Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
why do people hate gays/bi's? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 pm
lgtenos
People can tell you're bisexual? Wow. They must have REALLY keen gaydars.

Or it's his shirt that reads "I AM BISEXUAL" that's giving him away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm
I have a keen gaydar.. course I'm gay.. but anywho, Its just people hating the 'cultural diverse'. People fear the unkown and fear the difference. Some people just hate it because they're being told to hate it.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm
I never got the gaydar thing, that or mine is way off. XD

I think the only way people can tell if you are checking out guys and girls and talking about both and people are noticing and picking that up. That or they go by stereotypes.

Possible your friend could of said something, though you shouldn't accuse them, just talk to them as rumors are just that, rumors and it could of been an accidental slip up.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:49 pm
Some of that may be paranoia, some of it may be the t-shirt (or dress sense) that's giving you away, and some of it may be that you have a blabbermouth of a best friend.

I think it has to do, strongly, with sexism, and old habits.

The first is that people who believe one gender dominates the other also believe in definite gender roles, and gays, lesbians, trans, et cetera, defy those roles. Thus they're wrong, a threat, not natural, you name it, because if you admit they're people too, you have to explain why in some corner of your tiny little mind you think your gender defines who you are and what you're supposed to do with your life.

The second is rather simpler- we're lazy, and if the status quo works for us, we tend to cling to it. We teach our kids religion, and every other thing, because we know it works for us. It may not be the best, but hey, it carried us through, why not them? Unfortunately that means that gays, being a relatively new thing to come out of the closet, scare some people to death, because they're different. Get rid of people who think differently, and change doesn't happen, so if we're cozy where we are, we try to get rid of anything new or different.  

Art Greylace

Dapper Cutie-Pie

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 am
I agree with what everyone is saying about the Bible..
But, what a lot of people don't realize is that "hate" is something that is taught.
We learn it.. I mean, once you get older and can think for yourself, that's when people start to hate things for no reason.
But the majority of people against gays are against gays because that's how they were taught.
If you're taught something growing up, then that's what you feel is the right thing.. i feel bad for all those kids that get brainwashed >.<  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 am
it's my understanding that most of the time its how people are raised. Not in all cases but usually as children they're are raised to believe that homosexuality is disgusting, wrong or a sin. and depending on where they grow up their parents teachings might be reinforced by friends and schoolmates from what those people have heard and have been told. It's like a reinforced cycle that spreads from generation to generation and from environmental influence to environmental influence. Usually its religion or just plain ignorance that fuels it but as someone mentioned people don't take a liking to what they don't understand. but I've heard people say things like, "I hate blacks/gays" and then they'll say, "but I have this black/gay friend..." (just an example) They got to know someone whom they were pre-decidedly prejudice for and then were able to become friends with them. This kind of shows the irony of judging a group of people based on what you were told or don't know about them. Because to hate somebody based off of something they can't help doesn't account for who they are as a person, because it doesn't make them who they are.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 am
wiccan_sk8er
I agree with what everyone is saying about the Bible..
But, what a lot of people don't realize is that "hate" is something that is taught.
We learn it.. I mean, once you get older and can think for yourself, that's when people start to hate things for no reason.
But the majority of people against gays are against gays because that's how they were taught.
If you're taught something growing up, then that's what you feel is the right thing.. i feel bad for all those kids that get brainwashed >.<

agreed. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 pm
xxxyouwantitx
I DONT GET IT! whats the deal with straight people haveing issues with gay/ bisexual people? why cant they accept this? tell me what you think is the matter with straights, explain your answer (optional). but every corner i turn around, people can just tell im bisexual and iv never seen them before i guess rumors that are true? my best friend told everyone? idk how they all know
, why is this?!?!?!

Honestly? It's the base of all human nature to regect what is not a majority of the population. That's why we enslaved blacks. Why we hated the asians and europeans for those times in history.
Homosexuality doesn't fit in the the perfect sense of our supposidly free nation. It's not natural. Immoral and wrong. But that's only because of the largest number of human beings don't open their mind and see outside of the perverted rules or warped thinking of other people and think for themselves. They are not the ignorant they are the stupid.
The smaller percentage of people who do see things in a different way are oppressed and repressed. If they would come forward and admit things or try to make their ideals known we might not be so closed mind.
They take the love out of context and place it in a place where it's static and not dynamic. Love is not something you control. I love my friends. I love my family. I love the frickin' color purple. It's a preference and no one has the right to tell you do do anything you don't want to. You can't make me love or even like the color red, which I hate. So telling someon they can't love a certain way is again, stupidity.

As for me, I will honestly tell you I'm bisexual. I will date anyone. I'm nice like that. I lean towards women but I won't hold gender against anyone. And I would walk around with the "I'm bi-sexual" shirt myself to make it known. Cause god, it would be so much easier than having to explain all that s**t.
Don't take it personally for their small and inable minds to accept a concept that is too far above their capabilities. ^w^ Just smile and ask why it matters. If you are confident about it they seem to go away.  

RosesandBlood

Precious Star

14,825 Points
  • Team Devin 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Guildmember 100

Falsequivalence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:29 pm
I feel slightly offended by the many "Christian" terms and the limiting to straight people hating on people of other sexualities.
I've met gay people who hated straight and bi-sexual people (For one reason or another), Christians who support gay rights, and even gay Christians who are against gay rights for one reason or another. Rascist gay people, and just wide varieties of people.

Hate is NOT limited.
Please don't try to simplify it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:55 pm
It's ignorance and fear of the unknown.  

DoctorButler

6,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 pm
Humans fear what they don't understand. More often than not, they show this fear as hate, transforming fear to hate.

They don't understand bi/gay's views, on love and such, so they fear it. More often than not, it turns to hate.

Asking this is asking the very nature of humanity. I do not claim to know the answer, but I hope my conclusion is enough to sate curiosity.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 pm
Fatestitcher
I feel slightly offended by the many "Christian" terms and the limiting to straight people hating on people of other sexualities.
I've met gay people who hated straight and bi-sexual people (For one reason or another), Christians who support gay rights, and even gay Christians who are against gay rights for one reason or another. Rascist gay people, and just wide varieties of people.

Hate is NOT limited.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^  

Tsukasa wave

Tipsy Trader

9,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 pm
Fatestitcher

Hate is NOT limited.

Well put!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:06 pm
DoctorButler
It's ignorance and fear of the unknown.

And the fact they want to maintain their "power" and being used to seeing people in boxes!  

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 pm
angelfromdown-under
Why do people hate blacks/arabs/muslim/asian etc?
Its human nature to hate that which we don't understand.

There a fine limit to that; why hate? Why can't they just move on with their lives? They do realize they don't have to befriend us or anything just carry on their business? Some people DON'T EVEN WANT to understand!  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff