Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
How is it wrong? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 pm
in days long past the entire central part of a culture was to have a family unit and to reproduce, children would often die at a young age... actually people could theoretically live to the same ages as us even though the average lifespan was between 20 and 50 because most of that was based on deaths in childhood

men and women had respective roles based around this, in order to survive as a species in some areas, families would have large numbers of kids (14 children let's say), this was common until recently actually, many of us have grandparents or great grandparents that grew up with seven or more siblings

So in their eyes not reproducing was wrong,, gays can't reproduce with eachother... which means to them they weren't contributing to society but were instead taking from it.

this is why homosexuality was forbidden. I hope that this sheds some light onto the subject for you  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:06 pm
I have studied different religions for over 15 years and find it interesting how people like to refer to it and use it as a weapon.

I was reading in the Bible the other day the section that people are always using to say homosexuallity is a sin and I noticed that it says man should not lie with man and than it states man shall not lie with female and than it says man shall not lie with any creatures that God states are unclean. It made me stop and wonder myself than who is man suppose to lie with?

The other issue with the Christian Bible is that it has a list of laws that are broken every day of the week but nobody is being stone to death for them. These include if your child disobeys than you are to immediately stone your child to death, that it is not holy to cut your hair but a sin, that one should not eat shell fish, that one should bring a sacrifice to the God's alter and kill it for him but if he is not in good standing with his brother to go make amends with them, the list goes on and on. Now why do you not follow all those laws to?

Than it controdicts itself throughout the Bible and the stories do not overlap well. God states we should not kill but than tells people to kill such and such for sinning.

States that we should not judge others but than says if such and such has done wrong this is their punishment. The whole Bible contradicts itself.

The Bible says that all our sins were removed and that we should come as we are. To not judge our neighbors but our self. Plus it tries to tell us that we are not to stand up for our self but turn our other cheek and let them smack us harder on that end. If that is the case than we are saying that we want everybody to walk all over us.

Let get this straight people need to stop hiding behind a book that the old testament is over 5000 years old and the new testament is over 2000 years old. Plus remember the meanings of all the text in the book are out of context anymore and that the Pope can change any part of the Bible to fit his ideals upon his death. This is a big issue. So who really wrote the Bible? Plus have you ever seen the original Text or the missing books from it? And do you realize that Mary Madgolin was a cross dresser and that none of the apostles ever had a woman after they met Christ but all slept in the same one bedroom sack and ate from the same table? Got to make you wonder were they straight or gay?
The Christian Society needs look over what is going on and figure out what really is true or not. For a God they say that loves, I have found their religious text is full of pure hatred and killing. Good book to read for a horror story. Christ was never a Christian but a Jew so the lies start right with Christ own religion in the Christian Society.

MistyMary24

Astral Mage

21,825 Points
  • Alien Invasion 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Dragon Uprising 75

FangedNinjaKid5

Thieving Senshi

15,400 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 pm
Dusty-Boy
in days long past the entire central part of a culture was to have a family unit and to reproduce, children would often die at a young age... actually people could theoretically live to the same ages as us even though the average lifespan was between 20 and 50 because most of that was based on deaths in childhood

men and women had respective roles based around this, in order to survive as a species in some areas, families would have large numbers of kids (14 children let's say), this was common until recently actually, many of us have grandparents or great grandparents that grew up with seven or more siblings

So in their eyes not reproducing was wrong,, gays can't reproduce with eachother... which means to them they weren't contributing to society but were instead taking from it.

this is why homosexuality was forbidden. I hope that this sheds some light onto the subject for you

What about now though, Why have it forbidden when there are children around the world that needs help. Why procreate when theres already children around the world that need homes, love, and guidance?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:31 pm
MistyMary24
So who really wrote the Bible? Plus have you ever seen the original Text or the missing books from it?

I always find this to be the most interesting part of discussing scripture. People have a habit of thinking of "The Bible" as this single, unified, authoritative text when it really isn't. Not only was it written by numerous authors scattered over a span of thousands of years with different (often contradictory) viewpoints, but none of those authors ever planned or expected their individual works to become part of the Bible. Instead, long after they had all died, a group got together and basically put together an anthology of some of the most influential Judeo-Christian writings and published it in a single volume. BAM! Suddenly we have "The Bible". And that would be perfectly fine and indeed even quite useful, but only if people actually treated it the same way they treated any other anthology: as an incomplete but relatively broad collection of ideas about a particular subject (in this case, the perception of God's will), that each come from the standpoint of particular individuals who were interested in that issue.

For that reason, every time a Christian tells me "the Bible says _____" I immediately find myself rolling my eyes. And likewise, every time a non-Christian starts talking about how the bible contradicts itself, I also roll my eyes. "The Bible" doesn't say anything or contradict itself, because the entire thing is a posthumous collection of works by authors who often had nothing to do with one another and supported totally different ideas. It would be like me saying "the Norton Anthology of American Literature contradicts itself". This also means that there are no such things as "missing texts", there are just a lot of other writings from comparable sources which were not included in this anthology. You'll notice that nowhere in the actual text is there a single mention "the Bible", because those texts were never intended to be collected together. That's why I always find it hilarious when somebody (like my grandpa, for example) says that all Christians "have to believe every word of the Bible". What? I mean, where does that idea show up in there? Obviously I know that's a much later concept introduced by the church, but still, it's bizarre.  

Purple Robot Queen

MistyMary24

Astral Mage

21,825 Points
  • Alien Invasion 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Dragon Uprising 75
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:46 pm
Purple Robot King
MistyMary24
So who really wrote the Bible? Plus have you ever seen the original Text or the missing books from it?

I always find this to be the most interesting part of discussing scripture. People have a habit of thinking of "The Bible" as this single, unified, authoritative text when it really isn't. Not only was it written by numerous authors scattered over a span of thousands of years with different (often contradictory) viewpoints, but none of those authors ever planned or expected their individual works to become part of the Bible. Instead, long after they had all died, a group got together and basically put together an anthology of some of the most influential Judeo-Christian writings and published it in a single volume. BAM! Suddenly we have "The Bible". And that would be perfectly fine and indeed even quite useful, but only if people actually treated it the same way they treated any other anthology: as an incomplete but relatively broad collection of ideas about a particular subject (in this case, the perception of God's will), that each come from the standpoint of particular individuals who were interested in that issue.

For that reason, every time a Christian tells me "the Bible says _____" I immediately find myself rolling my eyes. And likewise, every time a non-Christian starts talking about how the bible contradicts itself, I also roll my eyes. "The Bible" doesn't say anything or contradict itself, because the entire thing is a posthumous collection of works by authors who often had nothing to do with one another and supported totally different ideas. It would be like me saying "the Norton Anthology of American Literature contradicts itself". This also means that there are no such things as "missing texts", there are just a lot of other writings from comparable sources which were not included in this anthology. You'll notice that nowhere in the actual text is there a single mention "the Bible", because those texts were never intended to be collected together. That's why I always find it hilarious when somebody (like my grandpa, for example) says that all Christians "have to believe every word of the Bible". What? I mean, where does that idea show up in there? Obviously I know that's a much later concept introduced by the church, but still, it's bizarre.

I understand where you are coming from and agree with you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm
Purple Robot King
MistyMary24

I agree, and I never thought about that last point! xD Indeed, it doesn't say "You have to believe every word of this book" ANYWHERE in the Bible.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

La Discutie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 pm
It is against the Catholic faith in particular, to use contraceptives, and to get divorced.
We don't see them trying to make condoms illegal, or divorce illegal. Which also has to do with the fact that some states will NOT make gay marriage legal. They say it will "Ruin the bonds of marriage."
You know because divorce doesn't do that...
Though, I believe in divorce too. (and condoms.)
Generally I just believe its the person's choice.
All in all, people just pick and choose parts of the bible follow.
And as a side note. In the bible it says that you shouldn't use pig's skin.
Footballs are made of pig skin. And the irony is, the most homophobic people that I know are football playing Christians.
Ah, the irony.
Times like this, I am glad that I no longer follow the Catholic faith.
Especially since I'm bi. That alone would be enough to get me dowsed in holy water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm
Splendid Venus
The Bodacious Soul Reaper
I know this very personally, as I have grown up and am currently living in the Bible belt (nickname for the south) and I have grown up in a very religious family.
I always wonder, how can the Bible say that God shall forgive every murderer, rapist, and serial killer out there, but the second you are gay, God shall banish and hate upon you for eternity? Yes, I know it is not those exact words, but that is how I always viewed it.
There is nothing in the Bible that says "God hates gays, and if you are gay, you shall forever be punished." Or anything even along those lines! It is simply because in the Bible it says that God had destroyed a town full of gays, but people do not put in mind that God had destroyed many town, places, and even the world in the Noah's Ark story. It is simply people getting bored, and there was no one left to blame or hate upon. So in the sad fact, they had to choose gays. And now we fight for our rights for simply opinions.
I think back then, as it is viewed now, if you are different from what society is, you don't conform and act like everyone else does, you are viewed as an outsider. Some people take it as far as bullying and hate. There is nothing wrong with being different, and being gay. I personally think being different is what makes a person so special from the bland people nowadays.
All in all, as the Bible has always been, it's simply an outline that you read upon, and create your own opinions based on what you have read, and stretch the words out.

what town full of gays did God destroy?

if you are referring to Sodom and Gomorrah, they were not destroy for having a lot of gay people. they were destroyed for wickedness, violence, rape and other sinful acts. Many people assume its for homosexuality because the Bible refers to the men of the town wanting to be sexual with angels disguised as men but really that was simply the final straw out of many sinful straws before it. even in that instance the sinful act wasn't homosexuality, it would have been the violent rape of angels which is a BIG NO NO. Sex with angels wasn't a good thing plus it produced the Nephilim(giants).

:0 I didn't know about the part with the angels. That makes a lot of sense, actually.

It's having sex with angels that was bad, not humans of the same sex. emotion_awesome

And so, that homophobic argument comes crumbling down.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

shares_stomach_acid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm
The arguments they are making against gay marriage are extremely similar to the arguments they made against racial marriage. Also, a lot of the passages that people quote from the bible as being against homosexuality, is highly debatable. Even the one that states a man shall not lie with another man as he would a women (in my opinion at least. The bible was written thousands of years ago, when women where like slaves. It could easily be an equality thing, rather then a sexual thing) I dunno. The book "The God Box" also goes into really good depth about the bible and being gay and what not.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 am
Splendid Venus
The Bodacious Soul Reaper
I know this very personally, as I have grown up and am currently living in the Bible belt (nickname for the south) and I have grown up in a very religious family.
I always wonder, how can the Bible say that God shall forgive every murderer, rapist, and serial killer out there, but the second you are gay, God shall banish and hate upon you for eternity? Yes, I know it is not those exact words, but that is how I always viewed it.
There is nothing in the Bible that says "God hates gays, and if you are gay, you shall forever be punished." Or anything even along those lines! It is simply because in the Bible it says that God had destroyed a town full of gays, but people do not put in mind that God had destroyed many town, places, and even the world in the Noah's Ark story. It is simply people getting bored, and there was no one left to blame or hate upon. So in the sad fact, they had to choose gays. And now we fight for our rights for simply opinions.
I think back then, as it is viewed now, if you are different from what society is, you don't conform and act like everyone else does, you are viewed as an outsider. Some people take it as far as bullying and hate. There is nothing wrong with being different, and being gay. I personally think being different is what makes a person so special from the bland people nowadays.
All in all, as the Bible has always been, it's simply an outline that you read upon, and create your own opinions based on what you have read, and stretch the words out.

what town full of gays did God destroy?

if you are referring to Sodom and Gomorrah, they were not destroy for having a lot of gay people. they were destroyed for wickedness, violence, rape and other sinful acts. Many people assume its for homosexuality because the Bible refers to the men of the town wanting to be sexual with angels disguised as men but really that was simply the final straw out of many sinful straws before it. even in that instance the sinful act wasn't homosexuality, it would have been the violent rape of angels which is a BIG NO NO. Sex with angels wasn't a good thing plus it produced the Nephilim(giants).

User Image

It's been a while since I've read it, but I thought they were unaware that the men were angels, and that the main offence was that they were not showing proper hospitality to the guests. When the Episcopal church started having its controversy over gay clergy, the church I grew up in was one that was really opposed to it. The presiding bishop of our diocese came to talk to the Vestry about the issue, and that was his explanation for it. Of course, most people in the church didn't care, because small-town bigots know more about biblical history than Bible scholars. rolleyes

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

WalrusCokeheadLizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 am
I agree with you on this. Most of my family completely disagrees with it and they don't really give me a real answer, they just cover it up with, it's in the Bible. There are a lot of things you cannot do according to the Bible. I haven't actually read the whole thing, but it seems so silly for people to use that as their only real excuse  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:14 am
Being attracted to same-sex people does not mean that you can't reproduce. It simply means you won't enjoy the sex or be satisfied by the sex act. I am the product of a gay man having sex with a woman to maintain his beard while in the military.  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

WalrusCokeheadLizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 am
Blackrose_Knight
Being attracted to same-sex people does not mean that you can't reproduce. It simply means you won't enjoy the sex or be satisfied by the sex act. I am the product of a gay man having sex with a woman to maintain his beard while in the military.

Woah, what? Couldn't you just pretend to be straight?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am
WalrusCokeheadLizard
Blackrose_Knight

My dad pretended to be straight to stay in the Army. He married my mother and had sex with her to keep up the mask of being straight. (gay men can in fact have sex with women - it just means that they are not sexually satisfied or happy about it) Mom got preggars from one of those encounters and bam me! It is also possible that my dad is bisexual - I have not been in communication with him in about 10 years.  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

WalrusCokeheadLizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am
Blackrose_Knight
WalrusCokeheadLizard
Blackrose_Knight

My dad pretended to be straight to stay in the Army. He married my mother and had sex with her to keep up the mask of being straight. (gay men can in fact have sex with women - it just means that they are not sexually satisfied or happy about it) Mom got preggars from one of those encounters and bam me! It is also possible that my dad is bisexual - I have not been in communication with him in about 10 years.

Oh wow, that's crazy! Did your mom know about it the whole time? o.o  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces