Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Coping with stress Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:53 am
iShotElmo8D
Taeryyn
iShotElmo8D
When I'm stressed out, I punch the wall. stare But anyway, this is helpful.

Maybe you and I both ought to invest in punching bags. smile

Don't tell me you do the same. lol

I did a few times when I was younger, but no, not any more. That's not to say there aren't times that I'd like to, though. razz Hence my discussion with lgtenos about punching bags. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 am
Taeryyn
iShotElmo8D
Taeryyn
iShotElmo8D
When I'm stressed out, I punch the wall. stare But anyway, this is helpful.

Maybe you and I both ought to invest in punching bags. smile

Don't tell me you do the same. lol

I did a few times when I was younger, but no, not any more. That's not to say there aren't times that I'd like to, though. razz Hence my discussion with lgtenos about punching bags. biggrin

Actually I have one, but it's in my brothers room..Not sure if he'd let me borrow it, he's pretty selfish. stare  

Pompette

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 am
Taeryyn

I would guess that could make it hard to function, especially if the problem that's causing the stress doesn't resolve itself quickly.

It can be difficult at time, but in all truth this stress mainly started around the end of last year. At least the stress that lasts for awhile.
I forgot to say how I cope with it xD Mainly I'll listen to music, and I'll try to do something creative since those are the thoughts that are mostly blocked out when I'm stressed. But I tend to sit on a couch and just stare off into space. But I'd have to say the biggest stress reliever, is walking around a house and singing songs~

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 am

It can be difficult at time, but in all truth this stress mainly started around the end of last year. At least the stress that lasts for awhile.
I forgot to say how I cope with it xD Mainly I'll listen to music, and I'll try to do something creative since those are the thoughts that are mostly blocked out when I'm stressed. But I tend to sit on a couch and just stare off into space. But I'd have to say the biggest stress reliever, is walking around a house and singing songs~

That's good to know. A couple of people have mentioned that music really helps. Is there any type of music in particular that works best for you? For example, do you prefer upbeat tunes to lift your mood, or broody/angry songs that provide an outlet?

Actually, I'll pose this question to you all: For those of you who use music to destress, what music do you prefer? Just anything that you enjoy, or are there specific genres, artists, or songs that are especially good when you're wound up?  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:07 am
Taeryyn

That's good to know. A couple of people have mentioned that music really helps. Is there any type of music in particular that works best for you? For example, do you prefer upbeat tunes to lift your mood, or broody/angry songs that provide an outlet?

Actually, I'll pose this question to you all: For those of you who use music to destress, what music do you prefer? Just anything that you enjoy, or are there specific genres, artists, or songs that are especially good when you're wound up?

It depends, every once in a blue moon when I'm stressed, I'm depressed as well. And oddly I listen to music that have confusing lyrics and meanings of which I think hard about, which gets my mind off of the stress. While most of the time I listen to party, techno, and dance songs. One of my favorite stress reliving bands would be BIGBANG. Their a Korean band so I can't understand the lyrics, but that makes it better so I can escape through the music. Not to sound like a crazy person xD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:08 am
Taeryyn
I have an apartment below me, another above me, and one next door. My building is not very sound-proofed, unfortunately. xp (As I type this, I could listen to the conversation in the apartment next door, and they aren't being loud.)

Yeah, I don't suggest getting a punching bag then. Your neighbors might file a noise complaint, heh.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 pm
Taeryyn
DresdenDawl
Healthy habits are the best!!
Too bad I don't have any....I don't like losing my own blood, so I burn instead of cutting. Its hurts alot more which in turn works faster. cat_stare But so I don't run out of places that people wont see, I also smoke....alot. cat_burning_eyes

(Love the username, by the way.) Agreed, healthy is the way to go. :3
Ouch, burning? I would imagine that would scar quite badly. I've worked in a couple of pizzerias and a bakery, and I'm a bit of a klutz, so I have a number of burn scars. Aloe vera is a godsend, though.

lgtenos
I punch, kick, elbow, knee, heatbutt, hammer-fist, and foot-stomp my punching bag. I do Krav Maga.

I was expecting something like that from you. biggrin The idea of beating the crap out of a punching bag really appeals to me. I just worry about noise, since I'm in an apartment. Is it necessarily loud, or does it depend on the kind of punching bag?

When I'm stressed, it's almost as if I mentally shut down. My mind doesn't think of anything but the thing I am stressed on, and I tend to be stressed on something quite often. I find myself not being able to think quickly, especially with anything artistic. I've learned to block it out, and simply try and take care of the situation as soon as I can. ^_^ It's almost hard to explain xD

I would guess that could make it hard to function, especially if the problem that's causing the stress doesn't resolve itself quickly.

Playboy Karasu Uchiha
I practice Tai'chi, qigong and yoga. Sometimes I use belly dance and drawing to cope but sometimes it increases it as well as sewing costumes. Music is great, I live off music.

I have these fighting fans I practice with. I love fans.

Video games is good. I can take it out on characters. cool

If I am under a lot of stress, I tend to cry. Especially when it comes to my Health Infomation Management classes, they are known to be killer. Ugh, you should of seen the final for are pathology class (I think no one managed to finish it due to the amount of work we were given and lack of time). gonk

I hate pain and getting sick, so no drugs, self-harm or a lot of drinking for me, it would just make it worse and not look good and would be hard to hide with some of my clothing and costuming. I kind of hate medication as it make me sicker than I already was and made the anxiety much worse. I actually gotten into a discussion about anxiety with my dance teacher while in class and she told me there are these drops you take that is supposed to help calm you down and get it at health stores.

I tend to pick a lot of stressful hobbies and career choices. sweatdrop

You seem to have an excellent repertoire of de-stressing activities! That's awesome. I've done yoga to some extent, and enjoyed it. Do you practice tai'chi alone, or with others?

There's certainly nothing wrong with avoiding drugs, drinking, or self-harm. I don't think I know anyone who's gotten into the habit of hurting themselves that would encourage anyone else to try it. sweatdrop

Would anyone mind if I collected their positive coping methods for a list of healthy suggestions in the first post? smile

I practice alone as there are no classes nearby.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:59 pm
I don't know- I always seem to be stressed out. (or at least- I'm assuming that's why I'm always depressed... And my bad temper) listening to music is the best. My brain wont function enough to read if I'm stressed  

Sinna Roll

Bashful Warrior

13,075 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:56 pm
Taeryyn

This may sound odd, but listening to songs in a different language other than English really helps. Since I (usually) can't understand what they're saying, I can kind of feel the music on a different level, so it's just pure emotion. Then I just sing and the rest is history. xp

But it's mostly sad or calm sounding songs.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm
@Taeryyn: Yes headaches are indeed miserable, I get them every day.
Well for me, pulling my hair is like slamming my head against the wall, it may be to try and erase the stress or to get attention in public??? ^ ^;;;  

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm
Veneficus Monstrum

This may sound odd, but listening to songs in a different language other than English really helps. Since I (usually) can't understand what they're saying, I can kind of feel the music on a different level, so it's just pure emotion. Then I just sing and the rest is history. xp

But it's mostly sad or calm sounding songs.

I do this with Spanish and Japanese music...except I know some the words and make up the rest XD  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Emo Kuromi Nui

I do this with Spanish and Japanese music...except I know some the words and make up the rest XD

Hahaha, yeah it's usually Japanese music with me too. Well, it's mostly that but sometimes I throw in some Italian.  

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 pm
@Veneficus: Oh Italian?~ Any music recommendations? smile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 pm
Anime. Simple, effective solution to all of your problems. xd  

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 pm
The Neko CatGirl
Anime. Simple, effective solution to all of your problems. xd

LOL depends on the anime though, some ended up just being weird and disturbing.

As for what music I listen, I listen to all sorts from around the world (for my belly dance class, we are getting ready to work with Indian/Bollywood inspired music). My favorites are rock and new wave. I tend to take after my dad more when it comes to taste of music. I've been listening to a lot of Def Leppard lately as well as getting into Foster The People. Really depends on my mood though and if I am having a panic attack or not. I can't listen to a lot of stuff when my mom is around though, we fight over everything.  
Off-Topic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff