Yes, but not for me...
  No...
View Results

imderanged

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:19 am
LittleMissMich
Shanna66
ive only scanned everyone's posts so if i repeat anything im sorry

rodents and fish are fine as treats, fish breed yourself or get from a freidn who breeds them. feeder fish in petstores are usually very filthy and may have parasites. and rodents are very fatty for a pacman. bugs are best. when it gets big enough look into goliath worms, they are huge and have soft bodies. and they are really pretty too lol

use the same kind of water you would put in a fishtank. dechlorinated tap water is fine for anphibs

heating with these guys is one of those things where everyone does it differently. some people say that a light will dry out the frog, some people say that it will burn itselt if you put a uth on the bottom of the tank, and some people say they dont get enough belly heat if the uth is on the side of the tank. personaly i would put a uth on the bottom of the tank because thats what i do with my skinks who burrow and they havent had any issues with it. but to each their own.

and for substrate eco earth holds moisture very well. i like mixing my eco earch with some (excuse my spelling im sounding out the word here) sphagnum moss for my humidity loving lizards

I wanted to use moss, but was warned away from it. I have live plants and a heating lamp. I like the lamp, it works for me. My tree frogs loved the lamp. my fish don't breed fast enough to be anywhere near enough food for a greedy little guy. i plan on feeding worms and crickets; my mom catches moths to feed to her butterfly fish, so I might set up traps for grasshoppers and such. no pesticides are sprayed around here because there's a frog sanctuary for sensitive species around the corner. I like the idea of moss still though, since I won't be feeding him in his house. I've also been looking at this tank: Exo Terra Tank for when he gets bigger.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother w/ that ExtoTerra Terrarium. I have the 12X12X18 model (same foot print but higher) and it does not have a lot of floor space. A 10 gallon fish tank has a bigger foot print & cost a LOT less. I needed something tall and that's the only reason I bought to ExoTerra. The Pacman doesn't need much height, but if you have your heart set on a terrarium style enclosure, maybe take a look at the Zoomeds. To be perfectly honest I am not all that happy with my ExoTerra. Only after I bought it, I saw the Zoomed product. The glass door opens on one side. I think it is nicer looking than the ExoTerra with the double doors. I don't like how the "seam" in the glass right in the front looks at all. Personally I like regular tanks better for a frog like this. For one thing it's easier to create a heat gradient with a warm side and a cool side in a rectangular tank as opposed to the square terrarium, and for another, in my experience, these frog are more likely to jump or attack sideways rather than straight up. You are probably more likely to take a hit from one trying to feed him from a side opening enclosure than a top opening enclosure.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm
Not sure if I said this already or not, but PetCo has $1 Per Gallon sales every few months, on the more expensive tanks, like 20 longs, 29's, and 40 breeders. Definatly look into that. They also sell glass hoods, so you could do a one stop shop kinda thing lol  

Akari_32

LuvByrd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:10 pm
OMG, are you talking about the reptile show that's held at OMSI every year? I went to that show some years ago - it was awesome...soo many species. I should go this year.

*Does a little reptile dance*  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:57 pm
LuvByrd
OMG, are you talking about the reptile show that's held at OMSI every year? I went to that show some years ago - it was awesome...soo many species. I should go this year.

There's one at OMSI!!!???!!! Why have I not heard this? There's no bus to wilsonville from my place, but It's a 40min bus ride from here to OMSI...When are they held? eek

i have decided against the Exoterra tank, as I found a rectangular plastic bin that will work til he's almost full size or when ever I get another 10gal. I looked the tank over and thought it just wasn't wide enough for such a fat frog.  

LittleMissMich

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:45 pm
LittleMissMich
LuvByrd

There's one at OMSI!!!???!!! Why have I not heard this? There's no bus to wilsonville from my place, but It's a 40min bus ride from here to OMSI...When are they held? eek

i have decided against the Exoterra tank, as I found a rectangular plastic bin that will work til he's almost full size or when ever I get another 10gal. I looked the tank over and thought it just wasn't wide enough for such a fat frog.

PetCo's sale started yesterday, and lasts untill 7/15 (I think... Last for a couple weeks, unless the tanks run out)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 pm
Akari_32
LittleMissMich
LuvByrd

PetCo's sale started yesterday, and lasts untill 7/15 (I think... Last for a couple weeks, unless the tanks run out)

cool, thanks. I'll check it out and see if it's going on at one near me. My mom has 3 fish tanks and I have one fish tank and one tadpole tank. I just got my Pacific chorus frog tadpoles, I only wanted 2, but I got a surprise 3rd one. It just hatched, it was teeny tiny and black, while the others are big, almost ready to start growing legs. They're mopping the algae off the sides of the tank.  

LittleMissMich

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm
LittleMissMich

cool, thanks. I'll check it out and see if it's going on at one near me. My mom has 3 fish tanks and I have one fish tank and one tadpole tank. I just got my Pacific chorus frog tadpoles, I only wanted 2, but I got a surprise 3rd one. It just hatched, it was teeny tiny and black, while the others are big, almost ready to start growing legs. They're mopping the algae off the sides of the tank.

It should be nation wide, and the tanks go quick, especially the 40 breeders (where I live, the employee's stash the tanks they want away to pay for after work lol)

Lol Tadpoles are so cute! I used to save them from the puddles at school that the frogs were too stupid to know that they dried up in just a few days and that all their babies would die. So I'd take a water bottle full of them home and grow them up XD Mom hated that LOL  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:41 pm
I got my 40 breeder during one of those sales smile I use the 40 for my dragon though. Honestly I think a 40 breeder would be overkill for a pacman.  

imderanged

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm
imderanged
I got my 40 breeder during one of those sales smile I use the 40 for my dragon though. Honestly I think a 40 breeder would be overkill for a pacman.

I know lol I was just trying to make the point that the tanks dont last long XD I use my 40 Breeder for my Mali Uromastyx, Rex. He's cute =3  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:56 pm
LittleMissMich
LuvByrd

The reptile & amphibian show at OMSI is being held September 3-5 this year at 9:30 am -7 pm. $3 to get in

http://www.omsi.edu/reptileshow  

LuvByrd

imderanged

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 pm
Akari_32
imderanged

I know lol I was just trying to make the point that the tanks dont last long XD I use my 40 Breeder for my Mali Uromastyx, Rex. He's cute =3

I <3 Uromastyx.. they are on my short list of lizards I'd like to keep some day. What's yours like? I've heard the temperament & the requirements are both close to bearded dragons. Do you find this to be true? (PS I like the name rex for a Uro, they look like they have T-rex heads whee )  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 pm
imderanged
Akari_32
imderanged

I <3 Uromastyx.. they are on my short list of lizards I'd like to keep some day. What's yours like? I've heard the temperament & the requirements are both close to bearded dragons. Do you find this to be true? (PS I like the name rex for a Uro, they look like they have T-rex heads whee )

He's really spazzy. He thinks he part gecko and tries to climb up the side of the tank every day, in the exact same spot, and he'll do it for hours. He doesnt really like hands either... (I have to work him more, I guess sweatdrop ) And he knows when you're talking about him, because he'll sit up on his rock really tall and show off how cute -- I mean tough!-- he is, and gives you dirty looks if you stop talking about him LOL And he poses great for the camera lol So pretty much, he's a nut, and really psychotic, but so cute and full of personality.

They are supposed to mellow out when they get older, and Beardies are pretty mellow, I hear (never owned one before), so I guess they are about the same like that. He's about 7 inches long, only about 1/2 grown (and pretty much unsexable, but we'll go with male for now LOL), so he's got awhile untill he chills out lol They do have pretty much the same diets as Beardies (and they can eat moistened Iguana pellets as a treat if you can get them too). Rexie really likes yellow squash, and thats pretty much all I can get him eat, the spoiled brat gonk  

Akari_32

LittleMissMich

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm
I want a Uro xd I got to hold a bright yellow one that just loved to sit and get his head scratched^^ So cute.
I went to goodwill on a whim and found a 10gal tank with a mesh lid and hood for $7.99! I jumped on it blaugh I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it. I want to start my plants in it before i get my frog. It was never cleaned, it had lizards in it.

My Pacific's have all four legs now^^ They're almost ready to leave the water. #3 is still behind, he only started growing back legs a week ago. I'm still cleaning tanks because of the columnaris breakout in my guppies. Looks like my froggies will have to live with crickets for now. i'll have to preorder the mealworms or anything else to feed my pacman. Can pacific's eat the nightcrawlers too? Mine have only ever eaten crickets and the occasional moth, but i want to do better by this batch. Any feeding and cleaning advice is welcomed right now. What do I do about the 3rd tad? He isn't near ready to leave the water, would it be okay to convert the tank to half water and half land at this point or just move the 1st 2?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 am
LittleMissMich
I want a Uro xd I got to hold a bright yellow one that just loved to sit and get his head scratched^^ So cute.
I went to goodwill on a whim and found a 10gal tank with a mesh lid and hood for $7.99! I jumped on it blaugh I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it. I want to start my plants in it before i get my frog. It was never cleaned, it had lizards in it.

My Pacific's have all four legs now^^ They're almost ready to leave the water. #3 is still behind, he only started growing back legs a week ago. I'm still cleaning tanks because of the columnaris breakout in my guppies. Looks like my froggies will have to live with crickets for now. i'll have to preorder the mealworms or anything else to feed my pacman. Can pacific's eat the nightcrawlers too? Mine have only ever eaten crickets and the occasional moth, but i want to do better by this batch. Any feeding and cleaning advice is welcomed right now. What do I do about the 3rd tad? He isn't near ready to leave the water, would it be okay to convert the tank to half water and half land at this point or just move the 1st 2?

Best way to clean the tank is hot water (and distilled vinegar if its really bad).

Dunno anything about your other little guys, but I'm sure a snack every now and then probly wouldnt hurt.  

Akari_32

LittleMissMich

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:44 am
I've converted the tadpole tank into a half land half water tank. #1 and #2 have crawled out of the water for good xd #3 is still developing. #1 has already crawled over the gravel and #2 is just on the side glass. Their tails are nearly gone, #1 is green with spots already and #2 is dark brown. I hope #1 is male and the other 2 are female. They are smaller than my thumb nail right now, about 1.5cm, so tiny! xd I'm keeping a log on their growth, they're too tiny weigh yet though. sweatdrop

The pacman tank turned out to not be too bad. I just rinsed and soaked it in boiling water. Some of the seals have to be fixed, it wasn't handled properly. I'll reseal them then start my setup. I'm so excited!!! whee rofl blaugh I can't wait!  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff