Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:56 pm
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
I see... So, what do you lovely people think is the worst way to kill off a character?

It takes forever for the character to actually die, or they just vanish from the book and later on someone informs the main character that the person died. I don't really like the latter, because I would at least like to know why and how they came about to being dead.

Agreed. I think a good death should be a few paragraphs at most. Just enough to be well developed, but not dragging on.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:09 am
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
I see... So, what do you lovely people think is the worst way to kill off a character?

It takes forever for the character to actually die, or they just vanish from the book and later on someone informs the main character that the person died. I don't really like the latter, because I would at least like to know why and how they came about to being dead.

Agreed. I think a good death should be a few paragraphs at most. Just enough to be well developed, but not dragging on.

A good few paragraphs long, and done in real time. Meaning, we are reading it as it is happening.  

Siegfried006

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 am
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

A good few paragraphs long, and done in real time. Meaning, we are reading it as it is happening.

Indeed. And when the character is dead, allow the appropriate time for characters who live on to either mourn or celebrate, depending on who died.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:35 am
Killing off characters is something I generally find distasteful, though sometimes it's necessary. There are times when their controllers are just asking for it, specifically when they've been warned repeatedly about causing trouble, godmodding, or tactical stupidity (especially in realistic RP's).

One such person tried having his character try to face an Mi-24 Hind gunship down like some folk hero with a pistol in an RP I was in, thinking he could shoot the pilot through the cockpit (not possible...that thing can take fire from .50 BMG and not crack) and down the chopper, even after repeated warnings. His character getting torn to pieces by the Hind's 12.7mm nose cannon, complete with his arm ripped off and his guts hanging out all over him on the ground showed him we weren't kidding.  

pitbully01

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 am
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

Indeed. And when the character is dead, allow the appropriate time for characters who live on to either mourn or celebrate, depending on who died.

And in my opinion, keep them dead. Don't bring them back to life no matter what people say. Because that's what fanfiction is for, they can do whatever they want but it will never be canon fact.
But fanfiction is another cup of noodles to deal with.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 am
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

And in my opinion, keep them dead. Don't bring them back to life no matter what people say. Because that's what fanfiction is for, they can do whatever they want but it will never be canon fact.

The only way for a character's resurrection to work in the canon is if they come back as a soulless undead monstosity, in my opinion. Your thoughts?  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

The only way for a character's resurrection to work in the canon is if they come back as a soulless undead monstosity, in my opinion. Your thoughts?

It is possible and a very accepted plot for character development. However, I also believe that if it is a love story and the gimmick is to bring a lost love back to life and it somehow not very cheesy, then that could work as well.

Any other way, it shouldn't happen.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:37 am
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

It is possible and a very accepted plot for character development. However, I also believe that if it is a love story and the gimmick is to bring a lost love back to life and it somehow not very cheesy, then that could work as well.

Heh... I have yet to read a love story that wasn't painfully cheesy... Or overly sexual. I sometimes find myself wishing that the protagonists of certain stories could die so characters that don't utterly fail could be introduced. You know what I mean?  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 pm
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

Heh... I have yet to read a love story that wasn't painfully cheesy... Or overly sexual. I sometimes find myself wishing that the protagonists of certain stories could die so characters that don't utterly fail could be introduced. You know what I mean?

It's a challenge no doubt, but I feel that it can be done it just needs a certain kind of author and writing style.
You mean like side characters that are pretty sweet can take the spotlight over a weak main character? I understand the mentality but I don't know if it could be done properly. Because while you or me think a certain character of the main cast sucks, there are hundreds of other people that think the character is just find. I don't know if it can be done.
Now if it was the author's intent to kill the main character off somewhere down the road as a shock and life lesson for a side character, then I am totally good with that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

It's a challenge no doubt, but I feel that it can be done it just needs a certain kind of author and writing style.
You mean like side characters that are pretty sweet can take the spotlight over a weak main character? I understand the mentality but I don't know if it could be done properly. Because while you or me think a certain character of the main cast sucks, there are hundreds of other people that think the character is just find. I don't know if it can be done.
Now if it was the author's intent to kill the main character off somewhere down the road as a shock and life lesson for a side character, then I am totally good with that.

Heh. Perhaps it's the fact that too many romance novels are little more than literary masturbation that it is difficult to find one that is done well. There are a few, but those are the ones that seem to never gain popularity...
I don't know if it can be done either, but it seems like a nice thought. It seems like the weakest main characters are for some reason the most loved. It is a notion that boggles my mind even now.
I would like to read a novel like that, but methinks it would only work if it was written by someone with extensive experience. Wouldn't want to see an interesting plot get butchered just because the author wasn't sure what s/he was doing at the time.  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 pm
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

Heh. Perhaps it's the fact that too many romance novels are little more than literary masturbation that it is difficult to find one that is done well. There are a few, but those are the ones that seem to never gain popularity...
I don't know if it can be done either, but it seems like a nice thought. It seems like the weakest main characters are for some reason the most loved. It is a notion that boggles my mind even now.
I would like to read a novel like that, but methinks it would only work if it was written by someone with extensive experience. Wouldn't want to see an interesting plot get butchered just because the author wasn't sure what s/he was doing at the time.

It's the formula, it works and makes money, so who cares enough to try and do something different? No one really, unless they are damn good and self publish themselves.
Anything is possible in the realm of writing so long as the person knows what they are doing. They don't need extensive experience to make a good story, they just need to know where they are going and how to get there which requires a lot of pre-write up work. To be one book ahead of what you are writing and what your readers have in their hands.

After all, wasn't that the original intention of this guild before most of the people left?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 pm
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw
Siegfried006
Exarielle BlackLaw

It's the formula, it works and makes money, so who cares enough to try and do something different? No one really, unless they are damn good and self publish themselves.
Anything is possible in the realm of writing so long as the person knows what they are doing. They don't need extensive experience to make a good story, they just need to know where they are going and how to get there which requires a lot of pre-write up work. To be one book ahead of what you are writing and what your readers have in their hands.

After all, wasn't that the original intention of this guild before most of the people left?

Ah, you have a point.  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:46 pm
Exarielle BlackLaw

Ah, you have a point.
Mhmm. But that's beating a dead horse so there isn't much left to go to down that road. XD  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff