Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
L5R - Jade Legacy OOC thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 134 135 136 137 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm
Raganui Minamoto
I found the 3rd edition L5R... can't find this AEG d10...

L5R has editions too. Does the cover look like this?

I wanted to differentiate that this L5R is different than the d20 "Oriental Adventures".  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm
If ya teach me to play, I'll do anything.

I have no experience with this medium, I haven't even heard of it till this point.  

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 pm
How much DO you know of fuedal Japan's culture?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 pm
A lot.

I mean the roleplay system itself.

I understand Feudal Japan just fine.

I'm not Historian, but I know the land. Honor, respect, cool swords.

I got that down.  

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 pm
Then yeah, the system is mostly summarized in my post at the bottom of page 1.

There is no "random character generation". Everything is effectively point buy, but with a lot of leeway about what you CAN buy. You start off with all your Traits (and Rings) at 2 each (but two traits are boosted by your Family and School), and a handful of skills already trained to 1-2 ranks, depending on your Clan and School. From there, you get 45 points, which can be used to increase your rings further, train more skills, buy advantages, get points back with disadvantages (up to 10), learn Kata (specialized fighting techniques) if you're a Bushi, or Kiho if you're a Monk.

It's time for me to crash for the night, so over this weekend I'll be elaborating more about the system and how it plays. It'd be incredibly useful though if you COULD find a copy of the hardcover book, or a PDF of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 pm
I should be able to find a copy.

I'll be back!

With a book!  

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 pm
Indeed it does.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:01 pm
Now, I think I owe the newcomers a blurb about clans.

There are 8 major clans (and an NPC clan, the "Spider" clan. Unless I'm feeling feisty, they probably won't ever come up, so don't worry about it). Each clan has 4 different schools and numerous families associated with it. Here's a brief rundown:

-----------------

The CRAB Clan

The Crab are a somewhat misunderstood and partially disliked clan - but mainly to those who are too short-sighted to see their worth. Like all clans, they do get involved with matters concerning the entire empire. However, more than any other clan, the Crab are the most dedicated to protecting Rokugan from threats eminating from the Shadowlands - a forsaken wasteland beyond the borders where all sorts of manners of creatures emanate from. In fact, if one was careless, just being IN the Shadowlands can infect a person with Taint that will eventually consume them from the inside and turn them into a monster. If they're lucky.

The Crab are a hearty people, who take it upon themselves to defend the Kaiu Wall, a massive structure built to separate Rokugan from the Shadowlands. Attacks against the wall occur on a regular enough basis where sometimes assaults will last days at a time. As such, times are quiet probably cause more unrest with the Crab than times of battle.

The Crab tend to be a bit on the large side, with heavier musculature than most other clans. To be a member of the Crab Clan, is to be Enduring. You are misunderstood by most, but it is your honorable, selfless sacrifice that keeps Rokugan safe, so the other clans can bicker and squabble over meaningless things.

The Families

The Hida family is the ruling family of the Crab clan, known for their size and ferocity. As barbaric as they seem, they fully realize the importance of all samurai serving the Emperor, and the importance of sacrifice.

The Hiruma family was one that had their lands, located outside the Kaiu wall, conquered by the forces of the Shadowlands. Since joining the Crab, their lands have been retaken, but the threat of history repeating is ever high. They have little time for joviality, since danger for them is ever present. They tend to be a bit more lean than the Hida, but nevertheless, still have powerful builds.

The Kaiu family are a family of engineers, smiths, and siege masters. They lean less towards violent means to violent ends, and focus more on mastering the art of war. They aren't quite warriors and aren't quite scholars, but something in between. As such, they lack much of the scars of battle, though they have the physiques to earn them if they wish to.

The Kuni family are a mysterious, and sometimes questionable, one. They train hard to be potent Shugenja for the Crab, though they have a more directed specialty than most other Shugenja families - the study and elimination of the Shadowlands. They often have an unsettling air about them; mainly due to the heavy, ghastly makeup they wear.

The Toritaka family (formally the Falcon Clan) swore fealty to the Crab when their lands were threatened by supernatural forces they couldn't handle. Their lands aren't threatened by the Shadowlands so much as the Spirit Realms, due to the barriers being unusually worn in the area. They are bushi who are more practiced at combating ghosts and specters than monsters.

The Yasuki family was formally of the Crane clan, and are brilliant traders and businessmen by trade. Whereas their fellow Crab are more focused on war and defense, the Yasuki are the ones who keep them adequately supplied. Their contributions to the Crab are thinly veiled, but are important beyond measure.

The Schools

The Hida Bushi school is the primary school for warrior samurai of the Crab clan. Their specialty is to endure - they get bonuses for wearing heavy armor, and for withstanding damage. Hida Bushi is a school for you if you want to be unstoppable.

The Kuni Shugenja school is the Crab's magical arts academy. As useful as they can be compared to any other Shugenja, they get direct benefits when learning and casting spells that target hinder or damage enemies from the Shadowlands - or Imperial citizens who have been consumed by Taint.

The Yasuki Courtier school is the primo economical school for courtiers. When it comes to matters of business, the courtiers of this school are unparalleled, gaining advantages to the necessary skills. And to the defenses against people trying to outdo you in these matters.

The Hiruma Scout School is a bushi school that focuses on speed and stealth, more than brute strength. They are resourceful, able to survive for great times in hostile territory - ANY hostile territory - better than anyone else.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 pm
The CRANE Clan

The Crane is a well-liked and well-known clan. Often known as the Emperor's Left Hand, the Hand of Peace, they are political, graceful, and beautiful. To be a member of the Crane clan means to be Elegant in all things you do. Most Crane dye their hair white, and tend to wear impressive clothing at all times.

Crane are usually involved in all major events throughout Rokugan - sometimes to the dismay of the other clans. They have a sense of superiority about them, both in combat and in court. If possible, they prefer to solve problems with words before action, but they are by no means hesitant to resort to their blades.

The Crane are famous for their sword-drawing techniques, tried and true methods developed at the dawn of the Empire over a thousand years ago. To best a Crane Samurai in a duel is truly an accomplishment.

The Families

The Asahina family is the Crane Shugenja family. Their founder formally of the Phoenix Clan, the Asahina are extremely peaceful casters, to the point of reckless pacifism. They are humble as far as Crane go, and are more interested in the beneficial, nonviolent uses of magic.

The Daidoji family are proud defenders of the primary Doji family, serving as their yojimbo and enforcers. Extremely honorable warriors, they are also extremely resourceful, famous for turning the terrain against their foes with ease. Forever vigilant, they are elite warriors of the Crane, and of the Imperial Families too.

The Doji family is the lead family of the Crane, they have been striving to civilize Rokugan since it's beginning. Their warriors and artisans are equally remarkable to behold, and have the most political influence of any family. In addition, they have the most direct ties with Imperial families, and the Emperor traditionally takes his wife from his family.

The Kakita family are the expert swordsmen of the Crane, specializing in the sword-drawing techniques of their namesake to the point of perfection. Despite their martial training, they consider themselves artisans, not warriors. They have an ongoing feud with the Matsu family of the Lion clan. Kakita are the only members of the Clan who don't always bleach their hair.

The Schools

The Kakita Bushi School is the most famous swordsmanship school in the Empire; some of the greatest masters in history learned here. Speed is their specialty; both in reaction time, and with the velocity of their attacks. They are more adept at mastering the sword-drawing dueling art of Iaijutsu than any other school.

The Asahina Shugenja School is the Crane school of magic, and the family's deep philosophy of peace definitely reflects in their teachings. Asahina get bonuses to non-damaging spells, with the lone exception of attacking Tainted opponents.

The Doji Courtier School is one with deep roots in honor. When dealing with most social situations, honorable Doji Courtiers have a distinct advantage. They also have a developed talent of trading favors unseen in any other Courtier school.

The Daidoji Yojimbo School is a bushi school that adapts the Crane's excelling sense of honor as the very foundation of their drive to fight. Defensive by nature, they choose to act only when absolutely necessary; but when they do, their actions are sure and exact, leaving no doubts nor possibility for failure.

================

((More tomorrow!))  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:14 pm
I have the d10 version of it, AEG, I take it? Didn't know there was a d20 version, unless that's the Oriental Adventures 3.5 module. Either way, I read through the clans, and if I play, I'd most probably play a Lion bushi from the Matsu family. Maybe Akodo, but most probably Matsu.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 pm
Yes, Oriental Adventures 3.5 module is the d20 version I had mentioned. Same setting, different system.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm
Isn't OA a bastardized version of L5R? Either way, not sure how many people would go back to 3.5 to play OA. I wouldn't mind, in fact I have a character in my Myth Weavers account made that was meant to be played in a OA game that didn't go too far, but L5R would probably be best.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 pm
OA also uses DnD rules.

Yea.

So... I wonder what clan I will be... hmm... hey, are any of them really good at Iaijutsu and being fast strikers?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 pm
Raganui Minamoto
OA also uses DnD rules.

Yea.

So... I wonder what clan I will be... hmm... hey, are any of them really good at Iaijutsu and being fast strikers?
I think that role falls on the Crane, not sure though. If it IS a Crane... you and I will not get along if I play a Lion.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Agent Sinistra

Dangerous Genius

7,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:28 am
Hmm... I'm currently thinking of playing a Pheonix Shugenja (Isawa family). Thoughts/suggestions/etc?  
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 134 135 136 137 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff