'll take a physical copy of a book any day.
Actual books you can take with you places easily and lightly.
E-books you need a Kindle or a lap-top.
Plus, physical books don't need to be charged or plugged into a device to be read.  

Ryu Redwings

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 pm
The main reason I want an e-book reader is so I can read easier while lying down in bed and have a large portable collection.

You know when you're at the beginning or end of a book, so one half is too thin to support the weight of the book. Meaning if you want to roll over you have to awkwardly hold the book or just stay lying on one side getting uncomfortable.

They're also not like looking at a screen. They use screens without backlights, designed to be readable with no strain on your eyes. All of the LCD ones I know of don't actually use any power at all until you flip a page.
The actually lettering is the same as a book imo, just the background isn't paper textured.

They're not going to break from a splash of water, they are water resistant. In fact I would argue that they'd recover better than a book, you can wipe them off where as with a book you have to dry it out properly or the page will tear when you turn it.

Yes... they do cost at least £100 where as a book cost £7, but that's understandable and not really that expensive considering.

I like the Sony ones because they can format PDF files and text documents into an actual readable document formatted like any other ebook you use.

And I'm not talking about the iPad at all... because its not an ebook reader.

There is the nostalgia but it's not like I would throw away all my old books, I just don't have a problem with change smile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:40 pm
de.Lici.ous
Renard Muldrake
Tus Ojos Oscuros..
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

I don't understand the fascination with electronic books. Can someone explain it to me?

~*~

In a really-not-that-weird sort of way,
I like having the ability to feel paper and flip the page.
I like being able to tell where I am in a book.

D: Sometimes, I like the feeling of not looking at a screen.
I'm with you, I love actual physical books.
When you pick up an old, well worn book you've read a thousand times, it feels comfortable.
There's also just something wonderful about turning a page.
And books smell. Those little e-reader deals are just plastic, scentless plastic, you can smell the paper of a book, & the things permeating that paper. When you pick up a book, you can smell it, & be reminded of something from years ago, by that scent.
Also, I write in my books, many of my books are filled with little notes to myself, & whatnot. Can't do that on an e-reader.
Plus, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, & when I'm feeling particularly douchey, I can be an elitist, & mock those who prefer digital books, to I suppose... analog books.

Mmmmm, book smell <3
I'm all for what everyone said about paper books being awesome xD
One day, when real books are phased out and books are only available as electronic data, I'm going to cuddle my book collection and give it lots of love (:
~*~

Book smell <3

Whenever my sister and I wander into Barnes and Noble (book store over here. Dunno how big they are, internationally speaking. Anyone else have 'em?), we get a few steps in before we stop completely and just inhale.
A lot of our old books have it, too.
We have this copy of Great Expectations that just feels good. It's like, perfect size and shape when you hold it. And it smells soooooo good.

~*~

Den Dristige Djevelen

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Den Dristige Djevelen
de.Lici.ous
Renard Muldrake
Tus Ojos Oscuros..
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

I don't understand the fascination with electronic books. Can someone explain it to me?

~*~

In a really-not-that-weird sort of way,
I like having the ability to feel paper and flip the page.
I like being able to tell where I am in a book.

D: Sometimes, I like the feeling of not looking at a screen.
I'm with you, I love actual physical books.
When you pick up an old, well worn book you've read a thousand times, it feels comfortable.
There's also just something wonderful about turning a page.
And books smell. Those little e-reader deals are just plastic, scentless plastic, you can smell the paper of a book, & the things permeating that paper. When you pick up a book, you can smell it, & be reminded of something from years ago, by that scent.
Also, I write in my books, many of my books are filled with little notes to myself, & whatnot. Can't do that on an e-reader.
Plus, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, & when I'm feeling particularly douchey, I can be an elitist, & mock those who prefer digital books, to I suppose... analog books.

Mmmmm, book smell <3
I'm all for what everyone said about paper books being awesome xD
One day, when real books are phased out and books are only available as electronic data, I'm going to cuddle my book collection and give it lots of love (:
~*~

Book smell <3

Whenever my sister and I wander into Barnes and Noble (book store over here. Dunno how big they are, internationally speaking. Anyone else have 'em?), we get a few steps in before we stop completely and just inhale.
A lot of our old books have it, too.
We have this copy of Great Expectations that just feels good. It's like, perfect size and shape when you hold it. And it smells soooooo good.

~*~
Barnes, & Noble's are all about the place 'round here.
But, you know. That is just a few states over.

Nothing's better than a book that just fits in your hand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 am
We don't have that store as far as I know, but I knew it was a book store (:
We should start a secret book-sniffing cult type thing.  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

Serov

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:43 am
I want an audio book of that.

-got a new ipod shuffle-  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 am
that sounds like a hilarious book ill have to look it up when im done with the books im reading now i try to limit it to 5 books at a time.  

BogiePop

Shameless Smoker

13,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm
de.Lici.ous
We don't have that store as far as I know, but I knew it was a book store (:
We should start a secret book-sniffing cult type thing.
Totally, sniff books. Wear robes. Imbibe fluids. Dance naked around fires. Sniff more books. It'd rock.  
The Suites

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff