Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Inspiration
Inspirational Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 am
The Goal of Teaching
December 9, 2011

"Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned." (1 Timothy 1:5)

As Paul begins his instruction to his disciple Timothy, his "own son in the faith" (v. 2), he warns him about false doctrine (v. 3) and petty, fruitless arguments (v. 4). He contrasts such false teaching with his own teaching, the goal or "end" of which is threefold:

First, Paul would like to see his ministry produce "charity |i.e., agape love| out of a pure heart." This is God's kind of love which He has bestowed upon us, undeserving as we are. Once He has purified our hearts and taken up residence there through the power of His Spirit, we can love with such a love.

Second, proper teaching should lead us to "a good conscience." Our lives must be free of unconfessed sin and uncluttered by wrongs not made right with others. The false teachings and improper attitudes and actions Paul is condemning (vv. 3-4) frequently lead to strife and fabrications. The response to these must be strong, yet proper.

Third, "unfeigned faith," a sincere faith without hypocrisy, should result. It must be our own faith and not that of others, not even family members (2 Timothy 1:5). We have a reasonable faith shored up by a great weight of evidence and logic, and proper teaching should strengthen and confirm it.

May God continue to "gift" the church with godly teachers like Timothy, "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:12-13). JDM  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:49 am
Absolute Trust
December 10, 2011

"Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him." (Job 13:15-16)

The patriarch Job was, according to God's own testimony, the most perfect and upright man in all the earth [Job 1:8], yet he was subjected to the most severe testings that anyone (except Christ Himself) ever had to endure. He lost all his great possessions and his large family in a single day, then was afflicted for months on end with a most loathsome and painful disease. He lost the respect of all who had once honored and followed him and was even accused by his closest friends of being a wicked sinner and arrogant hypocrite. Worst of all, the God whom he had loved and faithfully served all his life had apparently completely ignored his prayers for deliverance, or even for understanding of what was happening to him. Finally, a presumptuous young religionist related what he (falsely) claimed was a divine message that even God had accused Job of sin and hypocrisy.

Yet, despite all this, Job never once lost his faith! "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him," he insisted. "For I know that my redeemer liveth" (Job 19:25), and "He also shall be my salvation" (today's verse).

What an example has been provided us by this ancient patriarch, whose knowledge of God's Word, God's love, and God's great salvation through faith in Christ was only a small fraction of what we know now, with God's complete revelation before us. The apostle James well reminds us of "the patience of Job," probably the greatest example of all "the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience" (James 5:10-11). We can, like Job, know that He who created us deserves absolute trust. HMM  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 am
There Shall Be No Night
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever." (Revelation 22:5)

In the account of the creation, we read that the first word from God was, "Let there be light" (Genesis 1:3). He did not actually create or make light, as He did everything else, since God is light (1 John 1:5). He did create darkness, however (Isaiah 45:7), and then divided the light from the darkness. "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night" (Genesis 1:5).

Although the darkness of night can be a time of blessing through rest and sleep, it also soon came to symbolize spiritual darkness. Most evil deeds are done at night, and Christians are warned to "have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness" (Ephesians 5:11). God has called us "out of darkness into his marvellous light" (1 Peter 2:9).

In that wonderful age to come, when we go to dwell in our eternal home in the Holy City, the city gates "shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there" (Revelation 21:25). "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof" (Revelation 21:23).

The sun and moon will still be functioning in the heavens, however, for "he hath also stablished them for ever and ever" (Psalm 148:6). In fact, all the stars will also shine for ever and ever" (Daniel 12:3). Our God is the Creator, not an un-creator. As wise Solomon noted: "I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever" (Ecclesiastes 3:14).

The sun and moon will still be there, but their light will not be needed in the Holy City where we shall live, for the Lamb of God will also be the Lamp of God. He is the Light of the world and where He is, in His eternal glory, there can be no night. HMM  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:45 pm
Philippians 2:15

That you may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom you shine as lights in the world;  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 am
The Folly of Humanism
December 12, 2011

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." (Psalm 14:1)

Despite all their pretense of scientific intellectualism, those who deny the existence of a personal Creator God are, in God's judgment, nothing but fools. The 14th Psalm, the 53rd Psalm, Romans 3, etc., all describe the inner character of all such people--whether they call themselves atheists or humanists or pantheists or whatever. This repeated emphasis indicates how strongly God feels about those who dare to question His reality. It is bad enough to disobey His commandments and to spurn His love; it is utter folly to deny that He even exists!

The Bible describes the awful descent from true creationism into evolutionary pantheistic humanism. "When they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. . . . Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator" (Romans 1:21-22, 25).

Certain atheists/humanists claim to be moral people, though their criteria of morality are often quite different from those of the Bible. No matter how admirable their humane acts of "righteousness" may seem, however, they are guilty of the sin of unbelief, the greatest sin of all. "Without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is" (Hebrews 11:6). With all the innumerable evidences of God's reality as seen in the creation and throughout history, and then especially in the Person and work of Jesus Christ, it is utter foolishness to plunge blindly into eternity to meet the God whom they deny. HMM  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 am
Mathew 24:27

For as the lightning cometh out of the east,
and shineth even unto the west; so shall also
the coming of the Son of man be.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:43 am
Galatians 2:16

"knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law
but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ
Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by
the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh
shall be justified.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm
The Name of David
December 13, 2011

"Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said, The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and his word was in my tongue." (2 Samuel 23:1-2)

The name of David is uniquely important in Scripture. Except for the name of Jesus Christ Himself (of whom David is a remarkable type), no other name (not even Abraham or Moses or Paul) occurs nearly so often in the Bible. In the New Testament--again other than Jesus Christ--David's name is both the first mentioned (Matthew 1:1) and the last mentioned (Revelation 22:16).

As the "sweet psalmist of Israel," David was largely responsible for this longest book in the Bible. As we see in our text, his claim to divine inspiration in the writing of his psalms is perhaps the most meaningful and clear-cut statement on this subject by any of the biblical authors. It was both "God's Spirit" and "me" who spoke, giving "his word" through "my tongue," said David, in his last words, shortly before he died.

David was not a perfect man. We remember his grievous sin, not only against Uriah the Hittite, but even more against the Lord (2 Samuel 12:9-14), thus giving "great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme."

He had to suffer greatly because of this, but his repentance was genuine, and he was graciously restored by God to fellowship and service. The Lord's own testimony concerning him was this: "I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will" (Acts 13:22).

It is little wonder that so many loving parents over the many centuries--both Jews and Gentiles--have named their own sons "David," for the very name means "beloved." HMM  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 pm
Luke 21:15

I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your
adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:32 am
Rebels against the Light
December 14, 2011

"They are of those that rebel against the light; they know not the ways thereof, nor abide in the paths thereof." (Job 24:13)

A major stumbling block for those who reject Christ is the clear biblical teaching that salvation is conditioned on believing on Christ as Savior. "Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

But what about sincere clean-living people who do not believe in Christ, and especially those who never hear of Christ?

Paul responds thus: "O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?" (Romans 9:20). God is our Creator, and what He does is right, by definition. No one deserves salvation, for "all have sinned" (Romans 3:23), so God has a perfect right to say: "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy" (Romans 9:15).

But is such arbitrariness just? Does it not go against our Godcreated sense of fairness? Why should some have full access to hearing the gospel, and others never hear at all?

"But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world" [Romans 10:18]. The fact is that all men have received at least some light. The Lord Jesus Himself said: "This is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light. . . . But he that doeth truth cometh to the light" (John 3:19, 21).

Cornelius was such a man. He did not rebel against the light he had, but prayed for more light. Therefore God sent Peter to him (Acts 10), and when he heard, he believed and was saved. Perhaps God will send other "Peters" to any other "Corneliuses" who have believed whatever light they have (in nature, conscience, etc.) with the needed additional light to lead them to Christ. HMM  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:50 am
The Carnal Mind and Death
December 15, 2011

"To be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." (Romans 8:6-7)

This passage defines for us both the carnal mind and the spiritual mind, not with formal definitions, but by giving equivalent terms.

First, the carnal mind is identified as being "enmity against God" (v. 7), a rampant disregard for God’s law. Furthermore, the carnal mind is equated with death, specifically eternal, spiritual death. A physically living person may have a carnal mind, bringing with it a spiritual deadness and eternal doom. This also serves us as a working definition of death--being hostile toward God, or minding the things of the flesh. "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you" (vv. 8-9).

Next, we see that the spiritual mind is "life and peace" (v. 6)--a supreme preference for God and subjection to His will. This state not only leads to eternal life but is life, along with peace, even now. There can be no peace for the carnally minded.

Some would wrongly teach that the physical death of the unbeliever leads to the total annihilation of his body, soul, and spirit. However, this passage teaches that the minding of "the things of the flesh" (v. 5) does not only lead to ultimate physical death, but is death right now.

Death is not the extinction of being, but the alienation of that being from Christ. "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die; but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live" (v. 13). "If Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness" (v. 10). JDM  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 am
Paul and Titus
December 16, 2011

"To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour." (Titus 1:4)

On the surface, this verse might be considered insignificant and could easily be missed, for it is part of a lengthy greeting to Titus by Paul at the beginning of this very practical book. However, many nuggets are contained therein, and it is well worth our study.

Titus was one of Paul's most trusted companions. He was a faithful worker who had accompanied Paul on a number of his journeys. Late in Paul's life, after years of discipleship, Paul asked Titus to carry on the work he had started in Crete, an island well known for its deplorable moral state. Paul may have been instrumental in Titus' initial conversion, for he calls him "mine own son," literally "my true child," a very endearing term. The bond of "common faith" gave them a mutual goal, and, of course, it is the same faith which we share today.

Paul greets Titus with "grace, mercy, and peace." Grace is a manifestation of God's love toward undeserving rebels, resulting in forgiveness and blessing. "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Romans 3:24). Mercy is the attitude of God toward those who are in distress. "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16). Peace comes as a result of the restoration of harmony between God and the forgiven one. "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1).

This threefold blessing comes from both "God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour." What a comfort to recognize both Father and Son as involved in the bestowment of all aspects of our salvation. JDM  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:26 am
Matthew 9:29

Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:28 am
Ezekiel 36:26

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit
will I put within you: and I will take away the
stony heart out of your flesh, and
I will give you an heart of flesh.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:33 am
The Beginning of Wisdom
December 17, 2011

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." (Psalm 111:10)

This age has rightly been called the "age of information." With multitudes of books and periodicals in every field of study and practice, with billions of dollars devoted to all kinds of research, and now even the "information superhighway" of the Internet. It seems everyone and every organization is posting information of some sort on its own website and email. The world is almost drowning in information.

"But where shall wisdom be found and where is the place of understanding?" (Job 28:12). Job's urgent question can never be answered "online," but only in an ancient book. "Behold, the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding" [Job 28:28].

This spiritual truism is found often in that Book. King Solomon, to whom God had granted special wisdom (1 Kings 3:11-12), penned divinely inspired words when he wrote: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge," and then "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding" (Proverbs 1:7; 9:10).

If anything is missing in our information age, it is surely the fear of God, at least among most people--even most religious people. But, as our text says: "A good understanding have all they that do his commandments."

From our New Testament perspective, we now know that "in |Christ| are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Colossians 2:3). "And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment" (1 John 3:23). Herein is true knowledge and understanding and wisdom. HMM  
Inspiration

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff