Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Poor turtles... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imderanged

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 pm
My Pickle (RES) was from one of those big places that sell baby turtles online and ship them to you (he was a gift from a very well meaning friend) I didn't see the packaging but I was told he came in a Styrofoam box in the mail. He was maybe the size of a half dollar. He had a respiratory infection and I had to nurse him back to health.

These places find loopholes in the laws all the time. My turtle was shipped to NJ! Here state law says you can't sell turtles, above or below 4 inches doesn't matter. But it's easy enough to get one.

I understand why you're mad about the little turtle in the shop, it IS completely wrong. But I'm undecided on if it was me weather or not I would report it. If the state has to step in and seize the turtles, chances are they won't be re-homed they will be destroyed. Maybe it IS better that they are euthanized rather than live in such poor conditions. I'm just not sure what I would do.

On a lighter note... to those of you w/ female Russians looking for a date, you can bring them by my house when they are old enough. I'm totally serious, if you are willing to come to Jersey, I'm willing to pimp out my tort. (Does anyone know how long the torts need to be together to ensure a mating?)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:15 pm
imderanged
My Pickle (RES) was from one of those big places that sell baby turtles online and ship them to you (he was a gift from a very well meaning friend) I didn't see the packaging but I was told he came in a Styrofoam box in the mail. He was maybe the size of a half dollar. He had a respiratory infection and I had to nurse him back to health.

These places find loopholes in the laws all the time. My turtle was shipped to NJ! Here state law says you can't sell turtles, above or below 4 inches doesn't matter. But it's easy enough to get one.

I understand why you're mad about the little turtle in the shop, it IS completely wrong. But I'm undecided on if it was me weather or not I would report it. If the state has to step in and seize the turtles, chances are they won't be re-homed they will be destroyed. Maybe it IS better that they are euthanized rather than live in such poor conditions. I'm just not sure what I would do.

On a lighter note... to those of you w/ female Russians looking for a date, you can bring them by my house when they are old enough. I'm totally serious, if you are willing to come to Jersey, I'm willing to pimp out my tort. (Does anyone know how long the torts need to be together to ensure a mating?)

Lazy and Kilgore would make such beautiful babies! BUT sometimes it can take up to 2 years before they'll mate with each other after living together. They like to move slow. :3

I don't mean to sound um..stereotypish, but the shop in question mostly caters to airhead types. Like the girls that were in there holding the turtles were completely stupid, and I saw more of the same throughout the entire shop. I'm sure some of the turtles will find good homes, but probably not a lot of them. If it gets them to stop selling turtles and not buy anymore, then it may be worth it.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

imderanged

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 pm
Vanilla eXee
imderanged

Lazy and Kilgore would make such beautiful babies! BUT sometimes it can take up to 2 years before they'll mate with each other after living together. They like to move slow. :3

I don't mean to sound um..stereotypish, but the shop in question mostly caters to airhead types. Like the girls that were in there holding the turtles were completely stupid, and I saw more of the same throughout the entire shop. I'm sure some of the turtles will find good homes, but probably not a lot of them. If it gets them to stop selling turtles and not buy anymore, then it may be worth it.

LOL I was afraid they might need to be together for a while, but 2 years! I never really looked it up because I didn't have any specific plans to breed. But I have seen Youtube videos of torts humping shoes & pots and other inanimate objects so I didn't think getting them in the "mood" would be that hard!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:50 am
imderanged
Vanilla eXee
imderanged

LOL I was afraid they might need to be together for a while, but 2 years! I never really looked it up because I didn't have any specific plans to breed. But I have seen Youtube videos of torts humping shoes & pots and other inanimate objects so I didn't think getting them in the "mood" would be that hard!

Maybe the knew the shoes and pots for a while. Sometimes it doesn't take that long, it really varies.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:02 am
The pet store near me gives turtles away to anyone who buys a turtle product. They have a sign that says something like "Turtle for adoption, free with purchase of any turtle product" But every time I'm in there I see that so I think it's just a scam to get people to think they're saving a turtle. It worked on one of my friends, who then a year later gave the turtle to my other good friend. This is the girl I gave my 15G to. I know it's probably still too small, but the Turtle was in a 10G before and would have been in a 5G had my friend not given her their 10. The original turtle owning friend's boyfriend is a bit of a know it all. He thinks Turtle are hardy can survive and don't mind small tanks, unclean water etc. (also was gona hop on a scooter with his unaltered pit and just start doing urban mushing with no harness and no training but luckily he found a harness for free and my friend his girlfriend is working on convincing him to come to the FREE training classes at my club)  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:12 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
The pet store near me gives turtles away to anyone who buys a turtle product. They have a sign that says something like "Turtle for adoption, free with purchase of any turtle product" But every time I'm in there I see that so I think it's just a scam to get people to think they're saving a turtle. It worked on one of my friends, who then a year later gave the turtle to my other good friend. This is the girl I gave my 15G to. I know it's probably still too small, but the Turtle was in a 10G before and would have been in a 5G had my friend not given her their 10. The original turtle owning friend's boyfriend is a bit of a know it all. He thinks Turtle are hardy can survive and don't mind small tanks, unclean water etc. (also was gona hop on a scooter with his unaltered pit and just start doing urban mushing with no harness and no training but luckily he found a harness for free and my friend his girlfriend is working on convincing him to come to the FREE training classes at my club)

Well they can survive for quite a while in those conditions, but they will get very sick. That guy sounds like a real catch rolleyes

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 am
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Well they can survive for quite a while in those conditions, but they will get very sick. That guy sounds like a real catch rolleyes

This somehow stems from people he knows that take good care of their turtles but they died, meanwhile his are still going strong in the dirty water he rarely cleans in what I assume is like a 50-60G with a divider cause the turtles eat each others shell or something. He told the new orner of their "rescue" turtle, their natural environment is swampy so it doesn't need to be cleaned often. I didn't wana bring up the fact that their natural environment has live plants and a lot more than 50G of water so they aren't sitting in their own waste products it naturally gets washed away. I'm choosing my battles with him. He's considering neutering his pit bulls. He wants to way on their new 9 week old to be a year old and I'm fine with that but the other is 3 and they've had him two years it's about time! Plus he might come to the FREE dog training classes and listen to what someone ELSE has to say about training. And actually teach his dog commands before strapping him to a scooter and doing mushing. So, these are big steps, one battle at a time. He's otherwise a nice guy he just...is a bit conceited.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:39 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

This somehow stems from people he knows that take good care of their turtles but they died, meanwhile his are still going strong in the dirty water he rarely cleans in what I assume is like a 50-60G with a divider cause the turtles eat each others shell or something. He told the new orner of their "rescue" turtle, their natural environment is swampy so it doesn't need to be cleaned often. I didn't wana bring up the fact that their natural environment has live plants and a lot more than 50G of water so they aren't sitting in their own waste products it naturally gets washed away. I'm choosing my battles with him. He's considering neutering his pit bulls. He wants to way on their new 9 week old to be a year old and I'm fine with that but the other is 3 and they've had him two years it's about time! Plus he might come to the FREE dog training classes and listen to what someone ELSE has to say about training. And actually teach his dog commands before strapping him to a scooter and doing mushing. So, these are big steps, one battle at a time. He's otherwise a nice guy he just...is a bit conceited.

Oh jeez, I hate people like that. No offense toy uor friend!

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:52 am
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Oh jeez, I hate people like that. No offense toy uor friend!

ugh, mee too. It's frustrating cause like, the friend who adopted his turtle was like "oh he's such a nice guy, Fran is really lucky" And I'm like...uhun, yyaa. I don't want to start cussing him out over that. He spends the money to have his dogs on Orijen or Acana, which is pretty expensive considering they live in a rinky apartment and she's in school full time only working 4 days a week and he's kind of unemployed but makes money scraping metal or something. The cat I think is on wellness. He's taking the pup and kitten to the vet this week and they're getting all their shots and the kitten is getting tested for worms (I been pestering them about that for like a month) Once that's done and paid for, they do want to bring the older dog in for a check up. Again, lots of people I know only go when there's a problem. So he TRIES to do right by them. The kitten and older dog were rescues, the pup was kind of a gift. He also built a great grotto cage for his rat and his friends rats. He just...sometimes is a bit hard headed.

Also, I have to remember that I give my pets like...the absolute best and none of my real life friends can afford or prioritize their pets the way I do. I can't expect everyone to be like me. If they have a decent food and get lots of exercise and vet care when they need it, I try to just shut my mouth.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:03 pm
http://redearslider.com/

is a great website on caring for RES and similar species, maybe you could get him to take a look it sometime (tell him it's to look at the cute turtle pics or to join the really great community there) and he could read for himself and some of it will sink in? In my experience you just can't TELL some people anything. But if he doesn't have to admit to anyone he was wrong, maybe he'll make some changes. Just a thought. smile  

imderanged

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces