Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
"Legalize Gay Marriage" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 am
Constitutionally it is up to states to define daily rights, and on Constitutional principal, no man or woman should be considered lessor than any other man or woman in terms of rights and opportunities.

I'm actually torn here... The same way I am with my hatred for religion and my willingness to die for a man's right to think it makes more sense then the fact that sam adams is considered "Talented" and The Game was forgotten...  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:42 am
I was thinking about getting people of all sexual orients to sit in the church until they marry us like other civil right activist did in the past. There is no real reason to keep us from marrying. If I want to marry my girlfriend I should be able to without leaving state to do it.  

KnittingNepeta

Beloved Friend

6,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

caleighxo

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm
Now New York, heck yes. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:04 pm
know a lesbian couple that went to Iowa to get married. Very about New York, and of course hope soon MN will allow them as well. They should not have had to go to Iowa to get married but that's life right now.  

AquaRose33

ALonelyFallenStar

6,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 pm
My aunt got married to her lovely spouce in Texas.
But my dad made me mad because he's a LGBT hater.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:51 am
Gordums
Not to sound homophobic or oppressive at all - in fact, I'm the complete opposite, but I don't think fighting for gay marriage is really worth it.

In terms of the fight for equality, yes, we should be allowed to marry. But in terms of worth - do we really need marriage?
|I mean it has some benefits that are only available through marriage (ie. being at somebody's death bed and that whole situation, child benefits, and etc.) but at what cost?

The reason I'm against marriage is because it defines your intimacy. It says, "You do not love this person or are committed to this person unless you have your love validated by the State or Church". In other words, you don't love that person unless the Church or State say so. ******** the Church and State. They are the ones who have been oppressing the queer community since forever. And now we have to subjugate ourselves to them again just so we can validate our intimacies?

Another reason I'm against marriage is because it defines how our intimacy works. It regulates it as a heteronormative monogamous relationship. This is problematic because it doesn't allow for open relationships or polyamorous relationships - in fact, it simply labels their marriage as adultery should a couple willingly have a threesome with somebody. As well, I wasn't aware that in order to love somebody, I have to love only them and have sex with only them - or that I love only one person period.

This monogamy further leads into problems such as complete vulnerability. My partner would have complete access to me, my finances, properties, and everything - as I would with my partner. This makes divorce extremely difficult because you have to undo all this inter-meshing. Further more, if my partner were to become abusive or attempt to kill me, he would have complete access to myself - or vice versa.

The only reason I would get married is for the tangible benefits of being able to care for my partner and any children we may have together - should we have any children. Why can I not make a contractual obligation for these benefits, instead of being locked into a patriarchal institution that only further suppresses myself and my partner?

I agree completely. Yes it would be nice to have it legalized but with it being illegal we're stronger as a whole of people we do better without pieces of paper just be yourself til it happens. rofl  

sbaxter2010

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 am
Dusty-Boy
and The Game was forgotten...

s**t, I just lost the game.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:54 am
It'll be legal in the UK by 2015 biggrin  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

demonicyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:20 am
sbaxter2010
Gordums
Not to sound homophobic or oppressive at all - in fact, I'm the complete opposite, but I don't think fighting for gay marriage is really worth it.

In terms of the fight for equality, yes, we should be allowed to marry. But in terms of worth - do we really need marriage?
|I mean it has some benefits that are only available through marriage (ie. being at somebody's death bed and that whole situation, child benefits, and etc.) but at what cost?

The reason I'm against marriage is because it defines your intimacy. It says, "You do not love this person or are committed to this person unless you have your love validated by the State or Church". In other words, you don't love that person unless the Church or State say so. ******** the Church and State. They are the ones who have been oppressing the queer community since forever. And now we have to subjugate ourselves to them again just so we can validate our intimacies?

Another reason I'm against marriage is because it defines how our intimacy works. It regulates it as a heteronormative monogamous relationship. This is problematic because it doesn't allow for open relationships or polyamorous relationships - in fact, it simply labels their marriage as adultery should a couple willingly have a threesome with somebody. As well, I wasn't aware that in order to love somebody, I have to love only them and have sex with only them - or that I love only one person period.

This monogamy further leads into problems such as complete vulnerability. My partner would have complete access to me, my finances, properties, and everything - as I would with my partner. This makes divorce extremely difficult because you have to undo all this inter-meshing. Further more, if my partner were to become abusive or attempt to kill me, he would have complete access to myself - or vice versa.

The only reason I would get married is for the tangible benefits of being able to care for my partner and any children we may have together - should we have any children. Why can I not make a contractual obligation for these benefits, instead of being locked into a patriarchal institution that only further suppresses myself and my partner?

I agree completely. Yes it would be nice to have it legalized but with it being illegal we're stronger as a whole of people we do better without pieces of paper just be yourself til it happens. rofl

To be honest, I think we should fight for it just to have it. It's a right everyone should have right? I mean it doesn't really matter how important it is to some people vs others, everyone should still have it.

It's like if someone was selling candy at a school but only kids who have a English class in the morning can buy, see candy isn't that important to most people, but if you wanted some but you have a English class in the afternoon you'll be out of luck. Anyone should be able to buy the candy regardless of when your english class is or how much you actually want it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:59 am
Cali!! If i lived there i would go in different places where two gay people are being married JUST SO i can show my support for them!!

i've also ALWAYS wanted to go to a pride..which i plan on doing BY next year!!
=))
heart emotion_bigheart gaia_diamond heart  

kayla_s1129

Beloved Genius

6,050 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff