Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stephenie Meyer?
Poopy.
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
If it was legal I would hunt down the woman myself.
24%
 24%  [ 18 ]
Twilight=Bad. Her other books=good.
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
I think that she's a really inspirational person and I love the way she does her books. She's amazing. A true life changer.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Enough with Stephenie. Let's talk about cookies.
20%
 20%  [ 15 ]
Who the heck is this Stephenie Meyer chick?
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Well, according to my mathematical calculations and judging by the exact angle that my shadow is angeling down towards my brown-colored carpet, it would be concluded that I want Gold.
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 74

Scraps 2-point-0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 am
Eh. In the way you describe, I wouldn't say she is the genius here. It's her marketing team. So many other writers have done this cheap Romeo and Juliet ripoff and not gotten anywhere. But hey, at least she's getting young girls to read, as anti-feminist as her stories are.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:42 am
I read Twilight and suffered through New Moon because I was given them by friends. I'm sorry, but the writing contained in both novels was so bad it was painful. Her characters go beyond uninteresting to being annoying. The histories she then gives them does not logically match up with the characterizations she gives them. And, as other posters have mentioned, the basis for this all is an abusive relationship she sells as a fantastic romance.

Do I respect her for creating a fan base? Let's see, when one creates a fan base, I can only assume that said fans emulate what that person has written/created. So she's inspiring lots of people to view abuse as affection, and that true love means being unable to function normally in society if the said person leaves you for a few months. And let's not forget that when one's significant other is dead, it's perfectly natural to consider and attempt suicide.

No, I'd really rather have gone through life being completely and blissfully unaware of the fact that people would actually consider any of the above normal, good, or want it in their own lives. So obviously respecting her for it is completely out of the question.

/rant  

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:30 am
Okay, the following will be an incoherent rant about Stephanie Meyer and indirect things associated with her. Prepare yourselves...

@Isacean - That bit you said about the book making you kinda happy has happened to me as well. I've only read Twilight, and it was soo boring and idiotic, but it's like a f***ing drug! I would like totally forget everything happening around me and was late to class three times through the duration of the book. I do plan to read the other 3, to see if I agree with my Vampire obsessed friends that it's awesome, or my other friends that say it is a piece of s**t.

@Exarielle BlackLaw - I have to agree that Edward is definetely a stalker. When I saw that in the movie and Bella didn't react, I was thinking perv! It's supposed to be a romance, but to me it's a perv-mance. (yeah, pretty bad pun. I know)

@Joshishi No Kitsune - I don't see why anybody would be on "Team Nasty Greasy Man". I really liked Robert in the Harry Potter movies, but ever since Twilight he looks more like a celebrity hobo. I hate it when people go "OMG! Edward is sooo HOT!" He's not even like pale in the movies. He's GRAY. I do have to admit that Taylor Lautner is quite handsome. I've watched Shark Boy & Lava Girl like 50 times, despite the horrible special effects haha. I also have to admit that I enjoy all the jokes about him not owning a shirt. (it's not that bad that he doesn't have one xd )

@Daemon McRae - "daemon mcrae - I'll nuke you till your babies glow. Up until twilight I never noticed how freaking many there are but every week at B&N, there are like, 5 new ones in the new release section. grenade me. grenade me, now."

The first sentence was quite funny, just to let you know. The second thing you said is totally agreed on. When I first heard about Twilight, I was like "hey, maybe vampires aren't that bad!" Now I despise them. There's this group of girls at my school that I bet have read every book on vampires on the face of this Earth every since Twilight. Every day they have a new vampire shirt on. I have a strong erge to slap them in the face and tell them to freakin' snap out of it. When I was reading Twilight and brought the book to school, they would sprint up to me and go, "how many times have you read it?" and I'd say, "once", and they'd literally shudder in discust and go, "I can't believe you've only read it once! I've read the entire series 3 times. Beat that." Another girl told me she read it 9 times. I mean, jeez!

@foxy_chick99_123 - My mom read the bit about Edward's perspective and when she told me that she stopped writing it, I was confused. Why did she freak out so bad about it getting leaked? Everyone was going to read it anyway. And plus, it was only like, 50 pages. So what's the big deal! Keep it hidden if you don't want anybody to read it next time.

I went to the movies to see Eclipse at midnight when it came out. The whole day my friend and I watched the first two movies and made Team Jacob shirts to make fun of the people. I'm not even joking, when the movie started, everybody started screaming, including guys, and every time somebody had misplaced their shirt, there would be even more screaming. It was the worst movie ever! Just like the rest. Bella twitches and is like a total creep. Edward is ugly. Jacob is a freakin' WOLF.

I watched the Eclipse promotion on Opera and I noticed something. Kristen Stewart is NOT an actor. She's plays herself. When Opera asked everyone what they do on Saturday nights, these were the responses:

Kristen: I'm usually hangin' out with my cat dramallama
Taylor (I thought this was kinda cute): Well I like to watch TV. I watch American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, etc.
Robert (awesome accent): I'm usually calling every single person in my phone book because nobody invites me anywhere!

You could tell that Taylor and Robert are really outgoing and they were making jokes the whole time, but Kristen was acting like a total weirdo. And then there was this part where Taylor had to go around and invite people to see Opera. He went to a fraternity house where this one girl's bed had Jacob blankets and like the weirdo she is she said, "If you lay in this position, it looks like you're having sex with him!" CREEP! You couldn't even see the walls they were so filled with posters. They dedicated a whole room to Twilight, and watched all the movies every Friday night. They learned the entire dialogue.

-----

*5 hours later* *Panting* I think I'm done with my extremely long rant...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:23 pm
I tried to read Twilight once.

I got about three pages in before I wanted to chuck the book at the wall. It's got horrible writing, bricks have more personality than Bella, and Edward is a creeper.

Now, WOULDN'T YOU RATHER TALK ABOUT FLOWERS? /Dnyarri  

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Napatoria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:58 pm
I give credit to how far she's gotten. She has gone DAMn far.

I respect her, but that is the average respect I give to absolutely everybody. I haven't gotten the chance to read her books (not that I want to...) nor her movies, but something in the pit of my tummy says I won't like them. I've read host ( I think thats the english tiltle, I read it in spanish) and I didnt last the half of the book. It was BORING. And it has nothing to do with the fact that that book was directed to an elder audience.

Point is: I really, really don't like her work.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:12 pm
Allow me to add nothing to this topic by saying that I haven't read her books nor watched the films, and I have no real want to either. I don't care about the fangirls so long as they stay away from me. And to finish on a simple statement. Stay the f*** out of my life. I don't want you.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Todd186

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:00 pm
Now I don't approve of book burning at all. I actually want to beat people who do that, but if we just threw all the copies of SMeyers "Vampire" books in several trashcans and gave the cans to hobos, I could turn the other cheek. Plus, her books would finally be good for something and not be brainwashing teenage girls into thinking they "need a man".

I do want to bang SMeyer's head up against a wall though. I think it might get whatever insect is controlling her brain out. Y'know, the insect that makes her think she's a good writer, that she is a writer, that's she's worked so hard to accomplish something that many writers work their whole damn lives to do, and that she's given the world a gift. I really sometimes think she's possessed by an otherwordly demon or lifeforce. There is no way that she's earned what she has.

Also, someone said before that she doesn't deserve the harsh criticism she gets. Why not? She doesn't see any of it anyway. She doesn't know how to recieve criticism. If she did, she might actually improve on her writing skills instead of typing s**t that only half-minded fools could give a damn about. No, it's her brother, Seth that keeps the criticism away from her and makes sure that insect keeps doing what it's doing.

I think the world would be a much better place without SMeyer. And that's the way I see it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:02 pm
ColorfulCrayonsOfContent
He went to a fraternity house where this one girl's bed had Jacob blankets and like the weirdo she is she said, "If you lay in this position, it looks like you're having sex with him!" CREEP! You couldn't even see the walls they were so filled with posters. They dedicated a whole room to Twilight, and watched all the movies every Friday night. They learned the entire dialogue.

jesus christ.

velvetsophisticate

Shadyness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:40 pm
I read Twilight my Senior year of high school (4 years ago) before it really took off as this phenomenon. It was nothing impressive and I didn't think of it again until a couple of years ago when this frenzy really took off. These links explain my thoughts on the subject:

Here's the one about the domestic violence stuff http://current.com/entertainment/movies/91544310_twilight-promoting-abusive-relationships-and-female-submission.htm

This one gives a bit about the sexism http://www.alternet.org/sex/140132/vampires,_werewolves,_and_"scary"_female_sexuality:_the_sexist_world_of_twilight/

This is just a little comic, but it pretty much accurately describes how I feel about it all http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I dislike a lot about Twilight. I don't like the story line, I don't like Bella x Edward's relationship, I don't like Meyer's writing style.

Buuuut, I give her a lot of props. She's wrote a book that's become a huge phenomenon, and not many people will ever do that.
Plus, she's earning a lot more money than I ever will.

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

The Moon Wander

Beloved Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm
I read all 4 books because I had nothing else to read... Truth be told I would rather read R.A.Salvators works any day of the weak. He has and will always be my kick in the a** into writing. The twilight sage I found it easy to read, and not very good at holding my attention most times I skipped pages looking for something more interesting to read. I get dragged out to see the movies by my friends and aunt and It just gives me more to make fun of it about.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:23 pm
sessqueen
ColorfulCrayonsOfContent
He went to a fraternity house where this one girl's bed had Jacob blankets and like the weirdo she is she said, "If you lay in this position, it looks like you're having sex with him!" CREEP! You couldn't even see the walls they were so filled with posters. They dedicated a whole room to Twilight, and watched all the movies every Friday night. They learned the entire dialogue.

jesus christ.

I mean I have to admit that I quite enjoy Taylor Lautner, but not enough to brainwash my mind into creating a Twilight paradise. That's just... wrong. Like, for realz. They need a psychiatrist. Big time.  

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 pm
pythonesque

I dislike a lot about Twilight. I don't like the story line, I don't like Bella x Edward's relationship, I don't like Meyer's writing style.

Buuuut, I give her a lot of props. She's wrote a book that's become a huge phenomenon, and not many people will ever do that.
Plus, she's earning a lot more money than I ever will.

In my opinion, she wrote a book that became a huge phenomenom chaos of teenage girls being brainwashed and thinking that abuse is a good relationships. That pervs rock. That to be actually in love you must live and breathe your boyfriend. Stephanine Meyer has created the END. Even worse than 2012.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:16 am
Twilight is NOT the worst book in the world. People hate because so many people like it (what's the point?). I ignore or laugh at the fangirls, and I think it's pathetic to dislike a series because there are so many fans attached.

There are far worse books than Twilight out there. Paolini wrote a series that had worse writing and characters, was a very close outline to Star Wars and had characters extremely similar to LOTR and DROP. Why isn't there a huge backlash against his stuff? Writing is worse, too. Almost elementary. At least Meyers threw some big words in there and had longish sentences.

The fans have died down, really. Who I'm sick of are the bashers that, for some reason, still think it's funny to bash Meyers and her work by writing up disturbing paragraphs about how much they hate/what they would do to the characters.

Also, I can't say I've ever read a book and loved it 'at first' but then 'realized I actually didn't like it because...' I feel that people who say that fell under the hate-twilight pressure because its 'cool'. It's okay to like something that other people dislike. It's okay to admit that you enjoy reading something that a lot of people say bad things about.

I'm not saying that everyone should like Twilight, I'm just sick of hearing 'It's the worst book written' as well as other things along those lines when it's such a stretch it's not even funny.

Bashers should give it a rest. No one cares how much you hate the series and what you think the characters should shove up their arse. People, actually, care about as much as hearing fans rave on and on about why Twilight characters are so awesome! That's right! Bashers have become just as annoying as fangirls! Way to go! I think you've done what you set out to do!

....oh, wait....

/rant

Notes: Sorry if I've offended anyone, really I'm not talking about single people here, so please don't take anything I've said personally.  

SugarRos

Shadyness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:48 am
SugarRos

You should really read the first two links I posted up. It's not the writing I dislike as much as the message.

Also, the reason that people are criticizing the book with such a large following is because it has such a dangerous message. If she had written these books and no one read them would anyone protest it? Probably not, but that's because her message wouldn't be getting across. There are young girls reading these books under the impression that real love is this distorted abusive all-consuming thing. There are moms reading these books reinforcing these ideas in their daughters. My grandma is a huge fan of the series and the links that I posted were copied directly from an e-mail I sent her regarding it.

I don't think it's okay to say that this book is harmless. No book is harmless. In a hundred years no one will remember who Stephanie Meyer is, but there will still be young innocent girls being taken advantage of by this 'women are weak and need to be looked after at all times' mentality that Ms. Meyer and her religion tout.

If you are an adult and you understand the difference between reality and fiction, then by all means, read whatever the hell you like. But there are plenty of people out there that don't understand the difference; they can't draw the line that this is just a book and not how real relationships should ever, EVER work.

I also find it a bit sad that Ms. Meyer's mail is sorted by her brother (something I wasn't aware of before this thread); her particular religious beliefs hold that women should be subservient to men because they are innately lesser humans based on their gender. So it doesn't surprise me that she lets her brother run her life. As an educated, independent, adult female, I have no desire to read these books or watch the movies, I would not want my little sister or daughter reading them either. I wouldn't forbid it obviously, because that would only breed curiosity, but I think we'd have to have a nice long heart to heart about fiction and reality.

So, tl;dr: It's not the books I hate, it's the wide-spread acceptance of an idea that has made women inferior for millenia.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff