Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:20 pm
Akiska
As for examples of banned animals being taken and killed? Have you seen The Pit Boss on Animal Planet? While it's not an exotic, the city of Denver in Colorado has passed a ban on "Pit bulls" They interviewed a woman on there who was walking her dog that she owned before the ban, on a leash in the park, and they came, forced her to the ground, handcuffed her, and animal control took her dog. This woman had no clue even that the law had been passed and that her dog that she had for years who, I believe, was a therapy dog was now illegal.

Or the Vietnam veteran who had his pit bull specially trained to keep him in the house when he would sleep walk at night WITH A LOADED GUN. That dog is by training a certified service dog, and they took her away because her breed was now illegal.

These animals aren't exotic, but it is an example of what happens when you start doing bans.
Which, by the way, is ONE of the reasons why though I HAVE NO DOG, I fight BSL. 1st of all because I really do believe they unfairly label breeds as dangerous but even MORE so because BANS ARE UNFAIR. I believe in animal owners standing together, and I hope that other owners will also stand for MY rights to responsibly own my exotic pets. That means I will support laws that enforce responsibility and prevent cruelty... but fight ones that ban for bannings sake.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:43 am
I like exotic animals, but I believe that they should stay in the wild (if they're not domesticated), there are so many stray animals in the US, so why not just adopt one of them? If you don't do the research, you won't be prepared.  

Vanilla Acoustic

Fatcat

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:26 am
Ruthfully
I like exotic animals, but I believe that they should stay in the wild (if they're not domesticated), there are so many stray animals in the US, so why not just adopt one of them? If you don't do the research, you won't be prepared.

because cats and dogs take alot more time, energy, and money than keeping a small gecko. most of the time when someone gets an exotic its because they wanted something in a pet that you cant get with a cat, dog, or any other domesticated animal

i keep reptiles because i want something pretty to look at and fun to feed that doesnt need to cuddle. i like the challenge of working with animals that are not geneticly predisposed to liking me because im human  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 pm
Shanna66

I agree with you about reptiles. They are gorgeous. I am kinda acting like a hypocrite because llamas are exotic animals- and yet my family owns a llama ranch, lol.  

Vanilla Acoustic

Fatcat

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:57 am
Ruthfully
Shanna66

I agree with you about reptiles. They are gorgeous. I am kinda acting like a hypocrite because llamas are exotic animals- and yet my family owns a llama ranch, lol.

i think they are domesticated though and you were saying how you were agasint keeping nondomesticated animals so no worries lol  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:45 am
So, I just found this
What I got from it is that either someone killed the owner and let all these animals out, or the owner died while having multiple cages open.
And while I'm not surprised I'm very upset at how local law enforcement handled it.

I'm all for keeping exotics responsibly, I'm just not sure what to make of this. Need more info.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:23 pm
Shearaha
So, I just found this
What I got from it is that either someone killed the owner and let all these animals out, or the owner died while having multiple cages open.
And while I'm not surprised I'm very upset at how local law enforcement handled it.

I'm all for keeping exotics responsibly, I'm just not sure what to make of this. Need more info.
This is such an ugly situation. It is horrible anyway, but ti also looks horrible for responsible exotic animal owners (because most people do NOT differentiate between responsible ones and crazies). We don't know for SURE what happened, because while it looks like suicide, there are a lot of unanswered questions, you know?  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff