Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Yuri Vs Yoai tags Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 pm
Dictionary (so-called proper) usage differs from cultural usage; while they may be defined as male-only, they seem to be fairly unisex in culture. I wouldn't consider this a high priority as far as sexism, really, since the culture those terms stem from is one with fairly rigid traditional gender roles (Japan) and most other cultures and languages have similar masculine and feminine term separation. English is one of the few languages that doesn't have that separation when not dealing with pronouns.

But yeah, go ahead and make your own or collaborate. It'd be interesting if your ideas actually got into mainstream culture.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 am
neko, tachi, teko sweatdrop  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Delusional Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm
You can't use English terms for it?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 am
Okay TL;DR; Let me clear this up for you all. As someone who SPEAKS Japanese AND English.

Seme - 攻め, literally means the "attacker"
Uke - 受け, literally means the "receiver"

Aka, for you English speaking people, It means the Dominate/Top, or Submissive/Bottom. (Seke obviously being Switch)

In JAPANESE the term Seme, Seke, and Uke are applied to Both YAOI and YURI.

Granted, it is not as often heard in reference to yuri EXCEPT in weeaboo/otaku/fan-kid circles.

Summary?
The term is interchangeable for BOTH genders. JUST LIKE the English variant.

Thank you, and good day.  

x311x

7,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100

Don Caballero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 am
Why do we have to have a Name for everything? I mean really, does it matter to put a name to determine whether i take it in the a** or give it?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 pm
Raezer
There actually are yuri equivalents. There's neko (girl uke) and ... Tachi (girl seme). There not well known outside of super-otaku circles, but spread the word and maybe we can get them out there. 3nodding

Interesting. I didn't know they actually existed! Thank you. mrgreen  

Stargirl_Tasha

Girl-Crazy Kitten

9,175 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200

earthowl

Shirtless Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:29 am
She can be both.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 pm
Orion_s Charm
I'm a woman, who is bi. I'm very dominate, and I take a very in charge role sexually. You men get great ways of saying where you stand in the relationship, ie: Seme, Seke, Uke. Yet, I have not seen a set of words that are use in the same way for women. It's not fair, damnit. The definitions describe those roles as being male. Am I just not finding the female equivalent? Or is it true that we simply don't have them? If not, I vote we make some. Women can be dominate, or submissive, or a switch. The idea of women being limited to the use of the direct definitions that a Dominatrix would use, or to apply the words used for the male gender is simply unfair. I say we make this PC!

This might come off as abrasive, but I don't mean it to sound cruel. These are just some issues I have with your original post.

Firstly, you're not a dominate. You're a dominant. You dominate your submissive, that makes you a dominant. Please keep an eye on this one, if/when you start taking part in the bdsm community, you'll notice that people who call themselves 'dominates' usually don't have much attention paid to them.

Secondly, the word 'dominatrix' refers to someone who is paid to dominate others. Being called a dominatrix doesn't mean you're dominant, so much as it means you're a woman who caters to the fetishes of paying clients. I've met a few dominatrixes and most of them aren't all that interested in being dominant outside of their profession. It's work for them, not their life or sexual interest (speaking only from the ones I've met, I'm sure there are others who are out in the bdsm community, etc)

I can't help you with the Japanese words, but I do run into a lot of interesting titles out and about. You might try these words; Domina, domme, dom (the feminine ending isn't necessary), goddess, mistress, miss, Lady, ma'am. I've even encountered those who like to be called sir, master or lord. And I've met one who prefers 'b***h'.  

Lime Kiss

Versatile Lover

4,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Brandisher 100
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers