Reply General Discussion
Gaia Disappoints Me Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:08 pm
It's really up to the writer how long the summary it is. For me, I'm use to writing short summaries because of the character limit on FictionPress. You obviously don't want to tell the whole story in the summary, but it still needs to be enough information to make the reader interested in knowing more and/or in what happens.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:24 pm
Lyvidian

What I'm into (life issues/romance stories) doesn't seem to have a huge fan base here. I know there are romance stories posted on the forums here, but all the ones I've seen so far are yaoi/yuri, and that's also something I've grown out of.

This may seem strangely off-topic. (Can a general discussion be off-topic? Hm...) But I'd really appreciate it you didn't say "grown out of", but "lost interest in". It's a pet peeve of mine.

See, to me, to say "lost interest in" is a simple matter of admitting your interests have changed. Which is perfectly natural and acceptable.

While to say "Grown out of" is putting down your previous interest/hobby. It's basically saying you're too mature to enjoy it now. Since there's nothing mature about putting down a hobby/interest others enjoy, that makes the person writing/saying seem very immature instead. I don't mean to attack you, like I said it's my personal pet peeve.

On topic, I'm new to gaia. I suppose because I am a working adult with bills to pay, I don't really see Gaia's cash as expensive. In fact a friend and I were discussing how affordable it is. I can buy a milkshake or gaia cash. Neither is something tangible I can hold onto for a long time, both bring me enjoyment. LOL

So far I haven't had too bad an experience in the forums. That is to say, no more than anywhere else. If they were once "better", I have no experience to draw on.  

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:56 pm
Beware that this will be an incoherent jumble of thoughts and responses to the above comments:

I recently joined Gaia in 2008. Even then, the minimum donation was $2:50, and it's doubled since then. My mom knows I Gaia but she never buys me the cash cards anyway, so it get's pretty annoying when the good things to buy are either 10 bucks or 20 million gaia gold.

The art and writing forums are extremely slow, and even if you do get a reply, it's mean and extremely critical. That's one of the main reasons I joined this guild. I accept critisism, but you don't have to rub it in my face that I did a horrible job at something.

I don't really care for summaries. I love to read, so I don't really care if there's a summary or not. To me, stories in the forums are as if a friend were reading a story aloud to me: you're just going to have to figure it out on the way. Plus, it adds the element of surprise to me.

I think it's kind of mean to call people n00bs. They're still getting used to the sight, and some may be mean, but there's no reason to shun them from the community. We were all n00bs at one point, am I right? Now there is a difference between n00bs and spammers. I would feel the same way if people were spamming up the rp forums, but they're not the same as n00bs. I also think it's kind of mean to have them all shunned from the community. That's not the gaians job to shun everybody. You simply report, ignore, and that's it.

I started getting into romance after reading the Hunger Games series. In fact, between you and me, I had a few dreams about Peeta in between reading these books. It's probably because my life has yet to feel the joy of having another person in your life. Even so, it's kind of creepy that I would have dreams about a fictional character. I definetely think that they should make different genre sub-forums under writing, so it'll be much easier to just pick what you want to read. That's what we should do in this guild biggrin . And then combinations of genre can just go under General Writing.

I totally wish that they would make a system to keep track of your posts in guilds just like you can in forums. It's almost like they're trying to lure you out of guilds now-a-days. To me, I think more guilds are forming to get good quality people to spend time with, and leave all the spammers behind.

I definetely think it would be nice to try roleplaying. I tried to a few months ago, but felt the searing pain of being shunned by several guilds for being a "n00b".

I kind of like the new updates that Gaia has made with the MyGaia page and the new toolbar. It's probably because I got that app from the Gaia Labs that allows you to change the color of the toolbar. I think the MyGaia page is better because of the Notices. Before that, I always missed out on a good conversation, because the Notices now are way more up to date.

It's definetely quite annoying that Gaia uses flash so much. I can't even access my house because my computer doesn't have the "latest flash" Bleh.

Hey, don't discriminate against the "youngsters". We were all there once 3nodding .

AAAAAAAAAAND... finished! blaugh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:01 pm
If you want to try roleplaying without being branded a n00b I suggest the Roleplay Refuge. It's where a quite a few of us came from.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:06 pm
ColorfulCrayonsOfContent
We were all n00bs at one point, am I right?

Ah that is where you are wrong razz Not everyone was a n00b, but everyone was at once a newb(or newbie) I for one have never been a n00b *feels proud* but I was deffo a newb XD
I mean you could have been around for YEARS and still be a n00b XD
difference between n00b and newb is the lack of maturity/reasoning/intelligence so on so on lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:35 pm
Xiao Xianyu
This may seem strangely off-topic. (Can a general discussion be off-topic? Hm...) But I'd really appreciate it you didn't say "grown out of", but "lost interest in". It's a pet peeve of mine.

See, to me, to say "lost interest in" is a simple matter of admitting your interests have changed. Which is perfectly natural and acceptable.

While to say "Grown out of" is putting down your previous interest/hobby. It's basically saying you're too mature to enjoy it now. Since there's nothing mature about putting down a hobby/interest others enjoy, that makes the person writing/saying seem very immature instead. I don't mean to attack you, like I said it's my personal pet peeve.

On topic, I'm new to gaia. I suppose because I am a working adult with bills to pay, I don't really see Gaia's cash as expensive. In fact a friend and I were discussing how affordable it is. I can buy a milkshake or gaia cash. Neither is something tangible I can hold onto for a long time, both bring me enjoyment. LOL

So far I haven't had too bad an experience in the forums. That is to say, no more than anywhere else. If they were once "better", I have no experience to draw on.

Never thought of it that way. I hear everyone say "grew out of" so it's what came to mind while typing. I'll keep that in mind though. =]  

Lyvidian

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:41 pm
@ ColorfulCrayonsOfContent: I've had dreams with fictional characters... I always wake up sad because they're fictional. TT~TT  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:42 pm
Ohhh, that makes SOO much more sense. In that case, n00bs suck lol. I take back everything I said whee  

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:47 pm
Lyvidian
@ ColorfulCrayonsOfContent: I've had dreams with fictional characters... I always wake up sad because they're fictional. TT~TT

Agreed. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:50 pm
ColorfulCrayonsOfContent
Lyvidian

Agreed. crying

Also agreed. First sex dream ever involved a fictional character - for the life of me, I can't remember who.

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:52 pm
Eylios
ColorfulCrayonsOfContent
Lyvidian

Agreed. crying

Also agreed. First sex dream ever involved a fictional character - for the life of me, I can't remember who.

Although I agree over simply having dreams involving these characters, usually with me actually being in the story, I've yet to have the... pleasure (?) of having a sex dream with a fictional character. He must've been a nice guy lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:59 pm
lol  

Lyvidian

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:21 pm
Eylios
ColorfulCrayonsOfContent
Lyvidian

Agreed. crying

Aha! you know I don't think I've had one with a fictional character, WAIT! yeah lol... I do remeber who as well XD, Maho Minami  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:28 pm
@ Giyari: I don't think my imagination is good enough to give an anime character real life looks in a dream. >_> All the fictional characters I've had in my dreams are from movies or TV shows. Sylar from HEROES is probably my most dreamed about fictional character. Love those dreams. <3 XD;  

Lyvidian

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:28 pm

I feel like I'm late on the game on joining in this discussion. I skimmed over everyone's reply.

I've been here since 2005, off and on. The Art & Writing forums are very slow, and they are rather critical of people. I stay out of that area anymore.

There's still good people out there. You need to find easy going threads and guilds. That's why I joined here - seemed like a great place to be on Gaia.

I both understand and dislike the cash shop. I don't want to spend real money for something like that (at least as of right now). I think it'd be different if I had money to spare, but I'm in college and scraping by. I've never bought an item with cash and I don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

But, I understand the need for Gaia to make some sort of income to keep everything running. They already have ads, but probably needed a bit more to do well with the site.

I don't call people n00bs, but I there's supposed to be a difference between newbies and n00bs. I think certain people use the terms interchangeably. A newbie someone who is new and inexperienced, and a n00b is someone who spams and runs a muck in other ways. That's what I've always understood.

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff