Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
CrissAngelLover animal update thread *update and question* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Has he still been pooping? How do his scales look? Fins? Do you think you can get a good picture of the bloating?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 pm
Vanilla eXee

Has he still been pooping? How do his scales look? Fins? Do you think you can get a good picture of the bloating?

I haven't been able to see him the last several days to see if he has been pooping or not because of not having a working light, now that I have a working light, I can monitor if he is or not much easier. I'll try to get a picture of the bloating. He doesn't seem to like staying still for pictures (every time I pull my camera out for pictures, he refuses to stay still, even if he was just a moment before I showed up with the camera, it's almost as if he's camera shy. It was difficult to get the pictures that I have posted of him as a result lol)

His scales don't look pineconed. I have found that dropsy doesn't always have pineconed scales either... >.<  

CrissAngelLover12345

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:54 pm

If your camera has a video function, that might be easier. Believe me, I understand how hard it is to get pictures of a fish that is camera shy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:55 pm
Vanilla eXee

If your camera has a video function, that might be easier. Believe me, I understand how hard it is to get pictures of a fish that is camera shy.

It does have video function, but it won't zoom when in that function, and he tends to try to hide/go to the back of the tank when the camera is around. I managed to get pictures, though. biggrin

Here are the best ones that show his bloating:

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image  

CrissAngelLover12345

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:47 pm
Patriot's fins are also clamped now and he's more lethargic... He's eating his pellets (I soak them now before I give them to him). most of the daphnia sinks before he can eat them, and he doesn't seem to interested in the ones that sink. He also doesn't appear too interested in the flightless fruit flies... I haven't tried bloodworms or the brine shrimp with him yet. It's also taking him longer to decide to come up for food too... or even to move from the bottom of the tank when I'm watching...

I might be switching Bandit onto Orijen when he gets low enough on his Wellness Core for the transition period if I can afford to. I'm gonna be going to the store (also is the only store, and it's not much of a distance change from Petco) to price it and see if I can manage to afford it and still be saving a decent amount of money towards moving out between now and then. biggrin

Not on topic, but I might be able to buy the neighbor's house sometime after I graduate, or enter a rent-to-own contract! I won't be moving far, but I'll at least be on my own, won't have anyone telling me what I can and cannot do during my free time, and Charcoal will finally have free roam of a house! biggrin It's on 1.5 acres of land too! and the land is flat! I can easily play fetch and frisbee with Bandit and not have to worry too much about getting anything stuck in trees/bushes/on top of the house (lol, got tennis balls in the gutter many times while playing fetch with tennis balls here). Might be able to move as early as December 2012 (maybe earlier, depending. biggrin )! biggrin Also, I got my first car this past Sunday! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:35 pm
Vanilla eXee

I was watching him at random intervals, hoping to determine if he's pooping still or not, and he is. He was while I was watching him today, and he also didn't appear to be having problems... I posted pictures a couple posts ago. His bloating has gotten a little worse since those pictures were taken I think... sad He's also more lethargic, his fins are now clamped unless he happens to be swimming around, and they still aren't as open as they usually are... sad  

CrissAngelLover12345

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm
I priced Orijen. The largest bags of dog food are only .5 lb smaller than Wellness Core bags. The Senior formula is the same price as the Wellness Core. The Adult formula is about $8 more, and the all life stages formula is about $20 more. Bandit is now 8 years old, and from what I've found, is considered a senior. Would you suggest I get the Senior formula, or get one of the other two formulas? I think I will change Bandit over to it when this bag of Wellness Core gets low enough for the transition period (though I'll probably pick up a bag next pay day so I have it when the Wellness Core gets low enough. I think Bandit has about another month worth of the Wellness Core left, but I'm not positive on that) since it isn't as expensive as I thought it would be (though the all life stages is $80, if that's what's suggested, I'll still switch him over to it).

I also priced the Orijen cat food. The largest bags are actually a few pounds larger, and not much more expensive, so I'm definitely gonna change Charcoal to it when she gets low enough for the transition period of her Wellness Core (when ever that'll be, lol, she still has at least half a bag left, not sure if I'll continue feeding her the Wellness canned every so often or not (she gets a can of it every few days for her dinner), especially if Orijen is going to come out with canned formulas eventually).

Edit: Another quesion. How would you suggest I try to get my dad's and brother's cooperation on training Bandit not to beg while they're eating? I want him to stop begging from EVERYONE. He has been taught his whole life that begging is good and that he will get a piece of it (up until I had put a stop to him getting human food treats without my permission). Last night, my dad was walking around the house eating a slice of pizza. Bandit was following him around and sat down, staring at him every time he stopped moving. I had attempted to get him to quit begging and eventually managed to get him to come to the livingroom with me, where I held onto his collar and petted him until I knew my dad was finished eating. My dad was like "I was ignoring him." A while back, I was trying to eat (probably pizza) while watching tv, and every time Bandit tried to beg, I made him lay down and put his head down and NOT beg (was having difficulty, but I was eventually successful for that session), my dad told me not to bother, he's just doing what dogs do. I told him that no, he's not doing what dogs do, he's doing what he was taught to do.
Last night (as well as the other time), I told him that I want to teach him not to beg, and I need EVERYONE'S cooperation with the training, I informed him that it is possible, we all need to be consistent and not allow it. He just responded with "whatever." I also know he has a bad tendency of "absentmindedly" handing Bandit a piece of what ever it is he's eating because Bandit's there begging and he's used to handing any dog who happens to be begging and successfully convincing him that they are hungry (which if any dog stares at him while he's eating, he's convinced they're doing it because they're hungry... gonk ). I wish to have a talk with him about this very subject sometime in the near future... I doubt I'll get his cooperation since he has it in his mind that dogs beg and there's nothing you can do to get them to stop. gonk I'll probably insist that any time ANYONE is eating, he goes in his crate or in my room, at least until I can manage to get everyone's cooperation with the training. I'm never going to get anywhere with the training if I don't have EVERYONE being consistent with him. He is the worst beggar (he begs more than any of the other two, EVERY time someone has food, though with Jonny, it helps that he's blind and usually isn't aware that someone is eating...). He may like being stared at by a dog (and cat, as he gives his cat table scraps off his plate... And then expects him to stay off the bench and quit bugging after he gives it to him. He can't figure out why he keeps returning... gonk ) but I don't. I only put up with it at dinner time with Country and Jonny (Bandit goes in his crate during dinner because he is no longer allowed to have the dinner "treats", thankfully) because I know there is no getting him to stop giving them "treats" (they aren't really treats for those two, they're additions to their meals, which is why I put it in quotes) and table scraps during dinner...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:14 pm
I have pretty much figured out on my own that my dad and brother probably will not cooperate, no matter how much I try... When I got home from work this evening, I caught my brother absentmindedly handing Bandit some popcorn simply because he was there and begging (I have no idea how much he received before I got home, I have a feeling he got many pieces... gonk )... I have decided that any time anyone is eating anything, no matter what it is or what time of day it is, Bandit is to get put in his crate (I don't really care for this, but I don't really have any other choice... I DO NOT want him begging from anyone, and I do not want to have to watch my dad and brother like a hawk to make sure they do not give him any of what they are eating. At least he loves his crate and will voluntarily go in if he goes downstairs), particularly if it is my dad or brother considering I know they have bad habits of handing whatever dog is staring at them a piece of what ever they are eating without paying any attention to which dog it is to make sure it isn't Bandit, or "forgetting" that he isn't allowed to have any of it (my brother's excuse this evening was "I forgot"... gonk ) without my permission...

I think I will get the all life stages formula of Orijen.

I am still doing research on raw feeding, so, definitely any pointers you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. I'm also going to calculate how much it would cost me, and also if I can get any meat, bones, and organs at a cheap price from anywhere. Another thing I have to contend with is a very limited freezer and refrigerator space. We have a chest freezer downstairs that is almost always filled with stuff because my parents tend to buy things in bulk to save us money, and a small freezer compartment upstairs, which is also almost always full, I do well to find space for the frozen mice, bloodworms, daphnia, and brine shrimp in it... The refrigerator is also often practically completely filled... gonk These are definitely things that will make things really challenging for me... Also I'll have to find a way to convince my dad to allow me to take up more freezer space for the animals (he wasn't happy when I had bought the bloodworms and brine shrimp because of them taking some space in the freezer. even though they don't take up a lot of space...) I might end up waiting until I move out to get them on a raw diet, even if it turns out that I can afford it now... sad On the bright side, that will hopefully be in a little over a year.  

CrissAngelLover12345

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:28 pm
I went ahead and got Bandit and Charcoal the Orijen food! I'll be starting to transition them onto it tonight. My mom decided she would buy the rest of both the cat and dog Wellness Core from me (Boots, Tigger and Patches get Wellness Core, and she decided to mix the Wellness Core in with the Kirkland's best for the dog food, though once it's out, it's out. Country and Jonny are gonna continue getting the Kirkland's since they can't afford the Wellness Core, at least not yet) I put enough of the Wellness Core (well, probably more than enough lol) dog food for Bandit's transition period, and I'll just take from the main storage (where all the Wellness Core is for the cats, for Charcoal's Transition period. I'm still gonna give Charcoal the canned Wellness that I already have every so often until it's gone, still debating on if I want to continue getting it for her or not after I run out/come close to running out (obviously, I'm going to still add water to her food). Any suggestions on if I should or not? I'm hoping Orijen will come out with a canned food for cats. smile )

I got Bandit the all life stages formula. I brainfarted, it's only $10 more expensive than Wellness Core. biggrin

My mom might get Boots, Tigger and Patches on Orijen too since it's only a few dollars more expensive than Wellness Core, and it has a few pounds more in the bags, and a few more flavors to chose from when they get lower on the Wellness Core to where the transition period would run them out if she likes what she sees in Bandit and Charcoal enough. biggrin She wishes they could afford Orijen for Country and Jonny (or even Wellness Core or some other higher quality food than what they are on now (though it is still relatively healthy, it being the Kirkland's Best). Maybe they might be able to some day. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:40 am
Bandit and Charcoal LOVE the Orijen (especially Bandit)! Bandit is big time scarfing the food down (even faster than he was the Wellness Core and he also gets more excited to get his meals (he's still on the transitional period, no worries. smile )! I'm trying to get him to slow down his eating, but I can tell already I have one heck of a challenge ahead of me for that lol.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 am
Vanilla eXee

I've taken everyone's suggestion and bought Omega One. The first 6 ingredients are whole fish! There was another brand Akari mentioned, New Life Spectrum. I haven't tried it yet, but she swears by it.

Hi! XD I knew I should I have clicked on this thread earlier! It was calling my name LOL

NLS is a great brand, if you can find it where its cheap (which it is at PetCo).

Dropsy does not always cause pineconing. Its usually fatal, so if he's this far, then there is little chance he will recover. Best thing to do is keep the water clean, and make sure he can get up for air easily, if he even leaves the surface. Try soaking his pellets in garlic water before you feed them to him. Might help some, as garlic is a natural healing aid and preventative.

If he is having troubles getting up or down in the tank, you may want to buy a breeders net (not a trap, those are horrible. Water quality quickly gets crazy in those things) so he doesnt have very far to go up for air.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:58 pm
Akari_32
Vanilla eXee

I've taken everyone's suggestion and bought Omega One. The first 6 ingredients are whole fish! There was another brand Akari mentioned, New Life Spectrum. I haven't tried it yet, but she swears by it.

Hi! XD I knew I should I have clicked on this thread earlier! It was calling my name LOL

NLS is a great brand, if you can find it where its cheap (which it is at PetCo).

Dropsy does not always cause pineconing. Its usually fatal, so if he's this far, then there is little chance he will recover. Best thing to do is keep the water clean, and make sure he can get up for air easily, if he even leaves the surface. Try soaking his pellets in garlic water before you feed them to him. Might help some, as garlic is a natural healing aid and preventative.

If he is having troubles getting up or down in the tank, you may want to buy a breeders net (not a trap, those are horrible. Water quality quickly gets crazy in those things) so he doesnt have very far to go up for air.

LOL. I had seen other users making update threads, and rather than starting many other threads for various updates, I figured I'd make one for all my animals to keep everyone updated as I have updates. biggrin

I'll try to find NLS. I can't say I've seen it at my local Petco, and I've looked at pretty much every kind of food that Petco has for bettas. I'll look again though just in case. I'll also be close to another Petco on Monday, as well as the store I got Patriot and Ace from (I'll be there to look for some cord protectors to put on the cords), I'll look in both stores. I'll also look for the other suggested brands too. smile

What kind of garlic should I use for the garlic water? fresh? powdered? (I have both lol) What concentration of garlic should I use? I'll definitely try that, and hope for the best...

He's been more and more lethargic, and his bloating has been getting worse (it's now worse than what the pictures I posted show). He's still going to the top of the tank with little issue, other than having to work harder to get up there. I have noticed he has been spending a lot of time up at the top of the tank, leaning against the filter just under the water surface. If I don't find him there, then he's laying at the bottom of the tank... I'm surprised he has lasted as long as he has... I'll pick up a breeder net just in case he starts to have difficulty swimming up to the top. I'll try to keep him as comfortable as I can until the sad day comes... I'll also make sure to keep the tank clean...  

CrissAngelLover12345

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:35 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
LOL. I had seen other users making update threads, and rather than starting many other threads for various updates, I figured I'd make one for all my animals to keep everyone updated as I have updates. biggrin

I'll try to find NLS. I can't say I've seen it at my local Petco, and I've looked at pretty much every kind of food that Petco has for bettas. I'll look again though just in case. I'll also be close to another Petco on Monday, as well as the store I got Patriot and Ace from (I'll be there to look for some cord protectors to put on the cords), I'll look in both stores. I'll also look for the other suggested brands too. smile

What kind of garlic should I use for the garlic water? fresh? powdered? (I have both lol) What concentration of garlic should I use? I'll definitely try that, and hope for the best...

He's been more and more lethargic, and his bloating has been getting worse (it's now worse than what the pictures I posted show). He's still going to the top of the tank with little issue, other than having to work harder to get up there. I have noticed he has been spending a lot of time up at the top of the tank, leaning against the filter just under the water surface. If I don't find him there, then he's laying at the bottom of the tank... I'm surprised he has lasted as long as he has... I'll pick up a breeder net just in case he starts to have difficulty swimming up to the top. I'll try to keep him as comfortable as I can until the sad day comes... I'll also make sure to keep the tank clean...

NLS betta pellets look like this:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/300571135378?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The brand has its own section at my PetCo.

For the garlic water, use a minced garlic that is in water, and water only. No acsorbic acid, etc. You can also just buy a clove of garlic, chop up a bit of it, add it to some tank water, and add the pellets. You dont need much. Just a few peices really. You also dont need a whole bunch of water, and the garlic water can be added right into the tank, instead of having to fish out the pellets from the cup.

Floating at the surface means it wont be long... Both boys I have lost to Dropsy have spent their last days floating at the top of the tank, and not wanting to eat.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 pm
I found both Omega One and New Life Spectrum at my Petco. Knowing what the packaging of New Life Spectrum looked like helped me locate it lol. I compared the ingredients and decided to go with New Life Spectrum. biggrin I saw that Omega One contained Ethoxyquin, and knowing that it's bad for dogs and cats due to causing cancer and other illnesses (as well as other things that Ethoxyquin is used for besides preservatives in pet food... >.<), I figured it probably couldn't be any better for fish. I gave Patriot a little bit for his dinner, and he seems to like it. He's still eating, for now anyways.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces