Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
The term " Gay" being used in a negitave connotation?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:31 pm
I try not to let it bother me but i asked my friends not to do it around me. one says sorry when she slips up around me and hugs me. Its a trend.
its the same with the word retarded. Hate that word also but can't really do anything about. again its a trend.

What i really hate is that my suppose "best friend" stop saying god damn it around her boyfriend because he doesn't like it. but always says "gay" "f**" "faggit" "homo" and so on around me and pisses me off. she thinks i'm joking when i tell her to stop but i've told her i'm serious. AND she still does it.
She called me all those words once. my response that finally got her to stop that day was "i've had a girlfriend before."....wonder what she'll do when she finds out i have a girlfriend now. ^^ XD

i say "thats so hetro" now that pisses alot of people off. its funny.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm
i dont like the fact that it is a trend...i'll admit i say it sometimes too but only really when im beaming with joy and someone asks how im feeling(so in the original use).
however, i just put it under the category of: Things That Probably Wont Change In The World.
probably between ignorants and the kkk.
but its always good to try tho, like, tell your friends(if they decide to listen or not), or anyone else who overly say
:/
*sigh*
people....

Z_Temple

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am
I will rephrase my sentence, you are playing into the hands of weakness and censorship... two things that I personally find to be infinitely more revolting then any single word,

Anyone who looks at language will tell you that words change constantly, starving once meant cold..... Gay was happy but social contexts and the 1920's changed all of that...

BUT it does not matter, just let the word change meaning and forget that it was ever attached to being homosexual..

If someone says the word "Gay" in the commonly accepted modern meaning that is different than "Homosexual" or "Happy", and you are offended... then it is YOU who is ignorant and not them, taking offense and responding with hostility or condescending self-anguish is not them being in the wrong, it is you being in the wrong.

I can understand if someone goes up to you and uses the term "f*****t" in a way that is intended to make you feel offended, but the fact is that ANY word with a potential negative connotation attached to it can hold that same feeling..

Example, "Poopface" I'm sure you either snicker or roll your eyes at the term.. but it holds as much power if used by a person seeking confrontation of a manner in which to degrade you and possibly harm you, not because of the word but because of the action that is taken against you.

Sure it's easier to pull off with "f*****t" but "Poopface" will work perfectly fine if the aggressor is still using the body and linguistic patterns that you associate with hostility.

A word is a word, it conveys something. Someone using a word for offensive reasons based on ignorance is conveying their lesser mentality than you.

I will never bastardize a human being for his choice to express free speech, and I will never tell someone to silence because I find them to be too "Hostile" unless they are maliciously attempting to cause emotional harm to, or intimidate me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 pm
I do feel like that's very rude, but I hear it everyday at school, sometimes even from my teachers. (Freakin' Rednecks) I hear it from my friends, and sometimes I have to ask them to tone it down as far as using words/terms like, "You're Gay" and "Queer" While I know they don't always mean to be offending, it just enrages me. I'm not sure about myself, but my older sister who is one of my fave people in the world is a lesbian. When I hear people say things that are offensive to the gay community, I think about what wonderful people my sister and all her gay or lesbian friends are, and i think "How can they use these words in such a negative context?!" But then again I live in rual Kentucky, and I've really never been to a bigger place where i assume people are more accepting so I can't speak for the real world....  

rockprincess6449

Delusional Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:55 pm
This sort of thing isn't new as far as the evolution of the English language goes. Lame, for example, is now used to talk about things that are uncool. 'Spaz' is a lighthearted thing to call oneself or a friend if they have had a silly moment--at least in America, not so much elsewhere. Some people don't even know what these things mean otherwise (which isn't true for things like 'gay', but even so) or from where they derived. I would try to give some slack to people adopting what has become natural speech.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 pm
I know, I hate it how most trends now a days have something bias, rude, and discriminatory involved. yea, just like you said the word retarded gets used the wrong way too. btw, hetro, haha thats great ill have to use it XD
loveless_in_hell
I try not to let it bother me but i asked my friends not to do it around me. one says sorry when she slips up around me and hugs me. Its a trend.
its the same with the word retarded. Hate that word also but can't really do anything about. again its a trend.

What i really hate is that my suppose "best friend" stop saying god damn it around her boyfriend because he doesn't like it. but always says "gay" "f**" "faggit" "homo" and so on around me and pisses me off. she thinks i'm joking when i tell her to stop but i've told her i'm serious. AND she still does it.
She called me all those words once. my response that finally got her to stop that day was "i've had a girlfriend before."....wonder what she'll do when she finds out i have a girlfriend now. ^^ XD

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm
your right, telling your friends does seem to work.
i told one of my friends and she stopped for years, but now shes back at it crying what can you do.
Z_Temple
i dont like the fact that it is a trend...i'll admit i say it sometimes too but only really when im beaming with joy and someone asks how im feeling(so in the original use).
however, i just put it under the category of: Things That Probably Wont Change In The World.
but its always good to try tho, like, tell your friends(if they decide to listen or not), or anyone else who overly say
*sigh*
people....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 pm
i know, its not that big a deal, but i agree. for some reason it just pisses me off to hear it being used so negatively. truely the word has become so common it doesnt bother me much anymore, but still gonk
rockprincess6449
I do feel like that's very rude, but I hear it everyday at school, sometimes even from my teachers. (Freakin' Rednecks) I hear it from my friends, and sometimes I have to ask them to tone it down as far as using words/terms like, "You're Gay" and "Queer" While I know they don't always mean to be offending, it just enrages me. I'm not sure about myself, but my older sister who is one of my fave people in the world is a lesbian. When I hear people say things that are offensive to the gay community, I think about what wonderful people my sister and all her gay or lesbian friends are, and i think "How can they use these words in such a negative context?!" But then again I live in rual Kentucky, and I've really never been to a bigger place where i assume people are more accepting so I can't speak for the real world....

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Z_Temple

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 am
The Neko CatGirl
i told one of my friends and she stopped for years, but now shes back at it crying what can you do.
Z_Temple
*sigh*
people....

wellll, not saying im encouraging name calling but, if you know anything that irritates her/anyone else and they say "that's gay" a bunch, i would turn the table around and start to use a saying or even a word over and over(or the same amount that she/they use the topic term). at some point i would imagine them telling you to stop. which i would reply, "I'll stop when you stop. Deal with the life karma."

again
NOT encouraging name calling or picking on people, but there's only so much time before someone snaps from hearing "that's gay" over and over again.

im sure "that's so straight" will become a fad one day, we can only hope.
3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 pm
alright, ill try that xD
Z_Temple
The Neko CatGirl
Z_Temple
*sigh*
people....

wellll, not saying im encouraging name calling but, if you know anything that irritates her/anyone else and they say "that's gay" a bunch, i would turn the table around and start to use a saying or even a word over and over(or the same amount that she/they use the topic term). at some point i would imagine them telling you to stop. which i would reply, "I'll stop when you stop. Deal with the life karma."

again
NOT encouraging name calling or picking on people, but there's only so much time before someone snaps from hearing "that's gay" over and over again.

im sure "that's so straight" will become a fad one day, we can only hope.
3nodding

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

ForteAmora

Fashionable Sex Symbol

6,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am
I absolutely disagree with it because in a sense, It's attaching behaviors to gays that aren't always true. I guess like... Stereotyping in a way?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:59 am
it's actually really fun. a friend of mine and his husband started saying it and i picked up on it. one of them even says "lets get one thing gay" instead of "straight"
people dont realise wht their saying. it stupid and annoying. but hey *thumbs up* thats the human race.

The Neko CatGirl
I know, I hate it how most trends now a days have something bias, rude, and discriminatory involved. yea, just like you said the word retarded gets used the wrong way too. btw, hetro, haha thats great ill have to use it XD
loveless_in_hell

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 am
The rights of man cannot be sacrificed for the comfort of man. this means that we can not and shall not sacrifice language for the sake of comfort.. that would be.. shall I say... pretty damned gay.

Understand that if you want the word to stop being associated with homosexuality understand that the use of this word, Gay, is no longer used in reference to homosexuality when used in this context (Unless used as a word to directly correlate to homosexual topics, but even then it can be used without being directed.)

It's pretty gay that I can't marry a member of the same sex.

Words often gain multiple meanings, we no longer live in a time of literal-linguistic domination.

Personally I am offended at how people will freely rip my wording out of context based on their disgustingly oppressive view of tolerance. Political Correctness is a system of intolerance of 90% of viewpoints in traditionalist cultures... If you want to live in a world that accepts you for your choices and personality then accept others. Understand that some people are just going to live their lifestyle and speak the way that they feel comfortable.. don't hate them for their choice in words.

I've seen people use what I'm forced by "Political Correctness" to refer to as "The 'N' Word" as an insult when they themselves are not actually racist in any detectable manner.

The world does not belong to minorities, it is just inhabited by them. Homosexuality is not even a group, it's simply a preference (Didn't say choice, I said preference so don't condemn that language without a quote from Webster's)

By rule of thumb, it is generally ruled that the ruler is a great measuring device... and our ruler, king bill, states that standardized measurements RULE!!!!

There were four meanings of that same word in my statement. all of which are more or less independent of one another. and you've differentiated them all. So there are different meanings to the word "Gay"

Man, this day is delightfully gay, only that rowdy gay pride rally is protesting in a rather unprofessional manner today, and that's pretty gay.

Another one right there... if you can't see the three meanings then you're not intelligent enough to even rightfully participate in a speech changing movement.

Fun fact, did you know that the term "Nigardly" is not at all related to the "N word"... but try using it in public.

The general ignorance of my peers is what makes me so outspoken.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 pm
Hah. "That's so hetero". XD
Yeah, I guess you could say I'm walking the same road you are...
Some guy in my class, Brandon, kinda my friend, whenever he's pissed about something, he'll go, "That's so gay!" or, "faggots!"
And whenever I poke him or something to annoy him, he'll go: "You f*cking queer."
And anytime I bring up anything about lgstb community, he'll put his two index fingers together and go: "THIS DOESN'T WORK. FAGS."

...It's terrible.  

spirals spins

Politics and Debates

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas