Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:32 am

Unfortunately for fish, you can't just take them to the vet and get tests done (although I don't see why, it's not that hard to take a scale scraping and look at it under a microscope, I've seen it done and had the privilege of looking myself ^_^) so the best bet is often charts like the one akari gave you. If you haven't already, separate them from your pleco and glofish so the others don't get sick as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 am
I'm going to pick up a fungus eliminator because that is listed as the cure for all three ailments.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:13 pm
Gwen_Katara
I'm going to pick up a fungus eliminator because that is listed as the cure for all three ailments.

Be careful about which you choose. I hear good things about Jungle's parasite meds,and I think they make fungus stuff as well so they would be someone worth looking into. For anything external I usually just use salt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:54 pm
I'm actually thinking about using salt.

I had a saltwater tank with algae eater shrimp and it was my favorite tank I kept. But because the algae eaters were freshwater, it was a bit of a science experiment to see if I could keep them alive by adding small amounts of salt each day.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 pm
Gwen_Katara
I'm actually thinking about using salt.

I had a saltwater tank with algae eater shrimp and it was my favorite tank I kept. But because the algae eaters were freshwater, it was a bit of a science experiment to see if I could keep them alive by adding small amounts of salt each day.

Some shrimp are more hardy in that aspect than fish.

Plecos don't have scales so you need to watch him very carefully during the treatment, they're very sensitive to salt. That said, I've used salt to cure ich in a tank with 2 plecos and no harm came from it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:39 pm
I ended up going with Fungus Guard(R) from Tetra(TM). It's a tablet that dissolves in water. You use one tablet for every ten gallons of water. After 4 days you can return the carbon to your filter and you need to do at least a 20% water change, if not more. I'll probably do at least a 50% change when I finish the treatment.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:57 am
Gwen_Katara
I ended up going with Fungus Guard(R) from Tetra(TM). It's a tablet that dissolves in water. You use one tablet for every ten gallons of water. After 4 days you can return the carbon to your filter and you need to do at least a 20% water change, if not more. I'll probably do at least a 50% change when I finish the treatment.

Let us know how it works!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:39 pm
My big bala is completely cleared up. I did a 20% water change and started a second dose. I can see where my smaller bala is healing. He's looking good.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:20 am

I'm glad it worked out! Make sure they're completely healed before you get any more fish.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff